• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

The Comey Rule - A two part story on Showtime of Jim Comey's experience in the White House under Trump. Starring Jeff Daniels as Comey and based on the book A Higher Loyalty by former FBI director James Comey.

The first half is a little slow but really picks up steam in the second half. Well worth the watch.

I almost put this in the funny videos thread, but it's a short film, so it belongs here. I think.

I also didn't watch this for the first time today. I've watched it several times, and it keeps getting better every single time. The Speed of Time:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0mTxBn5oe8[/YOUTUBE]

Saturn 3, 6/10; A 1980 science fiction movie starring Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel. I don't know what to make of it but it was intriguing enough that I did watch it all. Adam (Douglas) and Alex (Fawcett) and their dog are the only inhabitants of a space station/planet. Enter Benson (Keitel) who has gone rogue and is going to set up a robot that will make Adam or Alex redundant. The plot is reasonable, the acting ok but the poor quality special effects are a big let down. The last third of the movie is basically Alex and Adam playing hide and seek with an out of control clunky "terminator" type robot that has Benson's severed head stuck on the top. Also, the brief moment where Fawcett appears topless and the numerous times she appears scantily dressed may have been why I stuck it out and watched to the end.

What We Did On Our Holiday, 9/10; Stars David Tennant, Rosamund Pike and Billy Connolly in a British comedy drama filmed mostly in the scenic Scottish Highlands. The story revolves about Connolly's character Gordie who has terminal cancer and is celebrating his 75th and probably his last birthday. His family are organizing a large celebration at the family country estate. Some really funny and poignant moments in the movie and the young cast are very funny. The scenery is beautiful and worth the watch.

Papillion 7/10 The remake of the classic. Since I hadn't watch the first version, it was new to me. Well made and based on a true story.

TCM ran a very recently restored film from 1925 called "Too Many Kisses" starring, among others, William Powell (of The Thin Man fame) and Harpo Marx in a bit part. In fact it was Harpo's first film just prior to the Marx Brothers films and the only film he ever spoke in. His only line was "You sure you can't move?". Of course with it being a silent film we didn't actually get to hear him speak. Still, it was a very good restoration given that it was from a old 16 mm reduction print of the 35 mm original.

I just watched Kill Me Again, a 1989 neo-noir thriller starring Val Kilmer. It's not the most interesting film I've seen recently but it is the one I watched today, so the thread title requires that I post it! :) I had watched it many years ago, but my memory is very poor, so this was almost like watching a movie for the first time.

I'm a fan of neo-noir thrillers, so I'd rank it slightly higher than the 6.3 IMDB points it has, but not enough to really recommend. Lazily, I continued watching as the credits rolled at the end; that's how I learned that the actress playing the femme fatale, Joanne Whalley, was married to Val Kilmer when she made the movie: she was shown with Whalley-Kilmer as her surname.

Bringing Up Baby - Definitely not my first time watching this, but it was my 8 yr old daughter's first time. She really had a hard time getting into it at first, but I figured the leopard would. And it did, for the most part. This movie is indeed one of the best comedies ever made, up there with Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, Duck Soup, and The Holy Grail. A movie has to be good if it is black and white and can keep a young and somewhat hyper active child's attention.

Layer Cake, 8/10; I watched this 2005 British crime drama again and enjoyed it even more. Stars a host of "well known faces" including Daniel Craig and Michael Gambon. A somewhat convoluted plot of drug dealers ripping each other off but it ties in nicely to keep the action going. The style is similar to Guy Ritchie's "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" but a bit less choppy. Well worth a watch.

What We Did On Our Holiday, 9/10; Stars David Tennant, Rosamund Pike and Billy Connolly in a British comedy drama filmed mostly in the scenic Scottish Highlands. The story revolves about Connolly's character Gordie who has terminal cancer and is celebrating his 75th and probably his last birthday. His family are organizing a large celebration at the family country estate. Some really funny and poignant moments in the movie and the young cast are very funny. The scenery is beautiful and worth the watch.
I loved this film!!

Uncle Frank - 7/10 Stars Paul Bettany. A dramedy about a young woman and her gay uncle both from a small town in South Carolina. She idolizes Uncle Frank (a college professor at NYU). She goes to NYU and finds out he is gay. While she is there, her grandfather (his very estranged father) dies and they return for the funeral.

