• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Tea Thread

Stepped up my tea game today and got one of these:

990025us01var0016237-bi-2.1319.jpg

For home and at work from David's.

Their tea is a bit much for me, but their mugs/infusers are fantastic.

rosseau,

I have 5 different infusers.

I have 2 stainless steel baskets, 1 mesh basket, 1 ball infuser and 1 that is a smaller ball on a stick.

Of these, the mesh and basket infusers are my preferred method of brewing tea.

If you want to try different infusers, try shopping at T2. They have a multitude of infusers and you can find one that suits your needs.

Do you have two? One for work and one for home? Or do you transport it each day?

Gaynor

I drink this. Not their tea bags, which are, for some unfathomable reason, vile; but their leaf tea, which is excellent.

When it goes on special at the supermarket, I buy their entire stock; I have never paid full price for it, and I have a nice cool dry cupboard full of it, so I am in no danger of running out.

I drink this. Not their tea bags, which are, for some unfathomable reason, vile; but their leaf tea, which is excellent.

When it goes on special at the supermarket, I buy their entire stock; I have never paid full price for it, and I have a nice cool dry cupboard full of it, so I am in no danger of running out.

umm - I know what tea you drink, but I think you are leaving everyone else in cloud of mystery! :p

Stepped up my tea game today and got one of these:

990025us01var0016237-bi-2.1319.jpg

For home and at work from David's.

Their tea is a bit much for me, but their mugs/infusers are fantastic.

rosseau,

I have 2 stainless steel baskets, 1 mesh basket, 1 ball infuser and 1 that is a smaller ball on a stick.

If you want to try different infusers, try shopping at T2. They have a multitude of infusers and you can find one that suits your needs.

Do you have two? One for work and one for home? Or do you transport it each day?

Gaynor

By 'one of these' I meant the mug AND the infuser which come as a set, along with a lid that doubles as a tray for the infuser. David's makes pretty practical and stylish mugs so a lot of serious tea drinkers use them.

For the past year I've had a similar (but ceramic) mug from David's both at home and at work (two mugs). About a month ago I saw this clear mug at David's though and thought it'd be a pretty cool piece to own, and my original David's mug was about four years old so I figured it was time for an upgrade.

I bought two of them with a slight variation, one for work and one for home, so now I've got way too many tea mugs, but good for company.

When you work in an office and everyone is looking at you all day, having a good looking mug is good for everyone.

rosseau,

Gaynor

By 'one of these' I meant the mug AND the infuser which come as a set, along with a lid that doubles as a tray for the infuser. David's makes pretty practical and stylish mugs so a lot of serious tea drinkers use them.

For the past year I've had a similar (but ceramic) mug from David's both at home and at work (two mugs). About a month ago I saw this clear mug at David's though and thought it'd be a pretty cool piece to own, and my original David's mug was about four years old so I figured it was time for an upgrade.

I bought two of them with a slight variation, one for work and one for home, so now I've got way too many tea mugs, but good for company.

When you work in an office and everyone is looking at you all day, having a good looking mug is good for everyone.

I used to take different mugs to work depending on the day. My favourite was this one:

mQ6Me172DymRScjyEmLdWeA.jpg

for a Thursday. Unfortunately, it dropped on the floor and I haven't really been able to replace it.

umm - I know what tea you drink, but I think you are leaving everyone else in cloud of mystery! :p

Only if they don't know how to recognize (and/or click on) a hyperlink...

The subtext is strong in this thread.

Those of you who value free dumb over safe tea should shut the fuck up.

i'm deeply southern and i like iced tea, but i like hot tea, too.
blends: earl grey, spice dragon, red zinger/hibiscus, tazo passion
add ins: green tea w/spearmint, black tea w/spearmint, black tea w/cardamon (love it), jasmine
others: hoji-cha (roasted tea), ceylon, darjeeling, lapsang souchong, oolong
herbs: yerba mate, ginger, kola nut, princess java rose, dandelion root, camomile, roobios

often i make pitchers/pots of tea with family sized black or green tea plus a flavor bag

you should try: hoji-cha, roasted green tea, lapsang souchong, a twinings type but rare, very strong, dandelion root with black tea (dandelion root is very strong and earthy)

any of these hot or iced. i had iced earl grey all day today, loved it. but black tea with spearmint (plantation mint) iced is my fav for the hot summers. cardamon tea, though is pushing for #1, like you get in persian restaurants. i use sucralose, due to diabetes, and really just prefer it now. some teas take sugar, some don't - only milk with hot earl grey.

question: what is it that makes thai tea thai tea? is it the orange dye?

