• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What has conservatism given America?

@thebeave
Could you explain whether or not that last post was intended to be relevant to mine?
If so, in what way?
Tom

That you're neither conservative nor progressive & maybe you're just weird? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's my guess.

@thebeave
Could you explain whether or not that last post was intended to be relevant to mine?
If so, in what way?
Tom

That you're neither conservative nor progressive & maybe you're just weird? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's my guess.

Yeah, "nuanced but bitchy centrist", doesn't fit in the modern polarized world very well.

You know what's especially ironic about The Wall and it's evangelical Christian supporters?
According to the Gospels, God Himself came down from heaven and said "What you do for the least you do for Me!" If poor folks from the 3rd world don't qualify as "the least", I don't know who does.

People who want that Wall are not conservative or Christian. Plain as that.
Tom

I tend to agree that the term conservative has no meaning these days. Why would conservatives want to lower taxes on the wealthy, when historically, at least in most of my lifetime, the wealthy paid a higher percentage of taxes than they do today? How is lowering taxes on the wealthy conservative, other than conserving the money of the rich? :p Wouldn't it be better to keep tax rates high enough to keep the deficit from getting out of control and/or to conserve the programs like SS and Medicare that so many people have depended on for their survival, since FDR and LBJ? Or is better to let older and disabled people become homeless, unless of course they are wealthy? Then again, the US was never met to be a classless nation, so maybe conservative want to conserve the lower classes.;)

Nixon started the EPA. One would think that conservatives would want to conserve the environment that we all depend on for life, along with all other animals. But, today, those who call themselves conservatives have no problem over using carbon based sources of energy. Conservatives complain about hot weather, but instead of trying to conserve the environment, they turn down the A/C and pretend that the climate isn't changing based on our over use of things that harm the environment.

And, btw, while most liberals say they believe in human influenced climate change, they are part of the problem too. They often travel by air, for example, and they don't want those cleaner sources of energy in their backyards, any more than they want that low income housing in their backyards. I just read about an uproar in liberal New England concerning the opposition to putting sources of wind power and solar power anywhere near their precious little piece of land. And, they wonder why so many working class whites, criticize hypocritical progressives, and are easily manipulated by people like the powerful cult leader who is going to be tried for multiple crimes. To them, he's a savior, most likely because he's learned to manipulate them by giving them lots of attention while not actually giving a shit about them.

One would think that conservatives would also want to conserve water, but large farms are using up water at a rate that may leave us without enough water to grow enough food for our survival or to have enough water for drinking and bathing. For that matter, most of us probably use more water than necessary.

I could rant more, but the point is that the term conservative is meaningless now, but liberals aren't innocent either when it comes to conservation etc. In fact, a lot of why the poor white underclass, once referred to as "White Trash" among the British elite hundreds of years ago, never had any desire to create a classless society, is likely at least part of the reason why so many of the white working class, were attracted to their cult leader, although based on what I read in the AJC earlier today, people from all classes still support Trump. Sadly, I even know of some Black folks who have become Trump supporters. They don't understand that inflation has been a global issue or how increased consumer spending has impacted it, along with many other factors. They don't realize that global inflation is much worse than it is in the US. But, it's complicated and would take a book to describe why we are in this situation.

Regardless, whatever term we want to call today's Republicans, they are the biggest threat to our country. And, it's not going to be easy to change that as long as there is so much divisiveness and. hatred.

fascism

făsh′ĭz″əm

noun​

1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator,
Lets weaponize the law with the FBI to get rid of another political opponent.

1. a capitalist economy subject to stringent governmental controls,
Lets make sure we direct Twitter and other Facebook monopolies cancel what we do not want the public to hear
  1. violent suppression of the opposition
Make sure Jan 6 dissenters never come out of prison again. Turm BLM loose on anyone who isn't in our tribe.
  1. , and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
White men are discriminated from colleges and jobs.

This sounds exactly like the present Democrat party to me... A new woke religion for society to worship instead of Christianity.

I agree with Tom C, what was the Democrat party was in the past....aint what it is today.

I think this is appropriate here.

He starts out saying he was against the Viet Nam war.....ok. Then he says the right has gone much further right because they are the party of war? Who started the war in Ukraine? Who wants to end that war? Talk about cognitive dissonance reached to a new level..... My head is spinning with all this bull shit. Who is the POTUS who just got his ass handed to him by the people of Maui for NOT giving a shit about them and clearing the way for more billions to Ukraine?

Just to be clear it is obvious both sides favor the military complex but it is the Democrats who are much more on board with war today.

fascism

făsh′ĭz″əm

noun​

1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator,

Lets make sure we direct Twitter and other Facebook monopolies cancel what we do not want the public to hear
Make sure Jan 6 dissenters never come out of prison again. Turm BLM loose on anyone who isn't in our tribe.

This sounds exactly like the present Democrat party to me... A new woke religion for society to worship instead of Christianity.

I agree with Tom C, what was the Democrat party was in the past....aint what it is today.
Donald Trump is being prosecuted for, among other things, election interference. Anyone who did what he did should be charged and prosecuted. Regardless of political party or office.

HE is the one who was committing crimes for political gain and personal gain.

I’m sorry that so far you have not seemed to find a flavor of Kool Aid that you will not gulp down with gusto.

I agree with Tom C, what was the Democrat party was in the past....aint what it is today
I agree.
The Democrats used to be progressives, by and large. The Republicans were conservative.

That's all changed in the last few decades. Now, the Democrats are the conservatives and the Republicans are the progressives.
Tom

Russianpublicans are not anti-war but instead pro-Putin.

As far as the thread topic, I'd amend it to Aside from comedy, what else has conservatism given America?

