• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Will Likely Win

Disagree. This isn't a racial issue, this is an socioeconomic issue. And just because there were huge problems in the past doesn't mean they are driving forces now.

How much of that inequality in education is inequality in how much the parents care about education? Because schools are a reflection of the students they get.

Economic opportunity--as it stands being black is an economic advantage assuming equal qualifications.

Biased policing--again, no longer in evidence. How much of it is race vs socioeconomic status? Once again, there recently was a report that supposedly showed biased policing--but it compared traffic stops to camera tickets. That's supposed to prove anything?!

If disparities in education were purely socioeconomic, schools in poorer communities—regardless of racial demographics—would struggle equally due to lack of resources, funding, and parental involvement. Black neighborhoods often have fewer resources even when adjusted for income, which suggests that factors beyond pure socioeconomic status, like racial segregation and funding disparities, play a role.

But is this a lack of funding or a matter of funding going to purposes other than buildings? Because the "poor" schools tend to get as much money, but more of it goes to other purposes. The article doesn't address that at all, but note the picture with the metal detector sign. Money that goes to pay the people that operate it and all the other associated costs (no point in a metal detector if it's easy to go around it, yet you need to allow them to escape in case of fire) is money that doesn't go to education.

I'm sure you've seen the expression "this is why we can't have nice things". It's a big problem with poor areas. And your article says absolutely nothing in support of the assertion that black neighborhoods have fewer resources even with equal income levels. It's just about inner city schools not being able to spend as much on buildings. And note that they are comparing it to a charter school district. The ability to kick out the underperformers and other problems makes a huge difference to how a school will fare.

I suppose there are many true anecdotes where a white man has been passed over to hire a black man due to policies like AA.

And ...
You're missing those of us who think the proposed solutions are painting over the rust and won't actually fix anything. The need to do something drives an awful lot of wasteful behavior. Pay attention to whether that something will actually help and if you do it monitor how you're doing. Don't just assume that because the intent is to help that it's useful and that those who oppose it want the problem to persist.
... I won't dispute anything Loren writes here.

BUT racial prejudice and systemic discrimination still exist. The idea that white men generally have less opportunity than black men in today's America is quite ignorant, and itself racial prejudice.

I am not a cis white male but I sure am related to a whole lot of them and AFAIK none of them feel attacked as oppressors. I think that's a bit of propaganda ginned up to sew division. I will concede that there is a small portion of cis white males who feel oppressed because they are no longer in the front of the line for all good things as they have been for many many many generations. For some of them that feels like oppression.
Don't feel attacked as oppressors??? I see plenty of such attacks--and people resent it because they feel accused of a crime they didn't commit.
Receipts please. I am quite white, quite male. In school (elementary, high school, college) I never felt attacked. At work, never felt attacked.

Where is this occurring?
Just look around--I'm talking about the world at large, not personal situations.
I'm being polite, you made a broad claim, I asked for specifics because I have NOT observed that to be true in my lifetime... like ever. My daughter goes to a mixed race school and hasn't come home crying about how she was shamed for Dred Scot. I don't see it in the workplace, I don't see it where I live.

So please, humor me, and provide a few receipts that justify you stating: Don't feel attacked as oppressors??? I see plenty of such attacks--
But still: I have family members I love a great deal who are 'stuck' in not great jobs. But I also know that a big part of their 'stuckness' is because they are very risk averse and also introverted --so extra risk averse and just struggle with not getting what they reach for. OTOH, I think I turned in 40+ applications to the place where I retired from before I was hired. What is the difference between them and me? Not a college degree. Almost certainly that I am extremely stubborn and very very very determined to get my foot in the door--which I eventually did by temping for the place I wanted to work at. I wanted that particular employer because I knew it would pay more than any other place within driving distance--and that driving distance was an hour on good roads (i.e. not winter). I know people who refused to apply there because they didn't want to make that drive nor did they want to move closer. Cis white males, every single one. Does that actually mean anything? Probably not. But maybe it does.
You realize a lot of what you are describing can also be explained by a lack of confidence that they can land on their feet. And that their evaluation might be correct. The willingness to take a chance doesn't exist in isolation, but it's related to how bad things would be if they take the chance and fail.
The willingness of risk is very real. Think of it like gambling. It is a lot easier to risk losing money in gambling when you plenty of it at the start.
But this isn't a matter of only risking a little money. For most people it's risking a lot. The issue comes down to what you will do if you don't get what you're after. Plenty of other options, fine, you try for the best one. Few options, you're more likely to stick with the option you have because a failure to get what you wanted is more likely to leave you with no options at hand.
One day, I wish you'd be able to look at some of these decisions from the perspective of a person in poverty. Because you are never going to understand until you can honestly see it in their point-of-view, particularly regarding access to money, food, shelter, etc... as well as the other issues of access to opportunities and knowing the paths that may be available. Life isn't a spreadsheet.

