• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What would make you religious?

Unknown Soldier: Look, the poopooheads are flagrantly breaking rules! They are using insults. The biased moderators don't care because they are in the suicide cult, too!
Ah--so we are not quite as blind as it appeared.

You are demonstrating your pattern of picking the cherries you think will prove your point and ignoring the others that don't. I can only tell you so many times that you ought to correct this pattern as it is unscientific.

Unknown Soldier: These poopooheads keep doing it. I know the biased moderators are going to ban me soon, just like at countless other sites for speaking truth to poopooheads. This proves I am right and I am willing to sacrifice myself. Just like Jesus.
I don't know about Jesus, but I have been banned from more boards than I can remember. For example, check out Was Jesus a real guy? , a thread I started which I did not survive. I was "Jagella" at that time and board.

You are changing the subject. You do "know about Jesus" because here's what you wrote at CARM:
Unknown Soldier said:
Wear it as a badge of honor, ... I've been banned from more forums than I can remember. In each case I think I did the right thing. And wasn't Jesus punished for doing the right thing?

After being on these forms for a decade and a half: yes, a lot of atheists have religious beliefs.

No, atheism is not inherently religious, and yes, those in organized religions are WAY worse. But atheists are, many of us, religious believers in things for all they try to avoid it.

This is not, as @Unknown Soldier seems to imply, a belief in a god. Oftentimes this finds it's form in things like "fatalism/hard determinism" and shit like "faith in the free market", and religious acceptance of all kinds of secular, but inaccurate, beliefs.

For the longest time, for instance, we had a member whose primary religious belief was one wherein they believed that certain biological facts necessitated certain other biological facts (that tissue in one place meant a particular condition of tissue in another place). They believed this so vociferously that their proselytizing got them banned.

And let's not look past the religious beliefs many have surrounding a particular orange Ali Express Antichrist.

Religion doesn't need to be about God, and can be about anything really, pretty much anything that is accepted because someone said so and respect of people rather than because the universe does so, and the respect of reality being what it is.

Yes, @Unknown Soldier, people here have beliefs, at least generally speaking. At least we generally try to root them up when they are adequately identified to us?

Threads like this give me hope for humanity because it supposes people to have much more philosophical depth than they exhibit in daily life. Most religions, especially those which need a paid staff have very low requirements for any kind of actual action. Other than saying the right thing at the right time, the rest of consists of sitting in the right place, standing at the right time, and occasionally waiting in line.

For the longest time, for instance, we had a member whose primary religious belief was one wherein they believed that certain biological facts necessitated certain other biological facts (that tissue in one place meant a particular condition of tissue in another place). They believed this so vociferously that their proselytizing got them banned.

Feeling fairly confident that I know exactly who you're referring to...

Watching the two of you go at it was like watching a bishop and imam go at it in a grudge match.
Tom

I don't know about Jesus, but I have been banned from more boards than I can remember. For example, check out Was Jesus a real guy? , a thread I started which I did not survive. I was "Jagella" at that time and board.
I've been a member of many forums. I vaguely remember Jagella from a few.

Ya know. Sometimes when it seems that everyone dislikes you, the problem isn't "everyone".
Tom

Was he on Stormfront?
I don't remember any particular forums.
Jag was quite forgetably trollish, in my vague memories.
Tom

De%20La%20Noval.jpg

Ya know. Sometimes when it seems that everyone dislikes you, the problem isn't "everyone".
Tom
I don't care who likes me. I care about the truth. And it seems that there is an inverse relationship between the two.

But frankly, I do not have the slightest clue what your thesis is. You seem to argue that "atheists" want, need or already have some sort of "religion." But there must be more (or less) to it than that.

Could you be kind enough to compose a paragraph summarizing your thesis. You know, the sort of paragraph Ms. McNulty taught us to write in 11th-grade English, with a clear introductory sentence, and so on?

Thank you.
Why are you making this so difficult? Why would I need a thesis to ask a simple question? If you don't know what might make you religious, then I don't think I can help you.

You're right. I should say that the responses I get are fallacious.
It's the sort of thing I'd expect from you.

But no, you shouldn't say that unless your goal is to kid yourself. You aren't kidding most of us.
Tom
Here's the way the dialog is going here at IIDB:

Unknown Soldier: I discern some logical, factual, and ethical difficulties in the argumentation coming from many of the atheists on this board.
The Religious Atheists: Unknown 'Sewer' (heh heh heh) you're a G_d d__ned piece of s__t from your mother's c__t, and you better watch yer back!!!
Unknown Soldier: That's an unkind thing to say.
Tom: (shrieking with anger while pulling much hair from his head) US, how dare you try to deceive us with more of your s__t! You are a t__t and a p___y and a sack of p__s!! You need psychological help!!!

