• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The original Planet Of The Apes starring Charleston Heston. this movie had me mesmerized the first time I saw it. Still thoroughly enjoyed watching it again [ for at least the fourth time] on Netflix last night. The remake is not a patch on the original even though it has better effects.

9/10 for the Heston version, 6.5/10 for the remake.

I still remember jumping to my feet from astonishment when it was revealed they were still on Earth. One of my most powerful early memories.

I got goosebumps when I saw the ruins of the Statue of Liberty.

This is hilarious: listening to white supremacists who normally spend all their time whining about anyone making even the tiniest complaint about racism talking about what they liked about a film series that was essentially a long, drawn-out metaphorical criticism of racism.

Planet of the Apes was the most social justice warrior thing of its day, even more so than Star Wars in which all the villains were space-Nazis and the good guys were so diverse they included funny-looking aliens.

But tell me again how Ghostbusters was the most horrible thing ever made because they dared to suggest that women can also be protagonists in goofy comedy action movies, or how the Star Wars movies went from brilliant during the prequel trilogy to horrible now because there are fewer white male protagonists.

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. Heard a crit which suggested they portrayed Mercury too camp, not showing his masculine side.

I loved the film which showed him as a complex, sensitive and lonely individual, and then found that SBS had a doco last night that covered the remaining years of Mercury's life.

Reviewer talks nonsense.

Watched a movie a couple of days ago: Compliance - said to be based on series of vicious phone pranks from a caller claiming to be police officer conducting an investigation, and in the process convincing managers and staff to conduct strip searches of female employees, participate in sexual assault and worse.

The movie was engaging but I found it difficult to believe that people could be that naive....but apparently the events actually happened;

''The strip search phone call scam is a series of incidents, mostly occurring in rural areas of the United States, that extended over a period of about twelve years, starting in 1992. The incidents involved a man calling a restaurant or grocery store, claiming to be a police officer and then convincing managers to conduct strip searches of female employees, and to perform other bizarre acts on behalf of "the police". The calls were most often placed to fast-food restaurants in small towns.

Over 70 such occurrences were reported in 30 U.S. states,[citation needed] until an incident in 2004 in Mount Washington, Kentucky which led to the arrest of David Richard Stewart. Stewart was acquitted of all charges in the Mount Washington case. He was suspected of, but never charged with, having made other, similar scam calls.[1][2] Police reported that the scam calls ended after Stewart's arrest.

On November 30, 2000, a female McDonald's manager in Leitchfield, Kentucky, undressed herself in the presence of a customer. The caller had convinced her that the customer was a "suspected sex offender" and that the manager, serving as bait, would enable undercover police officers to arrest him.[1]
On January 26, 2003, an Applebee's assistant manager subjected a waitress to a 90-minute strip search after receiving a collect call from someone who purported to be a regional manager for Applebee's.[1]

In February 2003, a call was made to a McDonald's in Hinesville, Georgia. The female manager (who believed she was speaking to a police officer who was with the director of operations for the restaurant's upper management) took a female employee into the women's bathroom and strip-searched her. She also brought in a male employee, who conducted a body cavity search of the woman to "uncover hidden drugs." McDonald's and GWD Management Corporation (owner and operator of the involved McDonald's restaurant) were taken to court over the incident. In 2005, U.S. District Judge John F. Nangle granted a summary judgment to McDonald's and denied, in part, a summary judgment to GWD Management.[3] In 2006, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the judgments.[4]

In July 2003, a Winn-Dixie grocery store manager in Panama City, Florida, received a call instructing him to bring a female cashier (who matched a description provided by the caller) into an office where she was to be strip-searched. The cashier was forced to undress and pose in various positions as part of the search. The incident ended when another manager entered the office to retrieve a set of keys.[5]
In March 2004, a female customer at a Taco Bell in Fountain Hills, Arizona, was strip-searched by a manager who had received a call from a man claiming to be a police officer.[6

This is hilarious: listening to white supremacists who normally spend all their time whining about anyone making even the tiniest complaint about racism talking about what they liked about a film series that was essentially a long, drawn-out metaphorical criticism of racism.

