• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

I can't believe that story. How many floor joists did they have to saw through? That's hard work. And a carpet wouldn't cover up a sagging floor.
I asked Jamie for details.
Turns out it's not Jamie's story. It's Bob's. Why Jamie told it first person is unclear.

So it's friend of a friend stuff. But i can imagine Bob taking a chainsaw to his own floor for a cabinet...

Wait, they used a fracking chainsaw to cut the hole in the floor?!?
I don't kniw, but if Bob and alcohols were involved anything is possible.

Bob was on the opposite crew of a friend of mine. They pulled into port and started turnover. After 2 months at sea, Bob was excitedvto go ashore and call his wjfe.
Comes back to the division, and where both crews could hear him, announces, "Guess what?! When i get home, my wife says we can try anal!"
Dead silence...until 1 guy asks, 'Did your wife buy a strap-on?'
"Um...i don't know?"
"Think you should find that out before you celebrate?"
"Good idea!"runs out. Comes back five minutes later. "Nope. She means i get to do her in the ass, not the other way around." Again, loud enough for ten, twelve missile techs to hear....
Congrats, Bob.

Did the cabinets work with the insane cutting?

Because in the real world the height of the room usually isn't perfectly uniform. What would fit in one place might not fit in another. You always leave a bit of space to be covered by molding because of this. Despite working with construction people for ages I forgot that when I installed a light above a window. It's visibly out of alignment with the window--the light is level, the window is not.

And how did they get it in the front door? Or down the stairs to the basement? Most houses' basements have a lower ceiling height than the main floor. Sorry, this isn't a real story.

And how did they get it in the front door? Or down the stairs to the basement? Most houses' basements have a lower ceiling height than the main floor. Sorry, this isn't a real story.

You carry them in horizontally. No big deal unless you have some tight turns involved. (You have to consider what the stairs are like when putting tall cabinets on anything but the ground floor.)

The only cabinets which are problematic in going through doors are base corner cabinets (or conceivably tall corner cabinets but I have never seen one despite working with cabinet factories for a quarter century.) Everything else will be no more than 24 inches deep, going through the door this is the width, the height becomes the length and the width becomes the height, no problem. (While in theory you could have a 8' length of 7' high cabinets that would never be done because it's too heavy.)

Are you suggesting they got them into the kitchen, but found they couldn't stand them up, so then decided to take them out of the kitchen, downstairs, where they couldn't stand them up either, then cut a hole in the floor, bigger than the minimum because then they'd have to because they need extra clearance to stand them up, only to get the cabinets back where they were before, only stood up?

I'm sorry, can't believe it. No one is that stupid. That is 10 times more work than is necessary.

Just cut the base and toekick off the cabinet, stand it up, rebuild a toekick on the floor where they want the cabinets, and set the cabinets there. I can believe stupidity, I just can't believe a stupid person would do 10 times more work than a half-ass but smart solution would be. Even an idiot wouldn't move the cabinet from where it belonged, but would knock off a portion of it to make it fit. He might not knock off the correct part, but he'd knock something off rather than do all that crap.

Ask Jamie to talk to Bob.

Are you suggesting they got them into the kitchen, but found they couldn't stand them up, so then decided to take them out of the kitchen, downstairs, where they couldn't stand them up either, then cut a hole in the floor, bigger than the minimum because then they'd have to because they need extra clearance to stand them up, only to get the cabinets back where they were before, only stood up?

I'm sorry, can't believe it. No one is that stupid. That is 10 times more work than is necessary.

Just cut the base and toekick off the cabinet, stand it up, rebuild a toekick on the floor where they want the cabinets, and set the cabinets there. I can believe stupidity, I just can't believe a stupid person would do 10 times more work than a half-ass but smart solution would be. Even an idiot wouldn't move the cabinet from where it belonged, but would knock off a portion of it to make it fit. He might not knock off the correct part, but he'd knock something off rather than do all that crap.

Ask Jamie to talk to Bob.

Knocking off the toe kick works fine if you don't have a finished side. If you do it leaves an exposed cut.

But i can imagine Bob taking a chainsaw to his own floor for a cabinet...[emphasis added]

Wait, they used a fracking chainsaw to cut the hole in the floor?!?

Probably used a circle saw. But Keith can imagine Bob using a chainsaw if he was drunk.

-

Did the cabinets work with the insane cutting?

Because in the real world the height of the room usually isn't perfectly uniform. What would fit in one place might not fit in another. You always leave a bit of space to be covered by molding because of this. Despite working with construction people for ages I forgot that when I installed a light above a window. It's visibly out of alignment with the window--the light is level, the window is not.

