• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Musk responds to AOC rant about him buying Twitter;

Hilarious.

Yes. The punchline makes it so.

Az5Ier5.png

Elon was being a bit silly

He certainly was.

she's clearly not into African Americans.
Citation needed. :p

No, he's right. That was about Warren Beatty.

AOC is limited in certain capabilities...
I presume you're not talking about intellectual capabilities; we've seen how conservotards do against her in that arena!
AOC was a Rated Rookie. Her performance so far has had good bits and not as good bits, times where she has shown wise pragmatism and other times she hasn't. She is no Omar who is a Johnny Manziel bust.

How a billionaires boys’ club came to dominate the public square

The world’s richest man, Elon Musk, attacked a publication owned by the world’s third-richest man, Jeff Bezos, last month for reprinting a column published by the world’s 13th-richest man, Mike Bloomberg.

The Bloomberg opinion article, posted by The Washington Post, asked whether Musk’s recent investment in Twitter would endanger freedom of speech. “WaPo always good for a laugh,” Musk wrote in a tweet, with smiling and crying emoji.
The jab underscored an unusual and consequential feature of the nation’s new digital public square: Technological change and the fortunes it created have given a vanishingly small club of massively wealthy individuals the ability to play arbiter, moderator and bankroller of not only the information that feeds the nation’s discourse but also the architecture that undergirds it.

Musk’s agreement Monday to purchase Twitter for $44 billion — a number slightly larger than the gross domestic product of Jordan — will allow him to follow through on his stated desire to loosen restrictions on the content that crosses the fourth-largest social media network in the United States. He joins Meta founder Mark Zuckerberg, No. 15 on the Forbes list of the world’s wealthiest, who has autonomy over the algorithms and moderation policies of the nation’s top three social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram and Facebook Messenger.
Gift Link

Musk responds to AOC rant about him buying Twitter;

Hilarious.

Yes. The punchline makes it so.

Az5Ier5.png

Elon was being a bit silly

He certainly was.

she's clearly not into African Americans.
Citation needed. :p

No, he's right. That was about Warren Beatty.

Carly Simon wrote that song in the same year Elon Musk was born. This was not a coincidence. Simon's prophetic prowess is unrivalled. Not even Michel de Nostredame could compare, and he predicted 9/11!

Occupying a portion of a city is also the act of an insurgency, and setting buildings on fire with people in them is also pretty much a terrorist act.
That false equivalence is somewhat disturbing. Intentionally committing vehicular homicide a la Charlottesville is also a “form of insurgency” and a despicable act. But it’s a far cry from a coup attempt. Burning a cop shop or courthouse is nothing at all like trying to prevent the peaceful transfer of presidential power - an essential component of democracy - in order to illegally install a populist conman (or anyone else) to rule over the Land.

If we lose our democracy, we will have holders of that specious “both sides” argument to thank.
Okay, do you have some references I could look into? I've heard a lot of people insist that it was an attempted coup, and an insurgency... but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe this is anything other than hyperbole. So if you've got actual supporting evidence, I'd appreciate it.

It's a word, but not a good word, due to the negative connotations associated with it that lead people to feel insulted by its use. The same problem arises to an even greater extent with other words, such as negro or nigger, both of which "only" mean "black" - but obviously don't only mean "black".

Wishing that everyone was happy with simple labels to which no complicating overtones have become attached is not going to make it so. That's why there are a lot of different words with identical core definitions, but subtle and important differences in tone, in many areas of the English language. Another good example is the myriad words for our genitalia.

In short, we do not already have a good word for African-American; we already have a load of words of varying degrees of badness.

Reality is complicated. It's not improved by pretending that it isn't.
Interesting, the very, very, very many black people that I know - both as friends and as family - all prefer "black" over "african american".

African American is rather like "Latinx". It's something that liberal white people think that people who aren't white ought to like, without bothering to actually discuss it with them... because liberal white people have a tendency to think they know what's best for others.

I say that as a pretty liberal white person, who is moderately well aware of me having done this too.

I've heard a lot of people insist that it was an attempted coup, and an insurgency... but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe this is anything other than hyperbole.
People smashed through windows and doors of the capitol in order to prevent the confirmation of a democratically elected president-to-be by physical force. There is nothing hyperbolic about calling it an attempted coup.

Storming-the-Capitol.jpg

I've heard a lot of people insist that it was an attempted coup, and an insurgency... but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe this is anything other than hyperbole.
People smashed through windows and doors of the capitol in order to prevent the confirmation of a democratically elected president-to-be by physical force. There is nothing hyperbolic about calling it an attempted coup.

