• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

At cinema on Friday

John Wick 3 - Really enjoyed the over the topness of the action. Halle Berry was good too. Looking forward to number 4. Must admit i never really felt the appeal of the first two but I may give them a try again.

Avengers Endgame - Fourth viewing, still love it.

Brightburn - Good, but not quite there. Leaves you a little so what at the end which is a shame. Would love to see it expanded upon, but I don't think the box office is there.

At cinema Monday

Aladdin - Almost as good as the original, thanks to good music and Will Smith.

Avengers Endgame - Fifth viewing, still love it.

Rocketman - A musical! Using Johns music really works well even if it doesn't feel especially deep. And for my money better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

Sisters (2015), a Fey/Poehler suckfest. Very hacky, and worst of all, full of self-consciously 'naughty' dialogue. Also, it clocks in at 117 unforgivable minutes.

Saw the new Godzilla movie Sunday. I didn't realize going in that it's basically a continuation of the crappy 2014 version.

This one is much better, in the sense that there's a lot more of, you know, Godzilla. There's also lots of other monsters, and a lot of good monster on monster fighting.

Oh, and there's some people, and some tangential story related to them, but it's all about the giant monsters breaking the city! :D

Saw the new Godzilla movie Sunday. I didn't realize going in that it's basically a continuation of the crappy 2014 version.

This one is much better, in the sense that there's a lot more of, you know, Godzilla. There's also lots of other monsters, and a lot of good monster on monster fighting.

Oh, and there's some people, and some tangential story related to them, but it's all about the giant monsters breaking the city! :D

It is also tied in with the Kong: Skull Island movie. That one was set in 1973, the organization investigating monsters was struggling to be taken seriously, and to get any funding. Judging from this Godzilla movie they had a very nice upgrade to their budget.

Everly 2014
0/10

Japan's ultra violent female abuse and torture of women. Grotesque. Whoever dreamed up the violence and torture and wrote the script must be a sick person. If this is entertainment then it is no wonder why we have an increasingly violent society and increasing abuse of women.

It played on cable on Scyfy cannel. Can not imagine a kid watching it.

Takes a lot t get a reaction out of me, this movie did.

Dark Phoenix...

I'm not even sure how low I should rate this. Such a waste of my time. With such rich source material it was a shame to see the story handled so poorly.

Deuce Bigalow:Male Gigolo for the umpteeth time. This movie wasn't that highly rated, but I must have a warped sense of humour because I find it quite funny in many instances. Slapstick perhaps, but I rate it 6/10

Deuce Bigalow:Male Gigolo for the umpteeth time. This movie wasn't that highly rated, but I must have a warped sense of humour because I find it quite funny in many instances. Slapstick perhaps, but I rate it 6/10

I thought it was funny :shrug:

It's a love story, man! :p

What other movie would give us the term "he bitch"?

b1f5f472-48b7-4eed-8c7b-71b8cd0afd84_text.gif

Working my way through "Batman Begins" again.

Dear DC:

This was it. This was your "Iron Man." Actually that's not even an apt comparison. Iron Man hadn't been destroyed by a camp TV show and a series of increasingly bad sequels. Marvel took a relatively minor character and used it to build a franchise where they could bring in their "big guns" like Captain America, Thor, and Spiderman into the mix. The billion-dollar Avengers juggernaut was built on that one great movie.

You had that. Before Marvel even got up to speed you had this film that redefined the genre. Instead of over-the-top camp, superhero movies could be serious. Instead of "comic books" they could be "graphic novels." Works of art that transcended the premise of a crime-fighter in spandex that they'd been pegged with. And they could make metric shit-tons of money.

What the hell happened?

A couple months ago I watched "Aquaman." An orgasm of CGI with scant character development to put it mildly. Pretty to look at, but hopelessly shallow. Nolan's Batman films - even the deeply flawed third installment - were what the DC universe should have been. The dark counterpart to the sunny Marvel universe. A world where the hero is a conflicted, damaged vigilante rather than a handsome god or super-soldier. Where the lines between good and evil are blurry, and sometimes the bad guys have to be put down like rabid dogs.

Something about the hero we need...

