• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Biden drop out? Who replaces him?

Kamala Harris' campaign says it raised $200 million in first week - CBS Philadelphia
The campaign, which announced the total on Sunday, said 66% of the funds came from first-time donors, touting grassroots support for Harris' bid. And the campaign said the support has extended to its volunteer effort, with over 170,000 new volunteers coming onboard since last week's announcement.

The fundraising haul comes after the campaign said it raked in more than $100 million in the day following Mr. Biden's announcement that he would suspend his campaign. In the days that followed, Harris received endorsements from large swaths of the party, including individuals who had been seen as possible White House contenders, while winning endorsements from the bulk of the party's 4,000 pledged delegates — making her the presumptive nominee.

Harris has moved fast to define the narrative of her own campaign before Trump does it for her.
Kamala Harris vows "we will move forward" in speech to teacher's union - CBS Colorado

Harris holds first fundraiser as presumptive Democratic nominee: "We are the underdogs in this race" - CBS News

Harris herself as California AG directly acted to oblige prisoners (who might otherwise have been eligible for early release!) to perform extremely dangerous and specialized labor fighting wildfires for only a dollar a day, a situation only possible because of the "slavery loophole" in our national Constitution. This, to me, is a more pressing and disturbing issue than simply having a slave-owning ancestor. But you're not going to hear Republicans complain about that, because they are nearly a solid bloc against any further reforms of American enslavement law. If someone started questioning whether we ought to outlaw modern slavery, politicians in both parties would stand to lose millions of dollars. What is more shameful, to be distantly related to someone who owned slaves, or to abuse the power you have as a US senator or representative to oppose abolition in the present day?
We have used prisoners in CA to do things like make license plates, which I don't really think of as a bad thing. It gives them something to do, gives them skills and a work ethic, etc. One can consider such labor to be part of their punishment. Firefighting is, I think, a very good use of the prison population as well (especially given our massive wildfire situation) but yeah, its totally uncool to keep them beyond their release dates for that or give them such miserly wages.

I would like to hear more about this "slavery loophole", though. I'm not so sure its right to blame all this on the Republicans. There have been times in the past when Democrats had control of the government and could have passed such reform, no? And what about California? We've had a supermajority in the legislature and a Dem gov for a long time. Surely they could have done something about it?

Finally, this whole business about whether someone had ancestors who were a slave or slaveholder is just ridiculous. It means nothing, other than a mildly curious footnote in someone's ancestry that might make for interesting cocktail party conversation. But that's it.
And in Oregon.

Finally, this whole business about whether someone had ancestors who were a slave or slaveholder is just ridiculous. It means nothing, other than a mildly curious footnote in someone's ancestry that might make for interesting cocktail party conversation. But that's it.
WOW.

FKKN SAVED. THE WHITE SUPREMACISHET is strong with this one! holy fukkin shit!

WOW. Of course this was said by a screen name. I doubt this same person DARES to express THIS sentiment in public with their actual name! At the workplace!

OH MY LILY WHITE DNA, yall.

thebeave - an Atheist from California.jpg

Harris herself as California AG directly acted to oblige prisoners (who might otherwise have been eligible for early release!) to perform extremely dangerous and specialized labor fighting wildfires for only a dollar a day, a situation only possible because of the "slavery loophole" in our national Constitution. This, to me, is a more pressing and disturbing issue than simply having a slave-owning ancestor. But you're not going to hear Republicans complain about that, because they are nearly a solid bloc against any further reforms of American enslavement law. If someone started questioning whether we ought to outlaw modern slavery, politicians in both parties would stand to lose millions of dollars. What is more shameful, to be distantly related to someone who owned slaves, or to abuse the power you have as a US senator or representative to oppose abolition in the present day?
I think I was the first to mention that here, and was called "MAGA" for my efforts. Welcome to the club I guess.
Haha, well I think that case may be diificult to make stick in my case, but your interlocutors are welcome to try. :D

I would like to hear more about this "slavery loophole", though. I'm not so sure its right to blame all this on the Republicans. There have been times in the past when Democrats had control of the government and could have passed such reform, no? And what about California? We've had a supermajority in the legislature and a Dem gov for a long time. Surely they could have done something about it?
The slavery exemption in the 13th amendment was definitely the result of Democratic meddling, not Republican. But that was a very different legislative environment. In our current iteration, neither party sees full abolition as a winning issue; to discuss it at all requires wiggle words like "prison reform" and "human trafficking". Saying "slavery" ends the conversation, for all but the most radical wing of either party.

