• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Biden drop out? Who replaces him?

The Obamas have now endorsed Harris.

This is why baseless speculation is often idiotic. Also, Trump is going to get thrashed.

This is why baseless speculation is often idiotic. Also, Trump is going to get thrashed.
We need some republicans like the Shrub to unflinchingly endorse Harris. Some of Orange Manboy's former hires like Bolton would also be nice.

We need some republicans like the Shrub to unflinchingly endorse Harris. Some of Orange Manboy's former hires like Bolton would also be nice.
Except W Bush was part of the Neocon wing and Project 2025 would have been their whapping material at night.

W is definitely a better person than Trump, but politician wise? Not that much.

So, one of her ancestors raped and impregnated an enslaved woman. Fairly ordinary occurrence. Has nothing to do with Harris’s character.

A significant number of black Americans are in fact descended from slave owners as rape was a common, everyday occurrence under slavery. Some of Thomas Jefferson’s descendants can claim ancestry from a POTUS who was also a slave owner. It’s likely that other early presidents who enslaved people also fathered children on women they had enslaved,
Kamala's descent from owners isn't through the slaves but through the owners.

There are conspiracy theories about Biden's signature on his memo dropping out of the campaign. There are also conspiracy theories about how Biden hasn't been seen since the memo dropping out of the campaign.
Biden has COVID. It would be highly irresponsible of him to appear in public until he is cleared to do so. Unlike your beloved leader who held parties during the height that of the pandemic, infecting many people, and came to his 2020 debate with Biden too late to undergo the mandatory COVID test—when he knew he had COVID—Biden actually cares about other people.
Who are you referring to as my "beloved leader"? Unlike you I don't have a leader. There are a very few politicians I respect but nobody refers to them as a leader.

I'm not surprised her record as a prosecutor has been memory-holed.

How Kamala Harris Fought to Keep Nonviolent Prisoners Locked Up
Kamala Harris’ A.G. Office Tried to Keep Inmates Locked Up for Cheap Labor
Democratic debate: Fact-checking the attacks on Kamala Harris’ criminal justice record

She fought to keep people locked up after their sentence was over so they could provide labor. She fought to keep innocent people locked up. Her attitude in this makes it clear her ancestors were slave owners.

Her views have allegedly evolved since then, but they have not been put to the test to find out if it is true.
Which makes her commendably tough on crime, right?
I am not "tough on crime." Because you can't tell the difference between a libertarian and an authoritarian? Biden supported the tough on crime bill that enabled Kamala to commit such atrocities as an attorney general.

On the other hand I'm not in favor of rioting and looting, which probably makes you think that I hold the position you wrongly ascribed to me. I have been a long time critic of police extremism.

Last edited:
So, one of her ancestors raped and impregnated an enslaved woman. Fairly ordinary occurrence. Has nothing to do with Harris’s character.

A significant number of black Americans are in fact descended from slave owners as rape was a common, everyday occurrence under slavery. Some of Thomas Jefferson’s descendants can claim ancestry from a POTUS who was also a slave owner. It’s likely that other early presidents who enslaved people also fathered children on women they had enslaved,

There are conspiracy theories about Biden's signature on his memo dropping out of the campaign. There are also conspiracy theories about how Biden hasn't been seen since the memo dropping out of the campaign.
Biden has COVID. It would be highly irresponsible of him to appear in public until he is cleared to do so. Unlike your beloved leader who held parties during the height that of the pandemic, infecting many people, and came to his 2020 debate with Biden too late to undergo the mandatory COVID test—when he knew he had COVID—Biden actually cares about other people.
Who are you referring to as my "beloved leader"? Unlike you I don't have a leader. There are a very few politicians I respect but nobody refers to them as a leader.

I'm not surprised her record as a prosecutor has been memory-holed.

How Kamala Harris Fought to Keep Nonviolent Prisoners Locked Up
Kamala Harris’ A.G. Office Tried to Keep Inmates Locked Up for Cheap Labor
Democratic debate: Fact-checking the attacks on Kamala Harris’ criminal justice record

She fought to keep people locked up after their sentence was over so they could provide labor. She fought to keep innocent people locked up. Her attitude in this makes it clear her ancestors were slave owners.

