• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Both place he used "It's" can be substituted to say it is..........? Where is it improperly used?
Dawn of the Dead (1978)

I hadn't watched this flick in at least 10 years. I saw a Youtube video going on about the remake from 2004. It was okay, and had some solid moments, but it fell flat for me. Anyway, it got me to thinking about the original and how much I loved it when I was a teenager. So I watched it.

Still holds up. It really goes to shit at the end, and of course it's dated. However, it's story progression and the characters are so well developed given the era it was made in and considering the budget.

It's just so much more human than the 2004 remake. It also has an adventure-movie quality to it that's never been matched by any other zombie film.

And the critique of consumerism is far better communicated than in the remake.

8/10

It's [ent]rarr[/ent] contraction of "it is"
Its [ent]rarr[/ent] possessive form of "it"

[/languagenazi]

However, it is story progression

Or

However, its story progression

Which sounds right to you?

Mom and Dad with Nicky Cage. Its an excellent movie with a goofy great premise. Something makes the world's parents want to murder their children so the children have to survive. I came for the goofy Nick cage acting but stayed for the solid themes of generational animosity and resentfulness parents have for their children.

Ahh, I missed that one!!
Both place he used "It's" can be substituted to say it is..........? Where is it improperly used?

However, it is story progression

Or

However, its story progression

Which sounds right to you?

How about

It's (It Is)

It"s(denoting ownership)

If you ask me English is due for another revision anyways. Here's to hoping for words being spelled as they are pronounced and not based on their etymological roots.

The new Blade Runner movie

Didn't think I was going to like it that much. Dug it. This is the kind of movie you just don't see a lot of money spent on anymore; atmosphere, acting, development, intrigue, real emotion. The issues it tackles are done so well as to really defy any reasonable exceptions. That is, that an intelligent thing created by humans is more human than the humans that created it. A good example of this done poorly was in the new Westworld series on HBO. God, what a hunk of shit that was.

Anyway, this one kind of goes to pot a little at the end. Harrison Ford just really wasn't necessary to this story in the slightest and it took away from the movie. I suppose I'm probably missing something from the first movie, but he didn't seem to be needed.

The aesthetics of this movie are so damn good, it's hard to overstate it.

Etcetera. Obviously I thought it was great.

8/10

Mom and Dad with Nicky Cage. Its an excellent movie with a goofy great premise. Something makes the world's parents want to murder their children so the children have to survive. I came for the goofy Nick cage acting but stayed for the solid themes of generational animosity and resentfulness parents have for their children.

I'm a Nick Cage fan, too but I hadn't planned to see this one. On your recommendation, I think I will.

Can I just say that I don't think that the parents of my generation or my parents' generation held any animosity towards their children, although there were conflicts. However, I've thought for some time that our society (American) hates children and at the same time, an unprecedented number of adults want to cling to childhood at the expense of actual children while maintaining their own adult privileges. I don't get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, I missed that one!!

How about

It's (It Is)

It"s(denoting ownership)

If you ask me English is due for another revision anyways. Here's to hoping for words being spelled as they are pronounced and not based on their etymological roots.

No!!!! I LIKE the etymological roots! Plus, if we did that, how would we know who is smart and educated and all of that?

[1]I'm a Nick Cage fan, too but I hadn't planned to see this one. On your recommendation, I think I will.

Can I just say that I don't think that the parents of my generation or my parents' generation held any animosity towards their children, although there were conflicts. However, I've thought for some time that our society (American) hates children and at the same time, an unprecedented number of adults want to cling to childhood at the expense of actual children while maintaining their own adult privileges. I don't get it.

- - - Updated - - -

How about

It's (It Is)

It"s(denoting ownership)

2. No!!!! I LIKE the etymological roots! Plus, if we did that, how would we know who is smart and educated and all of that?

1. The trailer doesn't do it justice. It gives one the impression that wacky nick cage is running around with a knife overacting.

2. I like having consistent rules over being able to flaunt my knowledge of esoteric language conventions, personally. :D

[1]I'm a Nick Cage fan, too but I hadn't planned to see this one. On your recommendation, I think I will.

- - - Updated - - -

How about

It's (It Is)

It"s(denoting ownership)

2. No!!!! I LIKE the etymological roots! Plus, if we did that, how would we know who is smart and educated and all of that?

