• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Time to stop being a consumer...

So to the conservative or libertarian atheist an invisible sky daddy directing the affairs of men is a bunch of malarkey but an invisible hand guiding the affairs of men is perfectly legit.
It's a metaphor for the totality of market forces.
And of course this metaphorical hand is amoral which means that some government regulation is necessary to ward off undesirable actions of the invisible hand.
Woah. Amoral? There is no actual hand, just advertising which can be explicitly immoral.
On the other hand, government can also overregulate or regulate incompetently which is also not good.
Yes. Overregulation can exist. But seeing that it is legal to use mental manipulation on television towards children, I don't think we've reached that level of overregulation yet.
Since advertising has been mentioned, strict advertising rules in many countries are an example of such overregulation. For example, you apparently can't show cars driving fast in England (looks like even 60 mph is "too fast"), New Zealand banned a moderately racy Carl Jr./Hardees hamburger ad and Swedish new lefty minority government wants to ban "sexist" ads, where "sexism" is defined in a predictably 2nd wave feminist fashion (any hint of sexualized female form is haram, but I doubt very much commercial showing sexualized scantily clad men will be affected).
I'm sorry, did you say "strict"? Because I didn't see an example of "strict" above. Perhaps overreaching in a case or two, but certainly not "strict".

Maxparrish has hit the nail on the head - although he is drawing exactly the wrong conclusion from his premises.

People like to think that they make 'adult' descisions, calm, rational, well thought out.

Furthermore, people will not usually admit - even to themselves, let alone to maxparrish and his internet ideological brethren - that they make stupid and self destructive choices, and that they are easily led to do so.

pet rock.jpg

My points all apply to the claim that corporations aren't in a vast conspiracy and effort to foist unwanted products onto us. They ARE in such a conspiracy and effort. They pay millions of dollars in lobbying fees toward the conspiracy and millions of dollars in advertising to the effort.

Whether consumers hold any responsibility in repelling this conspiracy and effort is irrelevant to the fact that it exists, in spades.

To demonstrate that they are not strictly after a market that already wants and only needs to decide on brand but rather are after people who did not even want prior to hearing from the advertising juggernaut, I point you to infant formula pushed in hospital maternity wards. ...

You are channeling the old criticism (informed by Veblen) known as "The Dependence Effect", proposed by economist J.K. Galbraith in his 1958 book "The Affluent Society". At one time this book was frequently included in the required readings for intro Economic students. Like many trendy ideas, the popularity of the dependence effect was a product of it's age; whereas prior criticisms of capitalism by the left had been on its failure to produce plenty for the average man, the undeniable post-war affluence and creation of a broad middle class spurred folks like Galbraith to attack capitalism from another direction, for it's providing and encouraging the masses to buy far more things than he thought people needed.

These days most folks don't feel all that "affluent". Outside of the occasional housing co-op or rural commune, folks today are far more concerned with an anemic economy, security, and a lack of wage growth than with the sin of over consumption. Hence, this complaint seems rather antiquated.

Anyway, in 1961 economist Friedrick Hayek wrote a reply, The Non Sequitur of the "Dependence Effect" in the Southern Economic Journal that, to my mind, remains as the conclusive rejection of the Dependence Effect. Hayek pointed out many flaws, not the least of which was its meaningless conceptualization.

It is perfectly true that man has very few "innate" needs, perhaps as few as food, sheltering, and sex. And it is also true that most wants come from a desire (a want) to enjoy various objects and/or activities, such as music, reading, socializing with others (e.g. the Internet), theater, tasty food, drink, sports, recreation, etc. None of these things are essential to our basic existence...but they do make life far more pleasurable.

And none of these things would exist if we did not have culture ("learned and shared behavior") to both create and display folks enjoyment. Most of us would not have tried Jazz or Classical music, or read novels, or gone to a movie, or tried snow skiing, or gone to trendy restaurants if we had never been exposed to them by others (friends, fellow workers, media, news, etc.). "Learned and shared behavior" is the basis of all human culture and of civilization itself, and it requires no 'corporate conspiracy'.

Most wants for goods and services are not just for basic needs, nor are most on the extreme end due to purely a desire for "conspicuous consumption" (and to the extent they are, most are not created by advertising) - most wants exist because they are for something we find enjoyable and/or useful.

