• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Veep Bets

I saw Susan Rice interviewed by Bill Maher on his latest show. She was excellent and I think she would be a great VP candidate with Biden. She spoke very highly of Biden. They've worked together for many years. Since he said he wants someone who is "simpatico" with him, I can't imagine anyone who would fit that bill more. Plus she has extensive foreign policy. I don't think any of the other candidates can match her experience in that area. Finally, she admits that she wants the job. I wonder why we don't hear more about her. She's probably the most qualified of all the women being considered.

Well she took the fall for Benghazi, which set her political career and profile back somewhat. But yes, I agree that she would be very well qualified, and indeed she is in third place on PredictIt.
Stacey Abrams, the inexplicable favorite of some on here, is trading at $0.03, behind Atlanta mayor Bottoms and even Michelle Obama. For those who really believe it will be her, here's a way to make a lot of money!

With regards to Rice, if the Dems put two Iraq War supporters on the ticket that would be the final straw for me.

With regards to Rice, if the Dems put two Iraq War supporters on the ticket that would be the final straw for me.

Oh? I am surprised to learn (if this is what you're implying) that you would ever have considered voting for Biden - or anyone else who might get Trump ousted.

The New York Times has a piece today that claims which women are most likely to be chosen to run with Biden. I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but the Times is pretty good at getting people to leak information.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/biden-vice-president-2020.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Joseph R. Biden Jr. is deep into his search for a running mate. The process began with a list of more than a dozen potential candidates, all of them women. His team has narrowed that list, conducting multiple interviews and collecting sensitive personal documents from a number of the most important contenders.

If you can't or don't want to read the article, I will list who the top 5 contenders are.

Kamela Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Keisha Bottoms, Susan Rice and Val Demings are the top 5. The other 7 women are being considered but not "very seriously" considered. I honestly don't get the Keisha Bottoms panacea, as she has the least amount of experience of any of those under consideration. I'm not personally impressed with her and neither is a friend of mine who I discuss politics with 3 times a week by phone. I could be wrong, but I tend to think that Harris will end up being the one who Biden chooses. Soon we shall know.

I will obviously support Biden regardless of who he chooses. Even if I didn't like him or agree with most of his past positions or current positions, he is a far better choice than what we have now. No candidate is perfect. None of these women are perfect, but they are all very intelligent, capable people.

Oh? I am surprised to learn (if this is what you're implying) that you would ever have considered voting for Biden - or anyone else who might get Trump ousted.

Elixir, merely because I don't share your crazy ideas about Trump being the end of democracy in the US or whatever, that doesn't mean I'm not far to the left of you. The way I see it, you and your idealogical counterparts are the reason we have Trump. And returning to "normalcy" isn't going to fix anything. Except make you and other baby boomers feel safe, while America keeps burning.

Elixir, merely because I don't share your crazy ideas about Trump being the end of democracy in the US or whatever, that doesn't mean I'm not far to the left of you. The way I see it, you and your idealogical counterparts are the reason we have Trump. And returning to "normalcy" isn't going to fix anything. Except make you and other baby boomers feel safe, while America keeps burning.

Okay then J8, I'll watch the rest of your warnings of woe should x, y or z take place, and eagerly anticipate your forthcoming revelation of a novel solution for getting rid of Trump. But arguing against some fantasy that I am envisioning any "return to normal" isn't going to lend that outcome. And assuming Trump will ever concede an election regardless of the margin of victory shown by the "fake media" - that isn't going to get us there either.
Seriously you come across rather far to the right of me, but in this day of alternative facts it's hard to tell.

BTW, what did you mean by "final straw"? Two warhawks on the ticket (a relative term with guys like Bolton running around) would alter your choices how? Stay home? Vote libberpublican? Whereas you would vote for Biden if he had AOC on the ticket?

The way I see it, you and your idealogical counterparts are the reason we have Trump.

Please tell me more about the way you see it, and how I/we caused Trump. I sure as hell didn't vote to nominate Hillary, and didn't vote for Trump. I caucused for Bernie in 2016 - did THAT cause Trump? I voted for Warren in the Dem primary... is THAT going to cause Trump again?
I was tear-gassed at anti-war/free speech protests in Berkeley in the 60's before dropping out of high school - did THAT cause Trump?
Or was it more due to people who were (and still are, apparently) complacent about the increasingly authoritarian leanings of the American right wing, such as yourself?

The way I see it, you and your idealogical counterparts are the reason we have Trump.

Please tell me more about the way you see it, and how I/we caused Trump. I sure as hell didn't vote to nominate Hillary, and didn't vote for Trump. I caucused for Bernie in 2016 - did THAT cause Trump? I voted for Warren in the Dem primary... is THAT going to cause Trump again?
I was tear-gassed at anti-war/free speech protests in Berkeley in the 60's before dropping out of high school - did THAT cause Trump?
Or was it more due to people who were (and still are, apparently) complacent about the increasingly authoritarian leanings of the American right wing, such as yourself?

