• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Stock Market

Yet so much wealth is in the stock market which creates jobs only when the stock was originally issued.

Oh, it's going to have a massive impact on jobs. When a company loses equity, they often shelve their expansion plans. Every effort is going to be made to cut expenses and hunker down.

When a company loses equity, they often shelve their expansion plans. Every effort is going to be made to cut expenses and hunker down.

Maybe they should get a part time job and stop eating avocado toast.

I assume, based on your comment, that you are referring to stockholders? Stock holders are different than companies. However, I'd say that many stock holders are retired and don't have the health or ability to get a part time job, or full time job. Secondly, many people depend on their stock portfolio for their retirement. Dashing people's retirement hopes will cause people to hunker down and not spend as much.

When a company loses equity, they often shelve their expansion plans. Every effort is going to be made to cut expenses and hunker down.

Maybe they should get a part time job and stop eating avocado toast.

I assume, based on your comment, that you are referring to stockholders? Stock holders are different than companies. However, I'd say that many stock holders are retired and don't have the health or ability to get a part time job, or full time job. Secondly, many people depend on their stock portfolio for their retirement. Dashing people's retirement hopes will cause people to hunker down and not spend as much.

Very true. I think Zipr's comment is best directed at overpaid execs.

Yet so much wealth is in the stock market which creates jobs only when the stock was originally issued.

Oh, it's going to have a massive impact on jobs. When a company loses equity, they often shelve their expansion plans. Every effort is going to be made to cut expenses and hunker down.

Stock value has no value to jobs. The drop in revenue from depressed demand and billable hours will be what kills jobs. Otherwise, Amazon jobs would be in large quantity and with great pay.

Anyone know if Skype is a publicly traded company? Everyone seems to be using it now.

Simple low-capital jobs can be created this way. High capital jobs require rich investors.

Huh? What is a high capital job and why does anyone need one?

High capital jobs are ones where you need very expensive tooling in order to do the job.

1) Such jobs tend to require higher skills and pay better.

2) Society needs them. Just look in front of you--the chips in your computer came out of very high capital industries. No high capital jobs = no computers = Covid-19 looks like utopia in comparison.

Simple low-capital jobs can be created this way. High capital jobs require rich investors.

Huh? What is a high capital job and why does anyone need one?

High capital jobs are ones where you need very expensive tooling in order to do the job.

Can you help me out with a couple of examples? Not "making trucks" but an actual job. Like "long haul truck driving".
I have a suspicion that there aren't really all that many such jobs, and they look a lot like "running a Company that makes trucks", which in and of itself doesn't really require rich investors.

When we started our last company, the capital investment including inventory was under $200k. We financed the purchase and rental of increasing equipment needs with internal cash flow. In my last year of ownership we were having trouble hiring at $16.50/hr for entry level jobs.

When we sold the Company, some "rich investors" moved it into a facility with equipment and infrastructure worth millions more. They added another layer of management, staffed with highly paid personnel. And those same jobs are starting at less than $8/hr and don't go much over $9/hr. But the employees are suddenly doing "higher capital" jobs, right?

Anyone know if Skype is a publicly traded company? Everyone seems to be using it now.

Skype is owned by Microsoft. My kids use it every day to do multi friend video calls. They are screen sharing to our 65 inch tv here in the living room. It's good for the kids.

We use Skype for Business at work. It' quite good and doesn't need an appointment url but can use them.

Skype is owned by Microsoft. My kids use it every day to do multi friend video calls. They are screen sharing to our 65 inch tv here in the living room. It's good for the kids.

We use Skype for Business at work. It' quite good and doesn't need an appointment url but can use them.

Another example of the rich changing the world for the better.

DOW futures are down the maximum allowed 5% as the GOP failed to squeeze a crap bill through a technical vote. McConnell forgot he doesn't have majority votes anymore.

Another example of the rich changing the world for the better.

You've got the cart before the horse. Skype was not created by "the rich", but by two programmers, one of whom had dropped out of high school. They became billionaires when first eBay then Microsoft bought their products. And of course, they could not have done what they did without the foundation laid by public efforts to formalize internet protocols, fund networks, enforce software and patent protections, etc.

Billionaires need the middle class far more than the middle class needs billionaires.

You've got the cart before the horse. Skype was not created by "the rich", but by two programmers, one of whom had dropped out of high school. They became billionaires when first eBay then Microsoft bought their products. And of course, they could not have done what they did without the foundation laid by public efforts to formalize internet protocols, fund networks, enforce software and patent protections, etc.

Billionaires need the middle class far more than the middle class needs billionaires.

True. I was using Skype long before it was acquired. It was among the first widely used VoIP and Video over IP and available for free. And the little company made their money when someone upgraded to include land line calling and such. But the web to web was free and still is free. Mainly Microsoft hasn't screwed it up too much. And as I understand it, incorporated the tech into Skype for business.

DOW futures are down the maximum allowed 5% as the GOP failed to squeeze a crap bill through a technical vote. McConnell forgot he doesn't have majority votes anymore.

And as of this minute, futures are up about 200. So, since last night, there has been over a 1000 point swing. Crazy enough?

And as of this minute, futures are up about 200. So, since last night, there has been over a 1000 point swing. Crazy enough?
laughing dog can go in to greater detail, but it sounds like the Fed said, "You can haz unlimited bonds". But this doesn't help addressed cratered demand in many industries and only so much billable work.

Welcome to Mr. Dotard's Wild Ride...

Can you help me out with a couple of examples? Not "making trucks" but an actual job. Like "long haul truck driving".
I have a suspicion that there aren't really all that many such jobs, and they look a lot like "running a Company that makes trucks", which in and of itself doesn't really require rich investors.

Just look at the STEM fields. You'll find an awful lot of jobs.

Just look at the STEM fields. You'll find an awful lot of jobs.

So that's a "No, I can't provide an example, but I can tell YOU where to look."
Quite as I predicted.

Back
Top Bottom