Regarding criminal justice, it’s true that Black communities see disproportionately higher crime rates, but that statistic alone doesn’t tell the full story. We can’t ignore the role systemic factors—like poverty, over-policing, and lack of opportunity—play in increasing the disparities. It’s not that Black people inherently commit more crime, but their circumstances often increase the likelihood of interaction with the justice system. Tackling the root causes of this issue—inequality in education, economic opportunities, and biased policing—is key to finding solutions. And let’s not forget how slavery disrupted the Black family structure in ways we’re still recovering from today. Generations had their identities, families, and even language stripped away. Our community is still finding its footing after that unique experience, much like America’s democracy has gone through growing pains and still seeks stability today. One clue lies in the fact that many of us still discipline our children primarily through violence.
Disagree. This isn't a racial issue, this is an socioeconomic issue. And just because there were huge problems in the past doesn't mean they are driving forces now.

How much of that inequality in education is inequality in how much the parents care about education? Because schools are a reflection of the students they get.

Economic opportunity--as it stands being black is an economic advantage assuming equal qualifications.

Biased policing--again, no longer in evidence. How much of it is race vs socioeconomic status? Once again, there recently was a report that supposedly showed biased policing--but it compared traffic stops to camera tickets. That's supposed to prove anything?!

I agree that we shouldn't assume conditions today are the same as they were decades ago. However, systemic barriers don’t disappear overnight. While we’ve made progress, the lingering effects of past discrimination—in housing, employment, and education—are still felt today. Disparities persist not only because of history but also because current systems continue to subtly perpetuate inequality. And no, I absolutely do not believe things are as bad as there were in the "good ole days" /s.
Lingering effects, yes. That doesn't make the current situation discrimination and doesn't mean anti-discrimination efforts will accomplish anything.

40 years ago my father was in an accident caused by red light runner. The woman's child was unrestrained and broke their arm as a result. Should the ER doctor prescribe a seat belt for his injury??

I personally recognize that we, the Black community, have come a long way in our contributions and relationships with other communities. We’re not there yet. And while I don’t speak for everyone, hypothetically, I ask that other communities continue to show patience. The trauma from centuries of slavery in America is still passed down through our families. It shows in the way we discipline our children, the way some of us still talk down to one another, the doubts we harbor about our own worth. Peer pressure, too, plays a role—when you’re told you're ‘playing into the oppressor’s hands’ by cooperating with authority, it creates internal conflict. These behaviors and mentalities are still very much alive in parts of our community today.
I'm not in the community to see it but that's been my understanding. The very path to get out of the situation is rejected as acting white. We can't fix that, you have to.

We should not generalize of course, but the activists fighting for things like perpetual racial preferences or for reparations by race definitely want more than just "fight treatment under the law". I support that part, but reject the special treatment.
I agree with you that we shouldn’t generalize, but I’d argue that most people advocating for reparations or racial preferences aren’t looking to punish white Americans. They’re seeking redress for historical wrongs and trying to level a playing field that remains skewed, in their view. I tend to agree with this because it seems America has done more for other historical wrongs than it has for its treatment of Black Americans. There’s certainly debate about the best way to achieve fairness, and while I agree racial preferences are no longer the ideal solution, it’s important to recognize that real activists are attempting to address imbalance, not seek retribution.
The problem is that it's impossible to fix past imbalances unless you have a time machine. All you can do is fix things going forward and that is not accomplished by putting your thumb on the scale until things are "equal".

And I think a lot of it is driven by agitators who maintain their position by being unreasonable. (I am not singling out the black community here--plenty of such people elsewhere. Think of people like Rush Limbaugh.)

