• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

Our first home was burglarized while we were out of town. We found out later the burglar tried to get in by the only window my wife left unlocked, a small kitchen window. It was too small for him to get through so he got his toddler to go in and unlock the back door.

Growing up in suburban Maryland, our neighbors were Mel and Regina, 30ish, and they competed in full on ballroom dancing competitions. Mel was from Australia. Our homes were one story in front, but two stories in back as the grade dropped off from front to back. One Saturday evening, early, there was a knock at our door. My Dad answered and found Mel wearing a fancy tux and holding a 20' aluminum extension ladder. "Can I borrow one of your sons mate?" Then pointing at his skintight tux pants, he added "no roo" (no pockets) "I've locked me keys in the house and we'll be late for the show." One the back second story windows was unlocked . . . .

Thing that makes me laugh? Miss Universe 2022 USA "national costume".

From the concept of "what if she wore... the moon?" to the entrance when she clobbers to the stage like she's on stilts (the costume weighs 30 pounds I'm told), to the announcer's articulation, this is pure genius. The coup de grâce is the ending when she turns around. It may look like she forgot part of her costume, but I don't think so. It's perfectly embodies both U.S.A. and keeps up with the lunar theme.

Thing that makes me laugh? Miss Universe 2022 USA "national costume".

From the concept of "what if she wore... the moon?" to the entrance when she clobbers to the stage like she's on stilts (the costume weighs 30 pounds I'm told), to the announcer's articulation, this is pure genius. The coup de grâce is the ending when she turns around. It may look like she forgot part of her costume, but I don't think so. It's perfectly embodies both U.S.A. and keeps up with the lunar theme.

And theeeeeerrrr’s Uranus!

325738919_1589856391455861_8304216176292757557_n.jpg

Scrunch or fold? The scientific debate.

EDITED TO ADD: I didn't even realize there was such variety in ways people use toilet paper.

I don't even know which one I am. I kind of pinch the square in the middle. It's not a scrunch, and if there is just one square it's not really a fold either (though if I use two squares, then they're obviously folded). What's your preferred method?

Home Depot in my town has reached a new, absurd low in anti-theft measures. I went to buy some dimmer switches last Sunday, only to discover that the dimmers are now behind a locked metal grate, secured by three combo locks. I find a guy to open it up and he gives me the dimmers. The sharp corner of the grate pokes him in the arm (pretty seriously) and now he's bleeding and in a pissy mood. I put the dimmers in my cart, and start to leave the electrical isle to purchase more items. He stops me and takes the cart (and me) to the self checkout where the attendent takes the dimmers and scans them herself. Then, its my turn in the process and I insert my credit card to pay for it. I buy the dimmers and go back to the parking lot and put them in my car, then turn around and go back in the store to buy the rest of the hardware I came for. :angry:

What's the deal with dimmers? Why are they a high theft item? Do thieves have super bright lights in their houses or something? I'm never buying dimmers from them again!!

Home Depot in my town has reached a new, absurd low in anti-theft measures. I went to buy some dimmer switches last Sunday, only to discover that the dimmers are now behind a locked metal grate, secured by three combo locks. I find a guy to open it up and he gives me the dimmers. The sharp corner of the grate pokes him in the arm (pretty seriously) and now he's bleeding and in a pissy mood. I put the dimmers in my cart, and start to leave the electrical isle to purchase more items. He stops me and takes the cart (and me) to the self checkout where the attendent takes the dimmers and scans them herself. Then, its my turn in the process and I insert my credit card to pay for it. I buy the dimmers and go back to the parking lot and put them in my car, then turn around and go back in the store to buy the rest of the hardware I came for. :angry:

What's the deal with dimmers? Why are they a high theft item? Do thieves have super bright lights in their houses or something? I'm never buying dimmers from them again!!
There seems to be a lot of anti-theft stuff at Home Depot directed towards products used by electricians--not just the DIY types but the professionals. I don't understand but there's probably a history of shrink.

Today is my birthday. My wife and I went to the Immersive exhibit Monet and the Impressionists.

On the way back, she was driving and I was trying to pause a podcast. I struggled with my phone at length before figuring out why I couldn't: The podcast was playing on her phone, not mine.

My wife's comment: "Seventy-two years old, but no smarter than when you were seventy-one."

At least I'm holding steady.
Happy birthday! :) 🎉🥳🥂🎂

Punxsutawney Phil, dressed in Tommy Bahama's and singing Jimmy Buffett came out and claimed we are to have six more weeks of whatever this is. Ya know, if that little fucker wants to keep his job, he's going to need to put in a little more effort.

Back
Top Bottom