• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

I kinda thought presidents were s’posed to be in charge of foreign policy and the military. Lately they even get to do their very own “not a” wars, but afaik there used to be a requirement that Congress had to declare war and stuff … now it’s all under the table.

I kinda thought presidents were s’posed to be in charge of foreign policy and the military. Lately they even get to do their very own “not a” wars, but afaik there used to be a requirement that Congress had to declare war and stuff … now it’s all under the table.
Yes, declarations of war went out of style after World War II.  Declaration of war - some nations have declared war on other nations, but the US hasn't.

The Budget and Accounting Act of 1921 established for the first time the requirement that the President annually submit a budget proposal to Congress. Under current law (31 U.S.C. §1105(a)), the President is required to submit the budget proposal to Congress on or after the first Monday in January, but no later than the first Monday in February.

The president is deeply involved with legislation, and has been since the U.S. evolved our two party system. Of course no presidential budget is ever passed as a whole.

I, PRESIDENT DONALD J TRUMP, do hereby submit the following budget for 2025:
1:1
Give me all the money and don’t ask any questions.

1:2
See direction in 1:1

1:3 through 783:19
Refer to 1:2

Signed __________

Technically, yes. Under the table, presidents were de facto declaring wars since before we even had a president. Our very first one started a dang war by accident when he was just a leftenant kernel.

I seem to recall that the original idea was that President and VP would be separately elected, and could be from completely different political ideologies (but then party politics was invented, and it all went in a very different direction than was anticipated by the writers of the constitution).
yes. Imagine Biden as President and Trump as VP. Like the founding fathers intended. Yikes!

Overwhelming majority of Americans see democracy at risk ahead of 2024 election

1 in 3 Republicans think political related violence is needed. More than twice that of Democrats. This is on Trump. McConnell stole democracy in silence, Trump is destroying democracy at the bully pulpit

The last act is beginning. My question is “when will Congressional Republicans get the message”?

IMG_0822.jpeg

I do not personally think presidents should be involved in the legislative process at all aside from signing the results into law, but as most Americans seem to fervently disagree with me on that, I prefer to at least have someone competent (and convincingly literate) in the role.
The rest of the world looks forward to that blessed day.
Glass houses...
When we break our glass houses nobody cares. When you mob do it hurts.

I do not personally think presidents should be involved in the legislative process at all aside from signing the results into law, but as most Americans seem to fervently disagree with me on that, I prefer to at least have someone competent (and convincingly literate) in the role.
The rest of the world looks forward to that blessed day.
Glass houses...
When we break our glass houses nobody cares. When you mob do it hurts.
Wrong. As in REAL Wrong. There is a well deserved reason to why Australia is despised in South East Asia.

Biden won’t appear on New Hampshire primary ballot - POLITICO
President Joe Biden’s name will not appear on the New Hampshire Democratic presidential primary ballot, as the state moves forward with an unsanctioned nominating contest in 2024.

In a letter to New Hampshire Democratic Party Chair Ray Buckley on Tuesday, Biden campaign manager Julie Chavez Rodriguez wrote that “while the president wishes to participate in the Primary,” he is “obligated” to comply with the Democratic National Committee’s presidential nominating calendar. He will “refrain from submitting a Declaration of Candidacy” ahead of Friday’s filing deadline, she wrote, though he will appear on the general election ballot in November 2024.
This is because New Hampshire's politicians want to be the first in the nation, and the Democratic National Committee has decided to buck that trend and make South Carolina first. Likely because SC supported JB back in 2020.

I concede that I like to see New Hampshire cut down to size.

Democratic Rep. Dean Phillips plans to launch a presidential bid in New Hampshire — maybe - POLITICO - "A venue booking in the Granite State signals he’s serious."
Such a move would be a dramatic leap into the national spotlight for the three-term congressman from Minnesota, who stepped down from his House leadership position over his 2024 flirtation, sparking tension within the caucus. Phillips has been vocal about his objections to the president, who he says would need to be “15-20 years younger” to earn a forceful endorsement.