Equity, on the other hand does. Equity says, wait, there are too few blacks in med school. We should give black applicants a preference in admissions so we have more black doctors. The correct approach would be to identify why black students are lagging behind and help them perform better, which starts before formal schooling begins frankly. But giving a preference based on race is easier and quicker, even if it does nothing about the underlying problem. In fact, it may make it worse. Why apply yourself in undergrad if you know your race will help you get in with relatively mediocre grades and scores?
You raise a great point in distinguishing between equality and equity. Equity recognizes that some groups, due to historical and systemic barriers, may need more support to truly have a fair shot. You’re right that the focus should be on improving education and building better pathways to success. However, racial preferences were never meant to create a shortcut but rather to address the unfair disadvantages that Black students from less privileged backgrounds often face. Moving forward, I think we should tackle the root problems—like early childhood education and access to resources—while ensuring no citizen is negatively impacted in the process (like what some applying affirmative action have done some cases).
The problem is you can't address the unfair disadvantages by decreeing them equal. As such, AA was a very bad idea. It should have happened anyway, though, because it had another means of action: It broke the culture of it being bad for an organization to have blacks in anything but lesser roles. That made a huge difference, but that was done long ago. Continuing to do a completed job doesn't help anything.

But note that "early childhood education" isn't really the problem, but a symptom of the problem. The kids are falling behind at home before they ever reach the educational system. People are always looking for fixes that can be handed to them. Don't have kids until you've completed your education and are in a stable married or married-like relationship.
Do you know what triage is? It's where problems are evaluated and ranked from those needing the most attention to those needing the least attention, and further ranked by immediacy.

Addressing issues of racial disparity de jure and de facto absolutely do start wtih changing behavior: The ER doctor would have been remiss not to have had a discussion about seat belt usage. Which does not rewind time but presumably, the child's arm was x-rayed, the bone(s) set, the arm casted and follow ups to ensure proper healing were carried out and in due time, the cast was removed.

Think of repairing or healing racial disparities and discrimination in much the same way:
1. Address the immediate need by investigating the injury, and evaluating the severity of the injury and formulating a treatment plan. This would include ordering x-rays, surgery if necessary.

Individuals, and communities can be in crisis with regards to needing safe housing, adequate food, effective health care and treatment for acute and chronic conditions, including physical and mental health issues. Appropriate resources need to be deployed in order to help the individuals and communities to recover from the most immediate harms.

2. Do a comprehensive exam to see if there are other, more subtle but potentially serious injuries that are not immediately obvious but only are discovered by thorough examination. Sometimes, a serious, even life threatening injury is present but is not noticed in the face of a more obvious injury.

What are the underlying causes of the crisis or injuries present individuals and communities? Are resources being adequately supplied and utilized? Are all members able to access needed education, jobs training, employment, health care, safety in their homes? Do they have access to counseling regarding substance abuse, and other issues?

What are the obstacles that individuals and communities face in obtaining these necessities? Address those and understand that the root causes may not be obvious and may be complex and require a great deal of thought, time, effort and understanding to help resolve.

3. Address all injuries in a comprehensive way, both the obvious injuries and the potentially more serious systemic injuries that are not as obvious but are potentially serious enough to cause future disability, require a prolonged recovery time and perhaps are even life threatening.

To what extent is 'tradition' or bigotry or racism a factor in the issues faced by individuals and communities? To what degree is bigotry based upon perceived class differences an issue?

4. Assess overall health. Fixing a broken arm is great but it won't fix malnutrition, abuse, neglect, asthma, pneumonia or other infection or other symptoms of disease or neglect. A patient who is in a safe environment with adequate housing, food, water, education, health care (physical and mental), up to date on all vaccinations, etc. will likely heal better.

An individual or community which receives adequate resources is in better shape to heal and address needs and to prevent future crisis and injuries.

5. The patient/parents of the patient will need further education regarding signs and symptoms of inadequate healing, care of wound and prevention of future injuries.

4. Address root causes: Were adequate safety measures taken? Why not? What support or further education is needed?

In the case of individuals and communities who are facing bigotry and racism, then those are root causes which must be addressed--by the individuals, communities, structures which exhibit racism and bigotry, consciously or unconsciously.

Obviously only a cursory overview.

Right now Harris continues to lead the national popular vote, but it does not look particularly good for her in the EC. It’s quite possible that for the third time in 24 years, a Republican (now MAGGAT) will lose the popular vote but be awarded the presidency on the basis of an inane, non-democratic institution cobbled together 248 years ago by slave-holding white supremacists. Wonderful. And the ironic part is that the EC was intended, at least in part, to keep demagogues, rabble-rousers and psychopaths from being president.

