• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The trials of the Capitol assaulters

I hope that eventually we can get a representative cross section/sample of these people.
Because I'm curious.

How many truly believe they are patriots upholding democracy, and are motivated by anger, genuinely believing The Big Lie ("Trump won in a landslide")?
How many just want to break things?
How many are trying to destroy America because they hold to fascist or other ideologies?
How many are simply flat-out stupid and don't have the wherewithal to understand what the difference between fascism and democracy is?
I'd be more interested to know how many don't enjoy participating in athletics, don't ride bicycles, are overweight, eat shitty diets, and I'd also be curious their level of education. Brains need physical exercise.

Why is their health or education of any relevance? :confused:

It takes effort, time and commitment to do these things. Leaves a lot less time to watch political soap operas and fly across country to riot for your savior.

Riley Williams has turned herself in. The DOJ site has an Amended Statement of Facts that says,

A complaint and arrest warrant were issued in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia on January 17, 2021. United States v. Riley June Williams, 21-mj-99.WILLIAMS, who was aware of the warrant and charges, surrendered to authorities and was arrested in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on January 18, 2021.

The Complaint was amended too. Amended Complaint

It added charges for embezzling US property and for obstruction an official proceeding.

The Amended Statement of Facts gave more details,

Her ex gave the FBI a video captured from a livestream showing the theft of the Pelosi office laptop,

On January 18, 2021, FBI agents obtained from W1 copies of several video clips that W1 stated had been recorded and livestreamed by WILLIAMS and subsequently copied or screen captured by a friend of WILLIAMS. I have reviewed several of the videos, which appear to depict events inside and outside the U.S. Capitol Building on January 6, 2021. In one 4- second video, the person holding the cell phone camera is standing, angling the camera down toward a wooden desk with an “HP” laptop. A female voice that I believe to be WILLIAMS’ based on my review of the ITV YouTube video described above can be heard saying, “Dude, put on gloves.” Next, what appears to be a man’s arm then reaches toward the laptop, with a black glove covering his hand, and begins to lift the laptop off the table. There is text across the video clip that reads: “they got the laptop.” Given how loud Williams’ voice is, it seems likely that she was the one holding the cell phone camera. A screenshot of the video clip is below.

They confirmed her presence there with CCTV. And they have Discord posts by a Riley admitting to it,

I have obtained and reviewed CCTV video footage taken outside of Speaker Pelosi’s office and confirmed that WILLIAMS can be seen entering and exiting Speaker Pelosi’s office. I also observed an individual re-posting on Twitter the same videos provided by W1 along with posts from a user named “Riley” on the social media platform “Discord.” https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1346947245581615109.html, which W1 has stated WILLIAMS frequently uses. In these posts, “Riley” states, among other things, “I stole shit from Nancy Polesi [sic],” and “I took Polesis [sic] hard drives.” Examples are posted below:

Here's a story on her initial court hearing.

Riley June Williams charged with helping to steal laptop from Pelosi's office during Capitol riot, FBI says - The Washington Post

A pretrial services report had recommended Williams’s release, but the government contends Williams presents a flight risk and could obstruct or try to obstruct justice.

A public defender appointed to represent Williams, Lori Ulrich, argued for release and said in court that many of the allegations lodged against her client “are false.”

Yeah, good luck with that.

Emanuel Jackson is on surveillance video using a baseball bat against a police line. There are screencaps in the Statement of Facts. He has been charged and is in custody. Derec will be happy to know he is a young black man.

He is charged with: Assaulting an Officer of the United States with a deadly or dangerous weapon, Obstruction of an Official Proceeding; Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority; Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct on Capitol Grounds.

From the Statement,

At 4:50 p.m., the violent and aggressive crowd continued to confront law enforcement at the West Terrace entrance. The crowd was armed with various weapons and multiple individuals are observed assaulting law enforcement in the entranceway. The defendant is clearly observed in surveillance video of this entrance, wearing the same clothing described above and observed in earlier footage, and armed with a metal baseball bat. The defendant is observed repeatedly striking a group of both U.S. Capitol and Metropolitan Police Department uniformed officers with the baseball bat. U.S. Capitol Police officers are designated as officers of the United States under Title 18 U.S.C. 1114. The officers are shielding themselves with the Plexiglas shields for protection.

Unclear from that whether he injured anyone or just hit the shields.

They found public video of him, but I haven't found it.

During the investigation, law enforcement discovered an open source media video of the incident from January 6, 2021. On the video, photographs of which are included below, the defendant is observed holding and swinging the bat, which matches the shape and appearance of the bat in the surveillance video from the Capitol Building.

