• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Even is not looking good?
Even would make it a tossup, which is too close for comfort.
Frankly I don't trust polls. Young people who avoid polls like the plague aren't counted.
Polls are not simple random samples. They are fed through population and turnout models. I.e. pollsters try to account for discrepancy in response rates.
I honestly have no trust in any polls anymore.

Polls conducted by right wing organizations will decide the results before they conduct a poll. The same applies to unobjective left wing polls, although they are much fewer in number.

Also, I don't know how true it is that young people don't participate in polls, but it's likely true that they don't answer their phones when it's not a person in their contacts.

Are seniors more likely to participate based on the notion that they have landlines and answer the phone like they're still living in 1975? I don't think so.

There's money to be made in polling. 538 is a good example of a massive scam that people fall for during every election cycle. Nate Silverman is a sleazebag. Back in 2012 he gained popularity by accurately predicting a lot of outcomes. He took all the credit he could for those predictions. Following that however, whenever they got it wrong, he/his organization would come up with this bullshit line of "We don't make predictions, we only present possibilities! You just don't understand statistics!"

When you provide every possible outcome, you can't be wrong, but 538, despite its claims of not making predictions, still sells itself as a predictor of outcomes.

Here's my prediction: either Harris or Trump will win.

Now give me money.
Will you accept the Pacific peso (aka Aust. $)?

I posted this in another thread, but it probably belongs here:

The disinformation campaigns from the minor local election campaign in some backwater called the United States of somewhere or other, are now affecting important electoral decisions in major internationally important polities, such as the great state of Queensland, where we have our election on Saturday October 26th, after a gruelling twenty-six day campaign.

Apparently a bunch of anti-vax loonies calling themselves "My Place Australia" are now up in arms, because they say the election is threatened by hackers who are attacking voting machines supplied by Dominion, and are attempting to steal the election.

These nupties appear not to care, or perhaps merely to refuse to believe, that no voting machines of any kind have ever been used in any Australian election.

This is the kind of international stupid that results from the untargetted nature of the Internet. Russian trolls post propaganda aimed at people in the Sunshine State, but it winds up on the feeds of people who live in a completely different Sunshine State.
Ah Queensland - beautiful one day. Perfect the next.

Or as we say in Victoria. Queensland one hour behind in time (during daylight saving), 20 years behind in thinking all the time.

...something wonderful.
Almost anything is better than what Rump has planned.
I was gonna vote for Biden, Cus he ain't Rump. Harris seems better than Biden.
That is the only issue this election. Get Rump and the republicans OUT of politics.
If Trump will be elected, he will do nothing about the world ouside USA => and that will lead to many serious conflicts and even wars.
Result = USA will be in many wars the next 10 years.

In yet another display of deception, Donald Trump’s recent rally in Scranton, Pennsylvania, featured supposed "firefighters" who were anything but. As uncovered by The Times-Tribune, the individuals behind Trump at the event, holding signs that read “Scranton Firefighters for Trump,” were not actually firefighters, much like the faux “auto workers” who stood behind JD Vance at a rally in Detroit recently.

During the Scranton rally, Trump praised the fake firefighters, claiming their support, while the crowd cheered on. Some of the fake firefighters even dressed up as law enforcement. Yet, shortly after the event, the Scranton Fire Department union, Local 60, swiftly distanced itself from the spectacle. In an official statement, the union confirmed that none of its members were involved in the rally, nor had they endorsed any candidate for president. Union president Allen Lucas further clarified that none of the individuals seen in photos from the rally were active or retired Scranton firefighters.

Hurricane recovery officials in N.C. relocated amid report of ‘armed militia,’ email shows​

Safety fears are growing as misinformation collides with a large-scale federal recovery effort.

LAKE LURE, N.C. — Federal emergency response personnel on Saturday had employees operating in hard-hit Rutherford County, N.C., stop working and move to a different area because of concerns over “armed militia” threatening government workers in the region, according to an email sent to federal agencies helping with response in the state.

