• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, and aftermath

Where have I condemned him for not being under constant adult supervision? The point was letting him play with a realistic looking gun, especially since he had adult-like height and build.
slandering her as a drugged up deadbeat
Do you even know what "slander" means? It requires both that the statement is false and also spoken. None of these conditions are met here.
You can't slander somebody with the truth.
Love how you snuck the word "constant" in there :rolleyes: At the time of Tamir Rice's killing (for which you STILL defend the cops even though both had horrible records and should not be cops), you went on and on speculating that Tamir's mother was at home passed out on drugs. You had zero evidence that this was the case, so no it was NOT the "truth". You slandered her (or libeled if you insist). just like you do to every black person and most women in every thread you particupate in.

Yet the video doesn't show any such gun and the wife said he didn't have a gun - so until there is definitive evidence one way or the other, you don't get to claim he was "packing heat"

I have had a book at times though. Maybe you think I should be shot dead for having a book at a bus stop.
Nope. Neither should you be shot dead for eating a sandwich but that doesn't change the fact that <snip>...
you derail every time you can't come up with a rational response

Leave it to Derec to come up with a scenario that vilifies black people. Of all the millions of possible explanations of why the parents would be picking their child up at the bus stop, Derec jumps to "local gangs" as the explanation.
I am not vilifying anybody. I am merely trying to come up with a scenario that explains why he felt it necessary to pack heat while waiting for his son at a bus stop close to the apartment.
bullshit. Aside from the fact that you don't know if he had a gun, you felt it necessary to immediately claim that picking one's child up at the bus stop is "weird" and therefore some how suspect. You were wrong on that, so rather than admit it and drop the nonsense, you double down by speculating about gangs. :rolleyes:

They didn't tell us what page he was on, what kind of bookmark he used, whether it was hardcover or softcover. We're through the looking glass here :rolleyes:
You obviously don't know the difference between reasonable and unreasonable level of detail.
Actually, YOU don't. Who in their right mind gives a fuck what the book title was.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone tell what the title of the book in the picture is?
It's a stock photo so they deliberately chose a book with no identifying characteristics. But if the family is so sure he was reading a book, surely they know what book he was reading.

Did you call them up and ask them, and they didn't know?

Reading more on this..

Thanks for the info on the Brain Injury. Had not seen that yet.

Looking at this photo, it looks like his wallet under the heel of the cop, and the thing circled in the foreground, which appears to be smaller than the wallet, THAT is supposed to be the gun? Are there a lot of guns smaller than a wallet out there?

View attachment 8179

moreover, watching that video, it looks like at 2:00 one of the cops is putting on black gloves, and later some are on the ground (in a different spot, though. Now THAT matches the size of that thing better. But whatever it is, it was clearly not there immediately after the shooting. :(

Looks like a Nitrile glove to me. Went through thousands of them in my days working in the clinical lab in the local hospital.

I have a hard time buying that as a wallet, the shape is wrong. However, I am willing to accept a discarded glove. There are guns that small, it could also be a gun.
There was some confusion in the thread about a wallet but that was cleared by the time of the post you are responding to. That red-circled object was not the wallet. The wallet is behind the officers spread-out left shoe.

The other object--the red-circled object--is closer than the wallet and therefore is not expected to be the same scale--i.e., since it is roughly the same apparent size, it's likely to be a little smaller, OR at least not larger than the regular sized wallet. The shape of the object while it might have one or two gun characteristics is rather amorphous like dog crap or one of those irregularly shaped sections of tarred pavement that come out of a parking lot, not well maintained. There seem to be too many features of the shape and size inconsistent with a gun.

I'll agree the object behind his left shoe is a wallet. However, I'm not certain the object in the right isn't a gun--the smallest of revolvers, pointed about towards the wallet and with the handle away from us would look about like that. I do not believe it's dog crap as it's not on the other video--it's something from what went down. Gun or glove, I don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading more on this..

Thanks for the info on the Brain Injury. Had not seen that yet.

Looking at this photo, it looks like his wallet under the heel of the cop, and the thing circled in the foreground, which appears to be smaller than the wallet, THAT is supposed to be the gun? Are there a lot of guns smaller than a wallet out there?

