• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

And why is that a problem? Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery.
Paying homage is one thing. Plagiarizing is another. And as Shadowy Man noted, that "issue" was one of its least problems.

Where Star Wars is creative and shines in it's uniqueness is in it's set design, creature design and costumes.
Yes... 30 to 40 years ago, it was unique. And the original trilogy, minus the Ewoks, will remain unique.
That's why the prequels suck. He didn't have enough talent on-board. Thought he knew the secret sauce. Nope.
Talent? No, it was the story telling and coming up with a viable set of circumstances that would turn Anakin. We never really got there.

I do have one request though. Next time, I hope they don't destroy another Death Star. I think they've milked this baby enough now. They need a new gimmick to blow up.
You think?!

What's your problem with the Ewoks? That's what I want to know.

This has nothing to do with purity, but consistency. VII was just crap. Nobody dies from anything. Becoming a Jedi master is a piece of cake, and flying the speed of light for the first time in a shuttle you've never been in... ever easier. But being able to place a piece of a star map into a larger map, apparently impossible. Oh, and another death star?!
My favourite part was when that stormtrooper dude quit the stormtroopers because his buddy stormtrooper was killed, and of course a short while later he is himself murdering his ex-stormtrooper colleagues like it was nothing.

This has nothing to do with purity, but consistency. VII was just crap. Nobody dies from anything. Becoming a Jedi master is a piece of cake, and flying the speed of light for the first time in a shuttle you've never been in... ever easier. But being able to place a piece of a star map into a larger map, apparently impossible. Oh, and another death star?!
My favourite part was when that stormtrooper dude quit the stormtroopers because his buddy stormtrooper was killed, and of course a short while later he is himself murdering his ex-stormtrooper colleagues like it was nothing.
Which is piled on top of the fact that seeing a stormtrooper die should be quite a common thing for stormtroopers to see. They couldn't take over a Pre-K without losses of around 50%.

There was just too much missing. It was hard to understand the motivations of the characters. They degraded Han Solo's character merely because JJ wanted people to see the loveable rogue back. When the big climax came with Han Solo and Kylo Ren the scene was utterly devoid of emotion because it was the first scene they had together and you had no idea what turned Kylo Ren bad or had any real indication of his internal struggles he implied he had. The Skywalker map McGuffin didn't make much sense because we didn't know why Luke had disappeared nor did we know why they needed him back. JJ wrote this script in just a couple of months and it shows. What was arguably one of the most anticipated screenplays of all time, he gave it the short shrift because he was under schedule pressure and the guy he hired to write the first script wasn't making progress and wanted the movie to be more about the next generation and less about Luke, Han & Leia. You don't have to point to the Ep IV comparisons to see why this story wasn't much good.

There was just too much missing. It was hard to understand the motivations of the characters. They degraded Han Solo's character merely because JJ wanted people to see the loveable rogue back. When the big climax came with Han Solo and Kylo Ren the scene was utterly devoid of emotion because it was the first scene they had together and you had no idea what turned Kylo Ren bad or had any real indication of his internal struggles he implied he had. The Skywalker map McGuffin didn't make much sense because we didn't know why Luke had disappeared nor did we know why they needed him back. JJ wrote this script in just a couple of months and it shows. What was arguably one of the most anticipated screenplays of all time, he gave it the short shrift because he was under schedule pressure and the guy he hired to write the first script wasn't making progress and wanted the movie to be more about the next generation and less about Luke, Han & Leia. You don't have to point to the Ep IV comparisons to see why this story wasn't much good.
I'm waiting to find out Kylo Ren has a twin sister he didn't know about. I won't spoil who I'd think it was. ;)

And to go from one type of film disappointment to just flat out bad movies, I've seen the first two new MST3k films. I will say, they don't do as much inter-movie gag sketches, which I think was a good idea. They take an idea or two and go with it to try and not dilute the funny.

Lizardpuss or Lizardsaurus... something like that
- A Danish strikeout via one swing about a piece of meat discovered during the drilling of a hole. Meat turns into lizard that can obviously rejuvenate. Defeating this beast was hard and stupid. The MST3k treatment is much quicker in pace, and I think it itself can be hit of miss. The hits are definitely there, I think maybe they should have tried to go more for quality than quantity. Regardless, glad I watched it. Film score 1 of 4 / MST3k Score 3 of 4

Cry Wilderness -
Well, this film did a great job of making the previous film at least look coherrent, if not cheezy and low budget. A boy knows Big Foot, and he has a vision of big foot warning him that his Dad is in danger. His dad is a Park Ranger whose job is to walk around the woods and find animals they apparently need to remember to get back to later. The big bad is a sharp shooter guy who apparently wants to kill Big Foot and put him on a traveling display because he thinks he lives in the 19th Century. The acting is poor. The set choices, a bit bizarre as they seem to go from woods to salt lake to foggy woods to snowed in forest within the time of a cut screen.

On the other hand, the good news is, if you like stock footage of animals, you'll get some of that. The MST3k crew did better with this film. Film score 0.5 of 4 / MST3k Score 3.5 of 4

Actually, air to air missiles were a thing before air to air radar guided missiles. One of the things that the germans developed to counter our bombers were the ME110 fighters armed with a battery of unguided missiles which they would fire to break up the bomber formations, making the bombers more vulnerable to other interceptors.

If they were guided missiles, it might be a problem, unless they were infared. Infrared detection existed at the time, but was mostly too cumbrous for battlefield use. (some late german tanks had it) The main obstacles to guided missiles in that period was twofold: lack of small computers to guide it, and the size of the necessary equipment. The Germans experimented with trained pigeons as guidance systems for their V1 missiles, but couldn't get it to work. The Japanese just used people.

In this one, the missile comes up from the ground and then follows the plane as it tries to avoid the missile. I guess it's fair to say that maybe it was supposed to be a heat seeker. But then I'm pretty sure those came sometime around the early to mid 1950s. Also, in the movie, the plane was flying at night. Whatever the case, the movie sucked.

Gotta agree. VII sucked.

And it sucked even more because it didn't have to. It was a movie that had all the money it wanted and could have pushed the release date back a few months in order take the necessary time to write a good script before filming. Another Death Star? Seriously? And one that's equivalent to a 3 gallon shop vac somehow holding 20 gallons of water at that? Fucking lame.

Another thing is that chances can be taken with Star Wars movies because everyone's going to go see it anyway. So do something daring, but keep enough of the stuff people expect to see so that they don't completely empty their bowels into their Star Wars brand diapers.

And to go from one type of film disappointment to just flat out bad movies, I've seen the first two new MST3k films. I will say, they don't do as much inter-movie gag sketches, which I think was a good idea. They take an idea or two and go with it to try and not dilute the funny.

- A Danish strikeout via one swing about a piece of meat discovered during the drilling of a hole. Meat turns into lizard that can obviously rejuvenate. Defeating this beast was hard and stupid. The MST3k treatment is much quicker in pace, and I think it itself can be hit of miss. The hits are definitely there, I think maybe they should have tried to go more for quality than quantity. Regardless, glad I watched it. Film score 1 of 4 / MST3k Score 3 of 4

Cry Wilderness -
Well, this film did a great job of making the previous film at least look coherrent, if not cheezy and low budget. A boy knows Big Foot, and he has a vision of big foot warning him that his Dad is in danger. His dad is a Park Ranger whose job is to walk around the woods and find animals they apparently need to remember to get back to later. The big bad is a sharp shooter guy who apparently wants to kill Big Foot and put him on a traveling display because he thinks he lives in the 19th Century. The acting is poor. The set choices, a bit bizarre as they seem to go from woods to salt lake to foggy woods to snowed in forest within the time of a cut screen.

On the other hand, the good news is, if you like stock footage of animals, you'll get some of that. The MST3k crew did better with this film. Film score 0.5 of 4 / MST3k Score 3.5 of 4

It only gets better from there. I think the new cast really get into a groove around episode 4: Avalanche, starring Rock Hudson and Mia Farrow. I have watched the entire season, and am getting ready to start again this weekend (episode 1 is Reptillicus, BTW). My favorites are probably episodes 6 and 7, Starcrash and The Land that Time Forgot. The latter has a bit of nostalgia factor for me, as The Land that Time Forgot was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

Cry Wilderness -

It only gets better from there. I think the new cast really get into a groove around episode 4: Avalanche, starring Rock Hudson and Mia Farrow. I have watched the entire season, and am getting ready to start again this weekend (episode 1 is Reptillicus, BTW). My favorites are probably episodes 6 and 7, Starcrash and The Land that Time Forgot. The latter has a bit of nostalgia factor for me, as The Land that Time Forgot was one of my favorite movies as a kid.
I saw that the next movie had Rock Hudson. I might be able to get my wife to watch that one with me. She likes the older movies (which I do too). Another movie has Jayne Mansfield too.

I could have swore The Land that Time Forgot was done by MST3k already. Granted, I think that movie had plenty of derivatives done on it, including the "rock climbing" MST3k episode.

I look forward to it getting even better. Saw the third one (name isn't coming to me) and the women are barely dressed and Rob asks what the one lady did to get into the penalty box in the spa. :D

I saw that the next movie had Rock Hudson. I might be able to get my wife to watch that one with me. She likes the older movies (which I do too). Another movie has Jayne Mansfield too.

It's not that old of a movie, and is toward the end of Rock's career. It was a late '70s film, and Rock died in 1985, I think.

I could have swore The Land that Time Forgot was done by MST3k already. Granted, I think that movie had plenty of derivatives done on it, including the "rock climbing" MST3k episode.

That was Lost Continent, and The Land that Time Forgot is actually derivative of that one, as Lost Continent beat it to film by about 25 years.

I've just seen The Edge of Tomorrow. and wonder if any of you knowledgeable people can tell me how the final reset was to what I assume was the previous day and remain consistent with the premises of the movie..

I'm not sure how the reset works at the finale, but I don't think it was the previous day -

When Cruise wakes up in the helicopter at the end, it is after the events at the Louvre, as everyone is celebrating the demise of the aliens.