Last edited:
We have used prisoners in CA to do things like make license plates, which I don't really think of as a bad thing. It gives them something to do, gives them skills and a work ethic, etc. One can consider such labor to be part of their punishment. Firefighting is, I think, a very good use of the prison population as well (especially given our massive wildfire situation) but yeah, its totally uncool to keep them beyond their release dates for that or give them such miserly wages.

And in Oregon.
Great stull! I have owned some.
My sister worked for Oregon for nearly 30 years, and had direct contact with this program.
They supply most of the stull for other prisons and mental hospitals.

Barack and Michelle Obama endorse Kamala Harris | AP News - 9:22 AM PDT, July 26, 2024

Seems like every nationally prominent Democrat is lining up behind KH.

Manchin ponders running for Democratic nomination against Harris - 07/21/24 7:45 PM ET
He was the last to call for JB to end his campaign before JB did so.

A day later,
Manchin kills rumors on presidential bid; says Harris “too far to the left” for his endorsement • West Virginia Watch - July 22, 2024 3:41 pm

Progressive Rep. Cori Bush endorses Kamala Harris for president - 07/21/24 4:29 PM ET
and Cori Bush | My Statement on President Biden’s Decision to Step Down as Nominee and Endorsement of Kamala Harris for President ⬆️ | Instagram
"In these critical times where MAGA extremism and fascism is determined to set us backwards, our number one goal needs to be to defeat Trump in November. commend and thank President Biden for prioritizing our nation's needs; a decision that I am sure was a difficult one." then praising him for the successes, like student-loan forgiveness, climate investment, appointment of black women to the courts including Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, and choosing Kamala Harris as his Vice President.

That was the same day that Joe Biden ended his campaign. The others soon followed, with one exception.
  • Continue: Bernie Sanders, Ilhan Omar
  • July 21 Endorsed: Cori Bush
  • July 22 Endorsed: Jamaal Bowman, Greg Casar, Maxwell Frost, AOC, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, Delia Ramirez, Elizabeth Warren
  • July 23 Statement: Rashida Tlaib

To July 22 I add Becca Balint, Pramila Jayapal, Barbara Lee, Summer Lee, and Katie Porter.
There weren't any strong progressive stragglers, those who decided on July 23 or 24. They all seem to have decided by July 21 or 22.

Rashida Tlaib's unwillingness to endorse KH is from concern about her and Palestine.

Last edited:
AOC had made an Instagram Live video about her concerns about replacing Joe Biden as Presidential nominee. After he announced his quitting the race, he got some endorsements very quickly.

One of the first was from Cori Bush, as I'd mentioned. Here is her in a press conference that day: Missouri Congresswoman Cori Bush endorsed Kamala Harris after Biden drops out - YouTube

Later that day,
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "Kamala Harris ..." / X
Kamala Harris will be the next President of the United States. I pledge my full support to ensure her victory in November.

Now more than ever, it is crucial that our party and country swiftly unite to defeat Donald Trump and the threat to American democracy.

Let’s get to work.

Also,
Elizabeth Warren on X: "Joe Biden’s presidency has been transformational. ..." / X
Joe Biden’s presidency has been transformational. He accomplished more in the past four years — to bring back jobs, stand up to big corporations, and build an economy that works for all of us — than we have been able to get done in the last forty. He deserves full credit for beating Donald Trump in 2020, and his selfless decision today gives us our best shot at doing it again in 2024. While Donald Trump tried to tear down our democracy to maintain his grip on power, Joe Biden willingly stepped aside in order to protect our democracy. President Biden’s selfless action is a profound gift to the people of the United States — and it’s on all of us not to waste it.