Let's say the ceiling is eight foot, and the cabinet is somewhere around seven foot ten. That leaves plenty of room to shift the cabinet around after standing it up, but doesn't leave enough room to stand it up.

I'm hoping for a final punchline, where they realize that instead of cutting a hole in the ceiling, they could have just popped one of the panels in the drop ceiling.

-

Before anyone asks, no, we have no reason to believe that Bob has a drop ceiling.

-

Think of something like a grandfather's clock. Only wider. As much as four foot wide.

Seven foot ten tall, one foot deep, two or four foot wide. Carried on its side, that fits easily thru the door.

It didn't go to the basement. It went to the kitchen. It was too tall and deep to stand up in the kitchen, so--instead of raising the kitchen ceiling, they lowered the floor.

If you remove 3/4 in of flooring material, that might make all the difference. If that doesn't suffice, you can dip the rear/bottom edge of the cabinet into the space between joists during rotation. That ought to do it.

-

That's a wonderful image, but I don't think anyone's suggesting that.

I'm sorry, can't believe it. No one is that stupid.

I don't believe your version either.

But, no one is that stupid? I've known people who had some stunningly stupid moments.

-

Apropos of nothing, an anecdote:

My new house had storm windows but no screens. So, come spring, we ordered a set of screens from local craftsmen. They came out and measured, and went away to build the screens.

When they delivered, one of the screens was a rhombus rather than a rectangle. It didn't fit. The guys apologized and said they'd build another one.

I said, "Wait a moment." I grabbed the top of the screen and pulled so that it became a rectangle. Now it fit perfectly.

The craftsmen grinned up at me, and one of them said, "That's why you're the lawyer."

-

Note: I'm not a lawyer, nor am I representing myself to be a lawyer. I'm retired. I used to tell people I was a recovering attorney, but, now that I let my license lapse, I am fully recovered.

Last edited:
Knocking off the toe kick works fine if you don't have a finished side. If you do it leaves an exposed cut.
yeah, and so does cutting through the floor.

If you rebuild the toe kick, you can finish it as a piece. If the toe kick doesn't quite match the rest of the cabinet, it doesn't matter as much, because they are often finished differently and installed separately. That's why they are the part you take off if you need to. Always make your cut marks at natural dividing lines, they will look natural.

This whole cabinet story has all the signs of being an urban legend. I just checked Snopes. Nothing...so far.

So... wait. Jamie's stupid story us really bob's stupid story, which is maybe not even bob's... so both idiot's stole an idiot story to present themselves as idiots... that's some dedication to the stupid.

Wife bought this handy hand-held luggage scale so we could weigh our bags prior to going on long trip over seas (to make sure we were under the 50 lbs limit on the one large case). Prior to leaving, and after checking that our case was just within the limit, I decided that we’d be fine not taking the little scale with us (to recheck on the return).

On the trip, the day before our return, thinking about the gifts and stuff we bought (extra weight you know), I say to wife “we should have brought the luggage scale, ‘cause it doesn’t weigh anything” ...

… followed immediately by her saying “then why would we bring it?”

Wife bought this handy hand-held luggage scale so we could weigh our bags prior to going on long trip over seas (to make sure we were under the 50 lbs limit on the one large case). Prior to leaving, and after checking that our case was just within the limit, I decided that we’d be fine not taking the little scale with us (to recheck on the return).

On the trip, the day before our return, thinking about the gifts and stuff we bought (extra weight you know), I say to wife “we should have brought the luggage scale, ‘cause it doesn’t weigh anything” ...

… followed immediately by her saying “then why would we bring it?”

So she let you weigh the bags with a scale she knew didn't work? :):)

So, we used to prank a lot on the subs.
Prank, initiation, felonious assault... tomato, tomahto.

A common element in the pranking was duct tape. We taped people to chairs, to bulkheads, to overhead piping, wove duct-tape barriers to seal someone into their bunk. Five pounds of tape wrapped around someone's mug.

Anyway, it's been 20 years since i had to worry about fellow sailors with duct tape. But i USED to worry quite a bit.

Yesterday, i dozed at my computer desk. Youngest son called my name. I didn't wake.
Tapped my shoe with his foot, no response.
Went and got a roll of duct tape, pulled three inches off the roll, with that distinctive zipping sound.

I came up outta my chair, fully cognizant of where i was, who was in the room, and who was holding that goddamned roll of tape. Son was impressed. He hadn't been sure all my sea stories were true, but this goes a long way to confirming many of them....

Back
Top Bottom