While a Harris victory would be a positive step forward, the deeper divisions remain. Those who align with Trump’s values won’t simply vanish on inauguration day—they’ll still hold seats in the House, the Senate, and on the Supreme Court, and will continue to influence state and federal elections. Not assuming you don’t know this—just playing Captain Obvious.
You're right, it would be a step forward, and this time it would almost certainly vanquish Trump from our political conversation... maybe. That's what I thought in 2020 so clearly I don't know wtf I'm talking about. With that in mind...

A Harris win will likely result in something akin to The Troubles in the UK. The extreme right has been emboldened, poisoned by ridiculous conspiracy theories, and therefore they'll act accordingly. While there will be no one to replace the Yam, his most violent and ardent supporters will perceive themselves as heroes aspiring to martyrdom. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them engage in suicide bombings and other acts of terrorism.

If disparities in education were purely socioeconomic, schools in poorer communities—regardless of racial demographics—would struggle equally due to lack of resources, funding, and parental involvement. Black neighborhoods often have fewer resources even when adjusted for income, which suggests that factors beyond pure socioeconomic status, like racial segregation and funding disparities, play a role.

But is this a lack of funding or a matter of funding going to purposes other than buildings? Because the "poor" schools tend to get as much money, but more of it goes to other purposes. The article doesn't address that at all, but note the picture with the metal detector sign. Money that goes to pay the people that operate it and all the other associated costs (no point in a metal detector if it's easy to go around it, yet you need to allow them to escape in case of fire) is money that doesn't go to education.

I'm sure you've seen the expression "this is why we can't have nice things". It's a big problem with poor areas. And your article says absolutely nothing in support of the assertion that black neighborhoods have fewer resources even with equal income levels. It's just about inner city schools not being able to spend as much on buildings. And note that they are comparing it to a charter school district. The ability to kick out the underperformers and other problems makes a huge difference to how a school will fare.

The issue lies in the amount of money available, not simply in how it’s allocated. While the article does compare a majority-Black public school district (DeKalb) with a wealthier, majority-White charter district (Decatur), this is to show the funding disparities even between nearby districts. The comparison highlights how funding based on local income and property values perpetuates inequalities, emphasizing that resource differences often stem from systemic biases and funding structures, not merely school type.

Additionally, the article shows that majority-Black districts with similar or even greater needs receive far less in capital investment due to these funding structures, which disproportionately benefit wealthier—and often whiter—areas.

What’s wild is that I’m not even advocating for anything special for Black people—I’m just sharing my perspective on the state of our communities, making it clear it’s not about seeking retribution against hardworking white Americans. It’s frustrating to discuss how messed up things are and then feel the need to defend this information when, honestly, I wish these issues didn’t exist at all. I’d be thrilled to say, 'Loren, you’re right,' and live in a world where everything really is great.

Colonel Sanders said:
It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them engage in suicide bombings and other acts of terrorism.
It would surprise me greatly if no such acts occurred following Cheato’s loss, though some might be forestalled by his promise to overturn the election and not allow “another Steal”. But if it comes to Inauguration Day and the following weeks or months, it’s inevitable.
My reaction is ‘so what?’ Any body count short of seven figures is less than the mayhem Trump wrought during his last debacle.

BUT racial prejudice and systemic discrimination still exist. The idea that white men generally have less opportunity than black men in today's America is quite ignorant, and itself racial prejudice.
The part you don't seem to understand is that is the black man's fault. All the white guys I talk to who have been mistreated tell me that so it must be true.

[Rant]

I'm not sure if this matters, but I do agree that white privilege exists. That said, I don't believe every white person benefits from it equally. It's like when my best friend Justin told me, 'Bruh, you’ve got soul! Why don’t you get out there and dance with the ladies? I always end up embarrassing myself.' Sure, I might have soul, but that doesn’t mean I’ve got game. In the end, after killing it on the floor, I walked out just as girlfriendless as he did. Privilege, like rhythm, doesn't guarantee success, but it does give you an advantage you didn't necessarily earn. You can capitalize on it, build upon it, but it was there from the start without any effort on your part.

