• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why you should vote for Trump

They can get all of that with any Republican candidate, yet they want Trump.

He wants a president not ashamed to have the stars and bars behind him, not the stars and stripes.*

*my ancestor fought in the Confederate army, and I'm glad the south lost.

434352726_8214672065227834_8573614838350453944_n.jpg

Not all of Trump's supporters are feeble-brained bigots.

Thom Hartmann said:
— As the wealth of the American 1% hits a record $44 trillion, Republican billionaires are saluting Trump. The main effect of neoliberalism, aka Reaganism, is to transfer wealth and political power from the working class into the money bins of the morbidly rich, while replacing a landscape of small and medium sized businesses with monopolistic behemoths. And it’s sure working that way: in the past 3 years, the wealth of the top 0.1 percent has almost doubled. In its early days, this outcome was pitched as a good thing: Reagan said that giving trillion dollar tax cuts to billionaires would “trickle down the prosperity” to working people (it didn’t), and Clinton said white collar tech jobs would replace the estimated 20 million manufacturing jobs America gave up to China, Vietnam, and Mexico (they didn’t). But nobody’s believing any of that anymore; the last president to pitch a neoliberal agenda was Trump, with his $2 trillion gift to his fellow billionaires, while Joe Biden has explicitly repudiated it. And those billionaires now fully intend to return Trump’s favor. While many condemned Trump after his January 6th attempt to overthrown American democracy, now they’re reconsidering, particularly as President Biden promises to raise their taxes if he gets a Democratic congress. Wealthy people putting their own interests above the good of the nation is nothing new: back in 1934, Marine General Smedley Butler blew the whistle on an attempt by a cabal of America’s richest men to kidnap or kill President Franklin D. Roosevelt and replace him with a fascist like Charles Lindbergh. The same thing happened in Germany in the 1930s, when the morbidly rich industrialists and bankers (along with Prescott Bush) lined up to support Hitler . . .

We were driving home earlier and got behind a beat up old van that has a sticker on it that said, "Trump won. I know it and you know it".

Yes. Many of the ultra wealthy are behind Trump for the tax breaks, but most are like the man in the beat up van. I'm starting to see more Trump 2024 signs whenever we head out to exurban areas. Something never change.

"The same thing happened in Germany in the 1930s, when the morbidly rich industrialists and bankers (along with Prescott Bush) lined up to support Hitler . . ."

This is one of things modern Americans prefer not to remember.
Hitler was very popular here, for years.

Hitler had a framed portrait of Henry Ford in his office, because Ford was such a strong international supporter.
Tom

Reactions: SLD
We were driving home earlier and got behind a beat up old van that has a sticker on it that said, "Trump won. I know it and you know it".

Yes. Many of the ultra wealthy are behind Trump for the tax breaks, but most are like the man in the beat up van. I'm starting to see more Trump 2024 signs whenever we head out to exurban areas. Something never change.
Trump's #1 base is white people who are angry. The anger is over a lot of stuff that usually doesn't exist or of a minor significance especially to their lives like CRT, transgender, #BLM, the border. They got lucky with inflation, that actually did exist, though you'd swear inflation was at 10% a month. Still ranting about crime too, though it is dropping now. They watch and read far right-wing media, it is their lens and it is how they perceive the world around them, that really doesn't exist as advertised.

I participate at another board which has a good deal of angry white people. The funny thing is they often complain about problems that do exist... that Democrats raise as needing to be addressed, that the GOP ignores, yet, they seem oblivious to this.

As an outsider I still cannot understand how Trump managed to take over the GOP.
It is a bit hard to fathom as an insider how the RNC managed to be handed to him, but Trump is different. He is the wrong person, wrong time, right movement. It is like Mussolini... without the Great Depression.

The insanity is that he is more fake than a $3 bill, and it obvious, but he says the things that some people that have listening to
right-wing media (Fox News, AM Radio) for decades. They've been told they were victims of the unfair liberals for so long, it is all they see now. The GOP could have stopped this after 1/6, but they didn't, cause he raised a lot of money. The GOP sold its soul.

But the RNC handing the reins of the party and its money to Trump!? The dude who wrecks anything financial he touches? But he has the reins of enough of the base to apparently warrant it in some people's eyes.

