• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Here Comes Mr Jordan, 9/10; A delightful and charming fantasy/romantic comedy starring Robert Montgomery and Claude Raines. The plot plays around with the accidental and premature death of a boxer. Because the death is premature, the boxer’s guardian angel has get his soul back into a suitable body that will allow the boxer to fulfill his destiny. The acting performances from the cast is outstanding and the plots are clever and witty. The remake is “Heaven Can Wait” with Warren Beaty which is good but Mr Jordan beats it by far.

My Favourite Martian. A spin off of the 60's tv sitcom which fails to excite despite it's more modern and better special effects.

5/10

The Highwaymen Netflix. Stellar cast, but quite slow movie. The story is Bonnie and Clyde, but viewed from the Texas Highwaymen that set up the ambush that killed the murderous couple. The more interesting aspects of the movie are Bonnie and Clyde, but they are for the most part absent. 6/10

The Highwaymen Netflix. Stellar cast, but quite slow movie. The story is Bonnie and Clyde, but viewed from the Texas Highwaymen that set up the ambush that killed the murderous couple. The more interesting aspects of the movie are Bonnie and Clyde, but they are for the most part absent. 6/10

In vain I waited to see Bonnie or even Clyde in this overlong film. But I think I rated it a 6/10 as well, simply because of the excellence of the stars.

Crazy Rich Asians - I give it 6/10 - predictable Romeo and Juliet plot... but some good comedic cameos.
Favorite line:
"That [Asian American] is a banana... yellow on the outside, but white on the inside"

Apollo 11

I'd give it an 11.

It differs from a lot of documentaries in that there are no talking heads. No modern day interviews. No footage at all (except from some very simple animations showing maneuvers) that was not shot during the mission. Much of it is high quality and/or restored 70mm film. It looks amazing, especially on the big screen. Suck it, 4k televisions.

Instead of narration from some folksy or now famous voice, it is mostly told through Walter Cronkite's news reports and the communications between NASA and the spacecraft itself. This could have been a dry, boring exercise, but the filmmakers made it thrilling. A lot of this was done via editing, music and sound design, and they captured (I think) what it must have been like to watch that story unfold live. They also did a good job of giving Command Module pilot Michael Collins his due.

I'm glad I saw it before it left the theater.

Caddyshack for the umpteeth time. Bill Murray in one of his best roles I feel. How about the late boilstress Rodney Dangerfield. [ he reminds me so much of the Donald ]

9/10

Hugo 10/10

It is based on a book "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" written by Brian Selznick. The 2011 movie is directed and produced by Martin Scorsese. I'm not sure how I missed it then, or how I stumbled on it today, but it was excellent.

The story is set in 1930's Paris, and is about a boy who lives in the train station keeping the clocks running. But within the fictional tale of the boy, there is also the mostly factual story about one of the original movie producers and directors, Georges Méliès. I thought the entire movie was very well done, and well worth the watch.

Hugo 10/10

It is based on a book "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" written by Brian Selznick. The 2011 movie is directed and produced by Martin Scorsese. I'm not sure how I missed it then, or how I stumbled on it today, but it was excellent.

The story is set in 1930's Paris, and is about a boy who lives in the train station keeping the clocks running. But within the fictional tale of the boy, there is also the mostly factual story about one of the original movie producers and directors, Georges Méliès. I thought the entire movie was very well done, and well worth the watch.

I loved this one, too. I actually saw it in a movie theater and I'm glad I had the chance to see it on a big screen.

I watched "Black Klansman" yesterday, the best movie I've seen in years. It's currently on HBO, so if you haven't seen it yet, and you like a great drama, excellent acting, enough suspense to hold your interest, some delicious humor, based on a true story, watch it!

Godzilla 8.5/10

Now THAT was a Godzilla movie! Lot of kaiju action, plenty of references to the original films. Looked like at least two major cities are gone and probably can never be rebuilt.

Of course some big plot holes, and characters being very stupid, but that’s normal. And unimportant when monsters are slamming each other through skyscrapers

Some stuff in the end credits, and after, to set up future films.

Godzilla 8.5/10

Now THAT was a Godzilla movie! Lot of kaiju action, plenty of references to the original films. Looked like at least two major cities are gone and probably can never be rebuilt.

Of course some big plot holes, and characters being very stupid, but that’s normal. And unimportant when monsters are slamming each other through skyscrapers

Some stuff in the end credits, and after, to set up future films.

Surprising you rate it so highly. But each to his own. I'd rate it 5/10 at best. And that would be for the special effects.

What else is there other than the special effects? The rest of the movie was just filler in between the monster fights.

The monster fights were awesome, the rest was forgettable.

Vanishing Point 1970s
10/10

Have not seen it in a long time.

A man takes a job moving a car form Colorado to California and makes a bet aon time with the dealer he buys amphetamines from.

He gets bug eyed on drugs and there is a long police chase across multiple states.

Doesn't sound like much but engaging. A commentary on what was going on in the 60s-70s0s including drugs, racism, and dripping out. Not a lot of dialogue.

Back
Top Bottom