Considering how the U.S. government (both state and federal) treated Black people under the law in the so-called 'good old days' that Trump idealizes, you can count yourself privileged for not having to experience America through the lens of its history, where people who looked like you were once lawfully mistreated in ways no one should endure. Meanwhile, we still deal with the lingering effects of that legacy, particularly within law enforcement, and as a community, were we're often expected to be held accountable for the actions of others who simply share our skin color—while the white community have the privilege to dismiss their own as 'white trash' and walk away.
There unquestionably was a major issue of white privilege. The question is whether it's still an important factor.

Obviously, I don’t feel obligated to help someone just because they’re Black anymore. I used to think that way—society gave me that impression. The statistics say I’m supposed to end up doing this or that, so I felt I had to take action to keep those numbers from being used against me. But in the end, that didn’t change much. Our community is still dealing with generational trauma that white people have the privilege to ignore, while they shift the blame onto us, as if centuries of pain suddenly vanished on June 19, 1865. :rolleyes:
But "generational trauma" is not discrimination and it is not white privilege. And trauma can't be fixed by throwing money at it.
You can't fix roads and bridges by just throwing money at transportation!?!
FTFY

When Reagan made a huge cut to the tax rate it didn't result in a big change to tax revenue because the same change removed a whole bunch of those loopholes. Very few people were actually paying the old rates. (Note that the numbers from the time aren't meaningful--most of the issues were things that kept money from showing up as income in the first place.)
Good thing those loopholes were removed.

If that sounds impossible to achieve, just look at the leaked tax returns of the wealthiest Americans that nonprofit news site ProPublica analyzed in 2021: Over several years, billionaires Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Michael Bloomberg, among others, paid no federal income taxes at all.
Oops!

Bruh, you know how I feel about you right?
View attachment 48265
seinfeld-frank-costanza.gif

Derec, jokes aside, I appreciate your engagement. The issue of privilege is nuanced, and I think it’s important to recognize that affirmative action and similar programs were designed to correct longstanding imbalances.
But they were something that at most could affect the symptoms (different outcomes), not the underlying causes. And as AA became more entrenched, the more the underlying causes got ignored. And now we have >60 years of AA and huge resistance to doing away with it.
These programs provided minorities with access to institutions they were historically excluded from, but this doesn't erase other systemic barriers they face outside education—like historical bias in the workforce & housing.
Original AA executive order did that, but what AA came to mean in the decades since has been to give members of certain groups access at terms better than the access given to others. That not only does not fix the underlying causes, it breeds resentment. I think it is a not negligible part of why the Democratic Party, which clings to racial preferences for dear life, is not more popular than it is.
Instead of lifting black achievement up gradually, AA sets a lower bar for blacks and Latinos. That is fundamentally the wrong approach. At most it should have been a very temporary band aid, and not something that had become a fixture of our education system for over half a century.
While privilege in this context often gets reduced to a single area like education, it’s really about the broader impact race has across multiple aspects of life.
I think it mostly gets discussed in terms of education because it is easiest to analyze in that setting, and because 18 year olds entering college are clearly not at fault for what happened decades or centuries before. So why should they be punished?
Regarding criminal justice, it’s true that Black communities see disproportionately higher crime rates, but that statistic alone doesn’t tell the full story. We can’t ignore the role systemic factors—like poverty, over-policing, and lack of opportunity—play in increasing the disparities.
Many people lack opportunities. It is not an excuse to steal, rob or murder. And what is your solution? The "soft on crime" approach in evidence in many lefty jurisdictions like LA does not work. If retail theft is high because the DA won't prosecute shoplifters, it is people in the neighborhood who suffer when stores shut down because they can't make a profit. If burglaries are up, it is the people in affected neighborhoods that suffer. If teenagers steel cars and get released to their parents over and over again instead of being locked up, hard-working people that need their cars to get to work suffer.
I agree that we should address underlying causes of crime as well, but not at the expense of not prosecuting criminals and incarcerating them if appropriate.
We also need to rethink what should be illegal. I support legalizing weed nationwide. Same with consensual sex-work.
But if you steal, if you are drunk and disorderly, if you literally break windows, that should not be tolerated even if they are relatively low-level crimes.
At the same time, I reject this idea that low-level crimes, or quality-of-life crimes should not be policed at all. That police should not make most traffic stops as is now the rule in many lefty cities. That's swinging too far in the other direction.
It’s not that Black people inherently commit more crime, but their circumstances often increase the likelihood of interaction with the justice system.
Not inherently, but they do commit more crimes. It's not just more interactions because where they live. The black homicide rate is not 5x that of whites because blacks get caught more.
Tackling the root causes of this issue—inequality in education, economic opportunities, and biased policing—is key to finding solutions. And let’s not forget how slavery disrupted the Black family structure in ways we’re still recovering from today.
Slavery in the US ended in the 1860s, a long time ago. While horrible, many peoples had it rough around that time too. Irish occupied by the British, Indians under the British Raj, South Slavs driving out the Ottoman Turk occupiers out of the Balkans, Chinese suffering under the Opium Wars. You guys are not the only ones who suffered.