This is almost as absurd as Being There.

As an outsider I still cannot understand how Trump managed to take over the GOP.
He appeals to the most dangerous faction within his party.
The problem is, after 1/6, lots of Republicans had a problem with him. Many of those same people think the election was unfair now. Trump normalizes lies. Politics is rife with lies and fictions, but Trump puts forth the most ridiculous bullshit, and because he does nothing else, it sticks. By the time he was cornered on one thing, he's said three more outlandish things. And a growing percentage of the GOP are buying it.

I think it is a new fallacy that is effective. Lie about something so badly, that the person only needs to believe parts of it, enough to normalize fiction into perception, like the border.

I'm reasonably convinced that when the orange shitstain was actually elected, Putin's machine leaned on a lot of the GOP and threatened to reveal dirt. That's why so many clearly loathe the loser, but still do what he says and lick the boots when told to.

So, I could swear you were one of the religious members here? Or is my mind slipping on that? Lions and Tigers and oh my and all that?

At any rate, about 1900 years ago someone wrote a rambling political diatribe after eating some moss or somesuch and going on a trip.

In this diatribe, they described this exact behavior: someone uniting people under a shower of lies, and the wicked and those of the world hardened their hearts, or would, in the face of this.

This wasn't specifically prophecy. It was history. And it was history again. And it was history again. It was history in the 1930's, and it will be history of the 2020's, I'm afraid, assuming there's anyone left to remember history.

That old book says this shit happens, and has been happening for thousands of years. It is a strange documentary of various realities of the human condition that evil people precipitate and galvanized around evil.

Trump managed to take over the GOP because this is the pattern of what ancient, fairly well educated people saw as "wickedness". It is what we can see as the pattern of today.

Whatever John or whoever-it-was wrote about happening, Hitler happened, and Trump is happening.

When discussing the matter with a coworker/boss at the aircraft simulator place, as to why the very gay, very gay married man I worked for supported and voted for Trump, it was "because it was funny. Endless entertainment."

I think he represents a great many, is perhaps just some walking skin suit, a laughing pedestrian from some dark story in the flesh of a man laughing at the world as it burns.

This is perhaps why they follow him, though they will never admit this: many wish for death and the end, especially the death cult "Christians".

So, I could swear you were one of the religious members here? Or is my mind slipping on that? Lions and Tigers and oh my and all that?

At any rate, about 1900 years ago someone wrote a rambling political diatribe after eating some moss or somesuch and going on a trip.

In this diatribe, they described this exact behavior: someone uniting people under a shower of lies, and the wicked and those of the world hardened their hearts, or would, in the face of this.

This wasn't specifically prophecy. It was history. And it was history again. And it was history again. It was history in the 1930's, and it will be history of the 2020's, I'm afraid, assuming there's anyone left to remember history.

That old book says this shit happens, and has been happening for thousands of years. It is a strange documentary of various realities of the human condition that evil people precipitate and galvanized around evil.

Trump managed to take over the GOP because this is the pattern of what ancient, fairly well educated people saw as "wickedness". It is what we can see as the pattern of today.

Whatever John or whoever-it-was wrote about happening, Hitler happened, and Trump is happening.

When discussing the matter with a coworker/boss at the aircraft simulator place, as to why the very gay, very gay married man I worked for supported and voted for Trump, it was "because it was funny. Endless entertainment."

I think he represents a great many, is perhaps just some walking skin suit, a laughing pedestrian from some dark story in the flesh of a man laughing at the world as it burns.

This is perhaps why they follow him, though they will never admit this: many wish for death and the end, especially the death cult "Christians".
Well, yes. But more to the point there’s always been an undercurrent of fascism running in American politics. People give lip service to freedom; what they want is order. And power for their group. Racism still abounds. Couple all of this with rising inequality over decades, with billionaires getting bailouts, while ordinary people get foreclosures, then it doesn’t take much to make people want to see the system crash. That’s what motivates people to vote for fascism - a trio of racism, inequality, and apocalyptic religious beliefs. To me, it’s hardly surprising that Trump is doing so well. And I think a large part of the blame is on the Democratic Party for focusing too much on identity politics and ignoring working class concerns.

Back
Top Bottom