PS - Need more proof?
More proof? You haven't yet provided any evidence, much less proof. I assert that advertising subverts culture. The existence of culture is a prerequisite, not a rebuttal.
In totalitarian communist societies western media and business advertising was banned and communication with Westerners was non-existent for the mass of their citizens. Yet, among others, Soviet citizens hungered for all those products and services you claim as being manufactured by corporations. Despite being saturated by communist brain-washing, they sought out (and black marketed) nylons, lipstick, levi jeans, rock and roll records, etc. ... and a few of the lucky ones even obtained a western automobile.

So much for the evil corporate conspiracy narrative...

it is most impressive that the Soviet people had a desire for goods they had never heard of.

Oh, wait, sorry, I mean 'absurd', not 'impressive' :rolleyesa:

The Cold War was an information war - advertising writ large. Do you think that Levi's were desired by the Soviets because they are clearly better than any other brand of jeans? People who had never seen denim wanted Levi's - not jeans, nor even American jeans, but specifically Levi's - and you are confident that marketing and advertising had no influence on this desire? Pull the other one.

What's wrong with considering looks among other features?
All things being equal, why is it irrational to prefer a good looking car to an ugly one?
Buying a beautiful car that is poorly built, doesn't meet your needs or that you can't afford is certainly irrational, but choosing a car (or any other product) that appeals to you aesthetically is certainly not.

The whole car buying process is full of irrationalities.

The advertising is little but emotional imagery and appeals to emotional desires.

Every year for some unknown reason the style must change. It is not enough to make functional improvements to an already aesthetically pleasing design.

Then when you go to buy the car for some reason the price is not fixed. What you pay depends on external knowledge and negotiating skills.

One irrationality on top of another.

The new car market is not a rational market.

The new car market is often thrown out as an example of an irrational market, but this only because most retail these days is on a large enough scale, it's possible to sell almost everything with a fixed price, even when the actual cost of sales may not be the same for identical items. One shipment of deluxe widgets may have been shipped a greater distance. Another shipment may have been bought during a drop in wholesale prices. Both shipments go on the shelf with the same price. The only rational thing about this is it's easier and more efficient. A retailer can't have different prices for identical items.

I remember browsing in an antique dealer's booth, many years ago. He had two very similar cabinets for sale. One was in much poorer shape than the other, but priced $45 more. I asked about this and he said, "I've got more in that one." This means it cost him more than the other. It also meant he either didn't care whether he sold poor one, or he just wasn't a very good businessman.

The new car market in not a high unit volume sales market. The actual costs per unit vary according to several different factors. When a new car goes into dealership inventory, the dealer pays no interest on it for 30 days. I don't believe any other retailer has this arrangement with their supplier. This means a car which does not sell in the first 30 days starts to cost the dealer more. This is pressure to sell the car for more, but a car that has been sitting for several months could be replaced with a newer car straight off the truck, so this may encourage the dealer to try to break even, or maybe take a loss on the deal. If a manufacturer has a surplus of a particular model, they offer incentives to dealers in the form of rebates, in order to move the product. On the other hand, Corvettes are rationed to dealerships, usually based on how many cheaper models were sold. A dealer might happily sell ten Sonic sedans at a $200 mark up in order to insure he receives more Corvettes, which will bring about $10K over invoice price.

Beyond that, there are differences in similar models, due to different options, either from the factory or added by the dealership. Some have dubious value, such as the finish protection package, or anti-stain fabric treatment, but keyless entry systems and security systems add actual value and utility.

The last factor in the sale price of a car is the credit market. A lot of people go shopping for credit and use it to buy a car. This means the sale price is secondary to the monthly payment. This can go both ways. The sale price may be slightly lower because the dealer may receive a substantial share of the finance charges. It may be higher because, as I said, the note is what really matters.

It's all perfectly rational, but rational does not mean transparent, or easy.

The whole car buying process is full of irrationalities.

The advertising is little but emotional imagery and appeals to emotional desires.

Every year for some unknown reason the style must change. It is not enough to make functional improvements to an already aesthetically pleasing design.

Then when you go to buy the car for some reason the price is not fixed. What you pay depends on external knowledge and negotiating skills.