View attachment 8179

moreover, watching that video, it looks like at 2:00 one of the cops is putting on black gloves, and later some are on the ground (in a different spot, though. Now THAT matches the size of that thing better. But whatever it is, it was clearly not there immediately after the shooting. :(

Looks like a Nitrile glove to me. Went through thousands of them in my days working in the clinical lab in the local hospital.

Nitrile is blue, isn't it??

There was some confusion in the thread about a wallet but that was cleared by the time of the post you are responding to. That red-circled object was not the wallet. The wallet is behind the officers spread-out left shoe.

The other object--the red-circled object--is closer than the wallet and therefore is not expected to be the same scale--i.e., since it is roughly the same apparent size, it's likely to be a little smaller, OR at least not larger than the regular sized wallet. The shape of the object while it might have one or two gun characteristics is rather amorphous like dog crap or one of those irregularly shaped sections of tarred pavement that come out of a parking lot, not well maintained. There seem to be too many features of the shape and size inconsistent with a gun.

I'll agree the object behind his left shoe is a wallet. However, I'm not certain the object in the right isn't a gun--the smallest of revolvers, pointed about towards the wallet and with the handle away from us would look about like that. I do not believe it's dog crap as it's not on the other video--it's something from what went down. Gun or glove, I don't know.

I don't know either because to know requires a lot of proof or being omniscient. What I wrote is that it's probably not a gun because of the size and shape. The shape does not appear consistent with a gun. A glove when you take it off and it's somewhat crumpled will look way more like that than a gun will in both size and shape. And I would still say it's more likely to be dog crap because of the shape than a gun.

They should have muted the part of the video where Scott's moaning.

Yet the video doesn't show any such gun and the wife said he didn't have a gun - so until there is definitive evidence one way or the other, you don't get to claim he was "packing heat"
The physical evidence is the presence of Scott's DNA and fingerprints on the gun they retrieved and also that he had an ankle holster. The video is not clear one way of another, but the physical evidence is pretty definitive. Unless you want to allege a conspiracy involving the entire department.

This is the details of the encounter according to the police.
Charlotte Observer said:
Police on Saturday gave this account of the fatal encounter:
Two officers in plain clothes were in an unmarked car waiting to serve a warrant when Scott’s white SUV pulled in beside them.
They saw Scott roll what they believed to be “a marijuana ‘blunt.’ ” They returned to watching for their suspect, then Vinson saw Scott hold up a gun.
They withdrew to a spot nearby and put on duty vests that said “Police” that would identify them as officers.
When they came back, Scott still had the gun. They identified themselves as police officers, the department said, and told him loudly and repeatedly to drop the weapon. Scott did not comply.
Then a uniformed officer in a marked SUV drove up to assist, and an officer started pounding on the front passenger window.
Scott then got out with the gun and backed away from the vehicle, police said, but did not drop the weapon.
“Officer Vinson perceived Mr. Scott’s actions and movements as an imminent physical threat to himself and the other officers,” police said in a statement. “Officer Vinson fired his issued service weapon, striking Mr. Scott. Officers immediately rendered first aid and requested Medic to respond to the scene.”
Police said multiple witnesses interviewed by homicide detectives heard the police shouting at Scott to drop the gun.
Scott’s DNA and his fingerprints were found on the loaded gun recovered at the scene. Scott was wearing an ankle holster, police said.
Charlotte police release videos of shooting of Keith Lamont Scott

P.S.: I will no longer discuss the issue of picking up the kid. I still think it's weird but apparently many people are weird about that. :tonguea: Also, who the hell rolls a blunt while waiting for their kid?

He was shot for two reasons:

1 He had a gun
2 The police felt threatened

I think the police were wrong to shoot him.

How come the head of the wearer of the bodycam is obscuring the view?

The physical evidence is the presence of Scott's DNA and fingerprints on the gun they retrieved and also that he had an ankle holster. The video is not clear one way of another, but the physical evidence is pretty definitive. Unless you want to allege a conspiracy involving the entire department.