Storming-the-Capitol.jpg
If that had happened in Harare, or Kinshasa, or Nairobi, nobody would hesitate to call it a coup attempt.

I am not sure why it's not one when it happens in Washington DC.

Occupying a portion of a city is also the act of an insurgency, and setting buildings on fire with people in them is also pretty much a terrorist act.
That false equivalence is somewhat disturbing. Intentionally committing vehicular homicide a la Charlottesville is also a “form of insurgency” and a despicable act. But it’s a far cry from a coup attempt. Burning a cop shop or courthouse is nothing at all like trying to prevent the peaceful transfer of presidential power - an essential component of democracy - in order to illegally install a populist conman (or anyone else) to rule over the Land.

If we lose our democracy, we will have holders of that specious “both sides” argument to thank.
Okay, do you have some references I could look into? I've heard a lot of people insist that it was an attempted coup, and an insurgency... but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe this is anything other than hyperbole. So if you've got actual supporting evidence, I'd appreciate it.

No Emily I am not going to try to spoon feed you, and I’m sure that with sufficient diligence you can maintain your ignorance of the events of 1/6 and the plan that hatched those events. Starting June 9, you will have a chance to see and hear the evidence gathered from over 800 witnesses and participants in that plan. But nobody will force you to watch any of it, because - freedum. You can elect to watch NewsMax and read Breitbart if you prefer. They will protect you.

Okay, do you have some references I could look into? I've heard a lot of people insist that it was an attempted coup, and an insurgency... but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe this is anything other than hyperbole.

It must be difficult to maintain that level of ignorance. There have already been guilty pleas of seditious conspiracy, and starting June 9 you will have to try ver hard to avoid the outcome of over 800 witnesses and participants in the plan to overthrow the 2020 election for Trump. Be sure to hide well … tune in to NewsMax and read Breitbart. They’ll protect you.

It was an attempt to use force to change who was in power in the United States. How is that not a coup attempt?

If that had happened in Harare, or Kinshasa, or Nairobi, nobody would hesitate to call it a coup attempt.

I am not sure why it's not one when it happens in Washington DC.
Because coups don't happen in first world democracies!

PayPal Has Begun Quietly Shuttering Left-Wing Media Accounts

Over the past few days, several independent news outlets and journalists have had their PayPal accounts abruptly canceled and their funds frozen by the company for unspecified offenses. These outlets also happened to have dissented in various ways from official orthodoxy on the Ukraine war. Since the Russian invasion, a series of extreme, wartime-like information-control policies had already been taken up in the West. The latest news suggests the trend is getting dramatically worse.

Consortium News, founded by the late Associated Press investigative legend Robert Parry in 1995 as one of the web’s very first independent, reader-funded news outlets, reported over the weekend that PayPal had “permanently limited” its account, just as it was launching its Spring Fund Drive. According to editor-in-chief Joe Lauria — a former longtime United Nations correspondent for the Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, and others — the company said it would hold onto the thousands of dollars accumulated in the outlet’s account for 180 days and reserved the right to seize the money entirely to pay for unnamed “damages.”

According to Lauria, Consortium News was neither warned that they were at risk of censure nor given a reason for it in either PayPal’s initial email or a follow-up call with a customer service representative. PayPal’s back office didn’t give a reason for the action, and there was no existing case against the outlet. Lauria reported he was informed of the move by the customer agent, who only mentioned that an “investigation and review” revealed “some potential risk associated with this account.” Given the outlet’s critical coverage of the Ukraine war, and given the far-reaching steps already taken in the “information war” over the conflict, Lauria writes that it’s “more than conceivable” the outlet is being punished for its Ukraine coverage.

Okay, do you have some references I could look into? I've heard a lot of people insist that it was an attempted coup, and an insurgency... but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe this is anything other than hyperbole.

It must be difficult to maintain that level of ignorance. There have already been guilty pleas of seditious conspiracy, and starting June 9 you will have to try ver hard to avoid the outcome of over 800 witnesses and participants in the plan to overthrow the 2020 election for Trump. Be sure to hide well … tune in to NewsMax and read Breitbart. They’ll protect you.
Yeah, a storming of the US Capitol building after a rally about a "stolen" election, where one speaker goes on about a "trial by combat".. some chanting death to the sitting Vice President. Yeah... those people just wanted to air a grievance.

Yeah, a storming of the US Capitol building after a rally about a "stolen" election, where one speaker goes on about a "trial by combat".. some chanting death to the sitting Vice President. Yeah... those people just wanted to air a grievance.
Makes ya wonder what would constitute a coup attempt in @Emily Lake estimation.

Back
Top Bottom