• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

I believe that superdelegates can change their minds. While I don't think they would in this case, as they generally would see Sanders as a threat, they might think twice about going against the clear will of the voters, unless it were close.

Sanders has little chance in the South. I think he'll prove his point, then lose.

Carly Fiorina ends presidential bid - CNNPolitics.com
Chris Christie suspends campaign - CNNPolitics.com
However,
Ben Carson staying in race, sees South Carolina victory - CNNPolitics.com
He's awfully optimistic about that.

Who's in and who's out:

Republican:
Ted Cruz: 2015 Mar 23 -
Rand Paul: 2015 Apr 7 - 2016 Feb 3
Marco Rubio: 2015 Apr 13 -
Ben Carson: 2015 May 3 -
Carly Fiorina: 2015 May 4 - 2016 Feb 11
Mike Huckabee: 2015 May 5 - 2016 Feb 1
Rick Santorum: 2015 May 27 - 2016 Feb 3
George Pataki: 2015 May 28 - 2015 Dec 29
Lindsey Graham: 2015 Jun 1 - 2015 Dec 21
Rick Perry: 2015 Jun 4 - 2015 Sep 11
Jeb Bush: 2015 Jun 15 -
Donald Trump: 2015 Jun 16 -
Bobby Jindal: 2015 Jun 24 - 2015 Nov 17
Chris Christie: 2015 Jun 30 - 2016 Feb 11
Scott Walker: 2015 Jul 13 - 2015 Sep 21
John Kasich: 2015 Jul 21 -
Jim Gilmore: 2015 Jul 29 -

Democratic:
Hillary Clinton: 2015 Apr 12 -
Bernie Sanders: 2015 Apr 30 -
Martin O'Malley: 2015 May 30 - 2016 Feb 1
Lincoln Chafee: 2015 June 3 - 2015 Oct 23
Jim Webb: 2015 Jul 2 - 2015 Oct 2
Lawrence Lessig: 2015 Sep 6 - 2015 Nov 8

Green:
Jill Stein: 22 June 2015 -

So, are we having a debate prior to every primary now? I thought they were trying to reduce the number of debates.

I believe that superdelegates can change their minds. While I don't think they would in this case, as they generally would see Sanders as a threat, they might think twice about going against the clear will of the voters, unless it were close.

Sanders has little chance in the South. I think he'll prove his point, then lose.
Obama was in a similar situation in '08. They turned eventually.

So now we step into a newer area. Candidates are dropping like flies (well after the fact), but Jeb Bush is still in it. And you know what, I think Jeb Bush could still be the nominee (some time in the writing of this post, Jeb will drop out now ;)).

Sometimes some things are easier to see in hindsight, but I'll give you foresighted hindsight. Trump can't debate. Yeah sure, he can talk, but he can't debate. And he hasn't had to debate yet, just say a few things and smirk. That stuff works with a "debate" including 10 candidates. "Make America Great Again" works in stump speeches and when you talk about 15 minutes in a 2 hour debate. But what about for 1 hour in a 2 hour debate? As the field has tightened up, vague talk becomes more pronounced. Where Rubio failed in the crap debates, Trump most certainly can fail in a political debate (what is called one these days).

Trump has a lot of support based solely on his personality. A bad debate performance could tear right through that. His base could remain, but the voters that put him to 30 or 40% may waiver and look for alternatives. That would be Cruz, Kasich, or yes Bush. I think Bush has one thing going for him, Super PACs that have invested way too much money into him to quit. So the goal right now is to wait long enough for Trump to burn out and look like a fool in a three or four man debate. That will tighten the race and then all of a sudden the Establishment is one on one with Cruz.

May not happen that way, but I think a tighter debate is not in Trump's best interest and Trump doesn't know that yet. I think he has possibly seduced himself into thinking he is an Obama star like candidate, when he isn't even close.

Hmmmmm. Sanders ekes out a narrow win over Clinton. The electoral college instead goes for Clinton. Would there be riots?
You don't mean electoral college (that is the 18th century relic used in the general election) but delegates at the convention. Yes, it is possible for the superdelegates to overthrow primary/caucus results, but it is a very risky strategy. For one, there could be violent protests, even riots, at the convention. But even if that doesn't happen many Sanders supporters will stay home or vote for somebody like Jill Stein. Some might even vote for Trump rather than backstabber Hillary.

So now we step into a newer area. Candidates are dropping like flies (well after the fact), but Jeb Bush is still in it. And you know what, I think Jeb Bush could still be the nominee (some time in the writing of this post, Jeb will drop out now ;)).

