• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

45 Years, 1/10; This movie received rave reviews but I thought it was utter crud. Days away from celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary, the husband receives a letter from Switzerland that states the body of his fiance (prior to meeting his current wife) has been found. The deceased fiance had been killed in an avalanche while the couple had been in Switzerland but her body had never been recovered until recently. What follows is a slow, tedious 90 minutes of dirge. Fucking awful.

Straight Outta Compton, 7/10; An enjoyable and interesting movie about the rise of "gangsta" rap group NWA back in the mid 80's. It's actually a familiar tale of how boy bands go actually. Big success, jealousy, dodgy manager, money issues, creative issues, infighting and the inevitable implosion.

Agree with all of these points, tho Gettysburg(or am I thinking G&G) had some great reenactor footage. Getting 15k on screen will do it.

I liked Glory, tho the 54th was made of free black men, not ex-slaves. According to the record, hand to hand combat was rare, but Hollywood loves it. But
the reaction of the regiment when the Rebel infantry came into view made me feel like I was there.

Good civil war movies, I'd like to see some...

Didn't Cold Mountain contain scenes from the siege of Petersburg? Anyone see it?

Not really a movie, a documentary.

Weiner, 8/10; This is a "fly on the wall" documentary that covers Anthony Weiner's run for NYC mayor. It is a fascinating look at a very peculiar man. During his campaign another "sexting" incident blows up in his face to pretty much ruin his campaign and any chance he had of being elected. What a deluded horses ass this idiot is.

22 Bullets (L'Immortel) - I entered the film with the understanding this was "From the Producers of Taken", so I was expected a competent Besson like film, but a bit action heavy. What I saw, however, was a well thought out french mob film starring Jean Reno. The characters are given time to matter. While the initial premise is a bit much to overcome, the rest of the film's plot feels well weighted and reasonable. The film is edited well initially to give a back story along with the film itself to give a sense of sentimental weight. Reviews are okay with this film and RottenTomato puts it under 50%, however, to me while it isn't The Professional level great, but it is notably better than Taken or Transporter.

3 of 4

The Gift, 8/10; Stars Jason Bateman and Joel Edgerton. Bateman's past catches up with him after a chance meeting with an old school classmate. Well worth a watch.

Silent Hill (10/10)

This is a great experimental sleeping aid to help those who don't respond to strong drugs. I can't really tell you what it is about since I was... well... asleep. It has Boromir in it. It also has Andrea from the Walking Dead. Not even her boobs managed to keep me awake. Impressive! I noticed they've made two sequels to this. My question to them is; why?

Silent Hill (10/10)

This is a great experimental sleeping aid to help those who don't respond to strong drugs. I can't really tell you what it is about since I was... well... asleep. It has Boromir in it. It also has Andrea from the Walking Dead. Not even her boobs managed to keep me awake. Impressive! I noticed they've made two sequels to this. My question to them is; why?

The story is very weak. Maybe the game made more sense? I found it atmospheric and creepy.

A Walk Through the Tombstones - 7/10

Liam Neeson plays--brace yourself--a tough guy, except this time it's some other dude's daughter he's trying to rescue.

Seriously, this modern film noir is better than I expected. Based on the Matthew Scudder series of mysteries by Lawrence Block, Neeson is an unlicensed private eye in New York, fighting guilt and alcoholism. He's asked for help because someone is kidnapping the loved ones of drug dealers for ransom--it's not like the drug dealers can go to the cops, right? Scudder is not sure he wants to help, but inevitably he gets dragged in and won't let it go until the bloody end.

I wouldn't mind this becoming a franchise, as there are plenty of other Block novels to draw from, and I like the character, but I don't think this one made enough money to get green-lit.

Dune: the complete saga (10/10)

Some fanboy has edited together every bit of (Lynch's) Dune that has ever been released. Since more Dune is better, the most Dune is the best.

The music gets a bit weird at times, since the film has been cut together no matter the music overlay. If you're into the movie craft it's interesting for that reason. Good stuff. But I recommend seeing the other versions first.

Oh, Brother where art thou (9/10)

I saw it before when it was new. Didn't really impress me back then. But since then I've re-read Homer's Odyssey and I must say it's holding up nicely. This is a film smack full of references. Both to the American depression, and all it's literature. As well as classical literature and art. It's a nice exploration of myths.

Acting is top notch

Reportedly neither Cohen brother had actually read The Odyssey prior to making O Brother, they simply drew on the cultural references that had seeped out.

Agreed, that movie is a winner. It's currently streaming on Netflix and I watched it for about the fifth time last week. Fun soundtrack, beautiful sepia tones throughout, and the dialogue is such a delight to me:

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Reportedly neither Cohen brother had actually read The Odyssey prior to making O Brother, they simply drew on the cultural references that had seeped out.

Agreed, that movie is a winner. It's currently streaming on Netflix and I watched it for about the fifth time last week. Fun soundtrack, beautiful sepia tones throughout, and the dialogue is such a delight to me:

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

I doubt you need to have read it to know it by heart. It's such a culturally important piece. But they must have read about it. I mean, Thereisias' speech in the beginning is lifted right out the the book.

I suspect they read an literary analysis of it.

Some fanboy has edited together every bit of (Lynch's) Dune that has ever been released. Since more Dune is better, the most Dune is the best.

The music gets a bit weird at times, since the film has been cut together no matter the music overlay. If you're into the movie craft it's interesting for that reason. Good stuff. But I recommend seeing the other versions first.

Yeah, I liked the movie version because the music - which is way overblown operatic - is awesome and happens at the right moments. The extended versions don't have the same musical impact.

Yeah, I liked the movie version because the music - which is way overblown operatic - is awesome and happens at the right moments. The extended versions don't have the same musical impact.

The music is another thing that has aged well. Having cheesy heavy metal is cool. It fits the overall feel today. It didn't used to. Nothing was less cool than Heavy Metal in the 90'ies and early 00'ies. That hurt the movie. But now that music is so old and "classic" that it works with the operatic theme.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 7.5/10 - Said Fantastic Beasts seemed to be just about everywhere in this movie, but added little beyond scenes of cuteness, fun or slight menace. The human actors were OK but the actual plot took a while to appear... and then there was a slightly boring "scooby doo" reveal at the end. I'll go to see the next one, but there's got to be more than just "look at this" scenes.

Of all the Easter egg videos on the Dr Strange movie, this one seems to be the most detailed.

I don't know why I find Easter egg analysis stop fascinating, but I do.

Back
Top Bottom