Her views have allegedly evolved since then, but they have not been put to the test to find out if it is true.
Which makes her commendably tough on crime, right?
I am not "tough on crime." Because you can't tell the difference between a libertarian and an authoritarian? Biden supported the tough on crime bill that enabled Kamala to commit such atrocities as an attorney general.

On the other hand I'm not in favor of rioting and looting, which probably makes you think that I hold the position you wrongly ascribed to me. I have been a long time critic of police extremism.
Kamala Harris does have an ancestor ( according to her father (who is black and was born in Jamaica)who was a slaver and plantation owner who was born in Ulster Scotland and clearly was white. Her father is clearly black. It is not difficult to understand how that happened.

Unless you don’t want to understand.

I do not know why her father never named any of his female ancestors or his mother. 5

It is very obviously both.

Which is extremely common in Jamaica.
I am very encouraged by the fact that even libbertards have to reach back generations to try to tar the Dem candidate by impugning her ancestors.
It’s a stark contrast to The Felon, whose idiocy and atrocity is re-born every day right here in the present.

Democratic delegate tracker: How many are backing Kamala Harris? - The Washington Post
She needs 1,976 votes to secure the nomination and has been endorsed by many more delegates than that. As of July 26, the final day of the unofficial survey, 3,359 delegates said they would pledge their support for Harris.

Democratic delegates cite new energy while rallying behind Kamala Harris for president | AP News
After weeks of intraparty division over President Joe Biden’s candidacy, delegates to the upcoming Democratic National Convention on Tuesday rallied rapidly and enthusiastically behind Vice President Kamala Harris as their party’s new presidential candidate.

Suddenly, some delegates said, they have a lot more to look forward to at their national meeting in Chicago.

“Before it felt like a convention, but now it feels like a party,” said Gabriella Cázares-Kelly, a Democratic delegate from Arizona.
The Democrats' convention will be a coronation, but a very happy coronation, it seems.

Democratic delegates on Biden’s exit – and Harris’s rise: ‘We’re awestruck’ | US elections 2024 | The Guardian - "Officials say the transition is fueling new energy as they address questions over the process of choosing a new candidate"

I haven't seen this enthusiasm since Barack Obama's first Presidential candidacy in 2008.

Last edited:
It is very obviously both.

Which is extremely common in Jamaica.
I am very encouraged by the fact that even libbertards have to reach back generations to try to tar the Dem candidate by impugning her ancestors.
It’s a stark contrast to The Felon, whose idiocy and atrocity is re-born every day right here in the present.
Not to mention obvious hypocrisy! These are the same people who say there should be no formal reparations or even apologies for government-backed slavery of American citizens because it happened in The Past and we have to let The Past go and not blame the living for the mistakes of the dead...

I do think we should have a conversation about the American aristocracy and its ties to the institution of slavery, past and present. But that's obviously not what these pundits are keen to have. This is just a "gotcha". If we started asking questions like "So which politicians (in both parties) currently invest in companies, corporations, and funds that benefit from slave labor?" they would backpedal on their own arguments so fast their bike wheels would fall off.

Harris herself as California AG directly acted to oblige prisoners (who might otherwise have been eligible for early release!) to perform extremely dangerous and specialized labor fighting wildfires for only a dollar a day, a situation only possible because of the "slavery loophole" in our national Constitution. This, to me, is a more pressing and disturbing issue than simply having a slave-owning ancestor. But you're not going to hear Republicans complain about that, because they are nearly a solid bloc against any further reforms of American enslavement law. If someone started questioning whether we ought to outlaw modern slavery, politicians in both parties would stand to lose millions of dollars. What is more shameful, to be distantly related to someone who owned slaves, or to abuse the power you have as a US senator or representative to oppose abolition in the present day?

How Kamala Harris Took Command of the Democratic Party in 48 Hours - The New York Times
Late on Sunday morning, Vice President Kamala Harris summoned a small clutch of her closest advisers and allies to the Naval Observatory, where she lives and works, with little notice and even less information.

President Biden had informed Ms. Harris earlier that morning that he was withdrawing from the race. The vice president had assembled her team so that the exact moment Mr. Biden formally quit, at 1:46 p.m. — one minute after the president had informed his own senior staff — they were ready to go.

