• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump - "We think we can cut regulations by 75 percent, maybe more, but by 75 percent"

Have you ever been swindled dismal?

Well, I frequently buy a certain kind of Havarti cheese in the grocery store and since there does not appear to be any USDA rule defining what may and may not be called "Havarti cheese" I could be buying thinly sliced concrete.

I've tasted Havarti, and you could very well be....

- - - Updated - - -

§ 133.108 - Brick cheese.

See? I told you....

But is there a rule defining how much rat droppings is allowed in your cheese? Or mercury?

So, what are you saying?

I'm not saying anything. I'm asking a question.

It seems that some of the discussion here is a strawman about selling cheese made out of cheese versus cheese made out of concrete. The major reason for federal regulations isn't so that consumers don't get screwed buying concrete instead of cheese, it's about food safety. Would you be able to tell the difference between the cheese made with mercury versus cheese made without it? How do market forces work against this kind of thing when the results of having bought unsafe food aren't immediately noticed? Would the companies that sell poisoned food simply go out of business because all their customers get sick at some later stage?

§ 133.108 - Brick cheese.

See? I told you....

But there you see, the big Brick Cheese companies (and their close cousins the big Brick Cheese for Manufacturing companies) have captured the regulators to the point where there is no requirement that Brick Cheese (or Brick Cheese for Manufacturing) contain any actual brick.

It's like how USDA certified Chilean Seabass is not required to be either Chilean or bass.

So, what are you saying?

It seems that some of the discussion here is a strawman about selling cheese made out of cheese versus cheese made out of concrete. The major reason for federal regulations isn't so that consumers don't get screwed buying concrete instead of cheese, it's about food safety. Would you be able to tell the difference between the cheese made with mercury versus cheese made without it? How do market forces work against this kind of thing when the results of having bought unsafe food aren't immediately noticed? Would the companies that sell poisoned food simply go out of business because all their customers get sick at some later stage?

So, I'm asking you: what keeps me safe and swindle-free when I buy Havarti cheese?

So, I'm asking you: what keeps me safe and swindle-free when I buy Havarti cheese?

The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

Later,
ElectEngr

Guys, I hate to admit it, but I think this may be another size envy piece of the pattern. As in, guys we don't really need 75% of the size, Trump says he can do it with just 25%.

See? I told you....

But there you see, the big Brick Cheese companies (and their close cousins the big Brick Cheese for Manufacturing companies) have captured the regulators to the point where there is no requirement that Brick Cheese (or Brick Cheese for Manufacturing) contain any actual brick.

It's like how USDA certified Chilean Seabass is not required to be either Chilean or bass.

This sounds like you are arguing that there should be more regulations regarding ingredients and what gets to be called what.

aa

See? I told you....

That is because Chilean Sea Bass is a marketing term invented by a Mr. Lantz for a fish from the cod family that is most found in arctic waters.

The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

Later,
ElectEngr

Why does that protect me enough when I buy Havarti, but I need additional protection when I buy Gammelost Cheese or Samsoe cheese?

Were those exploding tank pictures earlier from a Gammelost cheese that was not held at 145 degrees for at least 30 minutes?

This sounds like you are arguing that there should be more regulations regarding ingredients and what gets to be called what.

aa

Well, if one starts with the premise a parade of horribles will befall if we don't regulate what can and can't be called Havarti cheese then, yeah.

I've obviously been walking a proverbial high wire without a safety net buying Havarti. Or I should say buying who-knows-what-packaged-as-Havarti from the big Havarti companies.

aa

Well, if one starts with the premise a parade of horribles will befall if we don't regulate what can and can't be called Havarti cheese then, yeah.

I've obviously been walking a proverbial high wire without a safety net buying Havarti. Or I should say buying who-knows-what-packaged-as-Havarti from the big Havarti companies.

I think if you want to buy concrete and eat it and call it the most delicious Havarti you ever had, no one is going to stop you (or if you want to repave your driveway with cheese). The regulation(s) prevent the company selling the concrete from calling it Havarti at the point of sale. As to the other cheese regulations, I imagine those exist to protect the competitive markets of the various producers of cheese moreso than the consumer - apparently havarti producers do not have this concern. Is there any evidence that the additional cheese regulations are causing harm?

aa

That is because Chilean Sea Bass is a marketing term invented by a Mr. Lantz for a fish from the cod family that is most found in arctic waters.
Wait, so it isn't legal for them to vote in Chilean elections then?

Well, I frequently buy a certain kind of Havarti cheese in the grocery store and since there does not appear to be any USDA rule defining what may and may not be called "Havarti cheese" I could be buying thinly sliced concrete.

I've tasted Havarti, and you could very well be....
Havarti is a great melting cheese for grilled sandwiches and for cheese sauces. I wouldn't use it alone, but it is great when incorporated with a great Parmesan or gouda in a cheese sauce or with a swiss in a grilled sandwich.

For more insights into good cooking, please buy my book Jimmy Higgins' World of Good Cooking. MSRP $19.95. :D

So can anyone tell me if dismal is complaining there is too much or too little regulation?

Havarti is a great melting cheese for grilled sandwiches and for cheese sauces. I wouldn't use it alone, but it is great when incorporated with a great Parmesan or gouda in a cheese sauce or with a swiss in a grilled sandwich.

But what is "Havarti cheese"? We can't know.

Not without the federal assurances we get when we buy "Nuworld Cheese" or "Pasteurized process cheese food with fruits, vegetables, or meats".

Not without the federal assurances we get when we buy "Nuworld Cheese" or "Pasteurized process cheese food with fruits, vegetables, or meats".

Perhaps you should take this up with the cheese industry who request these regulations, and pay for them, as was explained to you on page 1 of this thread:
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...5-percent-quot&p=376310&viewfull=1#post376310

Perhaps you should take this up with the cheese industry who request these regulations, and pay for them, as was explained to you on page 1 of this thread:
https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...5-percent-quot&p=376310&viewfull=1#post376310

Now you sound like Trump, saying we don't need all these vital federal cheese regulations.

Now you sound like Trump, saying we don't need all these vital federal cheese regulations.

I neither said, nor implied, that this is the case.

On the other hand, apparently the cheese industry thinks they are needed, as they requested and paid for these regulations. Why do you have a problem with that industry regulating itself in this fashion?

You know who has too many regulations? The National Basketball Association. I mean why does the rim have to be 10 feet high? Or the free throw line 15 feet away? Or why do I have to dribble the ball to move? The NFL doesn't have those requirements, what is the NBA protecting me from? NBA regulatory officials don't even regularly police traveling without dribbling anyway, why should we pay them to sit around doing nothing? I bet we can eliminate 75% of the NBA rules, maybe more than 75%, but 75% and then think how terrific the sport would be.

aa

I neither said, nor implied, that this is the case.

On the other hand, apparently the cheese industry thinks they are needed, as they requested and paid for these regulations. Why do you have a problem with that industry regulating itself in this fashion?

Oh, I'm sorry, should we be equating "needed" with "the cheese industry requested and paid for" when it comes to federal cheese regulation?

You know who has too many regulations? The National Basketball Association. I mean why does the rim have to be 10 feet high? Or the free throw line 15 feet away? Or why do I have to dribble the ball to move? The NFL doesn't have those requirements, what is the NBA protecting me from? NBA regulatory officials don't even regularly police traveling without dribbling anyway, why should we pay them to sit around doing nothing? I bet we can eliminate 75% of the NBA rules, maybe more than 75%, but 75% and then think how terrific the sport would be.

aa

Riiight. You probably should send them a letter.

You accidentally posted that in a thread in which it has absolutely no relevance.

Back
Top Bottom