I'm not sure how the reset works at the finale, but I don't think it was the previous day -

When Cruise wakes up in the helicopter at the end, it is after the events at the Louvre, as everyone is celebrating the demise of the aliens.

it is indeed the previous day - it's from the beginning of the movie when he's flying to the office of the general to be assigned to go to the war, and everyone is celebrating because the aliens just up and all died off.

it's completely inconsistent with the rest of the film, and actually reminded me a lot of the movie 'source code' - a vaguely similar sci-fi premise that also ended in a way that completely violated everything established in the entirety of the film in order to give it a schmaltzy happy ending.

Logan
10/10

Very good movie and a fitting goodbye to Hugh Jackman's version of character. Interesting to see who's the next guy they get to play Wolverine. I particularly liked how bleak this movie is for mutants in general and Logan in particular. Almost nothing goes his way, and he just fucks things up when he gets involved. It's really refreshing to see heroes in movies that are flawed, and not just in "I'm a thousand year old vampire and it's so sad to live forever boo hoo" kind of fake flaws, but folks who are dying or losing their minds and unintentionally killing the ones they love. Also, Daphne Keen is the best kid actor in an action movie since Kick Ass. But her coup the grâce surprisingly isn't the action, it's the final scene where she... okay you'll see.

Only problem with this movie that I can see is, why would the baddies put adamantium skeleton on a kid? Her bones and body are still growing. Wouldn't the adamantium rip her body into shreds in a few years, or at least stunt her growth, making X-23 into a some sort of hunch-backed circus-freak? Makes you wonder if this is really the X-23 from the comics, or an origin story for Wolverine's canadian sidekick Puck?

it is indeed the previous day - it's from the beginning of the movie when he's flying to the office of the general to be assigned to go to the war, and everyone is celebrating because the aliens just up and all died off.

it's completely inconsistent with the rest of the film, and actually reminded me a lot of the movie 'source code' - a vaguely similar sci-fi premise that also ended in a way that completely violated everything established in the entirety of the film in order to give it a schmaltzy happy ending.

You're right - it is supposed to be the prior day! I looked around for some explanations but none were really satisfying or consistent - the best I could determine was:

1) After defeating the Omega, Cruise absorbs the Omegas blood, giving him the time-reset ability again
2) However, for some reason the collapse of the Mimics now occurs before the events of the Movie's initial time line, even though the events that caused the Mimics collapse occurred several hours later. This is the part that doesn't make sense to me.
3) given #2 - Cruise resets to the last time he gained consciousness. Since the Mimics are defeated, he never has the confrontation that ends up with him getting knocked out and sent to join the invasion force. His wake up in the helicopter was his new reset point.

eh- still enjoyed the movie other wise.

Logan
10/10

Very good movie and a fitting goodbye to Hugh Jackman's version of character. Interesting to see who's the next guy they get to play Wolverine. I particularly liked how bleak this movie is for mutants in general and Logan in particular. Almost nothing goes his way, and he just fucks things up when he gets involved. It's really refreshing to see heroes in movies that are flawed, and not just in "I'm a thousand year old vampire and it's so sad to live forever boo hoo" kind of fake flaws, but folks who are dying or losing their minds and unintentionally killing the ones they love. Also, Daphne Keen is the best kid actor in an action movie since Kick Ass. But her coup the grâce surprisingly isn't the action, it's the final scene where she... okay you'll see.

Only problem with this movie that I can see is, why would the baddies put adamantium skeleton on a kid? Her bones and body are still growing. Wouldn't the adamantium rip her body into shreds in a few years, or at least stunt her growth, making X-23 into a some sort of hunch-backed circus-freak? Makes you wonder if this is really the X-23 from the comics, or an origin story for Wolverine's canadian sidekick Puck?

They didn't say in the movies, but in the comic books, the adamantium is[ent]hellip[/ent]

[ent]hellip[/ent]only on her claws, so her claws will be undersized when she grows up.

The fact that she doesn't have it on her bones makes her lighter, which is why she does a lot more acrobatic moves than Logan.

The best thing about Logan? The movie version of that character finally feels like the comic book.

King Arthur - Legend of the Sword 1 / 10

Umm ... Wut?

This was the most incoherent piece of drivel I've seen in a long time. I'm fairly certain that the writer and the director never once talked to each other and nobody bothered to reconcile the different visions of the film. Then the editor was a dyslexic guy on crack who was just randomly pressing buttons to put scenes together.

They half went for a gangster movie and half went for a fantasy movie and the two halves didn't mesh at all, despite often being mixed together in the same scene. The scenes were then cutting back and forth to each other and finishing up one part twenty minutes after another scene was running. Also there are a lot if flashbacks and they flashed back to one scene and shows the same thing ten times over.

The only reason I have any idea what the plot of this movie was is that I was previously aware of the King Arthur story and I recognized a couple of items from that randomly interspersed through all the other nonsense that was happening.

Utter crap. If somebody invites you to go see this, punch that asshole in the face.

Back
Top Bottom