I agree that we shouldn't assume conditions today are the same as they were decades ago. However, systemic barriers don’t disappear overnight. While we’ve made progress, the lingering effects of past discrimination—in housing, employment, and education—are still felt today. Disparities persist not only because of history but also because current systems continue to subtly perpetuate inequality.
But the solution is not to give preference to certain people and disadvantages to other people because of the color of their skin or the language they speak or their ancestors spoke.
I think that is counterproductive - it perpetuates "the soft bigotry of low expectations". Ask yourself: why is all this so slow to change? Could it be that the US took a wrong turn at Albuquerque in the 60s? That preferential treatment, from access to education/employment/city contracts to more informal things like what language or hair styles are appropriate for people based on what race they are, is contributing to these effects lingering?
Let's talk about the wealth disparity. Is it due to past discrimination making it less likely black great-grandparents and grandparents could leave assets to their offspring? Partly. Is it due to blacks on average earning less money? Partly. But it is also partly a question of culture that values conspicuous consumption from fancy sneakers to luxury cars over things like investing.
Not exactly the most recent data, but I have found this:
Wharton said:
To examine spending by racial groups, Roussanov and his colleagues studied data collected from 1986 to 2002 for the Consumer Expenditure Survey conducted by the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics. Blacks and Hispanics spend up to 30% more than whites of comparable income on visible goods like clothing, cars and jewelry, the researchers found. This meant that, compared to white households of similar income, the typical black and Hispanic household spent $2,300 more per year on visible items. To do that, they spent less on almost all other categories except housing, and they saved less.
Conspicuous Consumption and Race: Who Spends More on What
It is also consistent with what I have observed living in Atlanta.

This emphasis on flash in the black culture hampers their ability to build generational wealth. Even if two people make a good six figure salary, one can build wealth and the other can live paycheck to paycheck. Today I think this plays a lot bigger role than what happened 80 years ago.
And no, I absolutely do not believe things are as bad as there were in the "good ole days" /s.

I am not the one who thinks "old days" were 100% better, but I do not fetishize change for the sake of change either. I think some things were indeed better in the 80s and 90s - don't remember stuff before then. I think our society was more free in many ways, but that is for another thread perhaps.
the doubts we harbor about our own worth.
That last thing is made worse by the larger society holding to lower standards though.
I think the solution for more black doctors is not to lower standards for black applicants but for more blacks to meet the same standards we expect from whites and Asians applying to med schools.
Peer pressure, too, plays a role—when you’re told you're ‘playing into the oppressor’s hands’ by cooperating with authority, it creates internal conflict. These behaviors and mentalities are still very much alive in parts of our community today.
You also have to realize that changing your culture to, for example, not see authorities such as police as the enemy, has to come from within the community. That attitude is harming blacks as they are most of the victims of black criminals.
I agree with you that we shouldn’t generalize, but I’d argue that most people advocating for reparations or racial preferences aren’t looking to punish white Americans. They’re seeking redress for historical wrongs and trying to level a playing field that remains skewed, in their view.
You say they do not look to do it, but that is what these policies are. It is skewing the playing field now because it was skewed the other way in the past. But the young people today weren't the oppressors. They weren't the oppressed. In many cases, they are not even the descendants of those who were. The son of Nigerian immigrants and the daughter of Russian immigrants have zero to do with American slavery or with Jim Crow one way or the other, and yet they are caught up in the perverse game of institutions such as universities effectively assigning collective victimhood and guilt through racial preferences.
I tend to agree with this because it seems America has done more for other historical wrongs than it has for its treatment of Black Americans. There’s certainly debate about the best way to achieve fairness, and while I agree racial preferences are no longer the ideal solution, it’s important to recognize that real activists are attempting to address imbalance, not seek retribution.
How do you define "real activists". And what do you mean by "balance"? Equal outcomes?
Take the wealth example above. Should it really be the role of government to "balance" wealth by race even if there are differences, on average, how blacks and whites choose to spend their money? Or take criminal justice. Should incarceration rates be "balanced" regardless of actual crime rates?
Unfortunately race activists see injustice and "racism" in any disparate outcome that does not favor blacks. More blacks in prison? Racism. More Asians in med school? Racism. 90% of NBA is black? No problem. They never want to balance where they are ahead.

