• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Stock Market

And look what happens when you have lots of workers but not the capital to create jobs. Plenty of examples--third world shitholes. It takes both labor and capital!

Is capital a problem in the USA? Has the rich suddenly become poor?

Thousands of companies operate on razor thin capital and will be going under very shortly. The SBA is rolling out an emergency loan program but will probably too late for many of them. I don't have exact numbers, but when I was a banker, the average company that I worked with only had about a 30 to 50 day average cash set aside as capital.

I have no idea why they think loans are the way to go. Companies are permanently losing revenue. It isn't like they are going to magically be able to afford to pay back the loan with the revenue displaced to later. Restaurants will see a bump when they open up again, but then that'll fizzle and it'll be back to normal. Loans won't work!

It is like the proposed deferment of payments or parts of payments for mortgages. Where exactly is the money coming from to pay it back later, even when things get back to normal? This income is being lost, not deferred.

I have no idea why they think loans are the way to go. Companies are permanently losing revenue. It isn't like they are going to magically be able to afford to pay back the loan with the revenue displaced to later. Restaurants will see a bump when they open up again, but then that'll fizzle and it'll be back to normal. Loans won't work!

It is like the proposed deferment of payments or parts of payments for mortgages. Where exactly is the money coming from to pay it back later, even when things get back to normal? This income is being lost, not deferred.

The small business loans would be converted to grants as long as they are only used for payroll and regular operations.

And look what happens when you have lots of workers but not the capital to create jobs. Plenty of examples--third world shitholes. It takes both labor and capital!

The point is that it takes both. You showed a problem with capital without labor, I showed a problem with labor without capital.

And while the US isn't capital-poor the capital is mostly already allocated. Job creation generally needs available capital. If you go eating the rich that quickly vanishes.

It depends on how the deferment is done. I strongly favor a deferment based approach based on tolling the debt. For the duration of the shutdown all interest rates are set to 0%, no payments towards principal are owed, payments are not considered late. The loans are simply extended by the duration of the shutdown.

It depends on how the deferment is done. I strongly favor a deferment based approach based on tolling the debt. For the duration of the shutdown all interest rates are set to 0%, no payments towards principal are owed, payments are not considered late. The loans are simply extended by the duration of the shutdown.
That loan is to cover the cost of doing business while they aren't actually doing business (depressed to no revenue). At what point will they have money to pay back the loan once this whole thing lifts away? The interest is irrelevant.

The small business loans would be converted to grants as long as they are only used for payroll and regular operations.
I wasn't aware of that. Though, this raises two questions. 1) why are we giving anyone money if it isn't for payroll and regular operations?! 2) why not just make it a grant?

The point is that it takes both. You showed a problem with capital without labor, I showed a problem with labor without capital.

And while the US isn't capital-poor the capital is mostly already allocated. Job creation generally needs available capital. If you go eating the rich that quickly vanishes.
So how the heck did jobs come about before there were millionaires to create them??

Oh, yea, people started their own small businesses, farms, whatever, and if things were successful and they made money then they could start hiring people. Economies emerge even in third world shitholes. An the problems with third world countries might not be related to lack of capital. Might be some of them have a lack of resources to use, or the resources are controlled by people who see the value in keeping the place a shithole, as keeping people poor lets you pay crap wages.

Meanwhile, market is currently down around 700 more points as it closes in on 19,000. The GOP continues to just muck around as if nothing is actually happening.

How much is Bezos' wealth employing?

Stock Market drops 1/3 of its value in two weeks. Trump's reaction?

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PprCOVdfPps[/YOUTUBE]

Meanwhile, market is currently down around 700 more points as it closes in on 19,000. The GOP continues to just muck around as if nothing is actually happening.

Do they even notice that the markets are up in the mornings, then they trot Cheato and his trumpsuckers out in front of the TV cameras for their daily fawning session and the market tanks?

That was the easiest of questions to answer for any government leader. Trump should not be at these press briefings, he is not helping, it should just be the experts and the department leaders. And those assholes standing behind him silently are useless cowards.

That was the easiest of questions to answer for any government leader. Trump should not be at these press briefings, he is not helping, it should just be the experts and the department leaders. And those assholes standing behind him silently are useless cowards.

The NBC reporter SCROTUS melted down at found out today that a fellow NBC employee died from COVID yesterday. Asshole is writing the Democrats' campaign ads for them.

Do they even notice that the markets are up in the mornings, then they trot Cheato and his trumpsuckers out in front of the TV cameras for their daily fawning session and the market tanks?

My husband and I have noticed that and keep hoping that Trump will shut his mouth. But, what seems to be happening is that every time there is an uptick, people start selling into the rallies. By the end of the day, the market tanks again. The only good think I can say about all of this is that the market is now below where it was when Trump took office. If that helps us get rid of him, maybe it was worth losing some of our retirement savings.

But I do agree with y'all who are saying that Trump shouldn't even be holding these daily reports. He sounds like a rambling idiot. He lashes out at reporters when they ask him questions that he doesn't like. He touts drugs that haven't been tested or proved to be effective against the virus and his sycophants just stand expressionless, like idiots who are too frightened to contradict him.

Fortunately he doesn't answer back when one of the actual experts in his entourage brings evidence to the table countering his 'very smart' guesses and presumptions.

Probably it's because he's said what he had to say and now he isn't listening any more. That seems to be so. 'cause after another in doctrinal session with Faux he repeats hissef as if what he sed before was the last word on the subject.

I think that is more on the GOP in the Senate. The market wants to go up, but McConnell shows virtually no progress over and over. We forget that the GOP voted against TARP and it was W along with the Dems that prevented a Depression.

And the GOP messaging has been terrible. I remember Sen. Obama explaining in about one or two sentences why TARP was crucial in the Town Hall Presidential debate when answering a person’s question on it. The GOP and Trump have again shown themselves impotent leaders.

My husband and I have noticed that and keep hoping that Trump will shut his mouth. But, what seems to be happening is that every time there is an uptick, people start selling into the rallies. By the end of the day, the market tanks again. The only good think I can say about all of this is that the market is now below where it was when Trump took office. If that helps us get rid of him, maybe it was worth losing some of our retirement savings.

But I do agree with y'all who are saying that Trump shouldn't even be holding these daily reports. He sounds like a rambling idiot. He lashes out at reporters when they ask him questions that he doesn't like. He touts drugs that haven't been tested or proved to be effective against the virus and his sycophants just stand expressionless, like idiots who are too frightened to contradict him.

This one forgot to remain expressionless.

giphy.gif

So how the heck did jobs come about before there were millionaires to create them??

Oh, yea, people started their own small businesses, farms, whatever, and if things were successful and they made money then they could start hiring people. Economies emerge even in third world shitholes. An the problems with third world countries might not be related to lack of capital. Might be some of them have a lack of resources to use, or the resources are controlled by people who see the value in keeping the place a shithole, as keeping people poor lets you pay crap wages.

Simple low-capital jobs can be created this way. High capital jobs require rich investors.

Yet so much wealth is in the stock market which creates jobs only when the stock was originally issued.

Back
Top Bottom