One irrationality on top of another.

The new car market is not a rational market.

The new car market is often thrown out as an example of an irrational market, but this only because most retail these days is on a large enough scale, it's possible to sell almost everything with a fixed price, even when the actual cost of sales may not be the same for identical items. One shipment of deluxe widgets may have been shipped a greater distance. Another shipment may have been bought during a drop in wholesale prices. Both shipments go on the shelf with the same price. The only rational thing about this is it's easier and more efficient. A retailer can't have different prices for identical items.

I remember browsing in an antique dealer's booth, many years ago. He had two very similar cabinets for sale. One was in much poorer shape than the other, but priced $45 more. I asked about this and he said, "I've got more in that one." This means it cost him more than the other. It also meant he either didn't care whether he sold poor one, or he just wasn't a very good businessman.

The new car market in not a high unit volume sales market. The actual costs per unit vary according to several different factors. When a new car goes into dealership inventory, the dealer pays no interest on it for 30 days. I don't believe any other retailer has this arrangement with their supplier. This means a car which does not sell in the first 30 days starts to cost the dealer more. This is pressure to sell the car for more, but a car that has been sitting for several months could be replaced with a newer car straight off the truck, so this may encourage the dealer to try to break even, or maybe take a loss on the deal. If a manufacturer has a surplus of a particular model, they offer incentives to dealers in the form of rebates, in order to move the product. On the other hand, Corvettes are rationed to dealerships, usually based on how many cheaper models were sold. A dealer might happily sell ten Sonic sedans at a $200 mark up in order to insure he receives more Corvettes, which will bring about $10K over invoice price.

Beyond that, there are differences in similar models, due to different options, either from the factory or added by the dealership. Some have dubious value, such as the finish protection package, or anti-stain fabric treatment, but keyless entry systems and security systems add actual value and utility.

The last factor in the sale price of a car is the credit market. A lot of people go shopping for credit and use it to buy a car. This means the sale price is secondary to the monthly payment. This can go both ways. The sale price may be slightly lower because the dealer may receive a substantial share of the finance charges. It may be higher because, as I said, the note is what really matters.

All you've done is say there are some reasons for a small difference in price in different parts of the country.

It doesn't show the rationality of needing a different style of the same thing every year, or the difference in the price paid for the same car at the same dealership.

It says nothing about the irrationality in the advertising.

The situation is one irrationality on top of another.

All you've done is say there are some reasons for a small difference in price in different parts of the country.

It doesn't show the rationality of needing a different style of the same thing every year, or the difference in the price paid for the same car at the same dealership.

It says nothing about the irrationality in the advertising.

The situation is one irrationality on top of another.

Not liking something other people do does not make their behavior irrational. It would be just as easy to declare your statements on the subject to be irrational and support that with very rational reasons.

Not liking something other people do does not make their behavior irrational. It would be just as easy to declare your statements on the subject to be irrational and support that with very rational reasons.

This has nothing to do with me liking anything.

The commercials are great.

They are irrational appeals to emotional desires and not rational explorations however.

The irrationality of the whole situation has nothing to do with my likes or dislikes.

More proof? You haven't yet provided any evidence, much less proof. I assert that advertising subverts culture. The existence of culture is a prerequisite, not a rebuttal.
The "proof" is in Hayek's demonstration of the non-sequitur, a failure of Galbraith's reasoning over 'the effect' - it was not an empirical question but one of meaningless conceptualization.

And advertising does not subvert culture, it IS a part of our culture. It is a part of our civilization's learnings, shared information, and shared behavior. We market, advocate, instruct, entertain, and communicate in many forms and through many processes - advertising being one... including political advertising for Obama or Hillary, no?

In totalitarian communist societies western media and business advertising was banned and communication with Westerners was non-existent for the mass of their citizens. Yet, among others, Soviet citizens hungered for all those products and services you claim as being manufactured by corporations. Despite being saturated by communist brain-washing, they sought out (and black marketed) nylons, lipstick, levi jeans, rock and roll records, etc. ... and a few of the lucky ones even obtained a western automobile.

it is most impressive that the Soviet people had a desire for goods they had never heard of.

The Cold War was an information war - advertising writ large. Do you think that Levi's were desired by the Soviets because they are clearly better than any other brand of jeans? People who had never seen denim wanted Levi's - not jeans, nor even American jeans, but specifically Levi's - and you are confident that marketing and advertising had no influence on this desire? Pull the other one.

Of course I am confident that corporate marketing and advertising had virtually no influence on Soviet consumers - how could they? All information about the West was provided by the dreary government or party run Pravda and Izvestia (and State radio/TV), not by ATT Cable Universe and Cosmo Magazine. The Soviet Union was a closed society (only today's North Korea was/is worse). Whatever tastes Soviet citizens adopted could not have been from Madison Avenue, but did stem from some inherent appeal in the individual...including a desire for hard to get Levi's.

The "proof" is in Hayek's demonstration of the non-sequitur, a failure of Galbraith's reasoning over 'the effect' - it was not an empirical question but one of meaningless conceptualization.

And advertising does not subvert culture, it IS a part of our culture. It is a part of our civilization's learnings, shared information, and shared behavior. We market, advocate, instruct, entertain, and communicate in many forms and through many processes - advertising being one... including political advertising for Obama or Hillary, no?
I don't know why you are singling out political advertising for special mention; as I am not in the USA, nor eligible to vote in US presidential elections, such advertising is neither aimed at me, nor able to influence me to the desired end of the advertiser if it were - I am legally debarred from acting upon their message. I suspect that you are leaping to the completely incorrect assumption that I am a supporter of Obama and/or Hillary; I am not, and nor am I eligible to be. Not all political debate takes place in the rather limited framework of US partisan politics, and I have little interest in that rather small pond.

Advertising is not like other forms of information, in that it is explicitly and intentionally attempting to change people's behaviour. Only propaganda - which I would argue is simply the subset of advertising where the product is ideological - has a similar motive.

Of course I am confident that corporate marketing and advertising had virtually no influence on Soviet consumers - how could they? All information about the West was provided by the dreary government or party run Pravda and Izvestia (and State radio/TV), not by ATT Cable Universe and Cosmo Magazine. The Soviet Union was a closed society (only today's North Korea was/is worse). Whatever tastes Soviet citizens adopted could not have been from Madison Avenue, but did stem from some inherent appeal in the individual...including a desire for hard to get Levi's.

The very existence of that desire is clear evidence that you are wrong; The Soviet state may have tried to completely control the information that its citizens received, but they demonstrably must have failed, or no desire for Levi's could have existed. People don't want things that they don't know even exist.

A brief glance at the history shows many ways in which Soviet citizens were exposed to western media. Your picture of the Soviet bloc as a completely closed society with no such exposure is pure fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_America#The_Cold_War
In 1947, VOA started broadcasting to the Soviet citizens in Russian under the pretext of countering "more harmful instances of Soviet propaganda directed against American leaders and policies" on the part of the internal Soviet Russian-language media, according to "Cold War Propaganda" by John B. Whitton...
...after the collapse of the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union, interviews with participants in anti-Soviet movements verified the effectiveness of VOA broadcasts in transmitting information to socialist societies.

This has nothing to do with me liking anything.

The commercials are great.

They are irrational appeals to emotional desires and not rational explorations however.

The irrationality of the whole situation has nothing to do with my likes or dislikes.

To me, it appears quite irrational. Every person is free to decide their own wants and desires. If a person wants a particular car which seems impractical to others, it is not irrational behavior. Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors of ice cream. Is it rational to argue any person should be content with vanilla and those who want another flavor are being irrational?

What if a person buys a car which has no engine? Is this irrational? Suppose they into to use it as a chicken coop and this suits their need? I'm sure you have rational reasons for declaring car commercials to be great and in the next sentence say, "They are irrational appeals to emotional desires and not rational explorations however," even though to me, it seems to push the limits of rationality.

To me, it appears quite irrational. Every person is free to decide their own wants and desires. If a person wants a particular car which seems impractical to others, it is not irrational behavior. Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors of ice cream. Is it rational to argue any person should be content with vanilla and those who want another flavor are being irrational?

What if a person buys a car which has no engine? Is this irrational? Suppose they into to use it as a chicken coop and this suits their need? I'm sure you have rational reasons for declaring car commercials to be great and in the next sentence say, "They are irrational appeals to emotional desires and not rational explorations however," even though to me, it seems to push the limits of rationality.

