• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

Our supermarket has introduced hand scanners, so I can scan each purchase as I take it off the shelf, sorting the groceries as I bag them, and NO ONE ELSE NEEDS TO TOUCH THEM. Which is good, efficient and swift. But they conduct very close to zero training on the system.
There have been several cases where someone who works at Stop And Shop explained how the system works to me, and they were just making shit up. Where the shopping list is stored, how it communicates with the register, why I can't start all over again with a new unit...

Yesterday, the one I had was missing a screw so an access plate on the back was loose. I assume that it's for the battery, only because in my experience, rechargeable batteries die more often than anything else on an electronic device, and would nee the most replacement. A little annoying, but not a show stopper. At the checkout, I remarked that the battery casing was loose.
The clerk shook his head. "Can't be, these things don't have a battery. They're rechargeable."
"Yes.... They have... A rechargeable...battery."
"No, they don't take batteries." Then he slows down as one talking to a foreigner. "They recharge in the slot."

So, maybe it's not the training. Maybe they're just hiring the brain dead...?

Met someone online with the last name Sucksmith. The internet being what it is, I suspect the name is made up to be funny.

I thought about just asking if it's real, but I hesitate because what if it is? Do I then laugh at someone's real name or just awkwardly say, "Oh... That's unfortunate."

Met someone online with the last name Sucksmith. The internet being what it is, I suspect the name is made up to be funny.

I thought about just asking if it's real, but I hesitate because what if it is? Do I then laugh at someone's real name or just awkwardly say, "Oh... That's unfortunate."
Third person it.
"Man, I could almost imagine going through high school with a name like Sucksmith... "

It's not commonplace, but apparently it's a real surname:

https://forebears.io/surnames/sucksmith

This surname is derived from an occupation. 'the shoesmith,' a maker of horseshoes, a farrier. Sixsmith may be a corruption of sickle-smith (v. Sucksmith); but it is probable, however strange it may appear, that all the above names are changes rung upon Shoesmith.

Vowel movements can be tricky - in New Zealand, the name spelled 'Sixsmith' would be pronounced 'Sucksmith'. So perhaps it's not so strange.

The clerk shook his head. "Can't be, these things don't have a battery. They're rechargeable."
"Yes.... They have... A rechargeable...battery."
"No, they don't take batteries." Then he slows down as one talking to a foreigner. "They recharge in the slot."

So, maybe it's not the training. Maybe they're just hiring the brain dead...?

Don't worry scro'! There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.
(Idiocracy)

My friend was a door-to-door salesman in his youth in the 1940's. He told us that he had a list of the names of the residents which he would check when the resident answered the door. He would say "Good morning Mrs. ________," reading the name from his list. So a middle-aged lady answered the door and he said "Good morning Mrs. . . ." and stopped. The surname on his list was "Shithead." The lady grinned and said "It is pronounced SHY-theed, although some with the name say shy'-THAYD."

Someone wrote some graffiti on a wall near my post office. Great big letters to tell the world about his friend,
(NAME)
DOPE PHENE

Oh, come ON people, at least make it Past Tense!

I think 'Name' saw the sign. Because about a can of spray paint was used to obscure the name a day later.
And the next day, it was rewritten in bigger letters on the remaining space on the wall...

Trump's campaign once used a photo of military reenactors (in German uniforms) to highlight his support for the military. It's not even a etretch to think someone might hzve used a screen capture of an SNL cold open for the artist's initial sketches....

I was thinking that, too. There was an actual article published a while back about Trump with an image of Alec Baldwin. :rotfl:

http://https://www.houseofnames.com/sucksmith-family-crest

All that crest needs is something phallic. :rotfl:

I was thinking that, too. There was an actual article published a while back about Trump with an image of Alec Baldwin. :rotfl:

http://https://www.houseofnames.com/sucksmith-family-crest

All that crest needs is something phallic. :rotfl:

:rotfl:

Saw a Frisbee on sale at the supermarket. Well, not a genuine Frisbee, a cheap knock-off from another toy company.
The bag said it could fly, hover, boomerang... and instructions were included!!

I weep that we need instructions for plastic disks in today's market, knowing that most of the market has flung the lids of their coffees or sodas at least once, or seen it done. The physics are not the mysteries of the atom... i mean, before the Frisbee Craze of '67 (and the 'Frisbee finger' epidemic of '68) we made our own toys out of carton lids, trash can lids, coffee can lids, pie pans,.... and we were stupid.
I was disheartened.
My son said, "No, Dad, it's explaining how to do the special tricks!" He gabbed the bag, flipped iyt over.... then dropped the toy in disgust. "It's how to throw a Frisbee."

Back
Top Bottom