Planet of the Apes was the most social justice warrior thing of its day, even more so than Star Wars in which all the villains were space-Nazis and the good guys were so diverse they included funny-looking aliens.

But tell me again how Ghostbusters was the most horrible thing ever made because they dared to suggest that women can also be protagonists in goofy comedy action movies, or how the Star Wars movies went from brilliant during the prequel trilogy to horrible now because there are fewer white male protagonists.

Is your looking for any signs of racism or political correctness the only reason you go to the cinema for?

Is your looking for any signs of racism or political correctness the only reason you go to the cinema for?
Last time I checked Underseer's reviews usually talk about people whining about movies due to "SJW" 'bullshit critiques' and the like. I don't think Underseer has ever noted in a review about the race or gender of an actor on the screen.

Finally got around to watching Solo, because my wife hasn't felt up to watching a movie the last month or so. I don't know what people were complaining about with this movie, it was pretty fun. I really enjoyed that it was a Star Wars movie focusing on NFU's, like Rogue One did as well.

I'm at the point of thinking that people are too damn picky or wanting to hate something for some perceived slight the movie has made against them. Every movie people have bitched non-stop about has been enjoyable to me while so many of the hyped movies have been just boring to me.

Finally got around to watching Solo, because my wife hasn't felt up to watching a movie the last month or so. I don't know what people were complaining about with this movie, it was pretty fun. I really enjoyed that it was a Star Wars movie focusing on NFU's, like Rogue One did as well.

I'm at the point of thinking that people are too damn picky or wanting to hate something for some perceived slight the movie has made against them. Every movie people have bitched non-stop about has been enjoyable to me while so many of the hyped movies have been just boring to me.

I enjoyed it too, which made me come up with a less than half-baked hypothesis about Star Wars fans as it pertains to every single one since Return of the Jedi.

They like 'em shitty.

I think there's 11 of them now, and of those, the first one was good for its time. The second one was actually good; the third had some good stuff, but also a lot of hokey stupidness. Rogue One was good, and Solo was good for the most part too. That leaves 6 really bad movies (call it 6.5 bad movies).

So when one comes along that's decent, fanboys tend to hate it. And Solo may not have been all that great, so much as it wasn't completely horrible when compared to e.g. The Last Jedi or Phantom Menace, which are irredeemably awful movies.

What other franchise could possibly survive such numerous celluloid abominations and still survive? The only explanation is that when people go to see a Star Wars movie, they're disappointed when it's good.

"Goddammit, I came here to roll my eyes, hear wretched dialogue, and have my intelligence insulted!"

Watched " Blue Velvet " again last night. David Lynch's masterpiece with a great cast including Dennis Hopper and Isabella Roselini. It's complex movie that not everyone enjoys and at some points a little hard to follow in true David Lynch fashion.

8.5/10

'71, 9/10; The story of a British soldier who gets separated from his unit while attending a riot in Belfast during "the troubles". Stars Jack O'Connell and Paul Anderson (Peeky Blinders). The soldier is known to be in the area and the IRA are looking for him. He can't trust anyone but is in need of help to get back to his army barracks. It's an interesting look at some of the skulduggery going on by all sides in this mess. Some very tense scenes and action but understanding the dialogue with thick Irish accents can be a bit challenging at times.

Jimmy Higgins said:
Search for Spock was bad?

The consensus is that it is the best of the bad ones. It certainly wasn't as good as any of the evens.

What other franchise could possibly survive such numerous celluloid abominations and still survive? The only explanation is that when people go to see a Star Wars movie, they're disappointed when it's good.

Not aware of the Star Trek even odd rule?

Yeah, but Star Trek is a different animal. It began as a TV series that got cancelled but was revived when Star Wars hit. Then there was the Next Generation, and movies were spawned from that, etc. They also didn't always have the enormous budget that Star Wars movies did and so had to rely on things other than special effects and wacky new alien creatures.