Phillips has taken several steps toward solidifying a run of his own in recent weeks, including outreach to potential staffers and top New Hampshire Democrats. He’s also told fellow House members that he plans to launch a challenge to Biden.
Checking on govtrack.us I find that he's a rather centrist sort of Democrat, a relatively conservative one.

Dean Phillips, Representative for Minnesota's 3rd Congressional District - GovTrack.us - he's somewhat above average in Congressional leadership

RealClearPolitics - Election 2024 - 2024 Republican Presidential Nomination - not much change

I've seen the theory that they are all running for Vice President.

2024 United States presidential election

Dem:
  • Marianne Williamson - 2023 Mar 4
  • RFK Jr - 2023 Apr 19 - Oct 9 - now running as an Independent
  • Joe Biden - 2023 Apr 25
  • Cenk Uygur - 2023 Oct 11
  • Dean Phillips - 2023 Oct 26
Rep:
  • Donald Trump - 2022 Nov 15
  • Nikki Haley - 2023 Feb 14
  • Vivek Ramaswamy - 2023 Feb 21
  • Perry Johnson - 2023 Mar 2 - Oct 20 - endorsed Trump
  • Corey Stapleton - 2023 Mar 10 - Oct 13
  • Asa Hutchinson - 2023 Apr 6
  • Larry Elder - 2023 Apr 20 - Oct 26 - endorsed Trump
  • Ryan Binkley - 2023 Apr 23
  • Tim Scott - 2023 May 19
  • Ron DeSantis - 2023 May 24
  • Mike Pence - 2023 Jun 5
  • Chris Christie - 2023 Jun 6
  • Doug Burgum - 2023 Jun 7
  • Francis Suarez - 2023 Jun 14 - Aug 29
  • Will Hurd - 2023 Jun 22 - Oct 9 - endorsed Haley
Let's see who might be next.
  • Corey Stapleton
  • Asa Hutchinson, Doug Burgum
  • Tim Scott, Chris Christie
  • Mike Pence, Vivek Ramaswamy
  • Nikki Haley
  • Ron DeSantis

Another one bites the dust.
Former Vice President Mike Pence ends campaign for the White House after struggling to gain traction
“After much prayer and deliberation, I have decided to suspend my campaign for president effective today," Pence said at the Republican Jewish Coalition gathering in Las Vegas. “We always knew this would be an uphill battle, but I have no regrets," he said.

Pence becomes the first major candidate to leave a race that has been dominated by his former boss-turned-rival, Donald Trump.

The decision, more than two months before the Iowa caucuses that he had staked his campaign on, saves Pence from the embarrassment of failing to qualify for the third Republican primary debate, Nov. 8 in Miami.

Another one bites the dust.
Former Vice President Mike Pence ends campaign for the White House after struggling to gain traction
“After much prayer and deliberation, I have decided to suspend my campaign for president effective today," Pence said at the Republican Jewish Coalition gathering in Las Vegas. “We always knew this would be an uphill battle, but I have no regrets," he said.

Pence becomes the first major candidate to leave a race that has been dominated by his former boss-turned-rival, Donald Trump.

The decision, more than two months before the Iowa caucuses that he had staked his campaign on, saves Pence from the embarrassment of failing to qualify for the third Republican primary debate, Nov. 8 in Miami.

Yeah. Nobody saw that one coming, but that's because most people forgot he was even still running.

Well fuck, I was really hoping he would make it. Where has all the old-fashioned bigotry gone?
To the House speakership, of course.
I think not. Don't be fooled by what would have been logical under the circumstances. Lesser known is not the same thing as ideologically distant. Mike Johnson is every bit as much an procurator for Trump as Jim Jordan would have been, perhaps even more so. It's true he's an evangelical, and a rabid one, but Johnson will jump whenever Mar-a-Lago tells him to jump, principles be damned. Christians aren't supposed to lie, either.

Back
Top Bottom