• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Time to stop being a consumer...

I disagree. Advertising does not inform. It manipulates and persuades.
I'm not saying this is right or wrong, nor suggesting that they have no right to try.

Sometimes it informs.

Years ago I ran into an ad. I had never heard of the product but when I saw it it was an Aha!, that's the answer. I promptly ordered some.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, nor suggesting that they have no right to try.

Sometimes it informs.

Years ago I ran into an ad. I had never heard of the product but when I saw it it was an Aha!, that's the answer. I promptly ordered some.

Yes, but did you really need to buy this product, or were you manipulated into a purchase of something which served no purpose in your life?

Sometimes it informs.

That is the way I look at advertising. Most is informing about things I have no interest in so are ignored. However, occasionally it is helpful.

Example:
I love Mexican food but moved to a new and small town and the only Mexican restaurant I could find wasn't that good. A new Mexican restaurant opened and the only way I knew of it was that they put up a billboard on the road that I often used. I made a mental note to try it instead of the one that I knew about the next time I had a yen for Mexican food. It is now one of my favorite restaurants.

The billboard did not convince me to eat Mexican food that I otherwise wouldn't. It informed me that there was competition in town.

Sometimes it informs.

That is the way I look at advertising. Most is informing about things I have no interest in so are ignored. However, occasionally it is helpful.

Example:
I love Mexican food but moved to a new and small town and the only Mexican restaurant I could find wasn't that good. A new Mexican restaurant opened and the only way I knew of it was that they put up a billboard on the road that I often used. I made a mental note to try it instead of the one that I knew about the next time I had a yen for Mexican food. It is now one of my favorite restaurants.

The billboard did not convince me to eat Mexican food that I otherwise wouldn't. It informed me that there was competition in town.

So then, you discovered where the place was. It did not take a focus group and a cartoon series with flying talking tortillas to get you to go there. If you watch TV, listen to the radio, drive on the street, or even use public transportation, you are exposed to thousands of advertising messages. These messages are designed to shape your perception of reality in such a manner that you will buy their stuff...or their ideas. Your teeth are not bright enough and that constant headache you have can be eliminated by just one pill a day. Today's ads have flying cars and all sorts of mumbo jumbo. Living in the advertising world does not help your grip on reality.;)

It's a very poorly worded construction, but now that you clarify, it becomes another irrelevant fact.

I can accept it was poorly worded, but it isn't irrelevant.

If now suddenly all new cars are bought at auction that totally changes the dynamic.

What would happen is impossible to predict but in that situation any hesitancy of the car buying sector will cause the price of cars to drop.

It's a very poorly worded construction, but now that you clarify, it becomes another irrelevant fact.

If now suddenly all new cars are bought at auction that totally changes the dynamic.

What would happen is impossible to predict but in that situation any hesitancy of the car buying sector will cause the price of cars to drop.

Are you telling me you are unaware or are having difficulty finding vehicles for sale from dealers that have a "no haggle" policy?

Are you telling me you are unaware or are having difficulty finding vehicles for sale from dealers that have a "no haggle" policy?

I question why there is a haggling policy at all. Who does it serve?

It is there so that the dealership can better take advantage of the most vulnerable. Kind of like vultures.

What would happen would be, every car would be sold with perfect transparency. The dealer can't pressure someone to pay more than they should. The car sells to the highest bidder. Of course, it's likely every car would sell for a different price, which you have previously stated is bad.

I question why there is a haggling policy at all. Who does it serve?

It is there so that the dealership can better take advantage of the most vulnerable. Kind of like vultures.

Who are these vulnerable people who need protection from dealerships? What is their particular deficiency which makes them vulnerable and more likely to buy the type of car you would not approve, for too much money?

Who are these vulnerable people who need protection from dealerships? What is their particular deficiency which makes them vulnerable and more likely to buy the type of car you would not approve, for too much money?

Generally women, middle aged and elderly. Those least likely to make strong protests and demands. But also males with weak personalities.

It is blindness to think that some can't be more intimidated by the process than others.

Like taking candy from a baby.

The idea of no haggle is an idea of only a few countries in the world. For people in most countries. haggling is a way of life and they would laugh at anyone foolish enough to pay the initial asking price (of course they would only laugh after you paid and left).

Example:

So then, you discovered where the place was. It did not take a focus group and a cartoon series with flying talking tortillas to get you to go there. If you watch TV, listen to the radio, drive on the street, or even use public transportation, you are exposed to thousands of advertising messages. These messages are designed to shape your perception of reality in such a manner that you will buy their stuff...or their ideas. Your teeth are not bright enough and that constant headache you have can be eliminated by just one pill a day. Today's ads have flying cars and all sorts of mumbo jumbo. Living in the advertising world does not help your grip on reality.;)
Was this supposed to be a reply to what I wrote or just a rant.

I see nothing of what you wrote as having any connection to me liking Mexican food.

The idea of no haggle is an idea of only a few countries in the world. For people in most countries. haggling is a way of life and they would laugh at anyone foolish enough to pay the initial asking price (of course they would only laugh after you paid and left).
Which has very little to do with "no haggle" car dealerships. The reason why they don't want haggling is because nowadays buyers can easily google what the dealer paid for the car and what's the real value. If I owned a dealership, I'd want nothing more than to see this type of "haggling" go away and set a fixed price so my salespeople don't have to waste hours and hours in haggling to get the same price anyway.

The antiquated idea of some middle eastern Bazaar where you haggle for hours for price of a goat is utterly anachronistic in age of internet where it's possible to line up and compare hundreds if not thousands of buyers and sellers side by side, sometimes even automatically.

Generally women, middle aged and elderly. Those least likely to make strong protests and demands. But also males with weak personalities.

It is blindness to think that some can't be more intimidated by the process than others.

You certainly have your work cut out for you. I suggest a cape.

It isn't just my work to make the world a place where elderly widows aren't taken advantage of.

It is the work of any decent person.

It isn't just my work to make the world a place where elderly widows aren't taken advantage of.

And what work are you doing to provide better deals on goods and services to others? The great thing about a free market is those who wish to provide such deals are rewarded in the market by being able to attract customers who prefer good deals.

And what work are you doing to provide better deals on goods and services to others? The great thing about a free market is those who wish to provide such deals are rewarded in the market by being able to attract customers who prefer good deals.

Yes isn't the free market great.

Taking advantage of old widows with a clean conscience.

Isn't freedom great? What do you suggest? Outlawing freedom, which allows for both good behavior and bad behavior? The core of all your objections is ultimately "freedom sucks, because some people will use that freedom in ways that I object to."

Isn't freedom great? What do you suggest? Outlawing freedom, which allows for both good behavior and bad behavior? The core of all your objections is ultimately "freedom sucks, because some people will use that freedom in ways that I object to."

There is nothing wrong with freedom; There is nothing wrong with food either, but I won't eat 20 hamburgers at a sitting; And warmth is nice, but I don't want to be heated to 3,000oC.

All things in moderation. If you think freedom is an exception, you will need to do more than just assert it to persuade me.

Your freedom to swing your arm ends at my nose. Your freedom to lie about your product ends when someone is defrauded. If you tell me that corrosion protection for 'just' and extra $500 will increase the life of my new car, then you had better be able to support that claim. If you say drinking Coke will make me attractive to women, you had better be able to back that up with some hard science. If you can't, then you are committing fraud, in fact if not in law, and no, I don't think you should be 'free' to do so.

Back
Top Bottom