You raise a great point in distinguishing between equality and equity. Equity recognizes that some groups, due to historical and systemic barriers, may need more support to truly have a fair shot. You’re right that the focus should be on improving education and building better pathways to success. However, racial preferences were never meant to create a shortcut but rather to address the unfair disadvantages that Black students from less privileged backgrounds often face.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
So let's assume their intentions were not to create a shortcut. Fine, but that's what AA did. That's all giving preferences could do. And that became the dominant paradigm for the last 60 years. It's also a crude instrumernt. The son of a black Coca Cola vice president gets access to the shortcut. The daughter of a white West Virginia coal miner does not, and neither does the son of a Korean shopkeeper in Los Angeles.
Moving forward, I think we should tackle the root problems—like early childhood education and access to resources—while ensuring no citizen is negatively impacted in the process (like what some applying affirmative action have done some cases).
Agreed.

Last edited:
I am not a cis white male but I sure am related to a whole lot of them and AFAIK none of them feel attacked as oppressors.
I guess you have not been to college in a while.
I think that's a bit of propaganda ginned up to sew division. I will concede that there is a small portion of cis white males who feel oppressed because they are no longer in the front of the line for all good things as they have been for many many many generations.
You keep saying that, and you ignore all instances where white men are discriminated against and viewed as "oppressors" merely for being white and male.
Virginia college says white men and heterosexuals are ‘oppressors’
What's worst, even after being beneficiaries of racial preferences, blacks in academia often view themselves as superior and white men as "mediocre". Imagine the outcry if a white male author dared write a book in which he called black women "mediocre".
So for people like that and I will include a lot of working class white people who struggle to get ahead, seeing programs designed specifically to help non-whites and non-males, who until very recently were always at the back of the line for jobs, nice neighborhoods, mortgages, etc. like they are the ones facing discrimination.
It is discrimination on the face of it. These programs should not be restricted by race and gender. Turnaround is not fair play when it affects different individuals who only share genitalia and skin color with people who had the advantages in the past.
The bolded is my main frustration with leftist racial politics. It's all about groups and individuals do not matter. So punishing present day whites because whites in the past had it better is viewed as "social justice" when in fact it is injustice.

You do it in the passage I quoted. "Who until very recently" implies they are the same people, but they are not. They are different people who only share race and gender with each other.

Last edited:
MI Muslims are unlikely to tank Harris.
I do not see how you can be so certain about it.
‘They will vote against Harris’: Arab Americans in Michigan desert Democrats over Gaza
And there are certainly more than enough of them in MI to swing a very close election.
And yes, the headline says "Arab" but there are also non-Arab Muslims in MI (Hamtramckabad is, according to Grauniad 60% Muslim and 40% of Middle Eastern and Maghreb heritage) and non-Muslim Arabs can also be concerned about Gaza and Lebanon.
Do you know anything about the history of Dearborn or Hamtramack or Michigan? Especially with respect to Muslims and Arabs?
I know there are a lot of them there. Hamtramckabad's city council is all-Muslim, so the colonization of that city is complete.
‘A sense of betrayal’: liberal dismay as Muslim-led US city bans Pride flags
Liberals always dismay after they join forces with Islamists and get burned. :rolleyesa:

In any case, while the history of how Dearbornistan and Hamtramckabad became Islamist colonies is no doubt interesting, it is irrelevant to my point that there is more than enough Muslim and Arab vote in MI to swing a very close election to Trump.