US, stick to the thread topic (and stop misrepresenting others).

I've read the whole thread, and the only person who has used this sort of language is yourself, in that ^ post.

And you were too mealy mouthed to use the actual swear words.

Try arguing your position in good faith. You might enjoy it.

You're right. I should say that the responses I get are fallacious.
It's the sort of thing I'd expect from you.

But no, you shouldn't say that unless your goal is to kid yourself. You aren't kidding most of us.
Tom
Here's the way the dialog is going here at IIDB:

Unknown Soldier: I discern some logical, factual, and ethical difficulties in the argumentation coming from many of the atheists on this board.
The Religious Atheists: Unknown 'Sewer' (heh heh heh) you're a G_d d__ned piece of s__t from your mother's c__t, and you better watch yer back!!!
Unknown Soldier: That's an unkind thing to say.
Tom: (shrieking with anger while pulling much hair from his head) US, how dare you try to deceive us with more of your s__t! You are a t__t and a p___y and a sack of p__s!! You need psychological help!!!

US, stick to the thread topic (and stop misrepresenting others).

I've read the whole thread, and the only person who has used this sort of language is yourself, in that ^ post.

And you were too mealy mouthed to use the actual swear words.
Welcome to Banned Land.

But frankly, I do not have the slightest clue what your thesis is. You seem to argue that "atheists" want, need or already have some sort of "religion." But there must be more (or less) to it than that.

Could you be kind enough to compose a paragraph summarizing your thesis. You know, the sort of paragraph Ms. McNulty taught us to write in 11th-grade English, with a clear introductory sentence, and so on?

Thank you.
Why are you making this so difficult? Why would I need a thesis to ask a simple question? If you don't know what might make you religious, then I don't think I can help you.

This reply exposes an astonishing lack of self-awareness.
(1) These forums are mostly "show and tell." Is your game instead "ask and ignore"?
(2) It is VERY clear that your behavior here is NOT that of sincere seeker of truth. When people answer your question you accuse them of lying.
(3) Rather than sincere ignorance -- the usual motive for asking questions -- you are argumentative. You have some idea(s) which you think the rest of us have missed. But I, for one, cannot discern what in bloody hell* your idea(s), if any, are.

I suppose you are proud of your idea(s). Does it also make you proud to keep that idea(s) secret?

As for "what would make ME religious?" I will answer in more detail.
(1) Events which seem to defy the laws of statistics or of physics do occur. But even when one accepts that a supernaturality is real there is no reason to connect that to any particular deity, Abrahamic or not. (In another thread an Infidel seeking to convince us that Jesus worked miracles has instead just increased my skepticism).
(2) Knowing of the "let Jesus into your heart" meme, which I think of as self-hypnosis, I deliberately experienced such once several decades ago. I think I was high on cannabis at the time, and the sensation lasted only about one second. I did feel that, had I been sincere, the experience might have affected me. If self-hypnosis is "religion", then perhaps I understand why many others become "religious" even if I don't.
(3) For emphasis -- and to hint at you, U.S., how exasperating "discussion" with you can be -- I used the phrase "bloody hell" above. Are you going to claim that this proves I am "religious"? :cool:

After being on these forms for a decade and a half: yes, a lot of atheists have religious beliefs.
. . .
Religion doesn't need to be about God, and can be about anything really, pretty much anything that is accepted because someone said so and respect of people rather than because the universe does so, and the respect of reality being what it is.

Some "debates" here arise simply due to disagreement about the meaning of words. Scrabble™ players have their Official Scrabble™ Lexicon. Has IIDB chosen a specific dictionary for arbitrations?
Google said:
re·li·gion
(religion: Click for North American pronunciation)
/rəˈlij(ə)n/
noun
noun: religion

the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.

Some cognitive aberrations sometimes referred to as "religions" do NOT involve worship of a superhuman power. Even Prof. T. Swizzle, PhD -- distinguished climatologist -- uses "cult" rather than "religion" to describe those who believe in "climate."*

I do agree that there is excess cult worship here at IIDB. I'd begin such a discussion with the unfathomable reverence paid to the nincompoop Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD.

* - Yes I know Dr. Swizzle does claim to believe in "climate." Ain't you atheists ever heared of sarcasm?

(Caveat: The machine which runs the 'oggify' program is NOT the one on which I currently compose IIDB posts. I've used IIDB's own Preview buffer to transfer text from one machine to the other. Sorry if the message was thereby screwed up.)

Back
Top Bottom