• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Trump finally be indicted in Georgia?

I’m worried that too many of my Republican colleagues in Congress are infected with the same loser mentality that infected Congress in the early days of the Mueller investigation.This isn’t complicated. If House Republicans take action, Jack Smith could be the first prosecutor to bring a case while under criminal contempt himself.

Merrick Garland could be subject to impeachment if he refuses to enforce that criminal contempt.Speaker McCarthy could set up a Select Committee tomorrow, bring President Trump in for testimony, and grant him immunity.

I don't think this is the winning argument Gaetz thinks it is. "Trump is innocent! Therefore we must give him immunity for all the crimes he committed!". Maybe Matty should stick to what he knows - trafficking underage girls over state lines.

There are enough folks in the indictment to find someone that will cut a deal and squeal on Big Guy. What does Trump call that? He calls it "flipping" -- just like a mob boss talks. Rudy the Ox and Donny Manboobs may be going down after all.

There are enough folks in the indictment to find someone that will cut a deal and squeal on Big Guy. What does Trump call that? He calls it "flipping" -- just like a mob boss talks. Rudy the Ox and Donny Manboobs may be going down after all.
And my understanding is that “unindicted co-conspirator” often refers to someone who has already cooperated with the prosecution.

Jebus, that is a heavy indictment. Trump is fucked. He can play the Federal court card at least regarding some aspects of electoral college fraud, but he doesn't have that potential veil of protection in a state court. They make-a the rules and the Constitution doesn't protect him at all. So I'd say, next to the DC trial, this is his biggest risk of conviction. Well him, and a lot of other people who'll likely be making plea deals unless an insurrection is being planned.
Next up. 6 months pre-trial detention at Florence ADX for witness intimidation.

His body guards will just have to suck it up.
Why... because Ivanka won't be there?

Ooooohhhhhhhhh.... I get what you meant. Never mind.
The Assclown in Chief will try to get the whole thing moved to federal court so he or one of his suckers can dismiss it.
Can't even try that. He broke Georgia laws and Georgia is in charge of its electors. There is no federal cover here.

Jebus, that is a heavy indictment. Trump is fucked. He can play the Federal court card at least regarding some aspects of electoral college fraud, but he doesn't have that potential veil of protection in a state court. They make-a the rules and the Constitution doesn't protect him at all. So I'd say, next to the DC trial, this is his biggest risk of conviction. Well him, and a lot of other people who'll likely be making plea deals unless an insurrection is being planned.

The Assclown in Chief will try to get the whole thing moved to federal court so he or one of his suckers can dismiss it.
Can't even try that. He broke Georgia laws and Georgia is in charge of its electors. There is no federal cover here.
Don't be distracted from the fact that the tactic is delay, delay, delay.

As for Rudy the Ox perhaps I'm not getting it but I can't think of a good name for a mob lieutenant who's hair melts.

Don't be distracted from the fact that the tactic is delay, delay, delay.

As for Rudy the Ox perhaps I'm not getting it but I can't think of a good name for a mob lieutenant who's hair melts.
Rudy = The Jailhouse Jasper

He went to Manhattan College and they are the Jaspers.

It is getting even better!

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis told Donald Trump and others charged that they must submit for arrest by Friday at noon.

"Subsequent to the indictment, as is the normal process in Georgia law, the grand jury issued arrest warrants for those who are charged. I am giving the defendants the opportunity to voluntarily surrender no later than noon on Friday the 25th day of Aug., 2023," she told the press late on Monday night.

After announcing the names of those who are being indicted, she also listed off the premise of her indictment of the 19 individuals and 41 counts.

Federal prosecutors have been very gentle with Trump. No handcuffs. No perp walk. No mugshot. I find it hard to believe that Fani Willis will go the distance of treating Trump's arrest like that of anyone else, and it might be difficult to get Trump-supporting law officers to treat him that way either. In effect, he is in the custody of the Secret Service, so it isn't really necessary to restrain him. I expect at least a mugshot. We'll see how it plays out.

Federal prosecutors have been very gentle with Trump. No handcuffs. No perp walk. No mugshot. I find it hard to believe that Fani Willis will go the distance of treating Trump's arrest like that of anyone else, and it might be difficult to get Trump-supporting law officers to treat him that way either. In effect, he is in the custody of the Secret Service, so it isn't really necessary to restrain him. I expect at least a mugshot. We'll see how it plays out.
Well, the Secret Service has not actually restrained him, have they? He has fairly consistently made threats and denigrated various officials bringing charges against him as well as witnesses. I don’t see that changing and certainly not because of his SS detail who may well have been all in for kidnapping Mike Pence on Jan. 6.

Will they allow him to flee the country? Probably not but I don’t see that as being an impossibility.

I think that the Republican former Lt. Governor of Georgia, Geoff Duncan, says it best. It is time for Republicans to acknowledge that Trump has driven their party into the ditch. What I find most chilling about his take on the situation is that, if Republicans could get up the courage to ditch Trump, they would have a very good chance of winning the presidency. They probably won't be able to do that, but Democrats really need to consider that possibility, as they rush to reelect a very old leader who isn't a good campaigner and whose age is going to dog him every step of the way. I don't see Biden easily beating any Republican other than Donald Trump. Even Ron DeSantis would have a good chance at beating him, given the propensity of Republicans to fall into lockstep behind any nominee they select and the propensity of Democrats to fall out of lockstep just as easily.