Inside Man

I just watched this for the first time a couple days ago.

<Description> Inside Man is a 2006 US heist thriller film directed by Spike Lee and written by Russell Gewirtz. It centers on an elaborate bank heist on Wall Street over a 24-hour period. The film stars Denzel Washington as Detective Keith Frazier, the NYPD's hostage negotiator, Clive Owen as Dalton Russell, the mastermind who orchestrates the heist, and Jodie Foster as Madeleine White, a Manhattan power broker who becomes involved at the request of the bank's founder, Arthur Case (Christopher Plummer), to keep something in his safe deposit box protected from the robbers. Also stars Willem Defoe and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

It moved along quickly and the plot twists kept me quite engaged. And I quite like Clive Owen as an actor.

I want to see it again.

8/10 in my book.

The Dress Maker on Netflix. 8/10 Well written and acted. Another Netflix gem. with lots of dark humour.

The Dress Maker on Netflix. 8/10 Well written and acted. Another Netflix gem. with lots of dark humour.

I liked it too, except for,

I really hate what they did with the Teddy character, seemed so unnecessary, pointlessly cruel.

Ford v Ferrari, 7:10; Stars Matt Damon and Christian Bale in the story of how the Ford Motor Company wanted to make a name for themselves in motorsport and make the Ford brand more appealing to younger car enthusiasts. After being rebuffed by Ferrari in a Ford buyout attempt, Ford commit to creating their own racing team to compete in the 24 hour Le Mans event. The movie clips along at a good pace with some nice racing sequences but the focus is more on the main characters Shelby and Miles. I quite liked the movie despite not being a motorsport fan.

Yes God Yes - A movie about a high school teenager trying to work her way through being a teenager who has just become victim of a rumor about sex (despite having almost no knowledge of sex) and being a teenager in a Catholic school where sex is viewed as between something as reviled as a mix of Satan and the NY Jets. Some could say the preview was a bit over the top and the movie isn't nearly as racy as it would suggest (these are supposed to be high school students after all). My main complaint about the movie is that not much happens or is resolved. There are a couple themes that really don't get explored all too much which is a shame. Ultimately the movie just kind of happens and then that is that. Life is like that I suppose, so that is a decent cop-out. 2.5 of 4

Still shedding tears from watching I, Danial Drake.

Not entirely from the sad ending but in sympathy for the well portrayed frustration of the characters.

The writer(s?)s had clearly encountered the UK equivalent of Centrelink which is evidently worse than ours.

Two days ago I had the opposite reaction to On the Basis of Sex. which gave me hope for the future if there are more like her around.

4/5 for each of them.

Last edited:
The Lighthouse.

I have no idea how to rate it. What's the rating for "Fucking hell"? I'm kind of blown away. It's either stupid or an amazing work of art. I'm leaning toward the latter. It's not like anything I've ever seen. Just nuts. Dark, dirty, gross, crazy, creepy, scary. You'll want a shower and psychotherapy afterward. And my god, the performances. Willem Dafoe, always great. Robert Pattinson's performance is astounding. I wasn't expecting that.

The Lighthouse.

I have no idea how to rate it. What's the rating for "Fucking hell"? I'm kind of blown away. It's either stupid or an amazing work of art. I'm leaning toward the latter. It's not like anything I've ever seen. Just nuts. Dark, dirty, gross, crazy, creepy, scary. You'll want a shower and psychotherapy afterward. And my god, the performances. Willem Dafoe, always great. Robert Pattinson's performance is astounding. I wasn't expecting that.

https://collider.com/the-lighthouse-ending-explained/

Spoilers in the link.

Mile 22, 4/10; A shoot 'em up action movie starring Mark Wahlberg, John Malkovich along with other familiar names. The plot is wholly unoriginal, an elite underground barely legal government entity that does covert operations that result in lots of death and destruction. Basically the group needs to get a defecting Asian spy from location A to location B with loads of bad guys in between. Some of the action scenes are ok, a bit choppy in the style of The Bourne movies. John Malkovich plays his character the same way he has being doing for thirty years, it's old. Wahlberg's character is just annoying, don't know what they were going for here. All in all, a waste of time, don't bother.

Back
Top Bottom