He turned himself in and basically confessed. :facepalm:

On January 18, 2021, the defendant voluntarily entered the First District Metropolitan Police Department station. Your affiant explained the defendant’s constitutional rights to him and the defendant knowingly waived his rights by signing a Miranda rights card. The defendant admitted to taking part in the violent protest, identified himself in video and photographs shown to him by law enforcement of himself, and confessed to perpetrating the violent conduct described above.

They are starting to redact the FBI agents' names on these documents, making me wonder if someone's been threatened or just precautionary.

A local news report on Jackson, he's from Maryland.

Man accused of beating officers with bat during Capitol riot said he wasn't there "for Trump" - CBS News

That story has video of him saying,

Asked why he was there, Jackson replied, “Fighting for America. We’ve been taken over by globalists, by the Chinese. Fighting for America. I’m not here for Trump. I’m here for America.”

He then said he didn’t vote because “I thought my vote didn’t count, but I learned a lesson, and I will vote next in the midterms and in other elections.”

Which would mean he still voted for Trump then, and believes the same things.

... he still voted for Trump then, and believes the same things.

Right, and that is the big problem now. Trump lost. He's a loser. But millions of deluded Americans still believe the Trumpist lines being repeated by FOX, OANN, NewsMax et al..
They think it's "the real news".
And that's a REAL problem.

Right, and that is the big problem now. Trump lost. He's a loser. But millions of deluded Americans still believe the Trumpist lines being repeated by FOX, OANN, NewsMax et al..
As long as they keep voting for trump.... ;)

I'm going to start recommending they write in trump's name for everyone position on a ballot, he'll get at least one majority that way. Might be dogcatcher, but hey....

Rioter that helped drag a cop down the capitol strps tried to flee to Switzerland
And also tried to commit suicide.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1rhVrfgHMKNyzqcrgQG4wL&cshid=1611348550821

Assistant U.S. Attorney Benjamin Gianforti claimed that Sabol was caught on tape by the Washington Post helping a mob drag an officer down the Capitol steps and bought a ticket to Zurich, Switzerland, a country without an extradition treaty to the United States.

“I think that his suicide attempt can be taken as consciousness of guilt,” Gianforti said.
Ummmmmm.... Switzerland?
Don't we have an extradition treaty with Switzerland?

Rioter that helped drag a cop down the capitol strps tried to flee to Switzerland
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1rhVrfgHMKNyzqcrgQG4wL&cshid=1611348550821

Assistant U.S. Attorney Benjamin Gianforti claimed that Sabol was caught on tape by the Washington Post helping a mob drag an officer down the Capitol steps and bought a ticket to Zurich, Switzerland, a country without an extradition treaty to the United States.

“I think that his suicide attempt can be taken as consciousness of guilt,” Gianforti said.
Ummmmmm.... Switzerland?

Shhhhh!! The rest of them may not know. Let the FBI have some fun bruh.

Now that's the sort of reality show based on prison I'd love to watch. A bunch of delusional self entitled dummies who can't be forced to accept reality are instead forced to accept prison. :lol:

Ummmmmm.... Switzerland?

But... i just.... I mean, GOOGLE for chrissakes!

Or, did someone edit a Conservipedia entry to say 'no extradition?'

Maybe he thinks it's as hard to get criminals out of Switzerland as it is to get a criminal's money out of a Swiss bank?

Just... WTF?

Maybe he thinks it's as hard to get criminals out of Switzerland as it is to get a criminal's money out of a Swiss bank?

Just... WTF?

He did.

Zurich wasn't on the list, so....

Just... WTF?

He did.

Zurich wasn't on the list, so....

Very probably. He might at least know he had to go thru Switzerland to get to Zurich....

So if the Senate votes against the idea that Trump incited the riot does that undermine these people’s’ defenses? If Trump doesn’t bear the responsibility then surely they do and their defense should not hold up in court.

Or even if they did believe it, is it an example of the old “I was only following orders” defense to excuse one’s own abhorrent behavior?

So if the Senate votes against the idea that Trump incited the riot does that undermine these people’s’ defenses? If Trump doesn’t bear the responsibility then surely they do and their defense should not hold up in court.

Or even if they did believe it, is it an example of the old “I was only following orders” defense to excuse one’s own abhorrent behavior?

I don't pretend to know how the niceties of this works.