Time was of the essence. A sprawling call list of the most important Democrats to reach had been prepared in advance, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The vice president, in sneakers and a sweatshirt, began methodically dialing Democratic power brokers.

“I wasn’t going to let this day go by without you hearing from me,” Ms. Harris had said over and over, as day turned to night, according to five people who received her calls or were briefed on them.
Biden campaign ramping up outreach to lawmakers amid concerns about whether he should stay on the ticket - CBS News - July 8, 2024 / 3:34 AM EDT - "Mr. Biden has personally made 20 calls to congressional members since last month's presidential debate in Atlanta and additional calls are expected, a campaign official confirms to CBS News."

But KH made 100 calls in 10 hours, and her campaigners set up a whip operation to convince convention delegates to choose her.
Within 48 hours, Ms. Harris had functionally cleared the Democratic field of every serious rival, clinched the support of more delegates than needed to secure the party nomination, raised more than $100 million and delivered a crisper message against former President Donald J. Trump than Mr. Biden had mustered in months.
No wonder Donald Trump seems so afraid of her. She's much more vigorous than Joe Biden.
Overall, the embrace of Ms. Harris was so widespread that congressional Republicans stopped tracking which vulnerable Democrats had endorsed her and kept tabs on only the smaller list of who had not.

Money, meanwhile, was gushing into the campaign. The Harris campaign said in a memo that as of Tuesday evening it had topped $126 million raised since Mr. Biden’s exit.

On Sunday at the Naval Observatory, her team had worked into the night, ordering pizza and salad from Andy’s, a local Washington, D.C., chain, with anchovies on the vice president’s pizza. By the next night, less than 36 hours after Mr. Biden’s exit, Ms. Harris had secured the support of a majority of the delegates that she needs to win the nomination next month. By Tuesday, she had locked down the backing of more than 3,100 of the party’s 4,000 total delegates, according to an Associated Press survey.

The Harris takeover was completed early on Tuesday afternoon, just before the 48-hour mark since Mr. Biden’s exit, when the two Democratic congressional leaders, Senator Chuck Schumer and Representative Hakeem Jeffries, both of New York, endorsed Ms. Harris.

Harris herself as California AG directly acted to oblige prisoners (who might otherwise have been eligible for early release!) to perform extremely dangerous and specialized labor fighting wildfires for only a dollar a day, a situation only possible because of the "slavery loophole" in our national Constitution. This, to me, is a more pressing and disturbing issue than simply having a slave-owning ancestor. But you're not going to hear Republicans complain about that, because they are nearly a solid bloc against any further reforms of American enslavement law. If someone started questioning whether we ought to outlaw modern slavery, politicians in both parties would stand to lose millions of dollars. What is more shameful, to be distantly related to someone who owned slaves, or to abuse the power you have as a US senator or representative to oppose abolition in the present day?
I think I was the first to mention that here, and was called "MAGA" for my efforts. Welcome to the club I guess.

On Sunday at the Naval Observatory, her team had worked into the night, ordering pizza and salad from Andy’s, a local Washington, D.C., chain, with anchovies on the vice president’s pizza.
Oh, Kamala likes FLAVOR, too??? Outrageous. Donny Boy is flipping his ketchup onto the walls over this one, I'm sure!

We have used prisoners in CA to do things like make license plates, which I don't really think of as a bad thing. It gives them something to do, gives them skills and a work ethic, etc. One can consider such labor to be part of their punishment. Firefighting is, I think, a very good use of the prison population as well (especially given our massive wildfire situation) but yeah, its totally uncool to keep them beyond their release dates for that or give them such miserly wages.

I would like to hear more about this "slavery loophole", though. I'm not so sure its right to blame all this on the Republicans. There have been times in the past when Democrats had control of the government and could have passed such reform, no? And what about California? We've had a supermajority in the legislature and a Dem gov for a long time. Surely they could have done something about it?

Finally, this whole business about whether someone had ancestors who were a slave or slaveholder is just ridiculous. It means nothing, other than a mildly curious footnote in someone's ancestry that might make for interesting cocktail party conversation. But that's it.

Declining to give them early release is NOT holding them beyond the term of their sentence. Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom