• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

A reviewer pointed out that the movie would have had a very different feel if filmed from the victim's POV; more like a traditional psychological horror film. That element is there in the finished cut, but you're more inclined to feel sympathy for Pratt's character having met him first and knowing his motivations, than you would if the big lie were the mystery to be solved throughout the movie and shockingly revealed toward the end.

Yes, one could argue that it's a remake of Beauty and the Beast.
In a way!

I should remark that I really enjoyed the film, and thought it was incredibly well-acted by both of its principals. I think both Pratt and Lawrence are often underrated because of some of the silly blockbusters they have been cast in; given the space and freedom of a black-box psychological film, both are more than capable of producing a fine performance.

First, I'm glad my little review of this fine sci-fi flick could spur such an interesting conversation. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only person that enjoyed this film.

A reviewer pointed out that the movie would have had a very different feel if filmed from the victim's POV; more like a traditional psychological horror film. That element is there in the finished cut, but you're more inclined to feel sympathy for Pratt's character having met him first and knowing his motivations, than you would if the big lie were the mystery to be solved throughout the movie and shockingly revealed toward the end.

I feel that this was kinda sorta done already in Pandorum. It's not directly the same as a story told from Aurora's viewpoint, but the basic idea of two sleepers awakening and one holding a terrible secret does seem similar enough that it would draw comparisons. I could be wrong, however.

Anthropoid, 7/10; Stars Jamie Dornan and Cillian Murphy as two Czech agents on a mission (Anthropoid) to assassinate Reinhard Heydrich in occupied Czechoslovakia during WWII. Based on true events, the movie is quite interesting but at times it plods along and it is difficult to follow the dialogue because the English speaking actors speak with some sort of accent.

Swiss Army Man

This is a movie one should see, if for no other reason, so they can say, "Yeah, I saw that," when someone else brings it up. I liked it though and think it's worth a watch.

The movie is about a guy marooned on an island. He's about to kill himself when he notices a body wash up on shore. He soon discovers the body is a corpse; the greatest farting corpse ever. Eventually, the corpse, while still dead to some degree, does come to life and is able to perform all manner of feats. He's quite the survival tool, which is where Swiss Army Man gets its name (like Swiss army knife). The marooned guy and the corpse develop a pretty neat relationship wherein marooned guy teaches the corpse about the world because the corpse can't remember much about life at all.

It's funny and charming, and gags abound. However, although the runtime is 97 minutes, it seems to drag. It would've been better if it were just 80 minutes. Also, the movie hits you over the head a little with its messages, and so some more subtlety might've helped.

Not a great film, not a bad film, but certainly better than most movies.

Oh, Daniel Radcliffe is really good in this movie, and completely outshines his co-star, Paul Dano. It's hard to say if Dano is an unlikeable actor, or if his character is supposed to be off-putting to a certain degree. Either way, it's worth seeing.

6.5/10

Heaven Can Wait

It was just okay. I remember it very fondly from when it was new, but the magic is gone.

Motivation seemed weak. They fell in love because they were in a romantic comedy. That was their motivation.

I used to wonder why Charles Grodin never developed into a great star. He was a promising youngster. I wonder about the effect of having a great director in your formative years.

I saw Dustin Hoffman in a pre-Graduate film, and that wasn't impressive. (Maybe it wasn't his fault. Maybe the script was bad or something.) Anyway, Grodin turned down The Graduate because he thought the salary was an insult; Hoffman got the role; Hoffman's been unbeatable ever sense.

Just a little random musing there, apropos of nothing.

Ingrid Goes West

Single white female for the Instagram generation. Well acted, good characters, no superheroes.

Recommend. 7.5/10

The Magnificent Seven. Not a patch on the original. A gross example of trying to milk the original masterpiece with a far inferior sequel. Even Denzel Washington couldn't save this stinker. Although some critics rated this highly, I think none of the reviewers watched the original with the magnificent cast of brilliant actors such as Yul Brynner. 10/10 for the original. 4/10 the sequel.

Die Hard, 8/10; I'm sure most people have seen this classic 1988 action movie starring Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman. Willis and Rickman are excellent as they face off in this action packed heist movie. The plot is a bit fanciful but for the most part is pretty believable and holds up well as Willis confounds Rickman's well armed gang of thugs during a sophisticated robbery taking place in a high rise office building in Century City. And I don't care what Willis says, this IS a Christmas movie !!

Die Hard, 8/10; I'm sure most people have seen this classic 1988 action movie starring Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman. Willis and Rickman are excellent as they face off in this action packed heist movie. The plot is a bit fanciful but for the most part is pretty believable and holds up well as Willis confounds Rickman's well armed gang of thugs during a sophisticated robbery taking place in a high rise office building in Century City. And I don't care what Willis says, this IS a Christmas movie !!

The sequels not so good. Again an example of trying to milk a successful original for all it's worth.

The sequels not so good. Again an example of trying to milk a successful original for all it's worth.

I've never watched any of the sequels and I don't intend on watching them. I've heard that the sequels are just not as good. Same with Lethal Weapon, never seen the sequels. I watched some of the most recent Mad Max sequel, it was terrible, turned it off after 30 minutes.

I've never watched any of the sequels and I don't intend on watching them. I've heard that the sequels are just not as good. Same with Lethal Weapon, never seen the sequels. I watched some of the most recent Mad Max sequel, it was terrible, turned it off after 30 minutes.

The Die Hard sequels are all terrible, and never at any moment manage to recapture the original magic of the original. They really are a waste of time.

The latest Mad Max sequel was okay, but there are those who thought it Oscar worthy. Why? Hell if I know.

Anyway...

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

It holds up okay. I hadn't seen it since first watching it back when it came out in 2004. That was back when Will Ferrel was at his peak and the world wasn't sick of him just yet.

6/10

The Die Hard sequels are all terrible, and never at any moment manage to recapture the original magic of the original. They really are a waste of time.

The latest Mad Max sequel was okay, but there are those who thought it Oscar worthy. Why? Hell if I know.

Anyway...

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

It holds up okay. I hadn't seen it since first watching it back when it came out in 2004. That was back when Will Ferrel was at his peak and the world wasn't sick of him just yet.

6/10

Yes, but they have a white male lead, so they're automatically good.

If a movie stars someone who is not white or not a man, then it is automatically awful no matter what other characteristics the movie has, because that makes certain fragile white males feel less special.

OMG, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was fucking amazeballs!

Spiderman_ANI.jpg

Trigger Warning
Delicate snowflakes should be warned that this movie does have a male protagonist, but the male protagonist is not white, which will definitely offend the more fragile among us. Because the movie does not star a white male, you will automatically find the movie terribad and a clear example of White Genocide. Do not blame me if you decide to watch the movie anyway, because I warned you as clearly as possible. NO TANTRUMS.

Anyway, that was amazing. Seriously. My thoughts:
  • Some nerd reviewers are saying this is the best comic book movie of the year. I'm not willing to go that far, but this is definitely in the top three.
  • Some nerd reviewers are saying this is the best Spider-Man movie ever. Personally, it's my new favorite Spider-Man movie, but I can see how someone else might think differently, particularly fans of the Tobey McGuire incarnation of Spider-Man.
  • This is definitely, hands down the best animated feature film of 2018.
  • Art direction, art direction, art direction. If you saw any of the trailers, you know what I'm talking about. Other movies like Ang Lee's version of Hulk toyed with this, but no live action movie can play around with art styles and feel like a comic book come to life like an animated movie can. The art styles (yes, plural) dropped my jaw to the floor and it stayed there for the whole fucking movie.
  • Anti-bathos. Yes, the movie alternates between goofy jokes and tear jerker gut-punches, but unlike your typical Marvel movie, they let the gut punches land and settle in before moving on to the next joke, and they do it to devastating effect.
  • Non-stop wall-to-wall Easter eggs for every corner of every dimension in the Spider-Man comic books. The more you know your Spider-lore, the more you will enjoy this. They even had*.
  • The Stan Lee cameo hits harder because of his death. This would have been one of his best cameos even without the death, but with it is so much more meaningful. During the end-credits, they flash a Stan Lee quote that will probably get you a little teary-eyed.
  • There is a certain alternate-reality version of Spider-Man that is notably absent from the movie and the trailers. Stick around for one of the funniest post-credit sequences ever.
  • The music. Holy fucking fuckity fuck the music. Is the soundtrack out yet? I need that soundtrack.
  • They left the door open for a ton of animated Spider-Man movies of those alternate dimension versions of Spider-Man. I suspect Spider-Gwen will be first up to bat.
  • Is this really the same animated studio that gave us The Emoji Movie?

*About that asterisk[ent]hellip[/ent]

Aunt May as a post-Peter badass weaponsmaster for a younger Spider-Man. Even that alternate dimension tidbit made it into the movie.

You deserve a medal of some kind for being able to watch 30 minutes of any of the sequels!

Die Hard: With a Vengeance is a great movie, close to as good as the first.

Lethal Weapon worked well too. 4 could be the best. The "South Africa" angle is a bit dated for Lethal Weapon 2.

Oh, a couple of things for those who saw the Spider-Man movie:

Oscar Isaacs did the voice of Miguel in the end-credits sequence.

Chris Pine plays the version of Peter Parker in Miles Morales' universe.

Lethal Weapon worked well too. 4 could be the best. The "South Africa" angle is a bit dated for Lethal Weapon 2.

Ever since Gibson's " The Passion of Christ and learning of his xtian fundamentalism, nothing he has ever done or will ever do in future will ever get my humble bum on any seat anywhere. Even though I do love Danny Glover's work.

Ever since Gibson's " The Passion of Christ and learning of his xtian fundamentalism, nothing he has ever done or will ever do in future will ever get my humble bum on any seat anywhere. Even though I do love Danny Glover's work.

You are free to hate people because of their religion; it's not like bigotry is new.

This movie has some religion in it, but not xtian. It's Gwich'in: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4982870/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/sun-at-midnight-wins-1.4105341

You deserve a medal of some kind for being able to watch 30 minutes of any of the sequels!

The most recent Mad Max was better than any of the originals[ent]hellip[/ent] ooooooh.

The new Mad Max sequels didn't do anything to tell you that you are superior for being born a white male, and that hurt your feewings, didn't it?

I'm so very, very sowwy. Do you feel less special now? Is that the problem?

You are a special princess snowflake, and you are superior because you are white and have a penis.

You are a special princess snowflake, and you are superior because you are white and have a penis.

There.

Better now?

Because if you need any more than that, I would really recommend going to a safe space like Stormfront.com.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Pretty much what Underseer said. The Stan Lee cameo was perfect. All the various spider people were great. Lots of villains and Easter eggs. Hope they do just as good with sequels/spin-offs

Back
Top Bottom