But I'd quite like to see the defendants call private citizen Trump to testify, under oath, about who said what and when.
Tom

I don't pretend to know how the niceties of this works.

But I'd quite like to see the defendants call private citizen Trump to testify, under oath, about who said what and when.
Tom

He will now have the argument that not even the victims of the crime think he was responsible, so how exactly will his testimony give relief to the actual rioters?

Accused Capitol Rioter Comes From Right-Wing Royalty - "The fourth Brent Bozell is carrying on the centurylong tradition of far-right provocation by the first three Brent Bozells."

Like father like son over four generations.

BB I was born in 1886 and he was a journalist and a newspaper editor before co-founding a marketing firm that still bears his name. A firm that coined slogans like "pork: the other white meat". He fought in WWI then became a prominent member of the American Legion back in Omaha.
While it’s considered impolite to mention it, the American Legion has always been extremely right-wing. At the 1925 convention, the program declared that the Legion’s purpose was “to maintain law and order [and] to foster and perpetuate a one hundred per cent Americanism.” Alvin Owsley, who’d been head of the Legion just a few years before, explained that “the Fascisti are to Italy what the American Legion is to the United States.” Bozell Sr. later became a director of an Omaha streetcar company, which hired 390 private guards and paid for guns, ammunition, and tear gas for the Omaha police to crush a strike in a particularly ugly way in 1935.

BB II was born in 1926. He met William F. Buckley Jr. in Yale, became very good friends with him, and ended up marrying his sister Patricia. After college, the two defended Senator Joseph McCarthy, for his presumed great awareness of all the Reds under our beds. BB II worked for Senator Barry Goldwater, and ghostwrote BG's book "The Conscience of a Conservative". In 1962, when BG ran for President, WFB tried to get the John Birch Society out of the conservative coalition, something that BB II didn't like. The JBS was the QAnon of its day, with its Communists-everywhere conspiracy theorizing, complete with Dwight Eisenhower being a participant.

BB II ended up moving to Spain, then ruled by right-wing dictator Francisco Franco.

BB III was born in 1955, and he founded the "Media Research Center" in 1987, dedicated to uncovering "liberal bias". One of its backers is oligarch Robert Mercer, a backer of Donald Trump. BB III has expressed more personal insights, like that Barack Obama looks "like a skinny, ghetto crackhead."

BB IV was born in 1980. L. Brent Bozell IV, son of a prominent conservative, is charged in Capitol riot. - The New York Times - "The son of Brent Bozell, a conservative commentator, has been charged in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol after being identified by wearing a sweatshirt from the Christian high school where he once worked as a girls basketball coach, court records show."

The man who put his feet up on a desk in Pelosi’s office during the Capitol riot throws a tantrum in court.

Richard Barnett, the Arkansas man charged with breaking into Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office and stealing her mail during the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, threw a tantrum during a virtual court hearing on Thursday, yelling at the judge and his own lawyers that it wasn’t “fair” that he was still in jail weeks after his arrest.

One of the most recognizable figures from the Capitol assault, Mr. Barnett, 60, was photographed on Jan. 6 with his feet up on a desk in Ms. Pelosi’s office and a cattle-prod-like stun gun dangling from his belt.

From the moment he was taken into custody, he has waged an ongoing — and so far unsuccessful — effort to be freed on bond, and he loudly lost his patience with the process at an otherwise routine hearing in front of Judge Christopher Cooper of Federal District Court in Washington.

The man who put his feet up on a desk in Pelosi’s office during the Capitol riot throws a tantrum in court.

Richard Barnett, the Arkansas man charged with breaking into Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office and stealing her mail during the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, threw a tantrum during a virtual court hearing on Thursday, yelling at the judge and his own lawyers that it wasn’t “fair” that he was still in jail weeks after his arrest.

One of the most recognizable figures from the Capitol assault, Mr. Barnett, 60, was photographed on Jan. 6 with his feet up on a desk in Ms. Pelosi’s office and a cattle-prod-like stun gun dangling from his belt.

From the moment he was taken into custody, he has waged an ongoing — and so far unsuccessful — effort to be freed on bond, and he loudly lost his patience with the process at an otherwise routine hearing in front of Judge Christopher Cooper of Federal District Court in Washington.

I'm loving this stuff.

I sincerely enjoy hearing about Trump's treasonous supporters being held to account, and squealing like stuck pigs.

But not enough to follow such news personally.

Tom

ETA ~Another favorite was the guy who's Mom went on the news complaining that he couldn't get vegan food in jail. Oh, the humanity!? ~

Back
Top Bottom