• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

My son, knowing I'm a Guy Ritchie fan, recommended The Gentlemen. Loved it!

Inside Man

I just watched this for the first time a couple days ago.
It moved along quickly and the plot twists kept me quite engaged. And I quite like Clive Owen as an actor.
I am a fan of caper movies and liked this one very much, especially the light comedy ("big Willie and the twins", "How many ... trains pass through Grand Central Station", etc.). It would have made my list in this important but overlooked thread: "What are your favorite low-ranked movies" except that with 7.6 IMDB points it didn't quite make the cut.

My son, knowing I'm a Guy Ritchie fan, recommended The Gentlemen. Loved it!

Inside Man

I just watched this for the first time a couple days ago.
It moved along quickly and the plot twists kept me quite engaged. And I quite like Clive Owen as an actor.
I am a fan of caper movies and liked this one very much, especially the light comedy ("big Willie and the twins", "How many ... trains pass through Grand Central Station", etc.). It would have made my list in this important but overlooked thread: "What are your favorite low-ranked movies" except that with 7.6 IMDB points it didn't quite make the cut.

Caper or heist movies are one of my favorites too.

All I can say is WOW! If this movie doesn't get the AA for cinematography and editing (the little that was in it) there's something wrong with those people. Great flick, highly recommended.

10/10

All I can say is WOW! If this movie doesn't get the AA for cinematography and editing (the little that was in it) there's something wrong with those people. Great flick, highly recommended.

10/10

Agree about the quality of the movie.

And you can lay your fears to rest (sorta):

Among its numerous accolades it received ten nominations at the 92nd Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, and three wins, for Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, and Best Sound Mixing.

Ford v. Ferrari won Best Film Editing that year. 1917 wasn't nominated for that category (assuming that's what you meant by 'editing'.)

10/10

Agree about the quality of the movie.

And you can lay your fears to rest (sorta):

Among its numerous accolades it received ten nominations at the 92nd Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, and three wins, for Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, and Best Sound Mixing.

Ford v. Ferrari won Best Film Editing that year. 1917 wasn't nominated for that category (assuming that's what you meant by 'editing'.)

There was very little editing. All extremely long single shots. If there was editing in those shots, it was unnoticeable.

FvF was a great movie too. I loved the line "This car wants to go faster." and "You want a stopwatch? They're Italian."

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.

I don't even know how to describe how funny this movie is, but this song might help.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCH4dSD7RQ[/YOUTUBE]

I love that movie. It's hilarious and under-appreciated by the public. I think many just didn't get the rock history/culture references.

It's going on my list to see. :)

Meeting the Beatles at the ashram was brilliant. I won't post the scene to spoil it for you.

"Oh, no! The Temptations!"

This is a lovely Beatles soundtrack movie.

Mediocre, struggling musician wakes up in hospital after a car crash / coma but finds himself living in a world where The Beatles never existed.

His love interest stays by his side and he asks will you still love me when I'm 64. She asks what's so special about 64.
...you know, the Beatles...
"The beetles????

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/6uqvgPm8U4c[/YOUTUBE]

The Wizard of Oz - Apparently this was the first time I've watched this film. It is a classic, and watched it along side the Rifftrax which was pretty good. Obviously, the film provides less opportunities for lampooning, but they manage pretty well. My eight year old daughter sat through the whole thing, and enjoyed the movie as well.

4 of 4

Knock Knock - 3/10

This was on a list of underrated Netflix movies and I can definitely say that this was *not* underrated. Terribly miscast Keanu Reeves struggles in this film that fails to achieve the mood it seems to be trying for, coming across as cartoonish at times. The only enjoyable aspect of the film is Ana de Armas (Knives Out) but she’s not enough to redeem the film.

I wish I had never seen this movie and I think the only cure to cleanse the mind after watching this travesty would have to be a John Wick movie, especially if one hopes to ever respect Keanu again.

Knock Knock - 3/10

This was on a list of underrated Netflix movies and I can definitely say that this was *not* underrated. Terribly miscast Keanu Reeves struggles in this film that fails to achieve the mood it seems to be trying for, coming across as cartoonish at times. The only enjoyable aspect of the film is Ana de Armas (Knives Out) but she’s not enough to redeem the film.

I wish I had never seen this movie and I think the only cure to cleanse the mind after watching this travesty would have to be a John Wick movie, especially if one hopes to ever respect Keanu again.

I saw it. Your three of ten is mercy, that droppeth from the heavens. It was really terrible, but it had the audacity to be utterly unfunny as well. The only time I laughed was at the very end when they buried him up to his neck. They should have buried the film!

The Wizard of Oz - Apparently this was the first time I've watched this film. It is a classic, and watched it along side the Rifftrax which was pretty good. Obviously, the film provides less opportunities for lampooning, but they manage pretty well. My eight year old daughter sat through the whole thing, and enjoyed the movie as well.