i'm deeply southern and i like iced tea, but i like hot tea, too.
blends: earl grey, spice dragon, red zinger/hibiscus, tazo passion
add ins: green tea w/spearmint, black tea w/spearmint, black tea w/cardamon (love it), jasmine
others: hoji-cha (roasted tea), ceylon, darjeeling, lapsang souchong, oolong
herbs: yerba mate, ginger, kola nut, princess java rose, dandelion root, camomile, roobios

often i make pitchers/pots of tea with family sized black or green tea plus a flavor bag

you should try: hoji-cha, roasted green tea, lapsang souchong, a twinings type but rare, very strong, dandelion root with black tea (dandelion root is very strong and earthy)

any of these hot or iced. i had iced earl grey all day today, loved it. but black tea with spearmint (plantation mint) iced is my fav for the hot summers. cardamon tea, though is pushing for #1, like you get in persian restaurants. i use sucralose, due to diabetes, and really just prefer it now. some teas take sugar, some don't - only milk with hot earl grey.

question: what is it that makes thai tea thai tea? is it the orange dye?

Coming from Thailand, perhaps?

Thai drink made from strongly brewed Ceylon tea. However, due to Ceylon tea's high price, a locally grown landrace (traditional or semi-wild) version of Assam known as Bai Miang (ใบเมี่ยง)[1] with added food coloring[citation needed] is commonly used. Other ingredients may include added orange blossom water, star anise, crushed tamarind seed or red and yellow food coloring, and sometimes other spices as well

for some reason i can't edit my post, above - it comes up blank and locked. wanted to make it clear that was from wikipedia and add this

Lapsang is distinct from all other types of tea because lapsang leaves are traditionally smoke-dried over pinewood fires, taking on a distinctive smoky flavour.

- - - Updated - - -

for some reason i can't edit my post, above - it comes up blank and locked. wanted to make it clear that was from wikipedia and add this

Lapsang is distinct from all other types of tea because lapsang leaves are traditionally smoke-dried over pinewood fires, taking on a distinctive smoky flavour.

Thoroughly enjoying this hot cup of green tea. I have a stupid sinus thing going on with a bit of sore throat to go with it, so I made a cup of green tea with lemon, honey, and mint. Soothing, plus opens the nasal passages a little. So nice. This is what I look like drinking my tea right now: :love:

Thoroughly enjoying this hot cup of green tea. I have a stupid sinus thing going on with a bit of sore throat to go with it, so I made a cup of green tea with lemon, honey, and mint. Soothing, plus opens the nasal passages a little. So nice. This is what I look like drinking my tea right now: :love:

Great Rx for colds etc. But if you add a tablespoonful of raspberry jam to that, it will multiply its antiviral action exponentially.
Make sure it is pure raspberry and not any other 'red' berry. Don't know why this is so effective, but does not seem to depend on flavinoid content of berries but is unique to raspberries and works best with jam rather than raw berries or any other form of raspberry content.

That sounds nice. Me thinks I need to start experimenting with tea additions a little more. For as long as I can remember I've been doing almost all of my teas straight, but they're starting to get a little boring. Lemon and honey sound like they could spice things up a bit.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to get creative, either. If my local tea shop is any indication, literally anything infused in water is technically a tea, so you could even start making strict honey or lemon, or both together teas, or anything else really.

Was cleaning out my kitchen cupboards and remembered that I have some Asahina Gyokuru in stock.

It's a premium green tea grown in a special way that increases it's mineral and caffeine content. Very unique green.

Was cleaning out my kitchen cupboards and remembered that I have some Asahina Gyokuru in stock.

It's a premium green tea grown in a special way that increases it's mineral and caffeine content. Very unique green.

http://hojotea.com said:
About 20-30 days in advance before plucking of the tea leaves, the entire tea garden will be covered by sheet. Under the sheet, the tea trees are shield from direct sunshine. When seriously lacks sunshine, tea trees will trigger a chain of physiological changes within itself in order to survive. The tea leaf is not only physically changing, the chemical composition in the leaves also changed. As a result, tea leaves produce the typical flavor substances of Gyokuro and extremely rich in minerals. We select our Gyokuro from Shizuoka, Okabe Town of Shizuoka Prefecture where it is surrounded by clean air and transparent alpine water. We call it Asahina Gyokuro.

rainbow-drool.jpg

Attachments

• rainbow-drool.jpg
    rainbow-drool.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
Yep, pretty much.

It's one of those teas that's good for many infusions too. If you're craving some of it you can steep a teaspoon of it 4-5 times. Makes the cost a little more bearable.

Back
Top Bottom