• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Only for people who don't pay much attention to politics.
I'm damn certain it is *you* who isn't paying attention.

How to put this without compromising people?

I've admitted in another thread that I used to work in the Australian Tax Office. It's entirely possible that I worked in their office in Parramatta, Sydney with lots of other people. Some, or maybe even only just one, of those people now work for DFAT. Who are working estimates as to what our posture should be depending on the outcome of the US election.

There's a rumour that those two postures are very fucking different depending on the outcome.

Simply put - placing Trump in a gilded cage isn't going to cut it. Not from any point of view.

"The louder the cannon, the deafer the peacemakers". Even if there is no further insurrection, I look forward to at least a decade of "This isn't the time to address that concern -- you don't want to go back to TRUMP do you?!"
Last time I checked, that's called a step in the right direction. Let me be the first to inform you the unfortunate fact that your vote doesn't cure cancer or eliminate poverty.

"The louder the cannon, the deafer the peacemakers". Even if there is no further insurrection, I look forward to at least a decade of "This isn't the time to address that concern -- you don't want to go back to TRUMP do you?!"
Last time I checked, that's called a step in the right direction. Let me be the first to inform you the unfortunate fact that your vote doesn't cure cancer or eliminate poverty.
I don't know why everyone thinks I overestimate the power of the vote, when I'm the only one here who doesn't buy the idiotic premise that winning in November is "all that matters". Like, I am well aware of that. Are you? Fascism cannot and will not be defeated in the ballot box.

Fascism cannot and will not be defeated in the ballot box.
I think we all know and accept that fascism will be a present element in any democratic society, but we don’t need to give the country over to fascism to “keep the peace” (it won’t) or to “make the trains run on time” (it might, for a while). It’s favored by a minority and instituting it would be antithetical to everything that made democracy work - to the extent that it did, which IMO has been considerable.
IOW fuck those god damned Nazi motherfuckers.

I don't know why everyone thinks I overestimate the power of the vote, when I'm the only one here who doesn't buy the idiotic premise that winning in November is "all that matters". Like, I am well aware of that. Are you? Fascism cannot and will not be defeated in the ballot box.
In reality fascism will be defeated by Hitler's favorite mountain.

Oh, it can be defeated *by* the ballot box. Not *in* the ballot box. But how's this for a paradox; fascism is also won by a ballot box. I'll give you a few minutes to figure out how both axioms are equally true. I'll give you a hint - you're supporting that long schlepp towards Gehenna with your attitude.

That's bullshit. Not everyone in that community thinks the same.

If any individual refuses the help of FEMA for their own situation, that is their right. However, anyone making terroristic threats to federal employees should be arrested.
The problem isn't a matter of refusing help, but threatening them. This sort of stuff:

Then the reaction is to have law enforcement remove the threat and then carry on with the job, not to leave.
The problem is that you don't know how many are out there. We have the sheriff saying it was just one guy, but I do not trust that. It's the same as various other events that have been cancelled because of threats.

Fascism cannot and will not be defeated in the ballot box.
I think we all know and accept that fascism will be a present element in any democratic society, but we don’t need to give the country over to fascism to “keep the peace” (it won’t) or to “make the trains run on time” (it might, for a while). It’s favored by a minority and instituting it would be antithetical to everything that made democracy work - to the extent that it did, which IMO has been considerable.
IOW fuck those god damned Nazi motherfuckers.
Well, I agree. Ergo, the politics of compromise and half measures is not what's needed when the minority party is leaning heavily into fascist ideology. This is not something to be safely met halfway, ambivalently, indistinctly, or without a plan.

Last edited:
I'll give you a hint - you're supporting that long schlepp towards Gehenna with your attitude.
I have a feeling that if I tell what I think you're getting at, you'll wail that I mischaracterized you. So why don't you spell it out for me in clearer terms, and we can go from there. There's no need to be shy, we're all friends here. Go on. Make your argument.

I'll give you a hint - you're supporting that long schlepp towards Gehenna with your attitude.
I have a feeling that if I tell what I think you're getting at, you'll wail that I mischaracterized you. So why don't you spell it out for me in clearer terms, and we can go from there. There's no need to be shy, we're all friends here. Go on. Make your argument.
No problem. That's actually fair enough.

There is a choice in front of you. Because it is not the exact precise choice that you have fantasized about, you believe throwing a tantrum is the better solution. Personally, I think the upcoming US election is probably the most defining election for the US because of the 2 stark differences on the ballot at the top.

But it's not just the ballot at the top is it? On the first Tuesday of November as citizens you get to vote for a whole bunch of other shit don't you? Like the legislative body (or what you call Congress). Or like the Senate (or what you call the Senate). You even get to vote for "propositions" and Judges and fucking Sheriffs!

And that is how actual change is done. From the fucking ground up. Deciding who is President is a start, but it's only a start.

And if you think that is hard work...tough fucking shit. I'm pretty certain why you only quoted half of my post instead of my whole fucking post; and that was in the hopes you don't get an answer such as this which is to say -

- for the government you want, you have to put the fucking work in and not be a lazy whiny cunt. Those Taliban-esque Christian who basically banned abortion in your country? Those fucking cunts put the work in for fucking decades to make your country more like what they think it deserves. You don't like that? Stop being a lazy cunt and put some effort into it. Or be a first world Afghanistan. I'm done giving a fuck.

Call me what you'd like, mate.

Back
Top Bottom