Sometimes some things are easier to see in hindsight, but I'll give you foresighted hindsight. Trump can't debate. Yeah sure, he can talk, but he can't debate. And he hasn't had to debate yet, just say a few things and smirk. That stuff works with a "debate" including 10 candidates. "Make America Great Again" works in stump speeches and when you talk about 15 minutes in a 2 hour debate. But what about for 1 hour in a 2 hour debate? As the field has tightened up, vague talk becomes more pronounced. Where Rubio failed in the crap debates, Trump most certainly can fail in a political debate (what is called one these days).

Trump has a lot of support based solely on his personality. A bad debate performance could tear right through that. His base could remain, but the voters that put him to 30 or 40% may waiver and look for alternatives. That would be Cruz, Kasich, or yes Bush. I think Bush has one thing going for him, Super PACs that have invested way too much money into him to quit. So the goal right now is to wait long enough for Trump to burn out and look like a fool in a three or four man debate. That will tighten the race and then all of a sudden the Establishment is one on one with Cruz.

May not happen that way, but I think a tighter debate is not in Trump's best interest and Trump doesn't know that yet. I think he has possibly seduced himself into thinking he is an Obama star like candidate, when he isn't even close.

I think you are right that Bush might win the "establishment lane". But then he would be in a three way fight against Trump and Cruz. And to win the nomination, he has to start winning some states and soon. Unfortunately for him, Florida does not vote until March 15th, long after Super Tuesday, and he has to share the "favorite son" vote with Rubio. So his best chance might be to attack Rubio and diminish his support between now and Florida.

I think Trump is still in a good position. There are no new NV and SC polls out yet but he should be leading in them. Cruz will have to split Evangelical vote with Carson in SC at least if not during Super Tuesday as well (depends if Carson drops out). Remember what happened in 2008 - Huckabee had Fred "Law and Order" Thompson as an Evangelical spoiler delivering SC win to McCain and with it pretty much the nomination. And the establishment lane is still very much fractured. If Trump wins both NV and SC he just might be unbeatable.

I don't think Trump's support is based on his personality. He is the first candidate to openly appeal to the racist vote since Wallace. That's who his supporters are, and that's why they love him.

Republican:
Ted Cruz: 2015 Mar 23 -
Rand Paul: 2015 Apr 7 - 2016 Feb 3
Marco Rubio: 2015 Apr 13 -
Ben Carson: 2015 May 3 -
Carly Fiorina: 2015 May 4 - 2016 Feb 11
Mike Huckabee: 2015 May 5 - 2016 Feb 1
Rick Santorum: 2015 May 27 - 2016 Feb 3
George Pataki: 2015 May 28 - 2015 Dec 29
Lindsey Graham: 2015 Jun 1 - 2015 Dec 21
Rick Perry: 2015 Jun 4 - 2015 Sep 11
Jeb Bush: 2015 Jun 15 -
Donald Trump: 2015 Jun 16 -
Bobby Jindal: 2015 Jun 24 - 2015 Nov 17
Chris Christie: 2015 Jun 30 - 2016 Feb 11
Scott Walker: 2015 Jul 13 - 2015 Sep 21
John Kasich: 2015 Jul 21 -
Jim Gilmore: 2015 Jul 29 -

The pollsters will love this--now it's down to fewer candidates than buttons on the phone.

Sources close to Bush have noted he is something of a wonk. He likes discussing facts and figures and so on. But that does not fit in with debates with 7 people on stage. It may be possible with a slimmed down debate he might get to do better in more issue oriented debates. We shall see if this analysis is correct. Jeb does not do Trump style braggadacio and bombast well.

Slightly off topic but interesting.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Two top Indiana Republicans said Thursday they were surprised U.S. Senate candidate Todd Young may have failed to gather enough signatures to qualify for the ballot, and the GOP state Senate leader said if the allegation against the congressman is true it may be "one of the most colossal mistakes I've ever seen."
"I suspect that congressman Young thought he had all the signatures wrapped up weeks ago," said Senate President Pro Tem David Long. "All I can say is I'm amazed that he's in that situation."
Republican House Speaker Brian Bosma said that it is the job of political candidates to "be sure you beat the hurdle."

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/feb/11/gop-stunned-senate-hopeful-may-be-short-of-ballot-/

Bwahahahahahaha!

Cheerful Charlie's link with its title: Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore drops Republican presidential bid (Raw Story)

Checking on RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - South Carolina Republican Presidential Primary (Feb 20), the lowest in those polls is Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, and John Kasich together, with Ben Carson doing the worst in the most recent poll there. So will Ben Carson be the next to drop out?

Carlie Fiorina is still in the race officially and is dragging along at 1%. I suspect she will drop out soon enough. G'bye Carlie.

I'm sure Gilmore's dozens of supporters will flock to Jeb! Look out for the comeback!

Back
Top Bottom