• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump just won

Didn't we just have eight years of "Hope and Change" ?
Yeah exactly. That’s why Obama got in… He sold the whole “change” thing far better that Clinton did.

That's because to anyone who has at least two brain cells to rub together, it was obvious that Clinton wasn't change. She was the candidate of the Status Quo the whole time.

Okay Democrats, this is worse than 2004.

You could have had a good candidate. You could have had a candidate whose best feature isn't "not Trump" but actually being good.

As much as I disagreed on so much with Bernie, I still thought he was one of the best candidates running.

Democrats, you let Hillary conspire with Wasserman to ensure she gets to steal the nomination out from under Bernie.

Now you've got Trump.

Why do I compare it to '04? Because Bush was weak then.

Sometimes, when you run against a very strong incumbent, you don't waste a good candidate on them, you put up someone credible that you're willing to waste. Call that person "Mondale" or "Dole". But when the candidate IS beatable you put up someone who can beat them. That person wasn't Kerry. Think Reagan v Carter or Clinton v. Bush.

There were no very strong Republicans this time around. A good Democrat could have beaten any of them. Instead you guys chose Hillary, and now we have Trump.

I blame the Democratic Party for Trump's victory, and you guys deserve the blame.

Ya, you're right. Speaking as someone who's supported Clinton from the beginning, you're definitely right and I was wrong. Clinton ignored and stomped down the anger and resentment which Sanders tapped into and then lost to that when Trump tapped into it. She failed miserably and it's the fault of everybody who put up with her and didn't demand better.

Yeah exactly. That’s why Obama got in… He sold the whole “change” thing far better that Clinton did.

That's because to anyone who has at least two brain cells to rub together, it was obvious that Clinton wasn't change. She was the candidate of the Status Quo the whole time.
The fucking status quo wasn't that bad. 8 years ago, 500k were losing jobs a month! People voted to keep Muslims out and to rebuild factories in the US.

Hey Man, Canada did our part. We elected a guy way too far on the LEFT while the rest of y'all are voting in right wing nutters.

Trump and Trudeau will be an interesting meeting.

The fucking status quo wasn't that bad. 8 years ago, 500k were losing jobs a month! People voted to keep Muslims out and to rebuild factories in the US.

Trump will bring back manufacturing!*

*For white collar college boys with programming degrees.

Hey Man, Canada did our part. We elected a guy way too far on the LEFT while the rest of y'all are voting in right wing nutters.

Well, I suppose we could still get that Instagram of Trudeau in bed with Ivanka and Melania after Trump tells Trudeau off.

I think that Trudeau will be able to handle him fine. Start talking about the pipeline and Trump will be happy with a win on trade policy.

oh boohoo. Dry your eyes and stop whining.

Here from sweden it looks like US totally lost its mind...

We will get over it.

No, you wont. The world has become a lot scarier now. That you dont realize that you have elected a toddler as preseident really doesnt make feel safer.

Here from sweden it looks like US totally lost its mind...

On behalf of Canada, I would like to join Sweden in issuing an official WTF?

I know we always laugh at Americans and that makes you guys angry, but this sort of thing is the reason that we laugh at Americans. Please use this electoral result as a rationale for another civil war and split into at least three or four smaller countries which can't do quite as much damage.

I figured you'd be drunk from partying about now. You've been carrying on all along about how funny it would be if Trump won.

Hope your spare bedroom is large enough to accommodate 100 million political refugees....

So what? How can US citisens have become so dumb that they select a president on these premises? Anyone voting for Trump is a complete moron. How come that 50% of US are complete morons?

I dont [get] it.
So explore the possible explanations then.

I told you the “so what”. Making reason the premise on which you think you’ll win, or at least not lose to idiots, is itself idiotic.

No it isnt. It is the necessary base of a democratic society.

You can of course ignore that but then you will get the result you got: the bully wins.

And there you go on the road to dictatorship.

So explore the possible explanations then.

I told you the “so what”. Making reason the premise on which you think you’ll win, or at least not lose to idiots, is itself idiotic.

You can of course ignore that but then you will get the result you got: the bully wins.

That's what the people get for buckling one too many times to the compromises of the party rather than tightening their belts, digging their heels in and fighting.

oh boohoo. Dry your eyes and stop whining.

We will get over it.

No, you wont. The world has become a lot scarier now. That you dont realize that you have elected a toddler as preseident really doesnt make feel safer.

Well, there is this:
Cecil Spring Rice said:
You must always remember that the president is about six

On behalf of Canada, I would like to join Sweden in issuing an official WTF?

I know we always laugh at Americans and that makes you guys angry, but this sort of thing is the reason that we laugh at Americans. Please use this electoral result as a rationale for another civil war and split into at least three or four smaller countries which can't do quite as much damage.

I figured you'd be drunk from partying about now. You've been carrying on all along about how funny it would be if Trump won.

Hope your spare bedroom is large enough to accommodate 100 million political refugees....

Well, ya. It was funny when I didn't think he was going to win. It's a lot less funny today.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what the people get for buckling one too many times to the compromises of the party rather than tightening their belts, digging their heels in and fighting.

Says the guy from Pennsylvania who didn't vote.

I said I thought Clinton was in trouble when the FBI started leaking more emails to the public.

Elections are never about policies. If they were the Democrats would have won against Reagan and Bush. No, they are about propaganda and feeding into peoples fears and a show of personalities. Trump, for all of his flaws, has a personality that we've never seen before. People like to shake things up 'just because' even when there's not any real reason to. It's why Gore lost to Bush in 2000 even after Bill Clinton ran the country pretty well. It's why Obama won in 2008 despite not being very qualified for the job at all.

The GOP likes to paint every Democrat as corrupt (which is projection at it's best) and with Clinton, they had someone that the mud would easily stick to. Come on, we all see the credibility issues. The real story is that despite knowing her credibility issues way back, she still got enough voters to win the primary, and that was a price that came back to haunt the Dems.

The DNC will have to learn that putting somebody up there with so much baggage was never a good idea.

Right!! You think that the media was more stacked against Bernie than Trump? The public went for the guy with the more negative coverage.

But what do you mean "voting booths proper"?

The media was more stacked against Sanders than Clinton - they likely would have preferred Sanders to Trump. The biggest issue is that this was a populist movement that the Ds had handed to them on a silver platter, and were unable to recognize that anti-establishmentarianism was the prime motivator in this election. I think there are many voters in this cycle who voted against Clinton who would have voted for Sanders were he the candidate opposing Trump. Let's not forget he had a 15 point lead against Trump.
Trump won the hearts of working class people who saw Clinton as a puppet of wall street. That could be one way of looking at it

The media was more stacked against Sanders than Clinton - they likely would have preferred Sanders to Trump. The biggest issue is that this was a populist movement that the Ds had handed to them on a silver platter, and were unable to recognize that anti-establishmentarianism was the prime motivator in this election. I think there are many voters in this cycle who voted against Clinton who would have voted for Sanders were he the candidate opposing Trump. Let's not forget he had a 15 point lead against Trump.
Trump won the hearts of working class people who saw Clinton as a puppet of wall street. That could be one way of looking at it
That's not much consolation - the smart people know that it's bullshit, and the stupid people don't need consoling yet, because they think they just won.

Back
Top Bottom