Around 1 p.m. Saturday, an official with the U.S. Forest Service, which is supporting recovery efforts after Hurricane Helene along with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, sent an urgent message to numerous federal agencies warning that “FEMA has advised all federal responders Rutherford County, NC, to stand down and evacuate the county immediately. The message stated that National Guard troops 'had come across x2 trucks of armed militia saying there were out hunting FEMA.’”

The setback is one of the latest examples of growing concerns about safety and security in western North Carolina, where many towns were almost wiped off the map after the historic hurricane made landfall two weeks ago. In the weeks since, misinformation and rumors have made the recovery more difficult, targeting multiple federal agencies operating as part of the recovery. Federal officials such as the secretary for the Department of Homeland Security and FEMA’s director of public affairs have been the target of antisemitic attacks.

Chimney Rock, in Rutherford County, has become one of the centers of tension and conflict after a rumor spread on social media that government officials planned to seize the decimated village and bulldoze bodies under the rubble. Authorities and news outlets debunked the assertion, but people still took to social media imploring militias to go after FEMA.

Those wonderful tRump people.

I do not share your feeling that Harris is planning to capitulate to Republican whims.
I am looking forward to (assuming she has a congress to avoid gridlock) progressive movement.
Out of curiosity, why? Is it just wishful thinking? She has been very careful not to promise any such thing.
Yes, she’s very carefully trying not to scare away the Republicans who are abandoning Trump. And I think she’s learned a lot from Joe Biden who worked across the aisle for decades.

I don’t think there will be as much profit guess as you would like or as I would like but, yes, I think there will be progress.

The alternative is a horrific scenario so, I’m holding on to hope.

Except the people making them unwelcome are not the people they are there to help.

How would you feel if your house was on fire, and your neighbours successfully intimidated the Fire Department into not fighting the blaze?

Would you feel that you didn't deserve help, because your belligerent asshole neighbours represent you in some fashion? I doubt it.

I do not share your feeling that Harris is planning to capitulate to Republican whims.
I am looking forward to (assuming she has a congress to avoid gridlock) progressive movement.
Out of curiosity, why? Is it just wishful thinking? She has been very careful not to promise any such thing.
Yes, she’s very carefully trying not to scare away the Republicans who are abandoning Trump. And I think she’s learned a lot from Joe Biden who worked across the aisle for decades.
Idiotic strategy, if you ask me. If they were sympathetic to Trump, they'd be voting for him. She came out swinging, and it was working for her. Now she's getting mealy-mouthed and inconsistent, and she's slipping in the polls. People wanted, if nothing else, an anti-Trump. Not a typical Democrat. If they think that's all people want, roll Biden back in.

Idiotic strategy, if you ask me. If they were sympathetic to Trump, they'd be voting for him. She came out swinging, and it was working for her. Now she's getting mealy-mouthed and inconsistent, and she's slipping in the polls. People wanted, if nothing else, an anti-Trump. Not a typical Democrat. If they think that's all people want, roll Biden back in.
For Republicans that have some shred of decency and understanding intact, they are voting AGAINST Trump. Like me, they see a Trump return to power as the end of the United States. Voting third party is not an option that leads to a Trump defeat. It’s just not.

I think that Harris is trying to not scare them off and maybe lure a few iin si they can feel they are not abandoning their conservative principles. Democrats have long billed themselves as the big tent party. They’re saying: Refugees from Trumpocalypse welcome here!!

Now, I do NOT understand where they all were during the nomination process—Trump should NEVER been allowed to have the nomination in 2016. He sure as hell should never have been considered a possibility in 2024.

Last edited:
OMG!
tRump is coming up in the polls!
I am really concerned now that my dumb ass countrymen are going to elect him.
WTF!
Well, maybe if the dumb asses do, his second term will such a complete mess that the repugs are destroyed.
Only hope now maybe to get back the house and hold the senate.

I don’t think there will be as much profit guess as you would like or as I would like but, yes, I think there will be progress.

Was the reddened phrase a completely-wrong construct of your brain and fingers? Or was some speech rendering or spell-checking involved?

In the former case, I'm happy to see you blunder as I do! 8-) My posts would be nonsensical word salads if I didn't proofread carefully.

Back
Top Bottom