• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Was Jesus a jerk?

Here is Waton
Where? Did he create a user account here, do that we can discuss his ideas directly with him, and persuade him of why he's wrong?

Or are you hiding behind his alleged authority, cutting and pasting his words to avoid the consequences of actually engaging in discussion about them?

The priestly law exists to give form and order to the prophetic revolutionary insight. Make no mistake, however: the prophetic insight is primordial, and the priestly law is its servant.

I know nothing about Waton outside your quotes.

But, frankly, I'm unimpressed.
Tom
Feeling's mutual, bud.

Really?
Waton has an opinion about me?

Please share.
Tom
You embody his depiction of the reactionary priest as opposed to the revolutionary prophet.
Odd how a prophet of a long established God could be "revolutionary".

Here is Waton
Where? Did he create a user account here, do that we can discuss his ideas directly with him, and persuade him of why he's wrong?

Or are you hiding behind his alleged authority, cutting and pasting his words to avoid the consequences of actually engaging in discussion about them?
I'd love nothing more than to discuss his ideas.

Curious, isn't it?
Yes. Of course.
Jesus could cure the sick, but he couldn't cure sickness.

He could heal the blind, but not eliminate blindness.
Many people laud Jesus as a wonderful man because he cured people presumably out of love and compassion. However, I don't think that love and compassions were really his motives. From John we read:
9 As he walked along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” 3 Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God’s works might be revealed in him.
So Jesus's cruel father created a man blind from birth just so that Jesus could show off his powers!

Sick--very, very sick!

Faith healing, potions, magic spells and such probaly go back to the beginng of human civilation.

Potions to grow your hair back and keep your penis hard. Beauty potions for women.

There was absolutely nothing new about Jesus, even among the historical Jewish prophets.

There is a line form the 60s-70s comedy group Firesign Theater.

'Give them a light and they will follow it anywhere.'

Case in point Fresign Theater itself. They played to the stoned crowd who found meaning in nonsense. People still find meaning in Dylan;s incoherent lyrics.

Reactionaries hate Jesus because he was revolutionary. Common people and the spiritually enlightened love him.
You could (and many do) say the exact same thing about Harry Potter.

Fictional characters can be just as polarising as real people.
We'll see how dear Harry's doing in two millennia.

Harry doesn't offer the promise of eternal life or the threat of damnation for not complying. Desire and fear. Reward and threat.

Was Jesus a jerk to the fig tree he cursed?
Ask Jesus. I understand he had conversations with it.

Mark 11:12-14...

More of a curse than a conversation...Jesus was hungry...It was out of season, so there were no figs available, so Jesus cursed the tree, and the tree died shortly...

https://thefruitgrove.com/11-reasons-your-fig-tree-isnt-fruiting-and-what-to-do/

https://fertilizerpick.com/when-do-fig-trees-produce-fruit/

To curse the tree is never the appropriate thing to do...

Last edited:
Reactionaries hate Jesus because he was revolutionary. Common people and the spiritually enlightened love him.

Harry doesn't offer the promise of eternal life or the threat of damnation for not complying. Desire and fear. Reward and threat.
That's why Harry is for infants and the Bible is for grown-ups. The law of equivalents: every action entails an opposite and equal reaction. Karma, baby, she's a bitch.

Was Jesus a jerk to the fig tree he cursed?
Ask Jesus. I understand he had conversations with it.

Mark 11:12-14...

More of a curse than a conversation...Jesus was hungry...It was out of season, so there were no figs available, so Jesus cursed the tree, and the tree died shortly...

https://thefruitgrove.com/11-reasons-your-fig-tree-isnt-fruiting-and-what-to-do/

https://fertilizerpick.com/when-do-fig-trees-produce-fruit/

To curse the tree is never the appropriate thing to do...
You'd think you might want to check Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursing_of_the_fig_tree

Yea, Mosaic Law. Those wonderful prohibitions and punishments.

The thing is, both Moses and Jesus were primitive. Not evil or anything, just ethically and scientifically and socially primitive.
Making comparisons between the 'Mosaic laws' and the 'modern world'... (instead of comparing the Mosaic laws to the other ancient cultural beliefs and practices during the same time period), is a flawed, out-of-context approach to assessing differences in moralities. If you think "morality is better today" then you're in error, imo, because..through the human emotional senses of the ancient world, and through our human emotional senses of today, they are exactly the same! The same reactions and actions to emotions then, as it is now.

Science in the modern world doesn't make you anymore ethical, IOW. To hint such a suggestion is absurd, if not disingenuous (not you directly).

Because they lived thousands of years ago and were products of their times.Modern secular Humanism is vastly better, just like modern medicine and democracy and information technology and such are better.
The above portrays a logic that says: Modern is better than the whole of the ancient world, and not just the Ancient Hebrews.

One could ask then: Who do YOU think was morally better amongst the cultural beliefs and practices of the ancient times?
Moses and Jesus and similar folks did the best they could with what they had.

Judging them by modern standards is unreasonable.
Tom

With what they had, counter-measures were made for the times - introducing :commandments' for a harsh environment, going against those who murder, lies, steal, worship and sacrifice humans to idols, and all the other harmful depravities!

Jesus teachings still applies today - because compassion for our neighbours and enemies don't go out of date!

Last edited:

That's why Harry is for infants and the Bible is for grown-ups. The law of equivalents: every action entails an opposite and equal reaction. Karma, baby, she's a bitch.

Does Eternal Damnation relate to Karma?

Absolutely. Those who refuse to advance themselves spiritually are quarantined. Fuck around and find out.

Christianity has a long, well documented, and very ugly history of being weaponized.

I don't think adding to that history is at all morally defensible.
Tom

Absolutely. Those who refuse to advance themselves spiritually are quarantined. Fuck around and find out.

Christianity has a long, well documented, and very ugly history of being weaponized.

Tom

This is war. It is a choice: sink into barbarism with your atheist materialism and decadent capitalism, or resist and rise to individual moral autonomy and the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth, aka global Jewish communism.

Tom

This is war. It is a choice: sink into barbarism with your atheist materialism and decadent capitalism, or resist and rise to individual moral autonomy and the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth, aka global Jewish communism.

Thanks for being upfront about your evil tendencies. So many folks like you hide their intentions behind a facade of magnanimity.

So, you're declaring war on me because I find your version of Christianity appalling. As a gay man and cultural Catholic, living in conservative Protestant Trumpistan, I'm accustomed to people like you. I deal with it every day. At least now I know enough about you and Waton to have a firm opinion.

And you can stick Waton where the sun don't shine.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom