• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Biden drop out? Who replaces him?

It is going to be very hard for them to dislodge a defiant Joe Biden, and he continues to behave as if the groundswell of opposition to him in his own party is some kind of elitist conspiracy that will melt away. I listened to his extended call into Morning Joe this morning, and it sounded much the same, if not worse, than the interview with Stephanopoulos. He is doing nothing to restore confidence in his campaign, and every stumble he takes just worsens the meltdown in support for him. Those who are trying to prop him up are doing the party no favors. It looks inevitable that he will either find a way to drop out gracefully, or he will put himself ahead of his party and his country. The problems he is experiencing are not going to simply fade away, but he is acting as if they will. All he has to do is keep reminding people of what a great job he did in the past and how bad Donald Trump is for the country while maintaining that he is as fit as ever for a second term. Meanwhile, he still struggles to express all of that in reasonably coherent English and refuses to consider any cognitive exam in which the results might help to calm people down. He clearly feels that the results would be what people fear. He should at least have the presence of mind to offer to take any such exam that Donald Trump will.
What exactly can Mr Biden do to restore confidence in his campaign? You really think any sort of positive cognitive test will pacify alarmist ninnies upset about a stupid one off debate performance?

By any objective measure, Mr Biden is more coherent than Mr Trump. Right now, the media is playing along with the partisan and popular confusion of yelling lies with competence. Mr Biden needs to persistently and dramatically play up the difference between competence and flashy but nasty incompetence. Right now the race reminds me of the fable of the race between tge turtle and the hare.

It is going to be very hard for them to dislodge a defiant Joe Biden, and he continues to behave as if the groundswell of opposition to him in his own party is some kind of elitist conspiracy that will melt away. I listened to his extended call into Morning Joe this morning, and it sounded much the same, if not worse, than the interview with Stephanopoulos. He is doing nothing to restore confidence in his campaign, and every stumble he takes just worsens the meltdown in support for him. Those who are trying to prop him up are doing the party no favors. It looks inevitable that he will either find a way to drop out gracefully, or he will put himself ahead of his party and his country. The problems he is experiencing are not going to simply fade away, but he is acting as if they will. All he has to do is keep reminding people of what a great job he did in the past and how bad Donald Trump is for the country while maintaining that he is as fit as ever for a second term. Meanwhile, he still struggles to express all of that in reasonably coherent English and refuses to consider any cognitive exam in which the results might help to calm people down. He clearly feels that the results would be what people fear. He should at least have the presence of mind to offer to take any such exam that Donald Trump will.
What exactly can Mr Biden do to restore confidence in his campaign? You really think any sort of positive cognitive test will pacify alarmist ninnies upset about a stupid one off debate performance?

I really don't see anything he can do to restore confidence in his campaign. I think he is toast at this point. That's why I think Harris would be more electable. Biden's electability is likely to drop further, as everyone focuses on his every misstep and mispronunciation. It seems obvious that he simply isn't able to articulate the case for electing himself or downballot Democrats. I wish it weren't so, but I can't imagine how the mess caused by his ill-considered early debate is going to blow over.

As for a cognitive test, I think that it would give poor results for both Biden and Trump. However, Biden keeps getting asked to take such a test, and that sounds like a reasonable request to viewers of these interviews. To shut that down, all he has to do is agree to take any test that Donald Trump also agrees to take. Trump is no more anxious to have the results of such a test made public than Biden is, but both men keep attacking each other's mental fitness. So I don't think either man would agree to a cognitive bake-off. Right now, it looks like Biden is afraid to take such a test and Trump is not, because no one is seriously claiming that he should. I don't know why Biden's advisers don't get him to make such an offer, but maybe they do think that Trump would come off better than Biden. It would be pretty easy for both camps to not reach agreement on the conditions for taking such a test.

By any objective measure, Mr Biden is more coherent than Mr Trump. Right now, the media is playing along with the partisan and popular confusion of yelling lies with competence. Mr Biden needs to persistently and dramatically play up the difference between competence and flashy but nasty incompetence. Right now the race reminds me of the fable of the race between tge turtle and the hare.

