• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why is it only white people that are racist?

Humans tend to favour immediate family first and foremost, relations, friends, socio economic group/standing, tribe/nation state, etc, in an order of significance to the individual.

Only White people can be racist because only White people have original sin. Get woke to the new religion.

DK3lUmHUMAA6mw-.jpg

Only White people can be racist because only White people have original sin. Get woke to the new religion.

DK3lUmHUMAA6mw-.jpg

That seems about right, though I don't know about the moving in and out thing, haven't experienced any of that.

Poor whitey can never catch a break, always the victim.

Simple example module A001:

Poor Whitey: I don't have any black friends.
Librul: WTF?? Racist bigot!

Poor Whitey: I have lots of black friends.
Librul: Yeah, right. Classic answer! Fuckin' racist bigot!​

...and so it goes.

Humor, and ON POINT!!! -

I used to work in with almost all non-white, non-Americans in a pretty international setting. I still work with a number of people not born in the US, most of whom are not white, although most of my co-workers and most of the people working in my workplace are white and American.

My observations--not data, but observations--are that people tend to look down upon those with darker skin, especially if paired with very curly hair.

When I worked mostly with people from the Middle East, they clearly looked down upon individuals within their broad group: Arab, with darker skin, especially those whose ancestry quite obviously included recent African ancestors; lower still were people from Africa and the lowest: black Americans. It was especially interesting to me as I knew as a fact that in my home town (hundreds of miles away), none of them would have been considered white and would have all been regarded on the same level or less than black Americans.

Among the Asians (wherever in Asia) that I worked with, I also noticed a distinct prejudice against those within their national group who had darker skin, especially if paired with more than slightly curly hair. Not nearly as much prejudice as I saw against non-Asian people with darker skin but it was definitely there.

People generally regarded those with lighter skin and straighter hair as more attractive. Blonde American girls, especially if they had blue eyes, were considered to be quite beautiful, even if an American would have noticed say, acne scars and a less than perfect figure.

Generally, all groups felt their own group to be superior to any other, although this was pretty subtle for most individuals. I found this to be understandable: my midwestern family felt itself to be more genuine, harder working and more resourceful, smarter than say, those big city book educated liberals from out east.

I was somewhat surprised to note that a preference for lighter skin held true, regardless of where the person had originated.

I don't pretend to be able to explain any of this, but offer it simply as my personal observations.

I used to work in with almost all non-white, non-Americans in a pretty international setting. I still work with a number of people not born in the US, most of whom are not white, although most of my co-workers and most of the people working in my workplace are white and American.

My observations--not data, but observations--are that people tend to look down upon those with darker skin, especially if paired with very curly hair.

When I worked mostly with people from the Middle East, they clearly looked down upon individuals within their broad group: Arab, with darker skin, especially those whose ancestry quite obviously included recent African ancestors; lower still were people from Africa and the lowest: black Americans. It was especially interesting to me as I knew as a fact that in my home town (hundreds of miles away), none of them would have been considered white and would have all been regarded on the same level or less than black Americans.

Among the Asians (wherever in Asia) that I worked with, I also noticed a distinct prejudice against those within their national group who had darker skin, especially if paired with more than slightly curly hair. Not nearly as much prejudice as I saw against non-Asian people with darker skin but it was definitely there.

People generally regarded those with lighter skin and straighter hair as more attractive. Blonde American girls, especially if they had blue eyes, were considered to be quite beautiful, even if an American would have noticed say, acne scars and a less than perfect figure.

Generally, all groups felt their own group to be superior to any other, although this was pretty subtle for most individuals. I found this to be understandable: my midwestern family felt itself to be more genuine, harder working and more resourceful, smarter than say, those big city book educated liberals from out east.

I was somewhat surprised to note that a preference for lighter skin held true, regardless of where the person had originated.

I don't pretend to be able to explain any of this, but offer it simply as my personal observations.

What about the darkest-skinned groups? Do they consider themselves inferior? Or do they subscribe to a hierarchy where they reside on top, followed by the blond-haired, blue-eyed group, followed by next darkest etc.?

What about the darkest-skinned groups? Do they consider themselves inferior? Or do they subscribe to a hierarchy where they reside on top, followed by the blond-haired, blue-eyed group, followed by next darkest etc.?

I offer only those observations and no others.

I know it sounded flippant, but I really was wondering. I went to a school for one year that was predominantly black, but never picked up on a color gradient hierarchy. Maybe I was too young (6th grade).

I know it sounded flippant, but I really was wondering. I went to a school for one year that was predominantly black, but never picked up on a color gradient hierarchy. Maybe I was too young (6th grade).

I specifically wasn't talking about black Americans, but people from other nationalities and ethnic/racial groups.

I will offer--and keep in mind, this was well over 30 years ago: I once watched a black man and woman with their two grandchildren in the line of a grocery store, lavishly complimenting the hair and skin of one child who had lighter skin and straighter hair, saying that she had 'good hair,' while criticizing her lovely sister who had darker skin and much curlier hair. I was stunned. I mean, I had heard that such things existed but it never occurred to me that it was real. Note: this is long before--decades before Chris Rock's Good Hair.

This was only once, but I grew up in a predominantly (nearly completely) white area. As an adult, I've spent a bunch of time in predominantly black areas although where I live now is pretty darn white.

I think of black-on-white racism the same way I think of God. It's entirely possible that it exists, but the manifestation is so remote from my life that functionally I lose nothing by saying it doesn't.

I have the privilege of not being harmed by it. For every black woman who pushes to the front and threatens a cry of racism to get her way, there are a thousand white people pushing their way to the front and threatening to crush a black person financially to get their way, or threatening to destroy their civil rights.

So again, the concern in my life is working to overturn white-on-black racism beacause it is 1000 times more harmful. Black on white racism, well, I know sometimes people need that to comfort them, like theists need their god.

Which leads to the current situation--in which most large scale racism is black on white.
Maybe in your world where down is up and white is black.

I don't know about the hair but I do agree on the skin color--but I don't think this is actually a matter of race. Rather, it's the same as our liking tans.

We have lived in an industrialized society for generations now. Most people work indoors, leisure time is more likely to be outside. Thus a tan is an indication of having the wealth that they can have more leisure time.

There it's the reverse--most people work outside (this has recently changed, but there hasn't been enough time for the old attitudes to shift), the indication of wealth is being inside and not being tanned.

If it were racially based you wouldn't see Asians trying so hard to avoid tanning--that's their own skin, not somebody they're looking at. Yet it's not unusual to see Asian women with umbrellas when there's no chance of rain. That's about keeping out of the sun.

People generally regarded those with lighter skin and straighter hair as more attractive.

Look at what I said about tans. And my general impression is that people prefer hair wavy over straight. I certainly do.

My daughter has beautifully wavy curly hair that she hates with a passion and has spent countless hours straightening. So have many Jewish girls in addition to the millions of black women who spend not only enormous amounts of money but also enormous of time trying to get their hair straight. These are not just expensive and time consuming but often very unpleasant and can involve some pretty harsh chemicals.

Personally, I also like curly hair and a variety of skin colors, tones, shades, etc. But I wasn't really talking about the individual preferences of any white person or persons. I was talking only about my observations and conversations with non-white people from all over the world. Obviously my sample size is limited to my personal acquaintances and is not meant to be confused with any universal truth. Or data.

I think your observations of Asians avoiding tans supports rather than contradicts my observations. While (some) white people like tanned skin that evokes a life spent on ski slopes and in spas, that's hardly universal. Or pertinent to what other people from other races and ethnicities find attractive and desirable.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Discrimination_based_on_skin_color

Discrimination based on skin color, also known as colorism or shadeism, is a form of prejudice or discrimination in which people are treated differently based on the social meanings attached to skin color.

Colorism, a term coined by Alice Walker in 1982, is not a synonym for racism. Numerous factors can contribute to "race" (including ancestry); therefore, racial categorization does not solely rely on skin color. Skin color is only one mechanism used to assign individuals to a racial category, but race is the set of beliefs and assumptions assigned to that category. Racism is the dependence of social status on the social meaning attached to race; colorism is the dependence of social status on skin color alone. In order for a form of discrimination to be considered colorism, differential treatment must not result from racial categorization, but from the social values associated with skin color.

Research has found extensive evidence of discrimination based on skin color in criminal justice, business, labor market, housing, health care, media and politics in the United States and Europe. Lighter skin tones are seen as preferable in many countries in Africa and Asia. Many studies report lower private sector earnings for racial minorities, although it is often difficult to determine the extent to which this is the result of racial discrimination.

I think your observations of Asians avoiding tans supports rather than contradicts my observations. While (some) white people like tanned skin that evokes a life spent on ski slopes and in spas, that's hardly universal. Or pertinent to what other people from other races and ethnicities find attractive and desirable.

Few people here do not consider a tanned person more attractive than someone without a tan.

Few people here do not consider a tanned person more attractive than someone without a tan.

Here in party-ville Lake Havasu, you get made fun of if you're very white.

"What the hell, you're so white! Don't you get out, dude?"

A tan can be seen as a lower class given that the common laborer is a lot of times outside, while the executives, intellectuals, and such are inside.

Back
Top Bottom