1. The trailer doesn't do it justice. It gives one the impression that wacky nick cage is running around with a knife overacting.

2. I like having consistent rules over being able to flaunt my knowledge of esoteric language conventions, personally. :D

I am not actually a big fan of history because most of the history I have been taught has focused on wars. However, I do find that I enjoy learning history through learning about the roots of languages, of words, and of their meaning. To me, one of the biggest reasons to learn another language is that one gains insight into one's own language but also insights into the culture of the peoples who used the new language--and your own. It allows one to consider a different way of viewing...everything. And for Americans, I think it is valuable for us to remember that we did not spring fully formed from the earth but instead grew into who and what we are by the coming together of many peoples, and many points of view, many histories and perspectives.

JUMANJI

Funny movie. Great acting but one: Jack Black.

Jack Black plays as Bethany, a girl who will become a middle age male professor.

When Bethany "is" Bethany at the beginning of the movie and at the end, she talks like a teenager girl, but she doesn't talk "sissy". When Bethany is inside the game as a male professor, there is no need to talk "sissy" but Jack Black shows himself as a mediocre actor when he fails imitating "Bethany" as a girl in a different body.

Jack Black pushes the common idea that a woman inside a male body "must talk and act sissy", and that idea is dead wrong.

Besides Jack Black's bad acting, the movie is acceptable, a fantasy of course. Definitively much better than the first movie.

Finally got around to watching The Last Jedi. Overall I liked it. Hell I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977. Even had the bed sheets. But...

I thought they should have let Leia die when the bridge of the cruiser got blown up. That scene of her floating in space, icing up was just so beautiful and sad. More so because Carrie was gone. It would have made everything all that more desperate and hopeless. There could have been a scene where Luke feels that she's gone, which would have made his resolve and ultimate passing more impactful, and would have been in keeping with the "everything old must die" theme. She's dead, Luke's dead, Han's dead, and the new generation of rebels have to make their own way.

When her hands started to gesture I thought "this is it...she's signaling goodbye to Luke" and thought it was going to be the end. Nope. And now there's that loose end for the next film. Are they going to digitally shoehorn her into the movie like they did in Rogue One? I hope not.

The new Blade Runner movie

Didn't think I was going to like it that much. Dug it. This is the kind of movie you just don't see a lot of money spent on anymore; atmosphere, acting, development, intrigue, real emotion. The issues it tackles are done so well as to really defy any reasonable exceptions. That is, that an intelligent thing created by humans is more human than the humans that created it. A good example of this done poorly was in the new Westworld series on HBO. God, what a hunk of shit that was.

Anyway, this one kind of goes to pot a little at the end. Harrison Ford just really wasn't necessary to this story in the slightest and it took away from the movie. I suppose I'm probably missing something from the first movie, but he didn't seem to be needed.

The aesthetics of this movie are so damn good, it's hard to overstate it.

Etcetera. Obviously I thought it was great.

8/10

Also, the protagonist is a white male, Wich automatically makes movies better.

Anyway, I also liked it. Like the first movie, it was actually about stuff. It asked difficult questions, even if reversing the underlying themes makes the original Blade Runner a bad adaptation even if a good movie.

I just don't get where the vitriol came from. I thought it was a worthy and thoughtful successor to a classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got around to watching The Last Jedi. Overall I liked it. Hell I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977. Even had the bed sheets. But...

I thought they should have let Leia die when the bridge of the cruiser got blown up. That scene of her floating in space, icing up was just so beautiful and sad. More so because Carrie was gone. It would have made everything all that more desperate and hopeless. There could have been a scene where Luke feels that she's gone, which would have made his resolve and ultimate passing more impactful, and would have been in keeping with the "everything old must die" theme. She's dead, Luke's dead, Han's dead, and the new generation of rebels have to make their own way.

When her hands started to gesture I thought "this is it...she's signaling goodbye to Luke" and thought it was going to be the end. Nope. And now there's that loose end for the next film. Are they going to digitally shoehorn her into the movie like they did in Rogue One? I hope not.

That would have been better, but wouldn't doing that have required a lot of expensive reshoots?