I endorse Kamala Harris for President. She is a proven fighter who has been a national leader in safeguarding consumers and protecting access to abortion. As a former prosecutor, she can press a forceful case against allowing Donald Trump to regain the White House. We have many talented people in our party, but Vice President Harris is the person who was chosen by the voters to succeed Joe Biden if needed. She can unite our party, take on Donald Trump, and win in November.
This is worth some comment. In a theory by Arthurs Schlesinger I & II, a theory that I like, US history moves in cycles, alternating between liberal and conservative periods, periods of reform and of stagnation, and other such features of these periods. Cyclical theory (United States history) - Wikipedia - lib: Revolution, con: Hamilton, lib: Jefferson, con: Good Feelings, lib: Jackson, con: Slaveowner Dominance, lib: Civil War, con: Gilded Age, lib: Progressive Era, con: Roaring Twenties, lib: New Deal, con: Fifties, lib: Sixties, con: Reagan, Neoliberal, Gilded Age II, what we are now in.

The last big era of reform was the Sixties Era, over half a century ago, and Bernie Sanders is a veteran of civil-rights activism from that era. Since the late 1970's, and especially since 1980, we have been living in Gilded Age II.

I remember hoping that Bill Clinton would end it, and he seemed to promise that he would, but he spent the first two years of his Presidency on a complicated mess of a healthcare plan that he barely promoted when it was released. After that, he did not push for any big reforms. But the right wing hated him and his wife as if they were usurpers.

Then Barack Obama, with the much the same trajectory, though he succeeded with Obamacare where Bill Clinton failed. I remember the Wisconsin Revolt of 2011 and how President Obama barely paid it any attention, and also the Occupy movement, something that inspired numerous camps in city parks, but which did not survive the ending of those camps by city authorities. The Occupiers didn't seem to put much effort into finding campsites that they could have a more secure claim on. The right wing hated him and his wife also.

When Joe Biden got elected, he and Congressional Democrats first passed their American Rescue Plan, and they then moved on to an ambitious package called Build Back Better. But like Joe Lieberman with Obamacare, Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema obstructed it and only some of it got passed.

So Joe Biden is not quite Franklin Delano Roosevelt or Lyndon Baines Johnson, but then again, what they did was not passed in one fell swoop. But what he did was arguably much more than what Bill Clinton and Barack Obama had done.

Last edited:
Ted Lieu on X: "Four years ago I was the first Member of Congress to endorse Kamala Harris for President. So honored to endorse @KamalaHarris again for President.
Last weekend I had the honor to ride on Air Force Two with Vice President Harris. Next year Kamala Harris will be on Air Force One. (pic link)" / X
- July 21
Rather optimistic, I must say.

Ayanna Pressley on X: ".@KamalaHarris is a moral and empathetic leader.
She is poised, she is prepared, and she is qualified.
I vigorously endorse her to be our 47th President of the United States. (vid link)" / X
- July 21

Scott Wong on X: "BREAKING: PELOSI endorses HARRIS
"Politically, make no mistake: Kamala Harris as a woman in politics is brilliantly astute – and I have full confidence that she will lead us to victory in November." https://t.co/EHx5xtq6Dn" / X
- July 22

Lauren Underwood on X: "As a registered nurse and public health expert, I have been enormously proud to work with President Biden as he has always shown an unwavering commitment to the well-being of the American people. Today, I wholeheartedly endorse Kamala Harris for President of the United States. (pic link)" / X - July 21
With a more detailed statement in that image file.

JB Pritzker on X: "I am proud to endorse Vice President @KamalaHarris for President of the United States. (pix link)" / X - July 22
With a detailed statement in those image files.

Gretchen Whitmer on X: "Today, ... (vid link)" / X - July 22
Today, not only am I fired up to endorse @KamalaHarris for President of the United States, I’m proud to serve as a co-chair of her campaign.

In Vice President Harris, Michigan voters have a candidate they can count on to lower their costs, protect their freedoms, and build an economy that works for working people. Donald Trump is a convicted felon who stokes violence, overturned Roe, and drove our economy into the ground. We cannot let him anywhere near the White House.

Vice President Harris, you have my full support. Let’s win this.