Neither Trump nor Biden will be judged objectively, even though I agree with you that Trump has worse cognitive deficits. The problem is that Biden has such difficulty defending himself coherently that he appears less coherent than Mr. Gish Gallop. Trump's motor mouth is already baked into the public conscience, so it ceases to shock people when he spouts nonsense. They expect it, and his supporters see it as an endearing trait. Biden can't express incoherent nonsense as smoothly, but he can't seem to get out more than a sentence or two without stumbling over how to end the sentence, even when he is expressing a coherent thought. The pressure he is under now with his crumbling support just makes him sound less coherent as he rambles on and on about all of the good things he has done and bad things that Trump has done. He doesn't know how to simplify his message and often uses jargon that many in his audience won't be familiar with. Trump wanders off topic a lot, but it is more expected of him.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that in order to whisper in someone's ear, you have to be in the same room as them.
The image is not to be taken literally. But the Left is having a lot of influence on Biden - starting with the $3.5T Spendapalooza which is just a slightly downsized version of the spending plan Bernie Sandersman the White proposed.
? If this is your criteria, I'd run from Trump. Trump borrowed twice as much as Biden did:

Covid has totally fucked up the budget, I wouldn't read too much into 2020 or beyond.

But we can look earlier--as normal, Republican president, deficits rise.

I'm pretty sure that in order to whisper in someone's ear, you have to be in the same room as them.
The image is not to be taken literally. But the Left is having a lot of influence on Biden - starting with the $3.5T Spendapalooza which is just a slightly downsized version of the spending plan Bernie Sandersman the White proposed.
? If this is your criteria, I'd run from Trump. Trump borrowed twice as much as Biden did:

Covid has totally fucked up the budget, I wouldn't read too much into 2020 or beyond.

But we can look earlier--as normal, Republican president, deficits rise.
Totally agree. But the issue is that republicans always bitch about the deficit and illegal immigration. Here's the deal: what the hell do they do about either issue? They are incredible hypocrites. The deficit went up during republican administrations, down during Clinton administration.

I really don't see anything he can do to restore confidence in his campaign. I think he is toast at this point. That's why I think Harris would be more electable. Biden's electability is likely to drop further, as everyone focuses on his every misstep and mispronunciation. It seems obvious that he simply isn't able to articulate the case for electing himself or downballot Democrats. I wish it weren't so, but I can't imagine how the mess caused by his ill-considered early debate is going to blow over.

As for a cognitive test, I think that it would give poor results for both Biden and Trump. However, Biden keeps getting asked to take such a test, and that sounds like a reasonable request to viewers of these interviews. To shut that down, all he has to do is agree to take any test that Donald Trump also agrees to take. Trump is no more anxious to have the results of such a test made public than Biden is, but both men keep attacking each other's mental fitness. So I don't think either man would agree to a cognitive bake-off. Right now, it looks like Biden is afraid to take such a test and Trump is not, because no one is seriously claiming that he should. I don't know why Biden's advisers don't get him to make such an offer, but maybe they do think that Trump would come off better than Biden. It would be pretty easy for both camps to not reach agreement on the conditions for taking such a test.

Neither Trump nor Biden will be judged objectively, even though I agree with you that Trump has worse cognitive deficits. The problem is that Biden has such difficulty defending himself coherently that he appears less coherent than Mr. Gish Gallop. Trump's motor mouth is already baked into the public conscience, so it ceases to shock people when he spouts nonsense. They expect it, and his supporters see it as an endearing trait. Biden can't express incoherent nonsense as smoothly, but he can't seem to get out more than a sentence or two without stumbling over how to end the sentence, even when he is expressing a coherent thought. The pressure he is under now with his crumbling support just makes him sound less coherent as he rambles on and on about all of the good things he has done and bad things that Trump has done. He doesn't know how to simplify his message and often uses jargon that many in his audience won't be familiar with. Trump wanders off topic a lot, but it is more expected of him.
Perhaps I have unwarranted optimism about the wisdom of the remaining “ centrist” voters. I think if this incessant chicken little handwringing over Mr Biden’s “senility” subsided, he’d have a better shot at convincing those voters.

IMO, Ms Harris has no chance of beating Mr Trump. She is jawdroppingly uninspiring to this voter.

Perhaps I have unwarranted optimism about the wisdom of the remaining “ centrist” voters. I think if this incessant chicken little handwringing over Mr Biden’s “senility” subsided, he’d have a better shot at convincing those voters.

IMO, Ms Harris has no chance of beating Mr Trump. She is jawdroppingly uninspiring to this voter.

I hope you are right, but you must know that the "incessant chicken little handwringing" is not going to stop. Wishful thinking won't make it happen. Biden won't be getting any younger. His speech impediment isn't going to get better, nor will his political instincts. I don't think he has dementia, but he is showing the inevitable decline of old age in a super critical job that requires the drive and stamina of a younger mature individual. Neither of these men are really fit for that office, although the bigoted, poorly educated, mendacious, corrupt rapist and fraudster was arguably unsuitable even as a younger man. Half of the public seems willing to give him another shot at destroying our system of government, and Biden is presenting himself as the only one who can stop Trump.

Harris may be uninspiring to you, but, if you think handwringing over Biden's flaws is a bad idea, what makes you think that handwringing over hers is going to help? She has her flaws, but she is better able to present the case for electing Democrats than Joe Biden at this point in time. If you can overlook Biden's flaws and deficits, you can overlook hers.

If the Democrats force out a proven effective leader in Biden because of stupid and ageist concerns from one debate performance, they will kiss my vote good bye. I suspect they will insure a Trump victory if that SOB is still alive.
Sorry. No matter who the democratic nominee is, vote for them. I can’t believe anyone would fail to vote Democrat in this election. And it’s irrelevant why Biden is not the nominee. Vote Democratic. Our future really does depend on it.

What I find problematic about various Democrats calling for Biden to step down as Presidential candidate is timing issues. It seems that they are doing this in response to the debate and the alleged Trump victory in the debate.
If they had come out six months ago and suggested that the Democratic Party should choose a younger candidate, then they would have more plausibility.
At this point, they are hurting far more than helping.

She has her flaws, but she is better able to present the case for electing Democrats than Joe Biden at this point in time.
how has she done this other than simply being VP? What kinds of things has she done to instill confidence in her ability to both win the election and be a good president? I honestly don’t know. I have barely seen any public appearances of her, at least substantive ones.

I hope you are right, but you must know that the "incessant chicken little handwringing" is not going to stop. Wishful thinking won't make it happen. Biden won't be getting any younger. His speech impediment isn't going to get better, nor will his political instincts. I don't think he has dementia, but he is showing the inevitable decline of old age in a super critical job that requires the drive and stamina of a younger mature individual. Neither of these men are really fit for that office, although the bigoted, poorly educated, mendacious, corrupt rapist and fraudster was arguably unsuitable even as a younger man. Half of the public seems willing to give him another shot at destroying our system of government, and Biden is presenting himself as the only one who can stop Trump.

Harris may be uninspiring to you, but, if you think handwringing over Biden's flaws is a bad idea, what makes you think that handwringing over hers is going to help? She has her flaws, but she is better able to present the case for electing Democrats than Joe Biden at this point in time. If you can overlook Biden's flaws and deficits, you can overlook hers.
I am not handwringing, I don’t think she has a chance. Biden beat Trump once. If people stop this false narrative of him bring “unfit” for office, he can do it again.

... She has her flaws, but she is better able to present the case for electing Democrats than Joe Biden at this point in time.
how has she done this other than simply being VP? What kinds of things has she done to instill confidence in her ability to both win the election and be a good president? I honestly don’t know. I have barely seen any public appearances of her, at least substantive ones.

Yes, that has been a big problem, but Joe Biden has done nothing to groom her as a potential replacement, and I think we both know why. He wants to be the only alternative to Donald Trump, and he keeps making the point that only he can defeat Trump. His debate performance gave the lie to that argument, and he knows full well that Kamala Harris is qualified to campaign against Trump. But to do so, she needs him to endorse her, and he simply will not move aside to let her build a case for people to support her. She has been, and still is, stuck in the role of being his understudy and sidekick. Right where he wants her. He has made this election all about himself or Trump, and he has shown that he may not be up for the task. Thanks to his ill-conceived decision to debate Trump even before the Democratic convention, he has put himself in the position of having to devote most of his time to trying to repair his damaged reelection campaign rather than do the job he was hired to do--run the country. And his efforts have so far done nothing to restore confidence in his candidacy.

I am not handwringing, I don’t think she has a chance. Biden beat Trump once. If people stop this false narrative of him bring “unfit” for office, he can do it again.

I am not handwringing either. I genuinely believe that Donald Trump cannot do it again and that his supporters are in denial. Joe Biden is neither the only nor the best candidate that Democrats have to run against Donald Trump. He may just become one of the weakest.

False? Please, give me a break. The man undeniably has serious cognitive issues. I’m sorry. It’s just bullshit that they’re throwing at us. The man is unfit. I’ll vote for him before I vote for trump. But Copernicus is right. Not trump is not going to be good enough to motivate people to show up for him.

Funny how Biden is being dragged for his "lack of vitality" despite being quite actively campaigning and keeping a frankly insane schedule since the debate, where Trump has just... disappeared. No appearances, no interviews, nothing, he's just missing. So vigorous!

Funny how Biden is being dragged for his "lack of vitality" despite being quite actively campaigning and keeping a frankly insane schedule since the debate, where Trump has just... disappeared. No appearances, no interviews, nothing, he's just missing. So vigorous!
Talking about Biden because he fumbled terribly in the debate. Had Biden done well in the debate, this wouldn't be much of a discussion other than more clips from The Daily Mail being shared by its content aggregator.

Trump? It doesn't matter what he does. It just doesn't matter. He is the asterisk of politics. Trump could disappear until November and he'll still get no less than 45% of the vote. He could pass away and still get no less than 45% of the vote.

The "false narrative" is a bear trap Biden walked right into at the debate. Biden could be fine and had a bad night, but the perception sticks. Look at Romney and his "binder full of women" retort and how that stuck. Or Dana Carvey's HW Bush "Not gonna do it" act that HW Bush never said, but lives on. In US politics, the truth isn't as important as the perception, Trump is living proof of that. Even George W Bush was a reflection of image over actual identity.

The list of Dems calling for Biden to drop out is getting top heavy. Four senior House Democrats are wanting it. We are in a position of lack of certainty. It isn't an illegitimate question to ask if Biden is up for it. Yes, the alt-right tabloid media will do what they did with Hillary Clinton regarding health like the alt-right did with Obama's identity as well. And How the right-wing media attacked Bill Clinton. But when the elected official is going to be past 85 and he is already getting tired now, it isn't an illegitimate question to raise. Biden is allowed to have an off day, but when the off day is one of the most visible days of the campaign, it can be devastating. Polling is not looking friendly. While Biden's numbers should improve, but I'm not happy with New Hampshire and Maine at the moment. If Biden is going to run, he has to run. But he also has a job.

Biden will have an effective and competent team around him to govern, no matter if Biden goes Ronald Reagan. Trump will not, we know this. The new wave Project 2025 GOP is a detrimental threat to our democracy and the rights of every person that had to fight to get them over the last 175 years. I personally don't like the proposition of voting for the system of the candidate in lieu of the candidate, however.

Yes, Trump is old too. And he disappeared for over a week. But reality and truth don't impact Trump's support. He is the largest exception to the rule in politics in our history.

Yes, amusing. Just like statehouses in Louisiana, Missouri, and at least 4 other states with proposed laws that make define abortion as homicide and would lead to murder charges against women who got one. Just like states where investigating miscarriages is now a police function.

Trump is not president right now, this is happening under Brandon's watch.

The video is just silly.
This is the court that the GOP built under W and Trump. These states are considering this legislation because SCOTUS ruled there is no Constitutional protection to an abortion and Thomas indicated that they should also look at all the protections presumed to exist by SCOTUS tied to the right to privacy.

• In Texas, a woman went to a court to get permission to get an emergency abortion due to a failed pregnancy. The State Attorney General sued to reverse the permission. The State Supreme Court ruled the doctor wasn't sure enough the pregnancy was invalid, while also stating they want to defer to the professional opinion of doctors.
  • Texas towns are making it a crime to drive on their roads to get an abortion (in state or out of state).
  • A 12 year old rape victim in Ohio went to Indiana for an abortion, and the Indiana Attorney General made political hay out of her, and threatened the doctor.
  • Ohio State members in the Legislature were investigating how to do a run around on the abortion protections pass by the people of the state.
  • The GOP in the Senate (and would have in the House) voted against recognizing the right to birth control related medication and tools.
All of this thanks to the Dobbs decision and the SCOTUS's tendency to make up whatever rulings they want to thanks to the justices put forth by W and Trump.

Talking about Biden because he fumbled terribly in the debate. Had Biden done well in the debate, this wouldn't be much of a discussion other than more clips from The Daily Mail being shared by its content aggregator.

Trump? It doesn't matter what he does. It just doesn't matter. He is the asterisk of politics. Trump could disappear until November and he'll still get no less than 45% of the vote. He could pass away and still get no less than 45% of the vote.
Trump also fumbled badly in the debate. He failed to answer a single question, told a bunch of easily discoverable lies, seemed utterly unaware of what was even going on for long stretches, and afterward, fucked off back to the geezer state for a two week long nap.

As to Trump being the asterisk of politics, yes, I know. That's what I'm complaining about.

Back
Top Bottom