• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why the GOP is obsessed with "woke" — but can't define it

Just because black people coined the phrase doesn't mean we invented what woke represents. White people all across the globe have every right to be aware of injustices that negatively impact them. So just because black people coined a phrase doesn't mean it's a terrible idea to be aware of social injustices. Or, ya know, be woke.

The current attacks on 'woke' are just a re-hashing of the attacks on SJW a few years ago, including the sly insinuations about the sincerity of people who speak and act in ways that indicate they care about social matters like voting rights, education, racism, etc.

I don't know how 'woke' I am but I grew up in an era when being called a Social Justice Warrior was high praise, so if y'all want to call me a SJW, that's fine by me and thank you in advance.

whitesavior.jpg
And we know this is a legitimate exchange because it has been cut and pasted off the internet.

DARVO is just the kind of newspeak we expect from wokes.
Quick, Deny, attack, reverse victim and offender!

What else do you want to call an explicit and obvious process?

To a hammer everything is a nail. If you're on a crusade to figure out who is a victim you'll find them everywhere. Because there's lots of moving parts in society. If your goal is to find victims have a free pass to reformulate any narrative and take any perspective you can twist everything into a victimhood narrative. And if someone points it out, you can shout DARVO at the top of your lungs. Well done. You're a fanatic IMHO.

It's interesting that you treat "speaking up to cede cultural ground" as some kind of bizarre attack.

It's just that I wish wokes would care about the people they pretend to care about. And treat then like real human beings.

The issues I speak about directly impact me, and are local to where I live, generally.

We've had this conversation before. Just because you belong to a certified woke victimhood category doesn't give you a free pass to talk shit. If you can't handle people disagreeing with you based on the arguments alone, don't have conversations.

It sure sounds like a fucked up way to tell someone they can't look out for those whose interests and priorities align strongly with their own, even when those.priorities include causing no harm and paying our bills.

My priority has for a very long time been to defend the right for people to decide what hormones their brain is affected by, what modifications they make to their body, and what style of clothing to drape upon it, so long as doing so does not weaponize them against others beyond the weaponization we tolerate of anyone.

I'm in the kink queer scene. These are my friends. I recently did a shibari performance, on stage, in drag, at a Copenhagen drag party (Drag House). It was queer as fuck. Each summer, the last four years (minus Covid) I run a queer strip tease and pole dancing competition. I will this summer again. I run it together with a queer trans black woman. She hates woke more than anyone else I know. She really really hates it.

My intersex girlfriend takes hormones to present more as a woman. Which is what she identifies as. She doesn't like woke either.

I'm on prep.

The people I keep running into who belong to these marginalised categories, (wokes pretend to care about), somehow keep saying they hate woke and they think it's insulting. Weird?

If you don't think I am a LGBTQ, queer and trans ally, you can fuck off.

edit: My strip event is held at a festival in Denmark. A couple of days ago a guy on a forum for this festival wanted us to have a conversation about cultural appropriation and how we can be more sensitive about it. What are the chances that a conservative flaming racist would show up at a festival with events like mine? Pretty slim, right? So why do you think that guy made the post? Hint, I don't think it was to spread awareness. Please have a guess whether or not you think this guy is a white, Danish, middle-class CIS guy?

I want to have as much opportunity to do anything as anyone else has. That's selfish too, and the only way it can possibly be justified for me to want it is to want it for literally everyone.

I agree. Which is why I hate woke. It's the enemy of free expression.

I absolutely love seeing examples, and we need more examples, of foiled expectations. That's selfish too: I hate when people put me in a box, and the sooner people realize that can such boxes are fucking stupid, the less I have to deal with that.

Then I don't understand how you can defend woke?

I do the things that I do because I want a better world to live in where I can see and enjoy and love and learn about more of it before I am dead. That's it.

A good start might be if you stop making the world worse?

Last edited:
Just because black people coined the phrase doesn't mean we invented what woke represents. White people all across the globe have every right to be aware of injustices that negatively impact them. So just because black people coined a phrase doesn't mean it's a terrible idea to be aware of social injustices. Or, ya know, be woke.

