• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Federal Judge Denies Right-Wing Challenge to Arizona Voter Roll Maintenance Practices

Everyone ought to follow Democracy Docket.

A federal judge denied a right-wing group’s request to require Arizona county election officials to verify the citizenship status of every federal-only voter ahead of the November general election. Current practices for voter roll maintenance will stay in place as litigation continues.

This order is in response to a Sept. 15 request from the plaintiffs asking the court to require the defendants to submit citizenship inquiry requests to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for all federal-only voters before the general election.

Arizona District Judge Krissa Lanham ruled that the plaintiffs lacked standing and failed to show how the relief they requested would address the harm of “vote dilution” that they alleged. Additionally, she noted that voters cannot be removed from voter rolls within 90 days of an election per the National Voter Registration Act.

In her order, she wrote, “The court declines to order Arizona’s county recorders to divert resources from preparing for the general election to instead submitting thousands of requests to DHS.”

That's bullshit. Not everyone in that community thinks the same.

If any individual refuses the help of FEMA for their own situation, that is their right. However, anyone making terroristic threats to federal employees should be arrested.
The problem isn't a matter of refusing help, but threatening them. This sort of stuff:

That's bullshit. Not everyone in that community thinks the same.

If any individual refuses the help of FEMA for their own situation, that is their right. However, anyone making terroristic threats to federal employees should be arrested.
The problem isn't a matter of refusing help, but threatening them. This sort of stuff:

Then the reaction is to have law enforcement remove the threat and then carry on with the job, not to leave.

Please pay attention to the "small print" in that announcement that white people who feel picked on and discriminated against are not going to notice. (See the red font above.) She has released this very clumsy effort to shore up her standing with black voters by appearing to appeal just to them. In fact, a special program for black entrepreneurs would be racially discriminatory, but this isn't actually what she is proposing.
We do not know what she is proposing exactly. "And others" is very vague.
And it's not like race-specific programs would be off-brand for her. Biden-Harris instituted two programs for black farmers.
Black and other minority farmers are getting $2 billion from USDA after years of discrimination
AP said:
The Biden administration has doled out more than $2 billion in direct payments for Black and other minority farmers discriminated against by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the president announced Wednesday.
More than 23,000 farmers were approved for payments ranging from $10,000 to $500,000, according to the USDA. Another 20,000 who planned to start a farm but did not receive a USDA loan received between $3,500 and $6,000.
Most payments went to farmers in Mississippi and Alabama.
[...]
[National Black Farmers Association Founder and President John Boyd Jr.] is still fighting a federal lawsuit for 120% debt relief for Black farmers that was approved by Congress in 2021. Five billion dollars for the program was included in the $1.9 trillion COVID-19 stimulus package.
But the money never came. White farmers in several states filed lawsuits arguing their exclusion was a violation of their constitutional rights, which prompted judges to halt the program shortly after its passage.
I suspect that her problem is more of a misogyny factor rather than trouble finding a business loan.
I think "misogyny" is overrated as a reason she is struggling. Rather, she has always been a very flawed candidate. 2019 showed that.
The anger against immigrants isn't just over the fact that they are immigrants. Don't forget that Trump was clear that he favored letting in more Norwegian immigrants. He didn't specifically say why Norway, but a lot of doggy ears perked up.
I do not think it is fair to reduce it to skin color. Norway is a western country and immigrants from there would easily integrate. Unlike say the Islamists colonizing towns such as Dearborn and Hamtramck in Michigan or Minneapolis, MN, or Clarkston, GA. Even if many of them also have fairly fair skin.

If there's some reason to believe that Harris will have my back against these people when push comes to shove, I'd like to know. It's not what she's signalling right now. I'm worried, and not feeling inclined to be charitable to her. I did not mean to be rude to you, but it's Harris we're discussing.
I am curious. What exactly are you worried about with Harris presidency and alleged threats by "these people"?

If there's some reason to believe that Harris will have my back against these people when push comes to shove, I'd like to know. It's not what she's signalling right now. I'm worried, and not feeling inclined to be charitable to her. I did not mean to be rude to you, but it's Harris we're discussing.
I am curious. What exactly are you worried about with Harris presidency and alleged threats by "these people"?
That she will cave to the Trump's government-in-exile in the name of "working across the aisle", with people whose barely disguised goal is to destroy the aisle and take the country by force.

That she will cave to the Trump's government-in-exile in the name of "working across the aisle", with people whose barely disguised goal is to destroy the aisle and take the country by force.

Seriously? I apologize if you're being sarcastic. I haven't read all the posts in this thread. But this is the kind of conspiracy that would make even Robert Kennedy blush!

Something in the water, Poli? That’s waaay out there.

Only for people who don't pay much attention to politics.

Why did Richard Nixon receive a full and unconditional presidential pardon, Elixir? Not just a pardon for a crime, but a pardon for any and all crimes he may have committed? What was the justification for doing this?