Elizabeth Warren on X: "I endorse Vice President Kamala Harris. (vid link)" / X - July 21

Katie Porter on X: "When @KamalaHarris appointed me to be California Monitor during the foreclosure crisis, I saw up close how she took on tough fights to deliver for everyday people. She’s fearless, and she’s ready to lead as president. I wholeheartedly endorse her to be our Democratic nominee. (pic link)" / X - July 21

The Congresspeople here all endorsed on July 21, the day of Joe Biden's dropout, and the two governors on July 22, the next day.

Joe Manchin stated an interest in being nominated for President around then, but withdraw his statement of interest the next day.

The pattern continues.

Karen Bass on X: "California is stronger because of her work as Attorney General and Senator. ... " / X - July 21

Rep. Debbie Dingell on X: "President Biden is a dedicated public servant & dear friend ..." / X - July 21
President Biden is a dedicated public servant & dear friend who has helped me through some of life's most challenging moments, & I find myself crying now. Throughout his entire career & presidency, he & his administration have achieved monumental successes for the American people.

From lowering everyday costs & rebuilding our infrastructure to expanding access to health care for millions of veterans & delivering the most transformative climate & environmental justice agenda in history.

I am proud of his legacy of service to our nation & know he remains committed to continuing his important work through the remainder of his term. His leadership has helped build a stronger & more unified America & he has changed our country for the better.
Doing much more than Bill Clinton or Barack Obama, it seems. I'm reluctant to proclaim the end of Gilded Age II, but it looks like it is headed for its ending.

In the Schlesingers' theory, liberal periods end from society-scale activism burnout, and conservative periods end from unsolved social problems that provoke efforts to solve them. We seem to fit the end of a conservative period.

But it seems that Donald Trump is the Mule of US politics, with a hold on his fellow Republicans that is almost as if he controls them telepathically, as the Mule does in the Foundation series.

Maxwell Alejandro Frost on X: "I am proud to endorse Vice President @KamalaHarris to be President of the United States. Let’s get to work to defeat Trump and reject fascism. (pic link)" / X - July 21

Gregory Meeks on X: "VP @KamalaHarris is a proven leader who can deliver for the people! She has my full support and I am proud to endorse her! We must do all we can to ensure she is elected in November." / X - July 22
A straggler.

Several activist groups, like EMILY's List and Reproductive Freedom for All, also endorsed KH on July 21.

Well it's not fitting into the above-mentioned pattern, but another Republican has offered a full-throated endorsement of Harris:

In a swing state, no less.

Mesa Arizona Mayor John Giles (R) said:

Now more than ever, we need leaders who will put country over party.

I believe my party has a moral and ethical responsibility to restore faith in our democratic institutions. In the spirit of the late Sen. John McCain’s motto, “Country First,” I call on other Arizona Republicans to join me in choosing country over party this election and to vote against Donald Trump.

Since 2014, I have had the honor of being mayor of Mesa, the nation’s 36th-largest city and one of the most conservative. Under Trump, American cities didn’t get the support they deserved. Infrastructure week was made into a joke.

But under the Biden-Harris administration, Mesa has seen historic federal funding for the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, along with investments to make sure our streets and public transit systems benefit from modern technology.

With the CHIPS Act, Vice President Kamala Harris and President Joe Biden are delivering thousands of new jobs to Arizonans and helping us grow critical industries.

Trump poses a serious threat to our nation. We can’t have a felon representing us on the national stage, let alone one who would threaten to abandon NATO and ruin our standing abroad.

We are in a moment that only happens once every few generations, when we have to defend democracy, and stand up for the right to vote and our civil rights. It is essential that we proceed in a manner that strengthens, rather than diminishes, public confidence in our democratic institutions.

What kind of country do we want to live in?

We can choose a future for our children and grandchildren based on decency, respect and morality — or succumb to the crudeness and vulgarity of Trump and J.D. Vance and the far-right agenda they would champion.

Arizona leaders like McCain and Sen. Mark Kelly have embodied the commitment to country over party. And it’s that same high caliber of character and leadership I see in Vice President Harris.

Meanwhile, the Trump campaign is over the Moon celebrating today, and all that stuff about "uniting the country" just went out the window at light-speed. Stand by for virulent racism and misogyny.