The commercials are great irrational appeals to emotional desires.

For people living in some kind of dream state they probably work.

Ahhh.... Big Cadillac flies to the clouds..... Whole family happy.

I want.

I want.

Is there something inherently wrong about preferring one kind of car over another? Or, is it inherently wrong to want a car?

I want.

Is there something inherently wrong about preferring one kind of car over another? Or, is it inherently wrong to want a car?

What is wrong is the game played by car manufacturers advertisers and dealers.

It is a game that tries as hard as possible to take advantage of human irrationality. And takes most advantage of those least able to protect themselves.

"wrong with preferring one kind of car over another"? That could be debated. But just let's not pretend that the car manufacturers advertisers and dealers have any interest in whether this car is going to fit your actual needs and desires best, and that they are not working together to sell as many of these as possible regardless of whether there is an inherent and pre-existing "demand" as was posited earlier.

I didn't say you posted a video. I'm saying the video that made the case was faked.

Was that the Pinto or a different car?

The Pinto. There was a video that ran on TV that basically sealed the fate of the Pinto--only they used pyrotechnics to make the fire and cut the clip just before the fire went out.

Unfortunately, there's a more recent event with the name "Pinto" making information hard to find (and stuff from before the internet era is hard to find online anyway). However, I do find:

http://walterolson.com/articles/crashtests.html

"wrong with preferring one kind of car over another"? That could be debated. But just let's not pretend that the car manufacturers advertisers and dealers have any interest in whether this car is going to fit your actual needs and desires best, and that they are not working together to sell as many of these as possible regardless of whether there is an inherent and pre-existing "demand" as was posited earlier.

Is Jif peanut butter interested in whether their peanut butter is going to fit my actual needs and desires best? I don't think so. They are counting on me being able to make a sensible choice and not buy something I don't want or need.

Advertising informs consumers what is for sale and what it does. I do not believe people are fooled into buying something they don't want by pretty pictures and cool music. I'm not and I'll give the rest of the world the benefit of the doubt.

It is a game that tries as hard as possible to take advantage of human irrationality. And takes most advantage of those least able to protect themselves.

Car manufactures, phone manufacturers, and alarm clock manufacturers are not Doctors without Borders or the International Red Cross. We really shouldn't expect them to be altruistic and philanthropic organizations.

It is noble of you to be concerned about people who are least able to protect themselves. Especially the dumb ones. They really need help.

Car manufactures, phone manufacturers, and alarm clock manufacturers are not Doctors without Borders or the International Red Cross. We really shouldn't expect them to be altruistic and philanthropic organizations.

It is noble of you to be concerned about people who are least able to protect themselves. Especially the dumb ones. They really need help.

Taking advantage of the most vulnerable is an achievement for some.

Is Jif peanut butter interested in whether their peanut butter is going to fit my actual needs and desires best? I don't think so. They are counting on me being able to make a sensible choice and not buy something I don't want or need.

Advertising informs consumers what is for sale and what it does. I do not believe people are fooled into buying something they don't want by pretty pictures and cool music. I'm not and I'll give the rest of the world the benefit of the doubt.

I disagree. Advertising does not inform. It manipulates and persuades.
I'm not saying this is right or wrong, nor suggesting that they have no right to try.

But I am definitely saying that they ARE trying to get people to buy things they don't need and they ARE trying to fool people into buying things. When they crank up volume for TV commercials, make false and misleading claims and attempt to target vulnerable markets, they are very deliberate and carefully orchestrated efforts.

Buying a car based on it's looks.
What's wrong with considering looks among other features?
All things being equal, why is it irrational to prefer a good looking car to an ugly one?
Buying a beautiful car that is poorly built, doesn't meet your needs or that you can't afford is certainly irrational, but choosing a car (or any other product) that appeals to you aesthetically is certainly not.

Nothing wrong with it, but the desire for beautiful objects can leave the buyer open to exploitation by marketeers, businesses designing, manufacturing and offering ever more desirable objects for profit rather than actual need: a new model every year or so. Get rid of the old and buy the fancy new model and you'll be the envy of your peers; designed obsolescence and appealing to the psychological power of desire....

Back
Top Bottom