• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Will Likely Win

The issue lies in the amount of money available, not simply in how it’s allocated. While the article does compare a majority-Black public school district (DeKalb) with a wealthier, majority-White charter district (Decatur), this is to show the funding disparities even between nearby districts. The comparison highlights how funding based on local income and property values perpetuates inequalities, emphasizing that resource differences often stem from systemic biases and funding structures, not merely school type.

Additionally, the article shows that majority-Black districts with similar or even greater needs receive far less in capital investment due to these funding structures, which disproportionately benefit wealthier—and often whiter—areas.

What’s wild is that I’m not even advocating for anything special for Black people—I’m just sharing my perspective on the state of our communities, making it clear it’s not about seeking retribution against hardworking white Americans. It’s frustrating to discuss how messed up things are and then feel the need to defend this information when, honestly, I wish these issues didn’t exist at all. I’d be thrilled to say, 'Loren, you’re right,' and live in a world where everything really is great.
You completely missed the point. The article shows nothing about overall funding levels. It shows only building maintenance funding levels.

When Reagan made a huge cut to the tax rate it didn't result in a big change to tax revenue because the same change removed a whole bunch of those loopholes. Very few people were actually paying the old rates. (Note that the numbers from the time aren't meaningful--most of the issues were things that kept money from showing up as income in the first place.)
Good thing those loopholes were removed.

If that sounds impossible to achieve, just look at the leaked tax returns of the wealthiest Americans that nonprofit news site ProPublica analyzed in 2021: Over several years, billionaires Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Michael Bloomberg, among others, paid no federal income taxes at all.
Oops!

The live on borrowing keeps being presented--over the long run the interest exceeds the tax savings. People do it because they feel they can make more in the market than the cost of the money.

Turnaround is not fair play when it affects different individuals who only share genitalia and skin color with people who had the advantages in the past.
This is the heart of the problem. All such programs do not help those who were harmed.

This is the third time that tRump has screwed up a rally!
How many times do his minions need to be treated like this before they see what bumbling fool he really is.
At least it's not like before when he didn't pay for the buses:

(2) 3.4% is a low net tax rate, because unrealized gains are NOT taxed. However, as previous threads have pointed out, billionaires can often "realize" their unrealized gains by simply borrowing from banks and using the shares as collateral. IOW, Musk can SPEND many billions tax-free, by simply letting his estate, upon his death, give his Tesla stock to the lenders.
The issue is what is the rate paid over time--and the reality is when people like Musk and Bezos do it they actually end up paying more, but to the lenders rather than to the IRS. It's about the time value of money, not about avoiding taxes.

But I also think Democratic Party has lurched too far left in recent years, that immigration should be well-regulated and subject to limits, that confiscatory taxes are wrong, and that so-called "assault weapons" should not be banned. That gets me labeled "conservative", or even worse, 'trumpsucker" on here. :rolleyesa: :banghead:
I don't see a lurch to the left. I see demonizing.

Immigration? The Felon torpedoed any attempt to fix things. Doing anything they can to make Biden look bad is about all the QOP is doing these days. And it's a problem with no good solution, anyway.

Confiscatory taxes? Where are they trying to do that? Not some hotheads, any major position.

"Assault weapons"--agreed. It's a camel's nose, the left's equivalent to what the right keeps trying to do with abortion.

You get labeled "trumpsucker" because you keep spouting a lot of the GOP deceptions. Your recent posts have shown you haven't fully bought into his garbage, though.

I substantially distrust pages with that much animation etc. Thus I'm going to start by looking at what it doesn't say.

In this case, they claim funding is locally determined, but present no evidence that it's not a state level thing. Think of all the horrible schools in the deep south.

If that sounds impossible to achieve, just look at the leaked tax returns of the wealthiest Americans that nonprofit news site ProPublica analyzed in 2021: Over several years, billionaires Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Michael Bloomberg, among others, paid no federal income taxes at all.
But in other years, they paid billions in tax.
Evidence not included. And that's supposed to relieve the years they didn't?

Do you want to pay less taxes? Great. Step one, be a rich person. Then, buy a yacht. Or a sports team. Give a lot to charity. Lose some money in the stock market. Above all, make sure most of your money exists in the form of assets, not cash — stocks, real estate, a Dutch master painting, fine jewelry, or whatever else strikes your fancy.
A small-time investor can also deduct stock market losses or real estate expenses from their capital gains taxes.
As far as yachts and such, there may be tax breaks associated with them, but I can see a legitimate business purpose. You are not taking a 100' superyacht for a family vacation or a fishing trip with the buddies. You are using them for business cocktail parties. Schmoozing potential investors and clients. That sort of thing.
Note also that they cost quite a bit of money. The tax savings are going to be but a small fraction of the total cost of ownership. And that cost is spent in the economy. The yacht must be built - requiring engineers, designers and workers, and it must be run, providing additional employment from mechanics to cocktail waitresses. Note that expenditures such as repairs or docking and even the food and beverages (high excise taxes on alcohol!) procured in port are usually taxed as well - federal income tax is not the only tax paid.
This is exactly the bullshit people are talking about. Writing off personal luxury as business expenses. And here you are justifying it.