Well, it's both of you, of course.

The people who were complacent and didn't participate combined with the Bernie Bros and the like who weren't willing to settle for their second choice so they didn't participate allowed Trump to eke out tiny wins in enough of the places which mattered and put him over the top.

It's no good trying to fight for a cause if you're then going to accept 0% of that cause over 50% of it. That's just a waste of time and effort.

Well, it's both of you, of course.

The people who were complacent and didn't participate combined with the Bernie Bros and the like who weren't willing to settle for their second choice so they didn't participate....

Neither of those is me. I voted for Hillary, even knowing that she had 30 years of Republican vilification and lies to overcome. I have known since long before Trump's bid for office that he ws a scumbag. Yes, I have been surprised like a lot of people at exactly how stupid, corrupt and soulless he is, but my opinion of him really hasn't changes a lot.

...allowed Trump to eke out tiny wins in enough of the places which mattered and put him over the top.

It's no good trying to fight for a cause if you're then going to accept 0% of that cause over 50% of it. That's just a waste of time and effort.

Agreed.
I am still wondering what J8 did or didn't do that makes him think he's "far to the left" of me... or anyone else for that matter.

Last edited:
Interesting. Not without precedent, as McCain and Cruz can attest, but it is still quite uncommon for people born overseas to seek the presidency. It would end up in the Supreme Court, but I'm pretty confident they would rule that birth place is irrelevant as long as one was born a citizen.

The last person to ascend presidential office despite not being born in the United States was William Henry Harrison (1841-1841).

Interesting. Not without precedent, as McCain and Cruz can attest, but it is still quite uncommon for people born overseas to seek the presidency. It would end up in the Supreme Court, but I'm pretty confident they would rule that birth place is irrelevant as long as one was born a citizen.

The last person to ascend presidential office despite not being born in the United States was William Henry Harrison (1841-1841).

Duckworth's father was an American citizen when she was born, so it shouldn't matter if she wasn't born in the states. Although Obama was born in the states, you know how the Republicans tried to claim that he was born in Kenya. That always got me because even if he had been born somewhere else while his mother was out of the country, it wouldn't have mattered, since his mother was born in the US.

Anyway, I posted a link to an article a couple of days ago that said that Duckworth had been vetted but she wasn't among the top five women who were being considered more seriously. The top five according to the NYTimes were Harris, Warren, Rice, Demings, and believe it or not, Bottoms. Of course that could change, and it's possible that the info that was leaked to the NYTImes wasn't all correct.

Duckworth's father was an American citizen when she was born, so it shouldn't matter if she wasn't born in the states. Although Obama was born in the states, you know how the Republicans tried to claim that he was born in Kenya. That always got me because even if he had been born somewhere else while his mother was out of the country, it wouldn't have mattered, since his mother was born in the US.

As I said, I think the Court would almost certainly agree. But it will end up at their doorstep, if tried.

That was a different case, because the United States did not exist when he was born, though our nation's predecessors did.

The position of US President came into existence when the US Constitution was ratified, in June 21, 1788, complete with that document's qualifications for that position.

I will now check on which Presidents were born at that date or afterward, using Birthplace, Birthdate, and Death information of the U.S. Presidents

William Henry Harrison and every President before him was born before the US Constitution was ratified, as was Zachary Taylor. The after-ratification Presidents were John Tyler, James Polk, (ZT in between), Millard Fillmore, and every later President.

In summary, it was (before) ... WHH (after) JT, JP (before) ZT (after) MF ...

Actually Martin Van Buren, Harrison's immediate predecessor, was arguably a United States native; though the nation did not have a president at the time of his birth it had declared independence and he made quite a point of it to others. Van Buren was also the only US President to speak English as a second language, reputedly the only so far not to have a known family connection to the British throne, and the first president to be inexplicably blamed by the public for a downturn in the stock market.

The date of the Declaration of Independence is 1776 Jul 4, so I'll use that.

• date < DoI: George Washington to William Henry Harrison
  • Const < date: John Tyler, James Polk
  • DoI < date < Const: Zachary Taylor
  • Const < date: Millard Fillmore to the present day

The Top 10 women Joe Biden might pick as vice president - CNNPolitics

10. Gretchen Whitmer: MI Gov
9. Tammy Baldwin: WI Sen
8. Gina Raimondo: RI Gov
7. Tammy Duckworth: IL Sen
6. Elizabeth Warren: MA Sen
5. Susan Rice: Obama Nat'l Security Advisor, UN Ambassador
4. Val Demings: FL-10 Rep, Orlando FL Police Chief