• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

Wonder Woman
7/10

Good, but not great.

Highlights were the early scenes with the Amazons, and the No Man's Land sequence, which were genuinely amazing. I suspect that the target audience (young girls) would like it a lot more than I did.

The main thing is that the post-Nolan curse is finally broken!

Wonder Woman
7/10

Good, but not great.

Highlights were the early scenes with the Amazons, and the No Man's Land sequence, which were genuinely amazing. I suspect that the target audience (young girls) would like it a lot more than I did.

I agree with this review, though I would edge it up a half a point - 7.5/10

I really enjoyed the movie, but don't think it quite lived up to the hype from the early reviews.

Wonder Woman
7/10

Good, but not great.

I really enjoyed the movie, but don't think it quite lived up to the hype from the early reviews.

Yeah, but it didn't suck, and to be honest, I was really happy about that. The post-Nolan movies have been such a disappointment.

Yeah, but it didn't suck, and to be honest, I was really happy about that. The post-Nolan movies have been such a disappointment.
I think you mean the DC movies have generally been no better than mediocre and often have sucked hard over the last 30 years except for Nolan and Burton Batman movies (and exceptions with Watchmen and V for Vendetta).

I watched Bladerunner, which I originally saw in a theater in 1982. It's set in 2019, so I wanted to see how it held up, and how close they came to predicting the future. Overall, missed it by a mile.

There were a few conceits, a bunch of 'why the hell not' features of the future. The most obvious was that Los Angeles has become Seattle or Portland and it rains constantly. It's also dark constantly, but maybe everybody just sleeps days. The obvious misses are that we have no fully biological replicated humanoids and no flying cars in our world. That's forgivable. After all, the movie had to be in foreseeable future, just so the cultural references would still mean something. Half of L A was sleek modern buildings and the other half is decrepit mid-20 century derelicts with leaky roofs.

What Blade Runner really missed was the electronics. Besides the easy calls such as the navigational controls in the flying cars, and voice controlled computers(with CRT monitors), they totally missed cell phones. Not a hint. The strangest anachronism in the movie is a newspaper. The hero hides behind a newspaper while tracking down a bad guy(actually a bad gal). There are plenty of crowd scenes, everything from city buses to lunch counters to night clubs. Not a single personal electronic device in sight. No one's face is illuminated by that familiar blue glow.

1982 doesn't seem that long ago. A few years later, my daughter, born in 1983, asked what was new in the world, that wasn't around when I was her age. All I could think of was a microwave oven. I could have added VCRs, but I didn't have one and she'd never seen one. Fast forward and I'm watching Blade Runner from a DVD, on a flatscreen TV.

Shoot Em Up 7/10

Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti square off in probably the most over the top action movie I've seen, I'd guess a higher body count than John Wick. Some scenes made me laugh out loud at how far fetched the orchestration was. It's the kind of movie where after shoving a carrot through a guy's skull, the line is, "eat your vegetables." Fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
I watched Bladerunner, which I originally saw in a theater in 1982. It's set in 2019, so I wanted to see how it held up, and how close they came to predicting the future. Overall, missed it by a mile.

There were a few conceits, a bunch of 'why the hell not' features of the future. The most obvious was that Los Angeles has become Seattle or Portland and it rains constantly. It's also dark constantly, but maybe everybody just sleeps days. The obvious misses are that we have no fully biological replicated humanoids and no flying cars in our world. That's forgivable. After all, the movie had to be in foreseeable future, just so the cultural references would still mean something. Half of L A was sleek modern buildings and the other half is decrepit mid-20 century derelicts with leaky roofs.

What Blade Runner really missed was the electronics. Besides the easy calls such as the navigational controls in the flying cars, and voice controlled computers(with CRT monitors), they totally missed cell phones. Not a hint. The strangest anachronism in the movie is a newspaper. The hero hides behind a newspaper while tracking down a bad guy(actually a bad gal). There are plenty of crowd scenes, everything from city buses to lunch counters to night clubs. Not a single personal electronic device in sight. No one's face is illuminated by that familiar blue glow.

1982 doesn't seem that long ago. A few years later, my daughter, born in 1983, asked what was new in the world, that wasn't around when I was her age. All I could think of was a microwave oven. I could have added VCRs, but I didn't have one and she'd never seen one. Fast forward and I'm watching Blade Runner from a DVD, on a flatscreen TV.