Misleading since they paid billions in other years.
I don't remember ever getting years off from paying taxes

According to Kim's own source, itself the far lefty Pro Publica:
Pro Publica said:
The results are stark. According to Forbes, those 25 people saw their worth rise a collective $401 billion from 2014 to 2018. They paid a total of $13.6 billion in federal income taxes in those five years, the IRS data shows.
Yes, the authors go on to wax idiotic about how that is a low "true tax rate" (a term of their own invention) based on unrealized capital gains that are not taxed almost anywhere in the world. Such taxation scheme would also be difficult to implement in practice. But at least they admit that these billionaires paid billions in taxes. Kim goes out of her way to obfuscate that fact.

We can discuss tax rates and various tax avoidance schemes the rich can use. What a "fair share" is likewise up to debate.
But we should not be dishonest and imply that the rich pay little or no taxes.
We don't pay taxes; only the little people pay taxes." - Leona helmsley

Last edited:
Turnaround is not fair play when it affects different individuals who only share genitalia and skin color with people who had the advantages in the past.
This is the heart of the problem. All such programs do not help those who were harmed.
This is quite interesting coming from ardent supporters of Israel, one of the largest examples of reperations ever.

When Reagan made a huge cut to the tax rate it didn't result in a big change to tax revenue because the same change removed a whole bunch of those loopholes. Very few people were actually paying the old rates. (Note that the numbers from the time aren't meaningful--most of the issues were things that kept money from showing up as income in the first place.)
Good thing those loopholes were removed.

Oops!

The live on borrowing keeps being presented--over the long run the interest exceeds the tax savings. People do it because they feel they can make more in the market than the cost of the money.
It's a loophole. And a huge one.

But in other years, they paid billions in tax.
Cite? Did you notice the "Over SEVERAL years"?
I cited it below. Did you not read my entire post?
And Derec gives further proof that the Ilk regards "factual and truthful" as a synonym of "far left":
Nope. Try "making up terms to advance an ideological point". Terms like "true tax rate" for taxing unrealized gains.
"Far lefty"? I suppose that in your dialect, that means they're more rational than Marjorie Taylor Greene. 8-)
What does MTG have to do with this discussion?
Pro Publica has won seven Pulitzers.
So? Doesn't mean they are not on the left.
The Sandlers hired Paul Steiger, former managing editor of The Wall Street Journal, to create and run the organization [Pro Publica] as editor in chief.
Also does not mean that they are not on the left.
So 25 super-rich DID pay 3.4% of their gains in taxes, which is more than Zero. But the claim you seem to think this contradicts was NOT about all 25. It was about THREE named billionaires and "several others."
My point is that comparing taxes paid with unrealized gains is not proper, since unrealized gains are not taxed. This quotient thus does not represent any sort of tax rate, much less a "true tax rate".
As to the 25, it is clear from the context that "and others" are the 22 that together with the three make up the 25. You are clinging to some flimsy straws here.
In any case, it was misleading for Kim to imply that the rich pay no taxes.

That I do believe. I said earlier that a couple of shotgun blasts into the air would have done the trick, as far as getting rid of MAGAts is concerned.
Should police have fired shotguns at Antifa and #BLM rioters too? Or is your advocacy for violence ideologically limited?

That I do believe. I said earlier that a couple of shotgun blasts into the air would have done the trick, as far as getting rid of MAGAts is concerned.
Should police have fired shotguns at Antifa and #BLM rioters too? Or is your advocacy for violence ideologically limited?
If they were being physically assaulted by them then possibly yes. In fact, according to some here, simply being threatened or even feeling scared is enough to justify a police shooting.

Trying to rescue someone who has willfully immersed themself in a cesspool of lies and is already inhaling gray water, is a fool’s errand.
You must be talking about Swammerdami!
ETA: 3.4% is slightly less than the 10-12% I pay on every goddam penny I earn. But I guess they deserve a break, being self appointed “job creators” and professional tax cheats.
You are misunderstanding Pro Publica's deliberately misleading calculations. They take the taxes paid, which are billions of dollars, and divide them not by income, as would be logical to figure out the tax rate, but by unrealized capital gains, which are not taxed. This quotient is entirely meaningless; it cannot and should not be compared to anybody's tax rate.
Moreover, you also pay 0% on unrealized capital gains. If you own some stocks (e.g. in index funds), and gain $20k in one year on your holdings, you will not pay any taxes on them. Because unrealized capital gains are not taxed. Not for you, and not for Bezos either.

If they were being physically assaulted by them then possibly yes. In fact, according to some here, simply being threatened or even feeling scared is enough to justify a police shooting.
The 2020 rioters attacked and took over multiple police stations throughout the US. They burned down police cars. They engaged in orders of magnitude more violence than MAGA did on 1/6.

It's a loophole. And a huge one.

Yup. As Loren points out, it doesn’t even net them that much. Mostly they’re paying the banks instead of the treasury. But that extra point or two they “save” amounts to more in a year for some, than most people will make in their lifetime. And it costs the Treasury (YOU) about ten times that amount; the rest went to the banks.

Back
Top Bottom