I think we are seeing just the opposite. It is to be expected that Trump will express optimism that he can beat Harris, but he really had not planned for this. I think it throws a monkey wrench into their campaign strategy. The best he has been able to do until now is mock the way she laughs, but I think there is a good chance that she will be the one laughing on election night. I think she has a decent chance of winning, and she may help save some Democratic congressional campaigns.
I don't think she has a chance to beat Trump. Unless she is able to turn herself around from her current image as a cackling, unserious, kindergarten-esque teacher, there is no hope for her. If she had some stellar accomplishment as a VP that she could brag about, that would be something, but she doesn't really even have that. She is less likable than Hillary, and we all know how that came out.

No VP has “stellar accomplishments.” John Nance Garner, FDR’s veep twice, called the job “a bucket of warm piss.” The image of her as a “cackling, unserious, kindergarten-esque teacher” is the product of the Great Right-Wing Hate Machine, which also illustrated her a streetwalker soliciting johns after she was picked for veep in 2020.
The right wing hate machine is a fact of reality. Sexism is a fact of reality. The unlikeability of Harris among a segment of the population is a fact of reality. These facts better be taken realistically into account in any model that determines the odds she has to beat trump. If and only if she has the maximum odds of winning versus any other choice should she be the nominee.
The calculus isn't in a bubble. There are optics that need to be satisfied. I have a hard time thinking someone not Harris being able to pull off those optics.

More importantly, this is about name recognition. Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, VP Harris all have instant name recognition. The first two aren't happening. I'd say Chuck Schumer probably has instant recognition, but the Democrats likely start having issues with the instant recognition needed for this "late" of a start (celebrities do not count). There is no "Who is Harris?" Regarding likeability, yeah, she is facing Trump. I'm not worried about likeability. I'm worried about turnout, and there is every reason why she'd help support turnout. And Harris adds desperately needed youth to the race, of which was two unfavorable old candidates facing off.

This isn't a sure thing, but I have a hard time imaging anyone else managing the instant entry process. Not Newsom, Shapiro, Booker, etc...
Yeah. Sometimes it's not about selecting "the best piece" on the board but rather about "the only piece".

Harris could have become a candidate before Biden dropped his candidacy, and the result would be far different (she would have been seen as "divisive" and "selfish" and "gung-ho"). If she had, she would have done immense damage to the Democrats.

There is an order of operations, a series of plays, necessary to approach candidacy for president, and she's the only one who has done that work.

The prerogatives of the right wing noise machine be damned, because the things that give a left wing candidate "maximum odds" as much lay in the political machine of the left wing.

Seymour Hersh, who was once a great reporter, appears in recent years to have become a bullshit artist. I will remind you also that he is, gasp, 87 years old.

Funny how Barbos scoops up any Western media bullshit that agrees with what he already believes without evidence, while at the same time dismissing legitimate news stories backed with evidence as fake news. Sort of like Trump.

Probably Barbos likes Hersh because Hersh “reported,” using anonymous sources, which is bullshit, that the U.S.sabotaged the Nord Stream pipelines. OTOH, Barbos may not even know about that, since he appears to actually know nothing at all about anything.

Probably Barbos likes Hersh because Hersh “reported,” using anonymous sources, which is bullshit, that the U.S.sabotaged the Nord Stream pipelines. OTOH, Barbos may not even know about that, since he appears to actually know nothing at all about anything.
Hersch strikes me as one of the many intrepid reporters who got "high on their own supply" after making a splash in the Bush Jr. era. Greenwald comes to mind, as does Lara Logan, who went from serious journalist with stories airing on 60 Minutes to far right fringe conspiracy theorist.

Hersch strikes me as one of the many intrepid reporters who got "high on their own supply" after making a splash in the Bush Jr. era. Greenwald comes to mind, as does Lara Logan, who went from serious journalist with stories airing on 60 Minutes to far right fringe conspiracy theorist.

He has a much more impressive pedigree than that. He is the one who broke the My Lai massacre story, and he did investigative reporting on Watergate, among much else. Now he’s a bullshit artist, alas. Read here.

Back
Top Bottom