Trump did pull out of the Paris agreement. Environmental collapse in 2019? A major plot point in the book was that almost all animals had died. It had been a catastrophic ecological disaster. And it's out of control, so people are leaving Earth. That's why everybody rich is moving to the moon. Bladerunner assumes humans have colonies on all planets in the solar system. We're pretty fucking far from that.

The Fifth Captain AmeriThorlement: 3/10

i cannot conceive of why people are saying this movie is any good, even lightly in the "good but not great" category.
i found it utterly boring and generally intolerably stupid on basically every level - i'd compare it to being a less fun version of that Clash of the Titans remake from a few years back.

i keep thinking about the first thor and captain america movies (which were on a broad level more or less the same basic premise) and trying to figure out why i found those agreeable but disliked this so much and i think it ultimately comes down to better screenplays, and just being better films at their core (speaking generally about film as a whole and the art of it).

i cannot conceive of why people are saying this movie is any good, even lightly in the "good but not great" category.
i found it utterly boring and generally intolerably stupid on basically every level - i'd compare it to being a less fun version of that Clash of the Titans remake from a few years back.

i keep thinking about the first thor and captain america movies (which were on a broad level more or less the same basic premise) and trying to figure out why i found those agreeable but disliked this so much and i think it ultimately comes down to better screenplays, and just being better films at their core (speaking generally about film as a whole and the art of it).

Which movie are you actually reviewing?

Which movie are you actually reviewing?
heh, wonder woman.

Alien: Covenant
8/10

A very competent Alien sequel. While Prometheus was a more experimental, and had a cooler concept for the aliens themselves, it was also more like a one-off movie that didn't lend itself well to sequels, especially with all the cringeworthy Erich von Däniken crap and other bad science they put in there. Covenant acknowledges and builds upon the events of Prometheus, but at the same time puts the Alien franchise back on track with more grounded (if you can say grounded in terms of scifi horror at all) plot and backstory. One could say that it was perhaps a tad too conventional, given that the Alien franchise from the beginning has consisted of wildly different kinds of movies, but I can easily seeing this being a beginning of a more formulaic series.

Alien: Covenant
8/10

A very competent Alien sequel. While Prometheus was a more experimental, and had a cooler concept for the aliens themselves, it was also more like a one-off movie that didn't lend itself well to sequels, especially with all the cringeworthy Erich von Däniken crap and other bad science they put in there. Covenant acknowledges and builds upon the events of Prometheus, but at the same time puts the Alien franchise back on track with more grounded (if you can say grounded in terms of scifi horror at all) plot and backstory. One could say that it was perhaps a tad too conventional, given that the Alien franchise from the beginning has consisted of wildly different kinds of movies, but I can easily seeing this being a beginning of a more formulaic series.

I thought it was well done too. Grim, dark, ruthless and mostly well written.

Frankenstein (the one with Bobby D!)

Every 4-5 years I seem to give this stinker another shot. Hopefully this is the last time I delude myself into thinking it's going to be entertaining. But like a dead sperm whale washed ashore, its stink only increases as time goes on. Or maybe they were trying to create an over-over the top melodrama. The one consistent thing about it is that I've never seen the ending because it's a cure for insomnia.

As a replacement for Ambien: 10/10
As an actual movie: 3/10

A Taste of Cherry

A 1997 film by Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami.

Almost the entire film takes place inside the car of Mister Badii, who is driving around the outskirts of Tehran looking to hire someone for a job...that of burying him after he commits suicide...or pulling him out of the grave he's dug in case he doesn't go through with it. The transaction seems straightforward to Mister Badii, but he doesn't seem to be able to find anyone to take him up on the offer.

The pace of the movie is very slow. It consists of conversations Mister Badii has in his car with the men he wants to pay a rather large sum of money to carry out his final wishes. Most of the driving is through a quarry where he's picked out his spot. Back and forth, around endless turns, and always the conversations playing out along the way. The ending is ambiguous, and while you never really learn all that much about Badii or why he wants to kill himself, the movie offers a glimpse into Iran itself. Or at least Iran as seen through the eyes of Kiarostami.