Ok. How can you tell if a person isn't aware of social injustices? What's the tell? You can't.

Woke isn't about actual awareness. It's about theatrically demonstrating it. It's demonstrating that you know the current vogue cultural sensitivity phrase, completely decoupled from any real awareness.

The way you phrased your statement is like saying, "When did you stop beating your wife?" You're framing the narrative to put the onus on the other person to prove they are aware. It's incredibly manipulative, passive aggressive and toxic as fuck.

I'm not sure why I wrote that the black queer girl I have the strip tease competition was trans. She's not. That was just a mistake. She's a regular bisexual queer black woman.

edit: Ok, now I know. Autocorrect is to blame.

Ok. How can you tell if a person isn't aware of social injustices? What's the tell? You can't.

Woke isn't about actual awareness. It's about theatrically demonstrating it. It's demonstrating that you know the current vogue cultural sensitivity phrase, completely decoupled from any real awareness.

The way you phrased your statement is like saying, "When did you stop beating your wife?" You're framing the narrative to put the onus on the other person to prove they are aware. It's incredibly manipulative, passive aggressive and toxic as fuck.
A kettle is on line 5 for you sir.

Never said I could. Is this supposed to mean no one on planet earth has ever been nor can they ever be aware of social injustices?

For some people I agree. For all people, nah bruh.

That is not the way I phrased it at all. That's is how you read it.

Never said I could. Is this supposed to mean no one on planet earth has ever been nor can they ever be aware of social injustices
It's not EVEN that though. It's not about awareness of social injustices for the sake of NOT being a victim, of seeing the trap before you step in it and never stepping in it, and uprooting it as you pass.

The issue here is that uprooting the trap usually comes with some kind of complaint, generally as follows :

"this is dangerous, some idiot could step in it! I SHALL REMOVE IT!"

"Not so fast, that's my perfectly innocuous and harmless piece of metal laying on the ground there how dare you move it."

"It is dangerous, some idiot could step into it!"

"Quit manufacturing victims, you did not step on this perfectly harmless toy. Quit playing victim. Quit manufacturing victims, I see no victim here beyond ME and you tearing up my things from the ground. HELP IM BEING OPPRESSED!"

Never said I could. Is this supposed to mean no one on planet earth has ever been nor can they ever be aware of social injustices?

For some people I agree. For all people, nah bruh.

That is not the way I phrased it at all. That's is how you read it.
Dr. Z wants to categorize so many people into his definition of "woke", ie the feckless liberal living in an upper class white neighborhood with no minorities (other than the help), whose commitment to social injustice amounts to changing their Facebook image or Gwenth Paltrow.

And while those people do exist, "woke" in America, the label as used by Republicans / alt-right is targeting Democrats in general.. and their radicalness. It isn't actually referencing anything in particular.

I defend woke because it is the only word in my language (indisputably the best language on the planet) that can be made out of w, o, k and e.
Its destruction by Meatball DeSanctis, Doctor Zee et al would not be so tragic if say , “kowe“ was a word, but alas…

I defend woke because it is the only word in my language (indisputably the best language on the planet) that can be made out of w, o, k and e.
What are you, racist against Ewoks or something?

I understand it must suck to have your virtue signalling toys taken away from you. Now you're going to actually have be the good person you pretend to be. I hope it's not to stressful for you :)

What are you, racist against Ewoks or something?
Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea Culpa

My shame knows no bounds!
Henceforth I will divide my loyalties evenly between woke and Ewok. (Do I have to capitalize Ewok?)

I understand it must suck to have your virtue signalling toys taken away from you.

Me, or Poli? Certainly not me. My virtue signaling implements are not toys, they are serious rhetorical armaments!

Its destruction by Meatball DeSanctis, Doctor Zee et al would not be so tragic if say , “kowe“ was a word, but alas…
Isn’t “woke” just short for “woken” or “awoken”, two words already in the English language?

Back
Top Bottom