Geoff Duncan on Trump: Taking our Republican Party straight to the ditch

I think that the Republican former Lt. Governor of Georgia, Geoff Duncan, says it best. It is time for Republicans to acknowledge that Trump has driven their party into the ditch.
I'd be very interested in Sohy's take on Mr Duncan. She's a lot closer and better informed about the players in Georgia.

Is Duncan closer to being an old school Republican who managed to survive the TeaParty era or the more current sort ready to jettison Trumpist baggage for a more convenient political landscape?
Of course, there's a huge gray area in between.
Tom

There is probably enough hard, high quality evidence against all concerned, no flipping on anybody's part is necessary. That is why this indictment thundered down on everybody.

Sen. Tim Scott is saying the Justice System is being weaponized.

article said:
GOP presidential candidate Tim Scott responded to the latest indictment of Donald Trump by saying that the country’s legal system is “being weaponized against political opponents” and describing that development as “un-American and unacceptable.”

“At the end of the day, we need a better system than that,” Scott told reporters at the Iowa State Fair on Tuesday. “I frankly hope to be the president of the United States — where we have an opportunity to restore confidence and integrity in all of our justice in the country.”

Hmm... where were you when they evacuated the Capitol Building when this was happening?

Insurrection-B.jpeg

Fuck you Senator.

I think that the Republican former Lt. Governor of Georgia, Geoff Duncan, says it best. It is time for Republicans to acknowledge that Trump has driven their party into the ditch. What I find most chilling about his take on the situation is that, if Republicans could get up the courage to ditch Trump, they would have a very good chance of winning the presidency. They probably won't be able to do that, but Democrats really need to consider that possibility, as they rush to reelect a very old leader who isn't a good campaigner and whose age is going to dog him every step of the way. I don't see Biden easily beating any Republican other than Donald Trump. Even Ron DeSantis would have a good chance at beating him, given the propensity of Republicans to fall into lockstep behind any nominee they select and the propensity of Democrats to fall out of lockstep just as easily.

Geoff Duncan on Trump: Taking our Republican Party straight to the ditch
I’m not certain I agree with you re: Biden’s chances against most GOP candidates. Even among lefties/left leaning and centrists among my Dem family and friends, there IS concern about Biden’s age. Unfortunately I don’t see a very likely Dem replacement. Fir the GOP, I think we cannot underestimate Tim Scott who I think would stand a good chance against Biden. He’s young, attractive, gives the GOP cover to pretend they aren’t racist and speaks well to religious conservatives.

But re: Biden. I was unhappy that he entered the race. But I think he has performed very far above my expectations for him. Unfortunately I don’t see Kamala Harris taking over the reigns unless there is a truly unfortunate event. I have a lot of respect for her, but she’s not terribly electable. There are too many who are willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces, as my mother used to say and let the pursuit of the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I’ll vote for Biden again, unless there is an extremely compelling reason for me not to do so.

And I will continue to hope like heck that we get some younger, and strong candidates coming forward.

I do not see myself ever voting for a member of the GOP. What has the party come to, not only supporting Trump but when a Cheney is the voice of morals and reason in the party, they are lost forever.

I’ll vote for Biden again, unless there is an extremely compelling reason for me not to do so.

And I will continue to hope like heck that we get some younger, and strong candidates coming forward.

I do not see myself ever voting for a member of the GOP. What has the party come to, not only supporting Trump but when a Cheney is the voice of morals and reason in the party, they are lost forever.

Every last bit of this!

(Except maybe the forever part, forever is a long day.)

I'm not exactly Mr Bleeding Heart Liberal. I'm not fond of Biden nor Harris. But I'd vote for a turnip on a stick if that's the best the Democratic Party comes up with. Because the Republican Party has so completely lost any credibility concerning ethics or American Values.
And in the current political landscape any third party vote is effectively a vote for "whoever wins". I don't want to risk another 2016.
Tom

I think Scott makes a halfway decent general election candidate, and a completely anonymous primary candidate. The GOP's biggest problem right now is even if convicted, Trump will win the nomination, unless they do something drastic. At some point, they've got to cut their losses. But I thought that was a long time ago. But they've double-down and kept winning (donations bonanza), that they didn't realize they were so in with the devil.

We don't just vote for Presidents. We vote for the team that the President brings with him or her.

Sure we wish Joe were younger. He doubtless wishes it, too. But with age comes stature and experience — who else could meet with Xi having known him for 30 years? — and a team of 1,200 younger, vigorous appointees that has shown itself to be effective. With Joe, you’re not getting an octogenarian; you’re getting that team of 1,200 led by a wise, decent, deeply good-hearted octogenarian who has earned the trust of our allies around the world. And united them in thwarting Russia’s aggression. Why would you change administrations when so much is going well — jobs for anyone who wants one, lower drug prices, chip manufacturing coming back to the US, a decade of revitalized infrastructure and rural broadband teed up — and when progress is being made on the things we all agree need improvement? Why would you mess with that?

Weaponizing the Justice Department et al? Whitewater! 5 years and $47 million dollars. Her emails! Benghazi! Hunter Biden's laptop!

We don't just vote for Presidents. We vote for the team that the President brings with him or her.

As long as he wins, I'm a HUGE fan of Sleepy Joe. He really does know/have "all the best people" in stark contrast to Trump's motley crew of criminals, thugs and loonies. I'm just afraid he cold lose because he has no idea about how to be bombastic and overbearing, which a large segment of the American electorate seems to demand..

Back
Top Bottom