It was fascinating. 3/5

Some Like It Hot - Gore went very avant garde with his sequel to An Inconvenient Truth. I wasn't certain how this b/w film with what I can only imagine were cgi versions of Curtis, Lemmon, and Monroe had anything to do with climate change.
?/4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder Woman 4.5/10

I am very disappointed in this movie because I'm a big WW fan. I don't mind Gal Gadot as WW nor Captain Kirk as Steve Trevor. It's just that the plot was complete crap.

Didn't anyone think to tell her that the Germans were people too? Or was she too busy killing them? (WWI Germans were not nazis. Actually most WWII Germans weren't either.) But they were this movie's bad guys, so she had to kill them, because the script said so. I will pass over the stupidies of the trench scene, the painfully obvious "bad guy" unveiling and the subsequent fight.

If you're going to do a superhero movie, get a decent plot!!!

Some Like It Hot - Gore went very avant garde with his sequel to An Inconvenient Truth. I wasn't certain how this b/w film with what I can only imagine were cgi versions of Curtis, Lemmon, and Monroe had anything to do with climate change.
?/4

3.62/4

Did you see it at a Fathom screening too?

?/4

3.62/4

Did you see it at a Fathom screening too?
Yup. First time to see Lemmon (my favorite actor) on the big screen.

Though Monroe had the best line, Look at the diamonds, they must worth their weight in gold.

Logan - As usual, I walk into comic book movie knowing virtually no cannon. I had seen the two previous Wolverines. The first one was pathetic. The second one much stronger, but suffered from low bar comparison syndrome. Logan was getting great reviews so I was going to see this eventually. I will say, it makes for a great Father's Day film. :D

I was not as enthralled with this film as others were. I did not find it the best X-Men film. It was the most mature, but not the best, in my opinion. I had a few issues, mainly with how information was offered and how characters acted at times. I recommend not having a child around to distract you as a couple key things are provided in the film (one of which can be missed quite easily) that can be missed and you'll be searching the Internet to see what/if you missed.

Overall, the film is good, but certain flaws nagged at me.

Spoilers

The big flaw was The Memento Flaw. IE, waiting too damn long to explain something. In this film, the mutants are mostly gone and Logan isn't doing well. This doesn't seem to be addressed until near the very end. Almost nothing is mentioned about this. No hints at all, that I recall. The explanation then leads to questions of competency of the mutants not seeing this coming and dealing with it. The reveal felt like the anti-climatic reveal of Snape as the Half Blood Prince in the movie.

Poor Eric La Salle, also known as that asshole character from ER. Hey, let's stay over for the night! :eek: Are you fucking kidding me?! You know the people found you quickly the first time!

The death of Xavier. So fake psychopath Wolverine just stands there for how long?! That is a massive narrative cheat. Also Xavier's death seemed to occur almost needlessly and as a convenience to the plot... it'd be harder for Xavier and Logan to be fighting one last time together running in the woods. It'd been better to how figured out how Xavier could have made it to the final battle which could have made the final battle scene a bit more designed than just chop chop. Additionally, much like the Star Wars icon's death in Star Wars VII felt contrived and pointless instead of incredible climatic, this death seemed cheap and confusing. (Why is Wolverine's hair different... oh must be a dream or something... aw shit, this is real.)

Finally, convenience.
  • The albino betrays betrays betrays and then does something about it.
  • In the wilderness, driving well off-road, but then the Reavers can amass a large wheeled force on a road within the last few miles of the border?!
  • They've got drones? Why not plant bombs? Blow them up, mission accomplished.
  • Why are they recapturing the kids? Aren't they trying to kill them?!

And most importantly, where in the fuck in North Dakota was Eden?! Desert, tall rock cliffs?! Along the Canadian border? And the spot on the map for Eden, wasn't 7 miles from the Canadian Border, if I recall correctly. Oh, and why in the hell did it matter about the border in the first place? Even the evil military people were worried about the border. What, did Canada become a massive military force in the last 10 years?

2.5 to 3 of 4 (3 if someone can explain some of those things for me)

The only thing I ask is that Jackman does one more Wolverine film, a remake of the Origins one, so that it doesn't suck, and they can have a proper trilogy.

Back
Top Bottom