This is the details of the encounter according to the police.
Charlotte Observer said:
Police on Saturday gave this account of the fatal encounter:
Two officers in plain clothes were in an unmarked car waiting to serve a warrant when Scott’s white SUV pulled in beside them.
They saw Scott roll what they believed to be “a marijuana ‘blunt.’ ” They returned to watching for their suspect, then Vinson saw Scott hold up a gun.
They withdrew to a spot nearby and put on duty vests that said “Police” that would identify them as officers.
When they came back, Scott still had the gun. They identified themselves as police officers, the department said, and told him loudly and repeatedly to drop the weapon. Scott did not comply.
Then a uniformed officer in a marked SUV drove up to assist, and an officer started pounding on the front passenger window.
Scott then got out with the gun and backed away from the vehicle, police said, but did not drop the weapon.
“Officer Vinson perceived Mr. Scott’s actions and movements as an imminent physical threat to himself and the other officers,” police said in a statement. “Officer Vinson fired his issued service weapon, striking Mr. Scott. Officers immediately rendered first aid and requested Medic to respond to the scene.”
Police said multiple witnesses interviewed by homicide detectives heard the police shouting at Scott to drop the gun.
Scott’s DNA and his fingerprints were found on the loaded gun recovered at the scene. Scott was wearing an ankle holster, police said.
Charlotte police release videos of shooting of Keith Lamont Scott

P.S.: I will no longer discuss the issue of picking up the kid. I still think it's weird but apparently many people are weird about that. :tonguea: Also, who the hell rolls a blunt while waiting for their kid?

"When they came back, Scott still had the gun. They identified themselves as police officers, the department said, and told him loudly and repeatedly to drop the weapon. Scott did not comply.
Then a uniformed officer in a marked SUV drove up to assist, and an officer started pounding on the front passenger window."

So the cops' story is that they saw a guy in a car rolling a blunt and holding a gun, they told him to drop the gun, and when he didn't a cop walked up to the car and started pounding on the window? :confused:

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all month.

Not even within orders of magnitude as stupid as the version that said that he was reading in his car, minding his business, when a group of police officers took time during the service of an unrelated warrant and spontaneously decided to murder him for no apparent reason. Oh, and he doesn't have a gun even though he wears an ankle holster. Perhaps that's where he keeps his book.
Because that's what you'd have to believe in order to believe the family/#BLM version of the story.

CtK-aYRXYAAkDV_.jpg

The black thing on his right ankle surely looks like a holster to me. Was that planted too?

Not even within orders of magnitude as stupid as the version that said that he was reading in his car, minding his business, when a group of police officers took time during the service of an unrelated warrant and spontaneously decided to murder him for no apparent reason. Oh, and he doesn't have a gun even though he wears an ankle holster. Perhaps that's where he keeps his book.
Because that's what you'd have to believe in order to believe the family/#BLM version of the story.

The black thing on his right ankle surely looks like a holster to me. Was that planted too?

This gives an officer the right to shoot him? Please explain.

The argument is that the cop felt threatened and shot him. That means that if the guy felt threatened by the cops he could legally shoot them too.

So your asinine argument is that cops are special people.

I'd love to be on that jury.

looks like socks to me
Really?
Besides, there is another shot that shows a black object on the outside of the right ankle.
f_os_bodycam_160924__961710.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

I know, the resolution/quality is not great, but it is highly probable that the black object in both images is the ankle holster which was recovered. Which would put to lie the family claim that he did not have a gun. And since the "Charlotte uprising" was in a large measure started by misinformation spread by Lyric YourAdorable and Keith Scott's brother. I think they are responsible for rioting, looting etc. that's been going on.
Again, Lyric YourAdorable's racist video where she incited racial hatred and violence with lies and misinformation:

And then there's his racist brother falsely claiming the police were not identifiable as police (proved as a lie by the videos). He is also calling all white people "devils".

This gives an officer the right to shoot him? Please explain.
He refused to drop the gun even after repeated (11-12 times or so) commands to do so. That sure sounds justified to me. I do not think any grand jury indicts them. Do you?

The argument is that the cop felt threatened and shot him. That means that if the guy felt threatened by the cops he could legally shoot them too.
Criminals are threatened by police. That does not give them the right to shoot police. So the argument does not work both ways because of monopoly on legitimate use of physical force.

I'd love to be on that jury.
What would your justification for indictment be?

Note that the family has insisted (and still do) that Scott had no gun. So since he had a gun that collapses their whole version of events.

He refused to drop the gun
Looks like he had no gun from the video evidence. We know that police will plant evidence so that looks like what happened here.

/but keep believing things without any evidence if you like.

Back
Top Bottom