Ghostbusters
8/10

Funnier than the average SNL-based movie, and the action was halfway decent for an action comedy. It's really too bad that the woman-hating man-babies had to make such a big stink, but almost anything triggers them.

I came in here to thank whoever wrote about Seeking a Friend for the End of the World but can't find the post.

I'd never heard of it but am very glad to have seen it.

Coverfield Paradox -7/10 While this is a great visual movie, there are things that don't make sense...and I don't mean plot wise. For instance, one of the characters is Chinese and she speaks it clear though the movie, no English just Chinese. The other characters answer her in Chinese, but then speak English to each other, she obviously knows what they are saying but still speaks only Chinese. Now these are an international space team, one from Germany, Russia, Great Britain, etc. If they are all multi-lingual they would flow from one language to another and that would be fine, I don't mind sub-titles. But this was obviously contrived to sell to the Chinese market as there were a lot of post-production done there.

Secondly, water flowing into a room causes structure failure in a bulk head? Third, a lot and I mean a lot of the things are not possible or explained to be possible. Not to give spoilers, because I hate them. Love the ending and the look of the film. There might be more....

For instance, one of the characters is Chinese and she speaks it clear though the movie, no English just Chinese. The other characters answer her in Chinese, but then speak English to each other, she obviously knows what they are saying but still speaks only Chinese.

Kind of like how Han Solo can speak English to Greedo, Chewbacca, and Jabba the Hut. They all understand him, but reply in their own languages, which he completely understands.

This Land is Mine

1943 WWII piece about a French town dealing with Nazi occupation. A hefty list of actors, including Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Hara. I honestly have no idea what to think of the film. Laughton eats any scene he is in, usually (which can be distracting). He plays a timid character who is timid to near the very end, and then when he finally grows a pair, his transition is hard to accept. Mind you, it isn't that he grows a pair, but that his recognition of where things stand in the town seems to change too abruptly. And the vehicle he is given to provide this change is even more unbelievable.

The movie isn't as 'hard' on the Nazis (mind you, they don't get a pass) as it is on collaborators that the Nazis use for their goal of conquest.

The ending seems fair to the final developments, and not particularly emotionally manipulative. But to be honest, I'm not certain where I stand on this film. It is an odd film in the sense that it seems to target the occupied, rather than the occupiers... which is awkward seeing the occupied are on the other side of the pond. The cast is great and the production is very good. The overall plot is believable. But in the end, I just can't put a rating based on Laughton's character and whether I buy his transition.

For instance, one of the characters is Chinese and she speaks it clear though the movie, no English just Chinese. The other characters answer her in Chinese, but then speak English to each other, she obviously knows what they are saying but still speaks only Chinese.

Kind of like how Han Solo can speak English to Greedo, Chewbacca, and Jabba the Hut. They all understand him, but reply in their own languages, which he completely understands.

To be fair, it's much easier to understand a language than it is to speak it. (Moreso when the languages are related).

I once had a conversation in which I gave detailed directions to a French tourist; He spoke only French, and I spoke only English, but we understood each other perfectly well - and I certainly could not have accurately conveyed my meaning if I have been trying to carry out my side of the conversation in French. I presume that his ability to speak English was not much better than my French - certainly, both of us gave up after a few stumbling attempts to speak the other's language.

To be fair, it's much easier to understand a language than it is to speak it. (Moreso when the languages are related).

I once had a conversation in which I gave detailed directions to a French tourist; He spoke only French, and I spoke only English, but we understood each other perfectly well - and I certainly could not have accurately conveyed my meaning if I have been trying to carry out my side of the conversation in French. I presume that his ability to speak English was not much better than my French - certainly, both of us gave up after a few stumbling attempts to speak the other's language.
True. but I assumed they were all picked for this mission from various countries and one of the requirements would be speaking english and or other languages.

I watched two films directed by Atom Egoyan over the weekend:

91xyLtJ5M-L._SY445_.jpg

and

514EZ8DVWAL._SY445_.jpg

Both very impressive, especially the latter.

Sometimes, with Atom Egoyan, you can see the (sometimes slightly implausible) plot turns coming, but oddly, this doesn't spoil the experience for me.

Attachments

• 42eb7d5642a26f7bd03396d7167e34c0.jpg
    42eb7d5642a26f7bd03396d7167e34c0.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom