• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Warren's Native American heritage gaffe

In what ways do YOU embrace your heritage?

Getting shitfaced on St. Patrick's Day if having Irish ancestry?
Celebrating Oktoberfest (by getting shitfaced) if having German ancestry?
Celebrating Columbus Day (10/14) if having Italian ancestry instead of the bogus ersatz "Indigenous People" day?

The problem is that she seemed to not actually embrace said linked heritage, just used it as a bullet point.

Now that is an odd thing to say.

Every single time I eve write anything about my heritage ever, it is just a bullet point as I have never “embraced the heritage” - any of it. I remark about the faint Irish ancestry I have that came by way of Italy. I’ll tell a tale of my first ancestor to America (as Warren did, right?) except mine was a man with a criminal record running from the law who snuck into America. But since that was about 400 years ago, the white folks are okay with it. I’ll add a bullet point about the ones from3 other European countries. And for not a single one of them have I “embraced the heritage” except for one pair of lederhosen that I bought while drinking.

So how many of us in America use our heritage as a bullet point and don’t really embrace it?

I get lost in IKEA a couple of times a year.

The problem is that she seemed to not actually embrace said linked heritage, just used it as a bullet point.

Now that is an odd thing to say.

Every single time I eve write anything about my heritage ever, it is just a bullet point as I have never “embraced the heritage” - any of it. I remark about the faint Irish ancestry I have that came by way of Italy. I’ll tell a tale of my first ancestor to America (as Warren did, right?) except mine was a man with a criminal record running from the law who snuck into America. But since that was about 400 years ago, the white folks are okay with it. I’ll add a bullet point about the ones from3 other European countries. And for not a single one of them have I “embraced the heritage” except for one pair of lederhosen that I bought while drinking.

So how many of us in America use our heritage as a bullet point and don’t really embrace it?

I get lost in IKEA a couple of times a year.

I get lost a couple years at a time...

But she did receive professional benefits because Harvard sought to hire a 'woman of color'.

No. You are still as wrong as you have been the other dozen or so times it's been pointed out to you:

Harvard recruited Warren because they wanted Warren. In fact, I am certain that I linked this article at least once before:
https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/09/02/elizabeth-warren-ethnicity-harvard

"She was not on the radar screen at all in terms of a racial minority hire," Randall, Kennedy, a law professor who was in charge of recruiting minority candidates to Harvard Law School, told the Globe. "It was just not an issue. I can't remember anybody ever mentioning her in this context."

The rest of your post is drivel that doesn't deserve a response.

If being classified as American Indian did not give people special benefits it would not be an issue. Since it does (and I think it shouldn't), the issue of who is Indian or not becomes fraught.

But I think there is another reason many Indians reject genetic testing.

'There is no DNA test to prove you're Native American'

There is this trope that everybody came to America from someplace else, except Indians. That of course is rank nonsense, as Indians had to come here too.
Thank you. I have always wondered why would they be against genetic testing. This explains it. They are afraid Trump will deport them to Siberia :)

Celebrating Columbus Day (10/14) if having Italian ancestry instead of the bogus ersatz "Indigenous People" day?

That’s “embracing heritage”?
I have all three of those heritages, I don’t do that.
Most people I know don’t do that.

That’s “embracing heritage”?
I have all three of those heritages, I don’t do that.
Most people I know don’t do that.

Really? :hysterical:
National Welsh Rarebit Day is coming up on September 3rd, and I'm already chomping at the bit!
The rest of the year I celebrate my father's side by being smarter than everyone else (he was a non-practicing Ashkenazi jew).

This is a valid concern. Anything Warren gives to the Indians is coming straight out of your share.
It's not necessarily just about slices of the pie, but that her policy of atonement may hurt the size of the pie too. For example, if Warren administration automatically rejects major projects like pipelines, mines or telescopes that a group of so-called "natives" objects to, it will harm the US economy.

There is no such thing as an automatic rejection. It doesn't work that way, anymore than there is an automatic government seizure of a person's land for use by a private corporation. Both have a long and complicated procedure.

But on the bright side, Warren's Native American gaffe means one less minority and one more white woman.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch...en-through-airport-screaming-pocahontas-slur/

Supporters of President Donald Trump chased Massachusetts Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren through an airport screaming Trump’s “Pocahontas” slur and demanding she “stop impeachment!”
When Warren arrived at the Reno-Tahoe Airport Wednesday afternoon, she was greeted by a gang of Trump supporters holding “Trump-Pence” signs. They surrounded the senator and shouted demands for her to “STOP IMPEACHMENT!”
Although Warren was an early proponent of impeachment among Democratic candidates, she is a member of the Senate and has no vote in whether or not Trump is impeached. The Senate holds a trial only after the House of Representatives impeaches.
Warren handled the barrage with a smile, at one point telling the mob “It’s nice to see you!”
As she exited the airport, the group began shouting the “Pocahontas” slur that has been a favorite of Trump’s.

-------

It is going to be a long and nasty election cycle. Warren's female supporters need to start going to the airports to greet Warren, wearing their pink pussy hats, and having some "Orange Rapist!" signs if any more of these far right shitheads show up doing this again.

It was mostly tongue in cheek.

I guessed that it was TiC, but that means you chose that joke instead of answering the question.
You claimed Warren’s embrace/acknowledgment of her Native ancestry was insincere because she did not properly “embrace the heritge.” I pointed out that I write Italian, Welsh, Scottish, German, Swiss, and that tiny bit of Irish without doing anything to embrace ANY of those. Am I a liar,, now, when I write any of those on a form?

What’s your criteria for calling her a deliberate prevaricator? It seems pretty sketchy.
Do you mark yourself as “white”? What do you do to publicly embrace your whiteness?

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch...en-through-airport-screaming-pocahontas-slur/
When the controversy over Warren’s claim of Native American heritage first erupted during her Senate run in 2012, conservatives deployed a number of offensive puns to attack her, and Trump adopted the “Pocahontas” slur in 2014.

He has since used the slur 94 times, according to Factbase, which tracks all of Trump’s public statements. According to the same database, Trump has only publicly uttered the word “Tiffany” — the name of his daughter — on 90 occasions. And some of those were references to the jewelry store.

https://factba.se/

According to Factbase, Trump has made 41,785 tweets. That hardly even leaves room for golfing.

and Trump adopted the “Pocahontas” slur in 2014.
He is using it wrong. It should be Fauxcahontas.
Fauxcahontas-Elizabeth-Warren-Baseball-Card-Decal-36-x.jpg
He has since used the slur 94 times, according to Factbase, which tracks all of Trump’s public statements. According to the same database, Trump has only publicly uttered the word “Tiffany” — the name of his daughter — on 90 occasions.
How does that compare to his favorite daughter Ivanka?

And some of those were references to the jewelry store.
Any references to the Audrey Hepburn movie or the Deep Blue Something song?

You claimed Warren’s embrace/acknowledgment of her Native ancestry was insincere because she did not properly “embrace the heritge.”
I did not.
I pointed out that I write Italian, Welsh, Scottish, German, Swiss, and that tiny bit of Irish without doing anything to embrace ANY of those. Am I a liar,, now, when I write any of those on a form?
The difference is that Italian, Welsh, Scottish, German, Swiss, and that tiny bit of Irish ancestry does not confer one legal, professional, political and social benefits. Indian (feather) ancestry does.

What’s your criteria for calling her a deliberate prevaricator? It seems pretty sketchy.
I don't recall using those words.

Do you mark yourself as “white”?

Yes, unfortunately since it brings disadvantages re "affirmative action" policies. Which is the reason Elizabeth Warren marked herself as "American Indian" in her professional life as early as 1986.

What do you do to publicly embrace your whiteness?

I dunno? Put sunscreen on?

It is going to be a long and nasty election cycle. Warren's female supporters need to start going to the airports to greet Warren, wearing their pink pussy hats, and having some "Orange Rapist!" signs if any more of these far right shitheads show up doing this again.

How is that going to appeal to the voters in the swing states that led to Hillary's demise?
I think Warren might be Hillary 2.0.

There is no such thing as an automatic rejection. It doesn't work that way, anymore than there is an automatic government seizure of a person's land for use by a private corporation. Both have a long and complicated procedure.

It may not be automatic de jure, but it would be de facto under President Warren and many of the other current candidates.
Warren even wants to shut down a pipeline (DAPL) that is already built and is operational.
Warren calls for revoking DAPL, Keystone XL permits
Grand Forks Herald said:
In a series of tweets outlining proposed tribal policies, Warren said, "energy projects that impact Indian Country won't proceed without consent" if she's elected president. "When tribal concerns have conflicted with corporate profits or resource extraction, tribes lose. This has to change," the Massachusetts senator wrote.
She is explicitly saying that if an Indian tribe objects to a project that she would reject it. Automatically.
By the way, as you notice she keeps talking about "tribes", not individuals. These policies that privilege Indians are all about collectivism, not individuals.

But on the bright side, Warren's Native American gaffe means one less minority and one more white woman.
Unlike the left, I do not care about that. I care about policies, which is why I reject Warren.

Thank you. I have always wondered why would they be against genetic testing. This explains it. They are afraid Trump will deport them to Siberia :)
It's not about getting deported to Siberia, although it would be fun to watch Standing Rock Sioux and other tribes try to protest pipelines and mines when their adversary is Putin. ;)
While we are at it, we should deport Aquaman and the rest of the idiotic TMT opponents to Novaya Zemlya or something.

It's really that they want to be seen (and treated) as "special", and qualitatively different than other groups who came to America.
New Scientist said:
I think there is a suspicion by many Native Americans that scientists, who are largely not Native American, want to turn our history into another immigrant narrative that says “We’re all really immigrants, we’re all equal, you have no special claims to anything.”
There are also traditional people who don’t want to have a molecular narrative of history shoved down their throats. They would prefer to privilege the tribal creation stories that root us in the landscapes we come from.

They don't want to be equal want to hold fast to their "special" status no matter what science says.

No. You are still as wrong as you have been the other dozen or so times it's been pointed out to you:
I don't disagree that those who made decision do not want to admit to hiring her at least in part because of her claimed ethnicity. But she used "American Indian" as her race designation professionally since the 1980s. It is inconceivable that the hiring committee did not know or did not care that she claimed to be Indian.

The rest of your post is drivel that doesn't deserve a response.
Hardly.

Back
Top Bottom