• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Veep Bets

Actually Martin Van Buren, Harrison's immediate predecessor, was arguably a United States native; though the nation did not have a president at the time of his birth it had declared independence and he made quite a point of it to others. Van Buren was also the only US President to speak English as a second language, reputedly the only so far not to have a known family connection to the British throne, and the first president to be inexplicably blamed by the public for a downturn in the stock market.

Van Buren Boy 4 Life!
VanBuren7-17-2012-2.jpg

I'm surprised Katie Porter isn't in the top 10 there.

Why? What's so special about Katie fucking Porter?

I am surprised our feckless mayor who allowed a racist mob to control University Ave. for days is considered #2. She can't even properly run a city of half a million; who in their right mind would put her one 79-year old heartbeat away from running a nation of 320 million?

I am glad though that probably the most overrated politician of our times, Stacey Abrams, is not in top 10.

I'm surprised Katie Porter isn't in the top 10 there.

Why? What's so special about Katie fucking Porter?

Despite being guilty of the unforgivable crime of being a woman, she is extremely good at holding people accountable during inquiries/testimonies/whatever they're called, is consistent in her values, explains her point of view in an intelligent and concise manner and appears very reluctant to resort to theatre to get her message across. And she does all this without sounding condescending, a skill Biden lacks in my opinion. And she skewered Bill Maher on his on show which is endearing to me because fuck Bill Maher.

She's also white, which sadly is important as there is a sentiment in certain parts of America to automatically dismiss black women in politics. It's difficult to believe in this day and age, but some Americans will do nothing but complain about how dangerous, evil and "privileged" blacks are in the US and unfortunately their vote matters as well.

Despite being guilty of the unforgivable crime of being a woman,
What are you on about? It's exactly the opposite. Only women are considered for Biden's running mate spot - no men need apply.

she is extremely good at holding people accountable during inquiries/testimonies/whatever they're called,
Can you give me an example?

is consistent in her values,
Far-left values?

And she does all this without sounding condescending, a skill Biden lacks in my opinion.
Yeah, he can be that.

And she skewered Bill Maher on his on show which is endearing to me because fuck Bill Maher.
I like Bill Maher. Certainly 100x more than Sam Seder and his way-too-long intro. And anyway, this clip demonstrates what I have seen from fauxgressives - if you offer any sort of nuance or even slight objection to the party line, you get accused of being all the way on the other side. Another example of that tactic is so-called "Black Lives Matter". If you are in any way disagreeing with that movement you must be a racist who doesn't care about black lives.

She's also white, which sadly is important as there is a sentiment in certain parts of America to automatically dismiss black women in politics.
Again, it's exactly the opposite. There is little chance that the running mate Biden selects will be white. Most likely she will be black or at least blackish like Kamala Harris.

It's difficult to believe in this day and age, but some Americans will do nothing but complain about how dangerous, evil and "privileged" blacks are in the US and unfortunately their vote matters as well.
You are conflating issues. Blacks as a group are not evil or dangerous, but there certainly is black privilege. Examples being so-called "affirmative action" and also the double standard on racism. White people get cancelled for every perceived microaggression, while black people are allowed to say the most vile, racist shit and still are not shunned from polite company.
5a6f6afaf12ab.image.png

What are you on about? It's exactly the opposite. Only women are considered for Biden's running mate spot - no men need apply.

If I had ever heard you complain about the elections when women weren’t allowed to apply and how awful that was, I’d be more likely to buy your tale of “unequal woe to men” is based on something besides sexism. But haven’t, so I don’t.

If I had ever heard you complain about the elections when women weren’t allowed to apply and how awful that was, I’d be more likely to buy your tale of “unequal woe to men” is based on something besides sexism. But haven’t, so I don’t.

When was the last time a candidate for President said that they would exclude any women from consideration for VP?

Has that happened, say, since 2002?

When was the last time a candidate for President said that they would exclude any women from consideration for VP?

How many times have women been seriously considered as running mates? How many have actually been on the ticket?

It's been rare, even in the last 50 years, that gender has been considered. Or race, for that matter. Because the default preferred candidate has traditionally been white and male. Frankly, still is as we notice immediately how much attention is given if someone mentions wanting to ensure that female candidates (or candidate who are not white AND Christian/pseudoChristian) are considered. THAT'S big news. Because it is new and represents a sea change.

It is unfair that white males aren’t being considered for the VP part of the 2020 Democratic ticket. White males have only been considered for nearly every Presidential election in our history. This change is clearly bigotry.

How many times have women been seriously considered as running mates? How many have actually been on the ticket?

It's been rare, even in the last 50 years, that gender has been considered. Or race, for that matter. Because the default preferred candidate has traditionally been white and male. Frankly, still is as we notice immediately how much attention is given if someone mentions wanting to ensure that female candidates (or candidate who are not white AND Christian/pseudoChristian) are considered. THAT'S big news. Because it is new and represents a sea change.

So, no examples then.

In any case, all this idiotic innuendo against Derec is stupid. He's already even suggested a couple of female candidate who he would like, even a black female candidate. His comment was in response to the insinuation that the reason he doesn't like Katie Porter is because she is a woman.

It is unfair that white males aren’t being considered for the VP part of the 2020 Democratic ticket. White males have only been considered for nearly every Presidential election in our history. This change is clearly bigotry.

Are you ok? Who are you talking to?

Just listening to Rachel Maddow interview Susan Rice about the Trump Afghanistan - Russia fiasco. Rachel ended the interview by asking Susan Rice about rumors she is being considered as Biden's running mate. Rice of course would not deny or confirm this but stated she is dedicated to getting Biden elected and Trump out.

This could be an interesting choice. Susan Rice would make a very good VP. Or even president.. She is smart, well spoken and has proven skills and leadership qualities. Watch this.

I think Susan Rice would be a good choice. I would have no objections to voting for her. If Biden were to die suddenly, I think she could handle the job of president as good as anybody else. Certainly better than Trump or Pence. And she would be priceless in straightening out the mess Trump has left in the intelligence community and State Department. Here's another thought. Preet Baraha for Attorney General replacing the wretched William Barr. Meanwhile, MSNBC is all over the Trump - Afghanistan story big time and it keeps getting wierder. Trump is beginning to panic and is threatening whistle blowers who talk to the press.

So, no examples then.

In any case, all this idiotic innuendo against Derec is stupid. He's already even suggested a couple of female candidate who he would like, even a black female candidate. His comment was in response to the insinuation that the reason he doesn't like Katie Porter is because she is a woman.

You are intentionally missing my point.

Until relatively recently, race and gender were a foregone conclusion: white, male. End of discussion. No one needed to make a declaration of their refusal to consider a person of color or a woman as a running mate anymore than they needed to declare that the sun would rise in the morrow. White/male. Everyone knew it.

Back
Top Bottom