• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Sixteen Candles another of the teen flicks of the same formula only this one is not smut. Whatever happened to Molly Ringwald. 7/10

The last thing I remembered seeing her in was the mini-series adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand, in the early '90s, but a quick check of her IMDB profile reveals that she had fairly steady work throughout the '90s. I'm not sure how big any of the roles were, as I am not familiar with most of those movies. Since then, though, it seems that she has mostly had small roles on TV, and voice acting in cartoons.

Sixteen Candles another of the teen flicks of the same formula only this one is not smut. Whatever happened to Molly Ringwald. 7/10

Last I saw was about 5-6 years ago, she came through town as Charity in the touring production of "Sweet Charity". Sad to say, her two supporting actors danced and sang circles around her. I assume she got the part on name basis only.

American Sniper 6.5/10

Engrossing film, but I took off points for the poor character development with the wife and other secondary characters. They also took a lot of creative liberties with the real life story. I'd say a person would be better off watching Generation Kill.

Fifty Shades of Grey 8/10

Saw this on my birthday. I actually liked the movie, although I went in expecting to hate it. The book was a lot better in handling the presentation of the childhoods of Christian and Anastasia. They also altered silly things that made no sense for the plotline, such as Christian talking about himself while Ana is sleeping. That said, there are at least two scenes that made me forget I was eating popcorn in the theater. I think my hand was frozen in midair with a handful of the stuff for a good five minutes before I remembered to move. :laugh:

People can tell me all day long that the guy in the movie was a poor actor. I don't give a damn because it wasn't the point. He was cute as hell and watching him go from formal businessman to ruffled, confused lover by the end: simply delicious.

Last I saw was about 5-6 years ago, she came through town as Charity in the touring production of "Sweet Charity". Sad to say, her two supporting actors danced and sang circles around her. I assume she got the part on name basis only.

She's an actor. Why wouldn't the others be better than her at other things she's not known for?

Rewatched Tremors, Tremors 2: Aftershock and Tremors 3: Back To Perfection and they are all still awesome

Also watched
Joseph: King Of Dreams
1/10
This is (According to Wikipedia) the only Direct to Video release that Dreamworks has ever done
And boy howdy it shows
Firstly we start with the Animation which is pretty sub par, the dream sequences are the best the animation gets but are few and far between and overall the designs range from bland to ugly and even at times just bizarre
The Voice acting is about as weak as the animation, despite some good voice talent (Mark Hamill for example)
Every single character delivers their lines like someone reading through a phonebook
Except when singing, and when singing they do reasonably well, except for one minor detail
All the songs are either boring, stupid or just really really preachy
So good singing with really bad songs
And finally the script is just awful
Joseph throughout the story frequently comes across an A-Hole who gets alot of Deus Ex Machina breaks to allow him to succeed and be an even bigger A-Hole in the next set piece
And calling all the other characters carboard cutouts there to make Joseph look good would be insulting to the talent of cardboard (Plus he never really looks like more then the A-Hole he is)
Honestly it puzzles me how the people who made The Prince Of Egypt (a brilliant film) could eveer have made something like this

Finally saw After Earth, a vehicle to allow Will Smith to demonstrate to the world that acting ability is not a genetic trait, and/or that it's absence is.

He also demonstrates why it is important to use structurally strong materials such as titanium, rather than building spacecraft using macrame and tissue paper.

Meanwhile the director/screenwriter gives a masterclass in how to be as unsubtle as possible with metaphor.

The critics panned this movie, but I don't agree with their assessment, which was not even close to being harsh enough.

Presumably this was released at thanksgiving, because it is the stereotypical turkey. 0/10 seems generous, but it is difficult to give it less.

Will Smith is just okay in the right vehicle movie role, like Men In Black which I would rate at no more than 4/10. He appears to one dimensional though I think.

Birdman: -1/10
Worst movie I have ever seen. Michael Keaton makes the best Batman, but he did not do himself any good in this one.

THE ZERO THEOREM (2014)

A typical Terry Gilliam film with often great visuals, but the story really suffers. I don't want to see this one again.

4/10

Ender's Game 8/10

Better adaptation than I expected, although of course there's no way a movie can communicate all the nuance that was in the book. I preferred the more hopeless ending in the book.

On TV last night they showed the great espionage thriller The Bourne Supremacy. 2004. About the third time I watched this and it gets better each time. 8.5/10

Monty Python's Life of Brian, 10/10: I have this on DVD and came across it the other day so I had to watch it for the umpteenth time :D. I think most people will know this movie so there's not much to say other than it is just brilliant, comedy gold. Brain "Are you the Judean People's Front?" Reg "Fuck off !". Brian, on finding out his father was a Roman soldier. "You mean you were raped?!!" mum "well at first, yes".

300 8/10 Starring Gerard Butler as Leonidas in the story of 300 Spartans who stood against the mighty Persian army of Xerxes. Very stylish, atmospheric and action packed. Butler's Scottish accent works surprisingly well, almost Sean Connery-ish. "Immortals. We'll put their name to the test."

No Country for Old Men. It's an adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's novel. A Vietnam vet stumbles on $2 million cash at the site of a botched drug deal. Greed and retribution fuel this unrelentingly violent cat-and mouse thriller. Stars Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Barden and Josh Brolin. Bardem steals the show as the screen monster, surpassed in creepiness perhaps only by his super villain role in Skyfall. 9.5/10

Ah, no country for old men, a great movie, kinda wrecked when it is pointed out that Sheriff Jones could have prevented tragedy by phoning the local cops, rather than driving all the way the hell across the state by himself, only to arrive too late. Worst. Sheriff. Ever.

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy Which I rather enjoyed. 8/10

One jarring moment was when a character who 'is completely literal' and incapable of understanding idioms, gratuituously refers to a woman as a 'whore' despite her not making her living from exchanging sex for money, but was in fact an assassin or secret agent of some kind. This moment was played for laughs.

One jarring moment was when a character who 'is completely literal' and incapable of understanding idioms, gratuituously refers to a woman as a 'whore' despite her not making her living from exchanging sex for money,
Well, Thanos loaned her and her sister out to What's-his-hammer as assistants. I'm sure there are plenty of rumors running around about what sort of assistance the two women were to supply to the insane Kree warrior.

Literal-minded doesn't mean dedicated fact-checker.

Surely that would make her a 'concubine,' not a 'whore.' Jumping from one to the other is what this guy specifically couldn't do. He was always very precise, very specific, and didn't associate two things together that weren't exactly the same thing.

There's a very fine line between a concubine and a whore. In both cases the female is using her sexuality to make a living.

Back
Top Bottom