Why did Richard Nixon receive a full and unconditional presidential pardon, Elixir? Not just a pardon for a crime, but a pardon for any and all crimes he may have committed? What was the justification for doing this?
I’d recommend staying away from the crazy right winger conspiracy sites. They want you to get discouraged and either not vote or vote third party.

Probably three-fold, save the GOP from embarrassment, save Nixon from prison, and save the GOP from having to do the right thing. A smaller part would be 'to help the nation move on'.

Probably three-fold, save the GOP from embarrassment, save Nixon from prison, and save the GOP from having to do the right thing. A smaller part would be 'to help the nation move on'.
Yep. Not to mention the fact that a republican (not a democrat) pardoned Nixon.

Please pay attention to the "small print" in that announcement that white people who feel picked on and discriminated against are not going to notice. (See the red font above.) She has released this very clumsy effort to shore up her standing with black voters by appearing to appeal just to them. In fact, a special program for black entrepreneurs would be racially discriminatory, but this isn't actually what she is proposing.
This reminds me of 2000. "But will Gore be his own man?" type arguments. What is Harris going to do? Probably a bunch of stuff any Democrat would do. There certainly is 102% certainty that Harris will not do anything whacky because she lacks the super majority in the Senate to pull it off.

What will Trump do? He's been telling us, and it is kind of fucked up... Project 2025 is designed to allow the Executive Branch to do wholesale changes without any level of Congressional approval.
And it's not like race-specific programs would be off-brand for her. Biden-Harris instituted two programs for black farmers.
Black and other minority farmers are getting $2 billion from USDA after years of discrimination
AP said:
The Biden administration has doled out more than $2 billion in direct payments for Black and other minority farmers discriminated against by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the president announced Wednesday.
More than 23,000 farmers were approved for payments ranging from $10,000 to $500,000, according to the USDA. Another 20,000 who planned to start a farm but did not receive a USDA loan received between $3,500 and $6,000.
Most payments went to farmers in Mississippi and Alabama.
[...]
[National Black Farmers Association Founder and President John Boyd Jr.] is still fighting a federal lawsuit for 120% debt relief for Black farmers that was approved by Congress in 2021. Five billion dollars for the program was included in the $1.9 trillion COVID-19 stimulus package.
But the money never came. White farmers in several states filed lawsuits arguing their exclusion was a violation of their constitutional rights, which prompted judges to halt the program shortly after its passage.
I suspect that her problem is more of a misogyny factor rather than trouble finding a business loan.
I think "misogyny" is overrated as a reason she is struggling. Rather, she has always been a very flawed candidate. 2019 showed that.
And 2008 showed that with Biden, but somehow he pulled 2020 off. Harris's problem isn't being a weak candidate. Her problem is she can't run on "CHANGE" too much, being part of the party in charge of the White House. She is limited with how much she can say she'll modify policies without the reflexive "well, why didn't the Biden Admin do that earlier?" Her campaign is somewhat unprecedented as well, making it harder for campaign runners to know how best to address the typical things of a campaign.

At the moment, with advertising and what not... Harris's gender and race isn't being played... Trump tried and it didn't carry. But immigration, OMFG did that ever catch fire. Caught fire so well, people are buying the FEMA CT crap. I live in a rare competitive house district in Ohio and then there is the Senate race, also tight. Regarding the House seat, they GOP is just making shit up against Sykes, especially regarding immigration. With Brown, it both immigration and transgender. Odd how the economy is barely even mentioned in the relentless anti-Democrat candidate ads. Immigration, immigration, immigration.

Which makes it disingenuous to claim she is making a race-specific proposal.

The justification was to preserve the dignity of the office, reduce the risk of resulting chaos and blah blah.
The reason was likely something quite different.
Irrelevant nonetheless. Trump is not Nixon and Nixon’s supporters weren’t trying to overthrow the government. There was general agreement that a two party system was superior to a one party system, and Nixon didn’t try to run again as a dictator.

Now that is a poll to take with a grain of salt. They are comparing two polls, which really isn't a good way to justify a trend. Effectively, the two polls could indicate that Trump and Harris are even with Independents, or one of them sucked, or Harris gained bigly among Independents. It is inconclusive. With polls tightening up a bit, I'm thinking not much has changed among independents.

Now that is a poll to take with a grain of salt. They are comparing two polls, which really isn't a good way to justify a trend. Effectively, the two polls could indicate that Trump and Harris are even with Independents, or one of them sucked, or Harris gained bigly among Independents. It is inconclusive. With polls tightening up a bit, I'm thinking not much has changed among independents.
Anyone who can look at the felonious dumpster fire of Trump and remain undecided as to whether to throw their weight behind the one candidate who stands between him and the Presidency is not so much "Independent" as they are "Incomprehensible".

Back
Top Bottom