MI Muslims are unlikely to tank Harris.
I do not see how you can be so certain about it.
‘They will vote against Harris’: Arab Americans in Michigan desert Democrats over Gaza
And there are certainly more than enough of them in MI to swing a very close election.
And yes, the headline says "Arab" but there are also non-Arab Muslims in MI (Hamtramckabad is, according to Grauniad 60% Muslim and 40% of Middle Eastern and Maghreb heritage) and non-Muslim Arabs can also be concerned about Gaza and Lebanon.
Do you know anything about the history of Dearborn or Hamtramack or Michigan? Especially with respect to Muslims and Arabs?
I know there are a lot of them there. Hamtramckabad's city council is all-Muslim, so the colonization of that city is complete.
‘A sense of betrayal’: liberal dismay as Muslim-led US city bans Pride flags
Liberals always dismay after they join forces with Islamists and get burned. :rolleyesa:

In any case, while the history of how Dearbornistan and Hamtramckabad became Islamist colonies is no doubt interesting, it is irrelevant to my point that there is more than enough Muslim and Arab vote in MI to swing a very close election to Trump.
What I like about you Derec, is that you never allow facts to interfere with your opinions.

I am not a cis white male but I sure am related to a whole lot of them and AFAIK none of them feel attacked as oppressors.
I guess you have not been to college in a while.
I think that's a bit of propaganda ginned up to sew division. I will concede that there is a small portion of cis white males who feel oppressed because they are no longer in the front of the line for all good things as they have been for many many many generations.
You keep saying that, and you ignore all instances where white men are discriminated against and viewed as "oppressors" merely for being white and male.
Virginia college says white men and heterosexuals are ‘oppressors’
What's worst, even after being beneficiaries of racial preferences, blacks in academia often view themselves as superior and white men as "mediocre". Imagine the outcry if a white male author dared write a book in which he called black women "mediocre".
So for people like that and I will include a lot of working class white people who struggle to get ahead, seeing programs designed specifically to help non-whites and non-males, who until very recently were always at the back of the line for jobs, nice neighborhoods, mortgages, etc. like they are the ones facing discrimination.
It is discrimination on the face of it. These programs should not be restricted by race and gender. Turnaround is not fair play when it affects different individuals who only share genitalia and skin color with people who had the advantages in the past.
The bolded is my main frustration with leftist racial politics. It's all about groups and individuals do not matter. So punishing present day whites because whites in the past had it better is viewed as "social justice" when in fact it is injustice.

You do it in the passage I quoted. "Who until very recently" implies they are the same people, but they are not. They are different people who only share race and gender with each other.
I actually live 3 blocks from the university where I earned my degree, and where my husband still teaches. Most of my neighbors are either professors or students or former profs. I’m almost certain I earned my degree after you earned yours.

What I like about you Derec, is that you never allow facts to interfere with your opinions.
And what I dislike about you, Toni, is that you never pass up the opportunity to make cheap insults whenever you run out of facts and arguments.

Why exactly do you deny that Michigan Muslims and/or Arabs could tip the state to Trump?

I actually live 3 blocks from the university where I earned my degree, and where my husband still teaches.
I wonder which university that is.
Not all universities are alike, of course. Do you have a comment about the article on James Madison University in Virginia?
I’m almost certain I earned my degree after you earned yours.
Possible, even though I thought you were a bit older than me.

Can you provide a citation for the bolded? Because the poorly conceived CBS article you linked to below certainly does no such thing. Take the example of DC. It has very high spending per student, and most students in that system are black, just as an example.

Disclaimer: I live in DeKalb County, Ga.
This article compares one aspect of spending - on school buildings. It does not compare overall spending. It also compares DeKalb County with City of Decatur, which are separate districts. A better comparison would be to compare spending in the more white northern part of the county with spending in the more black south. Note also that school districts are democratically controlled. DeKalb County Board of Education is responsible for allocating funding, and it is majority black. It is also almost all female.

Note also that the Druid Hills High School is quite mixed/diverse in student body in central part of the county (in fact, it is located just south of Emory University). It is 42% black, 31% white. But it is an old building, which might explain the issues that it has been facing.

Speaking of DeKalb County Schools, I would be more concerned about quality of teachers. Some are infamous beyond county lines. Cough, cough, Mrs. Nash.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them engage in suicide bombings and other acts of terrorism.
The Muslims are mostly on the Democratic side of the aisle, even if many of them are quite cross with the Democratic Party over Gaza.

Also, should Trump win, I see some on the Left also resorting to violence. Remember the 2020 riots?

Back
Top Bottom