What the hell happened?
1. that's what happens when you let a good filmmaker direct your movie: regardless of the content, it turns out relatively decently.
2. batman is IMO the only even remotely interesting character in the DC comics stable, and then only by certain interpretations of the character, and then only if you ignore a whole shitload of BS. i don't see how there's any potential for what you describe for a DCU given their roster of characters - the result of trying to do that is shit like man of steel.
3. zack snyder is a terrible franchise head, for the same way michael bay was a terrible franchise head: you don't put bombastic visual storytellers in charge of a property that requires thoughtfulness, character driven narrative, and reverence for source material deeply rooted in the zeitgeist.

Last edited:
Watched season one of "Man in the High Castle" @amazon. Even though I've read a lot of PKD's writings it's hard to get into this movie. Maybe season two will be more interesting.

Words can't describe how bad this film really is. But it has that magnetic nature about it, something like Sharknado. One watches it because it's so badly acted and made.

2/10

Working my way through "Batman Begins" again.

Dear DC:

This was it. This was your "Iron Man." Actually that's not even an apt comparison. Iron Man hadn't been destroyed by a camp TV show and a series of increasingly bad sequels. Marvel took a relatively minor character and used it to build a franchise where they could bring in their "big guns" like Captain America, Thor, and Spiderman into the mix. The billion-dollar Avengers juggernaut was built on that one great movie.

You had that. Before Marvel even got up to speed you had this film that redefined the genre. Instead of over-the-top camp, superhero movies could be serious. Instead of "comic books" they could be "graphic novels." Works of art that transcended the premise of a crime-fighter in spandex that they'd been pegged with. And they could make metric shit-tons of money.

What the hell happened?

A couple months ago I watched "Aquaman." An orgasm of CGI with scant character development to put it mildly. Pretty to look at, but hopelessly shallow. Nolan's Batman films - even the deeply flawed third installment - were what the DC universe should have been. The dark counterpart to the sunny Marvel universe. A world where the hero is a conflicted, damaged vigilante rather than a handsome god or super-soldier. Where the lines between good and evil are blurry, and sometimes the bad guys have to be put down like rabid dogs.

Something about the hero we need...

What happened? That final Christian Bale as Batman installment happened in 2012, the same year The Avengers came out. So, when they were wrapping up production on The Dark Knight Rises, Marvel's MCU was barely getting started and no one knew how successful it would become. Bale was out of his contract, and production on The Man of Steel was well underway, but it wasn't too late to make changes to that movie. The budding success of the MCU made DC take another look at their properties with and eye for much larger shared universe beyond individual heroes. Their biggest success to date was the Dark Knight series of movies, and they were dark and gritty, so obviously The Man of Steel had to become dark and gritty, and also had to begin setting up DC's answer to The Avengers and the MCU. What they didn't take into account was that Marvel was seeing success precisely because they were not trying to fit every hero into the same mold as Iron Man. Each hero, and thus each individual movie franchise, had a different tone. By the time DC came to that realization, it was too late, they were already in damage control mode from The Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. It did not help that their new choice to portray Batman, Ben Affleck, was not received very well by fans. Has DC fully learned their lesson yet? Only time will tell, but the DCU has certainly had a very rocky start.

Did people really laugh at Hitchcock's "The Birds"?

In the original Frankenstein movie the scene with the monster and the child horrified people. It caused outrage. From a documentary all those cheap tacky monster and horror movies were low budget because there were restraints on how realistic they could appear.

The Birds was a scary movie of the day. In the 6os there was a TV show Dark Shadows, a daytime soap opera about a vampire. There was a lot of parental opposition and they kept their kids from watching it. I remember the show.

The TV show Gun smoke was almost taken off the air for too much violence.

My wife freaks out at the end of The Mist, and that part wasn't in the King story.

My wife freaks out at the end of The Mist, and that part wasn't in the King story.
VOUCH! I walked back to my car out of the theater absolutely trembling. The fact that my son was the boy's age at that time was a big factor.

Those kinds of movies just do not engage me any more, they are boring and repetitious. When The Thing came out it was new.

What Hitchcock was known for was skill in creating tension and fear without explicit and graphic effects. Today it is all graphic violence instead of acting. Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo.

I listend to him tell a story on a Johnny Carson show. He was a master.

Back
Top Bottom