• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Biden drop out? Who replaces him?

An array of neurologists who have not personally examined Mr. Biden said they observed symptoms in his public appearances that were consistent with Parkinson’s or a related disease, such as hypophonic speech, forward flexed posture, a shuffling gait, masked face and irregular speech pattern. But they emphasized that a specific diagnosis could not be given without firsthand examination.

It looks like you are describing Trump in this paragraph.

An array of neurologists who have not personally examined Mr. Biden said they observed symptoms in his public appearances that were consistent with Parkinson’s or a related disease, such as hypophonic speech, forward flexed posture, a shuffling gait, masked face and irregular speech pattern. But they emphasized that a specific diagnosis could not be given without firsthand examination.

It's not me, it's neurologists and they are describing Biden.

I'm the last person here to support barbos's trolling, but that interview with the NY neurologist was informative for those of us who don't know how to diagnose Parkinson's. Trump has balance issues, but he doesn't have quite the same motion issues that Biden now has. Biden's movements a year ago were much less obvious, particularly in the way he walks. I looked up the neurologist's background, and he does seem legitimate, although not someone with stellar credentials in his field. He did make the point that Parkinson's is a motion disorder and therefore easy to diagnose without a close examination. Of course, there are ways to eliminate all doubts about such a diagnosis, and the White House neurologist wrote a letter claiming that Biden did not show symptoms of Parkinson's. It doesn't appear that Biden himself dictated the letter and made the doctor sign it--something that Donald Trump has been known to do.

Parkinson's is degenerative and incurable, according to what I've read about it. However, it doesn't preclude him from carrying out the duties of his office. It should disqualify him from running for a second term, if he has it. I simply do not trust or expect Biden's protectors and the White House staff to be honest or candid about his medical condition.

Last edited:
At this point in time, I don't know whether Biden can be dislodged from the nomination. Biden's nomination seems in inevitable. Here is my current thinking about the race:

• Neither Trump nor Biden is physically and mentally fit to be given a second term.
  • There is a reasonable chance that neither man will make it to the end of his term.
  • Therefore, the candidates for Vice President in both tickets should be the focus of attention in the campaign.
  • Harris is vastly more qualified in experience, intelligence, and intellect than JD Vance to run an administration.
  • Therefore, I support the Biden-Harris ticket over the Trump-Vance ticket.
I won't deny my political bias. I am always more predisposed to vote for Democrats than Republicans, especially now that the Republican Party has become the Party of Trump. But I think that the best strategy for Democrats going forward, if Biden cannot be removed from the ticket, is to emphasize Harris's qualifications over Vance's. Make the race more between Harris and Vance than the two old duffers at the top of their tickets.

Last edited:

Parkinson's is degenerative and incurable, according to what I've read about it. However, it doesn't preclude him from carrying out the duties of his office. It should disqualify him from running for a second term, if he has it. I simply to not trust or expect Biden's protectors and the White House staff to be honest or candid about his medical condition.

My eldest cousin had Parkinson's. Yes, it is degenerative and incurable, though there are some treatments that can (maybe?) slow the advance. Yet I don't believe it affects cognitive function. My cousin's mind was a sharp as ever though his body was deteriorating. Which is terrifying because he spent the last months of his life unable to move or speak. Silently trapped in his body.

Yet I don't believe it affects cognitive function.
It does, in 30% of cases it does. And even if it does not in our particular case, you don't want to have a man with a red button to suffer from incurable and progressing disease. Plus VP is an idiot in our case.

Biden Drops Out of Race, Scrambling the Campaign for the White House - The New York Times - "The president’s withdrawal under pressure from fellow Democrats after a disastrous debate cleared the way for a new nominee to take on former President Donald J. Trump in the fall."
“It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve as your President,” he said in a letter posted on social media. “And while it has been my intention to seek re-election, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder of my term.”

No sitting president has dropped out of a race so late in the election cycle in American history, and Ms. Harris and any other contenders for the nomination will have just weeks to earn the backing of the nearly 4,000 delegates to the Democratic National Convention. While the convention is scheduled to take place in Chicago from Aug. 19 to Aug. 22, the party had already planned to conduct a virtual roll call vote before Aug. 7 to ensure access to ballots in all 50 states, leaving little time to assemble support.
Why did it happen?
Mr. Biden’s campaign for a second term collapsed in swift and stunning fashion after leading Democrats concluded that he would be unable to defeat Mr. Trump in the fall. During their nationally televised debate last month, Mr. Biden, the oldest president in American history, appeared frail, hesitant, confused and diminished, losing a critical opportunity to make his case against Mr. Trump, a convicted felon who tried to overturn the last election.

Although Mr. Trump, 78, is just a few years younger than Mr. Biden, he came across as forceful at the debate even as he made repeated false and misleading statements. Questions have been raised about Mr. Trump’s own cognitive decline. He often rambles incoherently in interviews and at campaign rallies and has confused names, dates and facts just as Mr. Biden has. But Republicans have not turned against him as Democrats did against Mr. Biden.

Here is Joe Biden's xweet:
Joe Biden on X: "(pic link)" / X with a screencap of his statement

Biden drops out. Breaking news.
Yeah. I just saw that. Oddly enough, I thought Joe Manchin made the most sense earlier this morning on "Face the Nation". He said that Joe should drop out so he could do the hard work of being president for the remainder of his term, as campaigning is very hard work and this is a very difficult time to be president.

I would have probably dropped out and told everyone to fuck themselves. But, since Harris will likely be the nominee, does anyone think she can win in enough of the swing states? I'm very doubtful that she can, but I hope I'm wrong. Maybe it she chooses a moderate to conservative VP who is popular in a conservative or swing state, she will have a good chance. It's going to be interesting.

I saw "Biden Is Out" and similar phrases trending, and I was concerned that that might be a rumor that got out of hand. So I went to the New York Times, and I found that it had an article on his dropping out, an article that I decided to gift.

Biden drops out. Breaking news.
Yeah. I just saw that. Oddly enough, I thought Joe Manchin made the most sense earlier this morning on "Face the Nation". He said that Joe should drop out so he could do the hard work of being president for the remainder of his term, as campaigning is very hard work and this is a very difficult time to be president.

I would have probably dropped out and told everyone to fuck themselves. But, since Harris will likely be the nominee, does anyone think she can win in enough of the swing states? I'm very doubtful that she can, but I hope I'm wrong. Maybe it she chooses a moderate to conservative VP who is popular in a conservative or swing state, she will have a good chance. It's going to be interesting.
Kamala NEEDS to be the one, NOT a man and NOT a white person. Honestly, is this not literally her JOB?? I mean I know, I know; campaign isn't administration. But why not? Yes it is. How can anyone have faith in the DEM Party if the top leader is not the top leader?

KAMALA! Say her name, say her name!

Kamala should use this song for her campaign efforts:

"Since at least 2016, a brave, determined, and stalwart group of psychologists and other mental health professionals have been trying to warn the public about Donald Trump’s obvious unwellness and pathological behavior. Based on mountains of public evidence of Trump’s behavior and what he has encouraged in others, these mental health experts concluded that the corrupt twice-impeached ex-president, a sexual assaulter as confirmed by a court of law, aspiring dictator, and defendant who is now facing hundreds of years in prison appears to be a sociopath if not a full-on psychopath".

Reactions: SLD
Back
Top Bottom