4 of 4

You only just saw it! Holy crap where have you been hiding?

That's #3 on my top ten.

I'll tell you the first two, but only if you send me 1,000,000 dollars.

Knock Knock - 3/10

I saw it. Your three of ten is mercy, that droppeth from the heavens. It was really terrible, but it had the audacity to be utterly unfunny as well. The only time I laughed was at the very end when they buried him up to his neck. They should have buried the film!

Yeah. Maybe there’s irony in actually overrating this film. But keep in mind that clustered near my 0/10 are movies like Highlander 2, Looper, and Dark Phoenix.

Twilight (with Rifftrax) - Felt like something different, so watched this stinker of a teen vamp romance. Rifftrax makes this film extremely enjoyable, as you get to laugh along at the film which wasn't made for people like myself. The movie is otherwise really silly. Apparently, not being able to read a girl's mind makes Bella irresistible to a clan that has managed to stay secret for nearly a century.

3.5 of 4 with Rifftrax

4 of 4

You only just saw it! Holy crap where have you been hiding?

That's #3 on my top ten.

I'll tell you the first two, but only if you send me 1,000,000 dollars.
It's a classic, but I've got plenty of movies I'd hold above it.
  • The Apartment
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Singing in the Rain
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Witness for the Prosecution
  • Lord of the Rings (trilogy)
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
  • The Godfather
  • Yankee Doodle Dandy
  • Some Like it Hot
  • Mister Roberts
  • The Petrified Forest

...among others.

Which reminds me, I haven't seen To Kill A Mockingbird since 8th grade! I need to revisit that.

Wagons East. 1990's John Candy movie. 7/10 It really falls into Candy's vein of comedies. Title speaks what it is about.

Robin Hood Netflix 2020 4/10 Aside from the machine gun crossbows, triple arrow shots, arrows flying thru granite pillars like m-50 rounds, no real story line, fight scenes from assassin's creed, it's not a bad film...if you like action scenes for the sake of action...that's why it gets a 4. But no.

Wonder Woman 1984

All i can say is muddled. Okay if you don't have to pay for it. 4/10.

Watched News of the World (Tom Hanks, Helena Zingel, directed by Paul Greengrass), based on the novel by Paulette Jiles.

It’s a slow-moving, “lyrical,” Western set in Texas after the Civil War. Captain Kidd, an itinerant ex-Confederate officer (Tom Hanks) rescues an abandoned young white girl (Helena Zingel) who had been captured as a toddler, and raised by native Americans (Kiowas I believe they say). He starts on a long journey to return her to her closest living relatives in the heavily German-American section of central Texas. Along the way they bond and he becomes a father figure for her.

Excellent acting portrays a Texas seething under Union occupation, torn by racial and cultural divides, and governed in semi-anarchic fashion. The action scenes are exciting. Altogether I give it a 7.5-8.

One beef I have. The landscape is not Texas, but Hollywood’s idea of Texas, i.e. desert-like craggy mountains (it was shot in New Mexico). I guess it looks a bit like the Hill Country of central Texas, where it ends up, but most of the action is supposed to occur in the southern plains for chrissake. It’s flat. Towns have names like Flatonia and Grand Prairie. That should give a hint. Locals say when a front blows down from Canada there’s nothing to slow it down but a barb-wire fence in Oklahoma, and it’s leaning. [/rant]

Charade (with RIfftrax) - Mike and Bridget Nelson did a riff of the very good public domain available movie Charade. This film stars Grant, Hepburn, Cogburn, Kennedy, Matthau and is a whodunnit / also what was it about? The movie is a standalone fun ride, a great movie. The Rifftrax manages to keep up as well. The Nelsons do a good job of shuffling things up with material they use, as it isn't as easy to riff a great movie.

3.5 of 4

I re-watched Priscilla Queen of the dessert yesterday. It's still a 10/10 movie.

I noticed some things about it this time I missed in the 90'ies. It has a fairly tale feel to it. It's not realistic in the least. It's a series of scenes one more absurd than the other, but because the subject matter the audience (ie me) accepts it. It's like being in someone else's fantasy.

None of the three drag queens are played by gay actors. When I saw it back in the day I had no idea. I just took it for a given. It's fascinating to compare the worlds of the 90'ies with today. When that came out the gays and politically correct were high fiving each other over this film and how progressive it was. Today of course it would be an outcry that straight actors were given gay parts.

I still can't understand why the woke have any problems with actors playing stuff they aren't. That's the whole point with acting.

The Perfect Host, 2/10; Stars David Hyde Pierce as an unhinged LA police detective who captures a fugitive in his house and psychologically and physically tortures him. The plot is so silly it defies belief. A very drab movie as Niles fails to create any believable menace from his character.

Back
Top Bottom