God on Trial
10/10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_on_Trial
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1173494/

View attachment 18377I'm pretty sure this is the second time I've mentioned this movie in this thread, but I can't recommend this movie enough. A group of Jews in a Nazi concentration camp hold a mock trial and charge God in abstentia of abandoning the Covenant. The acting and writing is stellar, and if this doesn't tug at your heartstrings, you're not human.

For anyone curious, rabbis in Auschwitz really did hold a mock trial, although it was only 3 rabbis, and the verdict was the Jewish equivalent of "almost guilty, you owe us."

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/wiesel-yes-we-really-did-put-god-on-trial-1.5056

Trigger Warning
Neo-Nazis, white supremacists, FOX News watchers, and others of a more sensitive right wing nature should not click on the above link as it mentions Jews without
  • Mentioning any Jewish banker conspiracies such as George Soros or the word "globalization."
  • Using Jews as a justification for doing something awful to Muslims.

Discussing Jews in a non-negative light has been shown in the past to reduce conservolibertarians into fits of rage, which generally results in babbling about the latest George Soros conspiracy. Do not whine at me if you are a delicate princess snowflake and click on the above link anyway. Yes, I am a horrible Social Justice Warrior for even sharing this link, and this is a clear attack on your free speech rights. I want to destroy your free speech because I hate you for being born superior to everyone else.

Escape from New York (1981)

Set in the unimaginably distant future (1997), this is a classic of its time.

It's got everything you expect from an '80s movie - awful incidental music, awful dialogue, awful special effects, Ernest Borgnine, awful theme music, awful pacing, dreadful haircuts.

10/10

Not aware of the Star Trek even odd rule?
Search for Spock was bad?

I call it Star Trek III: The Search For More Money

Pretty obvious from the get-go that it was made entirely because Paramount saw dollar signs on the horizon after Wrath of Khan. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but...

For me the bad was not the obvious cash grab, but the plot holes you could drive a star ship through. Literally.

Left over from Star Trek II, the Bloody Revenge Fantasy, was a planet created by the ultimate weapon of mass destruction. Genesis! What did the Federation do to protect this super-secret result of a successful weapons test? They sent a nearly helpless science vessel. Set up a perimeter around the system? Nope. Park a fleet of ships there to discourage anyone from coming into the sector? Nope. All they sent was a small ship named after an astronaut that died in a horrible accident. What could go wrong?

Then, instead of sending their agents out into the galaxy to hunt down anyone expressing an interest in this restricted sector, they trolled Federation bars on Earth. Success! They captured an addled Dr. McCoy! As the story goes his friends rescued him (breaking every star fleet regulation in the process) and they escaped aboard the nearly useless Enterprise. How many ships did the federation send to chase this outlaw vessel heading to the restricted sector where a super weapon created planet was?

After Scotty sabotaged Excelsior? None. The response from star fleet was so bad that a creaky old Klingon bird of prey was able to waltz right into orbit around Genesis, blow up the hapless Grissom, and disable the already disabled Enterprise.

And once an aged and out of shape Kirk managed to defeat a Klingon captain in hand to hand combat(!) our intrepid crew were able to fly their commandeered broken bird of prey all the way to the planet that initiated first contact with/allowed Earth into the Federation. Consequences? Nah. We'll just let them get away with blowing up the Enterprise, a planet, and maybe starting a war with the Klingons because hey...Spock.

Interesting to note that ALL the Star Trek movies starring William Shatner and Lenard Nimoy made heaps of money for the investors. Much more than any other SF franchise.

" Eyes Wide Shut," starring Tom Cruise and the then somewhat delicious Nicole Kidman. An offbeat sexual trip of discovery by the husband after discovering his wife almost cheated on him.

It's not for everyone, but rated fairly high by some fans of Sydney Pollack and Tom Cruise. 7.5/10

Back
Top Bottom