• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why the GOP is obsessed with "woke" — but can't define it

Alfred Deakin championed social justice initiatives such as workers' rights, accessible banking, and financial support for the elderly. Sounds woke to me.

Isn’t “woke” just short for “woken” or “awoken”, two words already in the English language?
I don’t think so. You probably need to try it out on Dr Z and record the reaction.
“Why do you hate awoken so much Dr Z?”
It might not carry the same force as woke.

Alfred Deakin championed social justice initiatives such as workers' rights, accessible banking, and financial support for the elderly. Sounds woke to me.

I belong to the same group as an unambiguously good thing. I also add something evil to this group. They are now connected. If you criticise the evil thing, you are also against the unambiguously good thing, because I have for dishonest rhetorical reasons connected them. I now reduce the dichotomy to two choices. My side, which includes the unumbigiously good thing, and your side which is different. There is no other sides. When I argue I will ignore the evil thing on my side and pretend it's not there.

I just saw this while checking in on facebook. I get these Suggested For You things about bodybuilding. But even that is infected with Conservative Wokes.

ConsWokes1.PNG

I belong to the same group as an unambiguously good thing. I also add something evil to this group. They are now connected. If you criticise the evil thing, you are also against the unambiguously good thing, because I have for dishonest rhetorical reasons connected them. I now reduce the dichotomy to two choices. My side, which includes the unumbigiously good thing, and your side which is different. There is no other sides. When I argue I will ignore the evil thing on my side and pretend it's not there.

What about my below response did you not understand?

Woke isn't about actual awareness. It's about theatrically demonstrating it. It's demonstrating that you know the current vogue cultural sensitivity phrase, completely decoupled from any real awareness.

For some people I agree. For all people, nah bruh.

Ok. How can you tell if a person isn't aware of social injustices? What's the tell? You can't.

Never said I could. Is this supposed to mean no one on planet earth has ever been nor can they ever be aware of social injustices?

Woke isn't about actual awareness. It's about theatrically demonstrating it. It's demonstrating that you know the current vogue cultural sensitivity phrase, completely decoupled from any real awareness.

For some people I agree. For all people, nah bruh.

The way you phrased your statement is like saying, "When did you stop beating your wife?" You're framing the narrative to put the onus on the other person to prove they are aware. It's incredibly manipulative, passive aggressive and toxic as fuck.

That is not the way I phrased it at all. That's is how you read it.
Dr. Z wants to categorize so many people into his definition of "woke", ie the feckless liberal living in an upper class white neighborhood with no minorities (other than the help), whose commitment to social injustice amounts to changing their Facebook image or Gwenth Paltrow.

And while those people do exist, "woke" in America, the label as used by Republicans / alt-right is targeting Democrats in general.. and their radicalness. It isn't actually referencing anything in particular.
Not to mention the fact that he's attacking me for being "woke" while I live in the inner city, in a low income area, have had an inactive Facebook for long enough people could think I died, and would not hesitate to feed someone their teeth if the situation demanded it.

Nobody knows or cares who I am, and I honestly prefer it that way.

Every accomplishment I ever make, I will probably work in some respects to give it away, downplay it, and hide it so I can continue existing in obscurity, and make the story that is told be about someone else.

I would bet people on the street have more often mistaken me for a strange homeless person than could guess what I do to make money.

What am I getting from this? ...Other than imparting on a community of people I mostly respect that people deserve the right to pursue changes to their own biochemistry and anatomy, and others have a right to help them seek such goals...

I think it's important too, to recognize and admit when and where mistakes were made and by whom, everyone involved, at least once per mistake.

We do not have the power to savescum reality.

We have to get it right the first time, or do the work to fix our errors, because continuing with finite fixed error produced continuously over time for infinite time generates infinite error.

Only systems where the continual error is reduced over time can achieve finite error over infinite time.

That doesn't happen unless people discuss among themselves what errors exist and why, in their estimation, and how to resolve them.

That involves recognizing that some errors were made, and providing clear examples of error from which to extrapolate the fundamental nature of errorness. Whether you want to call those aggrieved by the error "victims", there was still an error.

And that's however you define error here.

That's not "woke", that's just a fact of metaphysics, and so a fact of physics, and so a fact of our lives.

Isn’t “woke” just short for “woken” or “awoken”, two words already in the English language?
I don’t think so. You probably need to try it out on Dr Z and record the reaction.
Well, I will defer to his expertise on this issue. And all the other American culture aspects he’s an expert on.

Well, I will defer to his expertise on this issue. And all the other American culture aspects he’s an expert on.
A wise choice. If you want to know anything about American social or political attitudes and leanings, best to consult a Swede.
In an emergency, an Aussie will do (but if you consult an Aussie, beware: I am told that some are totally fascinated with Trump).

A wise choice. If you want to know anything about American social or political attitudes and leanings, best to consult a Swede.
In an emergency, an Aussie will do (but if you consult an Aussie, beware: I am told that some are totally fascinated with Trump).
Is this a metaphorical Aussie or a literal one?

My issue with your stance is that you appear to be fully 'woke' and seem to be trying to deny it, even if your definition of woke is not as liberal as some other definitions of what it means to be woke.

An African or European Aussie? ;)

Dunno, but they will for sure be unladen.

Dunno, but they will for sure be unladen.
Well, I for one think I'm ready to be done with the shitty metaphor derails, thanks, so please stop (ok, I'm done for real now, please don't throw me off a cliff).

View attachment 42705

In case no one was following why I posted this and what it is about...

My thought here is that why the GOP is obsessed with woke is that it's one of those things they do themselves but don't call it that when they do it themselves. That characteristic of the term is akin to "judicial activists," "terrorists," or how they used to use the word "militant" as a pejorative. This makes it hard to define for them because if they define it it lays bare their hypocrisy. The best they can probably do is constrain the definition of wokeness to only be about left-type issues, like anti-racism or anti-misogyny.

So, this screenshot of social media is intended to show an example of conservative wokeness. The first thing posted is a meme of Arnold being very patriotic to the USA in 1983 on the top and then it's from his J6 video, I think, in which he criticized the insurrectionists (as a Republican!!). They allegedly interpret his message as "Screw Your Freedom" because they think themselves socially aware (i.e. WOKE) to the alt-right fact that Twitler actually won the Presidential election or 2020. Eight woke conservatives liked his meme.

Another conservative woke commented "this" and also got a like by another conservative woke.

And then the same guy replied to himself but meant to reply to a single sarcastic individual. This woke wrote about World Economic Forum concentration camps. Yup. He's woke to it. See? I mean, all of QAnon could said to be woke to this kind of crazy claim.

Next wokester does typo'ed message "maybe more should of listened!"

So did the Khmer Rouge.

The Khmer Rouge championed workers' rights, accessible banking, and financial support for the elderly?

Back
Top Bottom