"Lock her up" ring a bell? If you are referring to Mr. Trump's federal legal issues, are you seriously claiming that political candidates are above the law?

What are you referring to?
"Dissenters"? None of the insurrectionists have received a life without parole sentence. And what is the BLM reference for?
[/QUOTE]
What are you referring to?

Who is the POTUS who just got his ass handed to him by the people of Maui for NOT giving a shit about them and clearing the way for more billions to Ukraine?

There is no such POTUS.

The fact that you believe that there is such a POTUS is testament to how little you know about America.
Tom

Who is the POTUS who just got his ass handed to him by the people of Maui for NOT giving a shit about them and clearing the way for more billions to Ukraine?

There is no such POTUS.

The fact that you believe that there is such a POTUS is testament to how little you know about America.
Tom
In the RW echo chamber, dark Brandon just did things infinitely worse than attacking democracy, stealing national secrets, and killing over a million Americans with misinformation. All of which were done by the guy favored by @RVonse

Republicans are a danger to themselves and, unfortunately, everyone else.

I wouldn't describe it as 'weaponizing the law' – after all, the law inherently holds power. Rather, I believe the federal government lacked the evidence to substantiate their claims. The situation with state government, which operates largely independently from the federal level, may be a different matter. ;)

I've heard something about this, but I haven't delved into it deeply, primarily because the claims come from Republicans, whose track record on honesty has raised concerns for me in the past.

You might observe that no one was handed a life sentence for the events of January 6th, even though there was a death at the scene. In many urban communities, if one's actions even indirectly contribute to someone's death, they can be held responsible, even if law enforcement was the one taking lethal action. Quite thought-provoking, isn't it?

Regarding the perception of BLM targeting those outside of 'our tribe', I'd suggest reframing your perspective. Rather than seeing yourself as distinct from Black individuals, try understanding their experiences. You might realize that the core principle behind BLM is not about opposing you.

Oh, welcome to the club! Took you long enough, didn't it? We've been in this game for centuries over here.

You might observe that no one was handed a life sentence for the events of January 6th, even though there was a death at the scene. In many urban communities, if one's actions even indirectly contribute to someone's death, they can be held responsible, even if law enforcement was the one taking lethal action. Quite thought-provoking, isn't it?

It depends on who is doing the thinking.

He starts out saying he was against the Viet Nam war.....ok. Then he says the right has gone much further right because they are the party of war? Who started the war in Ukraine? Who wants to end that war? Talk about cognitive dissonance reached to a new level..... My head is spinning with all this bull shit. Who is the POTUS who just got his ass handed to him by the people of Maui for NOT giving a shit about them and clearing the way for more billions to Ukraine?

Just to be clear it is obvious both sides favor the military complex but it is the Democrats who are much more on board with war today.

This tells me you didn't actually watch the video, just pretending you did.

No where in the video is the above bolded ever said, not even close, which makes the rest of your rant bullshit.

fascism

făsh′ĭz″əm

noun​

White men being discriminated against by employers? Then why do white men have such low unemployment rates?

Asian Americans have the highest college education completion rates followed whites. For some years, women have been the majority of students at 4 year colleges but there is no evidence that this is fir to discrimination against males rather than males having better access to middle class wages jobs ( such as trades) compared with women. I would also like to see a closer ratio of men: women obtaining college degrees. I’m not certain why the disparity but afaik, men are not being rejected in favor of women students.

No where in the video is the above bolded ever said, not even close, which makes the rest of your rant bullshit.
Sure, but that’s not the point. The point is, there’s lots more where that came from!
Saw poor Andrea Mitchell trying to talk to Vivek this AM. There’s no reasoning with or even responding to these guys. They can only offer wave after wave of made up Trumpsucking bullshit. Utterly ignored anything Andrea tried to say, and simply continued in rapid fire nonstop “lalalala I can’t hear you!” delivery.

Who started the war in Ukraine?

Russia.

Who wants to end that war?

Your mean Republicans who want to give Ukraine to Putin because their Orange Golem admires the Russian dictator and wants to be like him?

Who is the POTUS who just got his ass handed to him by the people of Maui for NOT giving a shit about them

The peoople of Maui did nothing of the kind. This is another lie of the Right-Wing Hate Machihe that you mainline like a junkie mainlines heroin.

Since the U.S. is not fighting a war anywhere in the world today, this is nonsense. The last three U.S. wars (Iraq, Afghanistan, Persian Gulf) were initiated by Republican presidents.

Do we really need the silly debate about who or what deserves the conservative or liberal label? We all know who both sides are.
I think we do because these days, what most people who call themselves conservatives actually are is fascists. As well as ignorant, racist, sexist, homophobic hypocrites. That’s not a political leaning, that’s a raft of moral failures.
I am glad you managed to get your all prejudices into a single sentence.
When you throw out a comment like that I have to ask - Have you ever met a fascist or is a fascist just someone who dares disagree with you?

What do you think they are if they want a government with centralized authority and violent suppression of opposition? What would you call them? That’s what Trump calls for, that’s what his unwavering base of support echoes the call for.

fascism

făsh′ĭz″əm

noun​

1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, a capitalist economy subject to stringent governmental controls, violent suppression of the opposition, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
  2. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
  3. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

Lock ‘em up
Build a wall
Ban the books
Jail the abortionists
Shoot the suspect
Call the opposition traitors and tell them to leave the country
Wave the huge flags
Thump your chest
Protect the wealthy
Suppress (or jail) the gender fluid and non-conforming
Arm the teachers
Close the borders
America First
Glorify the military and police
Crush the Unions
Suppress the votes of the minorities

What do you call them?
Authoritarians, communists, opportunists, fascists, populists etc. The list is extensive.

Back
Top Bottom