• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Made a turkey-spinach-tomato frittata this morning for breakfast, along with a "fruit medley" (melon, pineapple, berries). It serves four, so the Missus and I save half of it to have for dinner in a couple of days, served with salad.

My weight has been creeping up as I have been indulging in my weaknesses- soft fresh white bread, custard tarts etc. so today it’s back to basics.

For fruit break, it will be a banana. First lunch is a pastrami beef (40g) sandwich on my soft white bread, second lunch will be a grapefruit. Dinner tonight will be a serving of fish fillets baked in the oven, and tomato and cucumber on crackers. Maybe ice cream (low fat) if there is room in my calorie count. I am planning on around 5000kj, or roughly 1200 calories.

I am eating my daily Sumo orange.

If you don't know what a Sumo orange is, it was bred in Japan from mandarin oranges. It is exceptionally large and has a thick skin that easily peels (generally you can peel it in one piece). It is incredibly sweet with no bitterness. Plus it has all the goodies (calcium, vitamin C etc.) of a regular orange. Drawbacks: it is only available from December through April. Also, because they are delicate and have to be hand picked, they are expensive ($3.99 /pound, which comes out to about $2.00 apiece, because they are so large). I don't care. I am addicted to them.

Why are they called "Sumo" oranges? I don't know for sure. Perhaps it's because they're fat and juicy. Perhaps it's because they have "top knots" like a Sumo wrestler (often much more pronounced than the one in my picture.

Sumo.png

Stouffer's veggie lasagna for dinner. Didn't feel like cooking tonight.
Homemade lasagna w/Italian bread.
Mrs. Elixir makes huge batches, cuts up whatever is left after the initial feast into single servings and freezes them. I swear, the frozen is even better than the first time!

Why are they called "Sumo" oranges? I don't know for sure. Perhaps it's because they're fat and juicy. Perhaps it's because they have "top knots" like a Sumo wrestler (often much more pronounced than the one in my picture.
You got it in one. The name is an invention of the California citrus industry, so they were likely looking for something their customers would recognize and be able to pronounce. They're called Dekopon (basically "bump oranges") back in Japan.

Lots of legumes. The pescetarian diet is slowly but surely becoming vegetarian. I'm finding it's a real mental shift to say I'm never going to eat meat again, but I'm definitely losing my taste for seafood.

So lots of rice, beans, plants, spice. Also more eggs and dairy, more out of necessity than desire.

Noodles with spinach and mushrooms. Eight ounces of noodles with a bit of butter to keep them from sticking, two bunches of spinach, and a container of mushrooms. Not all in one sitting.

Over the past few weeks I've been going for the "near vegan" diet. My body is telling me if I plan on going into my sixties at 235lbs at 72", not to plan on staying there for very long.

I know from my initial foray into a vegan diet, I was heavily dependent on carbs. Last time I lost twenty pounds and just stayed there. This time I'm cutting the carbs by almost half and doubling up on the vegetables. It's working so far. I could even take the recipes a bit further. And they're all going that way. Fish burrito recipe is now 2/3 a cup of brown rice, two cans of black beans, and a pound of salmon.

I'm keeping it "near vegan" so as to keep it sustainable. Since oatmeal and I have had to permanently parted ways (I hate you with every fiber of my being), I'll be keeping the morning ham&egg bagel, switching it up with a peanut butter bagel every other day. And fish is sticking around (no pun intended) specifically, salmon.

Stouffer's was the Cadillac of frozen foods. During my teen years, my mom worked at Stouffer's in Solon, OH. She used to bring home all sorts of good stuff. No one complained mom wasn't cooking much anymore. I don't know how she took it. I'm thinking it was a win/win for everyone.

I guess we are having a ham. My wife makes a huge secular deal out of Easter. My parents gave up the Easter basked then I was still a kid. Making a big deal out of Easter odd to me but since it's religion-free, I don't mind.

We've been eating in restaurants at least once a day since my mom died in February. Today we are eating at home and I had the worst frozen dinner ever for lunch. It looked good on the cover of the box, but looks can be deceiving.
Stouffer's was the Cadillac of frozen foods. During my teen years, my mom worked at Stouffer's in Solon, OH. She used to bring home all sorts of good stuff. No one complained mom wasn't cooking much anymore. I don't know how she took it. I'm thinking it was a win/win for everyone.
I used to eat Lean Cuisines almost everyday for lunch. I'd take one to work with some fresh vegetables and steam them in the microwave, then put them on a plate. It almost looked like a home cooked meal, but to be honest, Mr. Sohy is an excellent cook, so those dinners are less appealing these days, but I still have a few favorites. My mom was a terrible cook but she could make a good cake. No surprise that I love cake.

There is a restaurant in our town that has extremely affordable tasty food. The menu includes vegetarian, Italian, Greek, burgers, stir fry, a large variety of sandwiches etc. For 6.50 or 7.50, one can get a huge sandwich and a tasty side. Sometimes I order 3 sides. A baked potato, steamed broccoli and Coleslaw total 7.50. Some of Amy's frozen vegan dinners are that much in some of the local stores, so we ate at that restaurant 3 times this week. I could almost eat there everyday and spend about the same as we do by eating at home. Since we order water to drink, that saves us about 6 bucks and it's healthier than soft drinks.

The owner is Mexican and I'm beginning to wonder if most of his staff are undocumented workers because most of them can't speak more than a few words of English. That doesn't matter to me but I hope he treats them well. He seems too nice not to treat them well and they seem happy, but I digress.

I guess we are having a ham. My wife makes a huge secular deal out of Easter. My parents gave up the Easter basked then I was still a kid. Making a big deal out of Easter odd to me but since it's religion-free, I don't mind.
I think my son's family is making a big deal out of Easter, but he has two preteen children and his in laws are mostly non practicing Christians who are coming to his home. Any excuse to get together and eat a nice meal sounds like a good plan to me. I'm just being extremely lazy today, which is also a good plan imo.

I think my son's family is making a big deal out of Easter, but he has two preteen children and his in laws are mostly non practicing Christians who are coming to his home. Any excuse to get together and eat a nice meal sounds like a good plan to me. I'm just being extremely lazy today, which is also a good plan imo.

My crazyfingers handle is at least partly due to tpyos.

We had roast pork again yesterday. I don’t mind cooking it up on a Sunday. I then use the remainder for Bilby’s sandwiches for the first three days of the week, and use it instead of bacon for other things. Works for me!

Tonight we are having rissoles.. proper butchers ones. I will bake them in the oven for around 40 minutes on 180C. I will do a potato, mushroom, roast pork bake, and a cob of corn, wrapped in alfoil. All done in the oven. :)

Fresh ground coffee and a warm bagel with peanut butter. or a cold rainy day.

Back
Top Bottom