• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Stock Market

Are you trying to say that dems should fight the stimulus to prevent the market from recovering in order to hurt Trump?

Trump would be the fucker, not the fuckee.
Yeah, what Jimmy said, but also it was mostly about humor...

FWIW, I'd say that the Dums taking 24-48 hours to try to make sure Clownstick only gets the whole candy jar, instead of the Candy Store was prudent...

... the Dums taking 24-48 hours to try to make sure Clownstick only gets the whole candy jar, instead of the Candy Store was prudent...

Yah, probably only another 80-100 incremental deaths for that.
Stock market is interesting today - possible back to back gain days for the first time in a while. CNBC pundits seem to agree that this is a sign of market stabilization, which leads me to believe that it's a false bottom. Won't know for a couple of weeks at least. It's bound to get weighed down by opportunistic short term investors dumping issues like cruise lines that have returned mindblowing ROI in a few days. I'm not sure that what's left outside of the flash-boom sectors is actually stabilizing at all. Certainly pandemic cases, deaths etc. aren't "stabilizing" but media are touting reduced rates of acceleration, as if that means it's leveling out.
Newsflash - if you jump out of a plane at 20,000 feet and open a handkerchief, it might slow the rate of your acceleration, but you're still going to go *splat!*

Here's an idea.

Instead of bailing out these huge corporations, we just give them back the taxes they paid.

Now hold on there Cowboy! Yea, I agree with you that corporations are very important. Jobs are important. But we don't have enough money to return to them all the sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, self employment taxes, payroll taxes and etc that they pay. I agree with you that we should help them, but they need to pay their fair share.

Currently there is a stumbling block on the aid bill. 4 GOP senators are worried that people will get laid off to make a little more money for a few months.

Wanna talk stock market free fall? It’ll drop 2500 pts by 10 AM if those assholes stop this.

Here's an idea.

Instead of bailing out these huge corporations, we just give them back the taxes they paid.

Now hold on there Cowboy! Yea, I agree with you that corporations are very important. Jobs are important. But we don't have enough money to return to them all the sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, self employment taxes, payroll taxes and etc that they pay. I agree with you that we should help them, but they need to pay their fair share.

I agree that would be a refreshing change.*

*I'm not talking about small businesses but I am talking about Amazon,Walmart, McDonalds and other multi-billion dollar businesses which manage to not pay their workers a decent wage, or treat them like human beings or pay income taxes. And: I will add that living in a small city, one gets to see everything up close and personal. For a brief time, I was a temp worker at one of the local manufacturing companies--not on the line, but in the office. I actually knew who the owners were although they didn't recognize me. I was just a temp worker, one of a series of temp workers that they hired to do what I was doing but without having to actually pay them benefits. But one guy was the father of some kids in my kids' grade so I recognized the name and the face. They were a pretty wealthy family: lots of ski trips, summer place, very nice home in a very nice, very exclusive subdivision, the whole nine yards. Barely paid their workers minimum wage. Barely. Treated them like shit beneath their shoes, like something they'd scrape off their shoes before they stepped into their cars. Wouldn't let them take calls telling them that schools were closing two hours early because of an ice storm so they couldn't make arrangements for their kids to have a place to go or even an open door in an ice storm. Shit like that. Meeting socially? Very nice guy. Very nice wife. Very nice kids. But he treated his workers like shit. Absolute shit. I honestly don't care if people like that have to face tough economic times. It will do them some good. But probably they'd just sell off the business and a lot of people would lose their jobs. And they'd just go on another ski trip.

Here's an idea.

Apple pays self-employment taxes??

Amazon pays property taxes?? (Workers at the local Amazon warehouse are assessed a fee [that can offset their tax liability] to cover the cost of the state incentives given to Amazon to build the warehouse...)

Here's an idea.

Amazon pays property taxes?? (Workers at the local Amazon warehouse are assessed a fee [that can offset their tax liability] to cover the cost of the state incentives given to Amazon to build the warehouse...)

My post was partially in jest. But yea, you might not have property taxes in your state, but we do have it in Oregon. Amazon located a warehouse here and pays a lot of local taxes.

My post was partially in jest. But yea, you might not have property taxes in your state, but we do have it in Oregon. Amazon located a warehouse here and pays a lot of local taxes.

How much did Amazon pay in federal taxes. It's the feds that are supplying the bailouts.

Kentucky certainly has property taxes. (Probably not as high as the ones in Oregon.)

Amazon has a warehouse about 6 miles from my house. Kentucky taxpayers are (in effect) paying for it.

It looks like the rally is over. The DOW is down almost 900 points as of this minute and it's been down all morning.
The US still needs to deal with the reality of the virus and the recession it'll cause because DC failed to act to protect people from getting laid off.

Kentucky certainly has property taxes. (Probably not as high as the ones in Oregon.)

Amazon has a warehouse about 6 miles from my house. Kentucky taxpayers are (in effect) paying for it.

Because it's in an enterprise zone?

Amazon typically gets all sorts of goodies to put their enterprises in areas.

When Amazon was floating out their new HQ2 idea, Cleveland proposed to give Amazon a lot of money, no taxes, and they'd give Amazon the local taxes paid by Amazon's employees!

Oregon has given $265 million in subsidies to Amazon.

https://subsidytracker.goodjobsfirst.org/parent/amazoncom

Kentucky gave $117 million in subsidies to Amazon.

Yea, it's been a hell of a good deal for us in Oregon. It lead to more than 3,000 direct jobs here. The salem jobs (my hometown) were warehouse jobs, I can tell you that thousands of workers applied. The corporate jobs located in Hillsboro. They are all high paying family wage jobs with great benefits. But even the non direct jobs, construction jobs, have been huge. There are hundreds of local companies working on those buildings. Yea, I'd say that most Oregonians are very happy with this investment.

Yea, it's been a hell of a good deal for us in Oregon. It lead to more than 3,000 direct jobs here. The salem jobs (my hometown) were warehouse jobs, I can tell you that thousands of workers applied. The corporate jobs located in Hillsboro. They are all high paying family wage jobs with great benefits. But even the non direct jobs, construction jobs, have been huge. There are hundreds of local companies working on those buildings. Yea, I'd say that most Oregonians are very happy with this investment.

Really? What's the rate of return on this "investment"?

Because Kentucky made a deal with Amazon.

I'm sure we're not the only state to have done so.

Back
Top Bottom