• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woke is white arrogance

I think it should be noted that the media sources that complains about "woke" culture are some of the stupidest messaging outlets out there.

Carry on

You are most welcome.
You completely ignored the real issue and focused on the victim status of a super rich, good looking, celebrity who agrees with you.
No, I did not. I asked you about the basis for your claim of knowledge.
But he brought his personal issues to the field. In a way that negatively impacted corporate profits. He deliberately alienated a huge chunk of NFL consumers. Those consumers buy the tickets and watch the commercials and pay ridiculous money for swag that makes NFL profitable. Subtracting his damage to profitability from his value as a player probably left him a net liability.
Since the NFL makes most of its revenue from its TV contract, I seriously doubt Mr. Kaepernick's protest affected the profits of the NFL at all. Do you have any actual evidence to support your claim about the profitability or for that matter, his alienation of a huge chunk of NFL consumers?

Mr. Kaepernick made a choice. He vastly underestimated the negative reactions to his almost imperceptible act of protest by fans, the human shitpost that was POTUS and the cowardice of the NFL ownership.

Do I care what happened? Not really. But that does not mean I should blindly accept the kneejerk NFL apologia as fact.

Your Woke blinders are remarkable.

If Kaep was a great player and loved by the fans, the NFL would have offered him a bigger, better, contract. They do this for the money.

That's the evidence that Kaep wasn't worth much. The NFL wasn't willing to pay him enough to get him to sign a deal.

And frankly, your use of the term "almost imperceptible", is laughable. Even I heard about it. And even now, I'm hearing about it. Kaep managed to punch through my utter disinterest in NFL long enough to give me an even worse impression of BLM.

Sorry, super rich celebrities talking about how much of a victim they are is nauseating, to me. Too much like Trump complaining about how misunderstood he is by the nasty liberals.
Tom

Regardless of its merits, Kaepernick's method of protest was poorly chosen. He made it too easy to confuse his message. It upset people even sympathetic to his cause. I can appreciate just wanting to keep any politics out of sports, I was annoyed when Tebow knelt too. If CK did something outside the game instead, he probably would have gotten more support and could have played longer.

Bingo!

I don't support BLM. But that's not my point.

Kaep could do whatever he wanted to do on his own dime. And he had a lot of dimes, $25M worth.
Instead, he insisted on doing it on the NFL's dime.

And now nobody wants to pay him to promote his personal agenda. And The Woke consider him a victim, because nobody wants to pay him $25M.
Tom

He quietly knelt during the national anthem.

Anybody who has a problem with it is a sick hyper-authoritarian scumbag.

Regardless of its merits, Kaepernick's method of protest was poorly chosen. He made it too easy to confuse his message. It upset people even sympathetic to his cause. I can appreciate just wanting to keep any politics out of sports, I was annoyed when Tebow knelt too. If CK did something outside the game instead, he probably would have gotten more support and could have played longer.

Bingo!

I don't support BLM. But that's not my point.

Kaep could do whatever he wanted to do on his own dime. And he had a lot of dimes, $25M worth.
Instead, he insisted on doing it on the NFL's dime.

And now nobody wants to pay him to promote his personal agenda. And The Woke consider him a victim, because nobody wants to pay him $25M.
Tom

And now the NFL doesn't want to pay him enough to get him to play.

I don't care about any of this. It's the Wokesters who seem upset. I see them as the sick hyper-authoritarian scumbags. YMMV
Tom

I don't care about any of this. It's the Wokesters who seem upset. I see them as the sick hyper-authoritarian scumbags. YMMV
Tom

The NFL blackballed him because almost all the owners are old white men.

You were speaking of the lawsuit. You brought up Kaepernick wasn't that good (or that people were saying it). I brought McCown whose stats were flat compared to Kaepernick and still played 17 or so years.

Who is Mr McCown? Did he file a lawsuit against the NFL? Was he Wokester who thought his personal issues deserved air time, paid for by his employer?
Tom
You mean, kneeling during the political national anthem? Players were kneeling and a bunch of loudmouths complained a lot about it, like Janet Jackson's breast. I don't it is quite as simple as saying NFL consumers were against it. I know plenty either didn't care or supported the extremely brief form of protest that didn't impact play on the field one iota.

Before I go through your list of strawman arguments,

How did Janet Jackson's boobs get involved?
Sorry if I'm not straight enough to understand, but I'm not. Please explain it, clearly.
Tom

I don't think straight/gay has anything to do with it. Seems like two events that occurred in relation to american football that some people got mad about is the only connection. Janet's areolas have zero bearing on this discussion.

Although, really, I'm also kinda of the opinion that Colin's knees have no real bearing on the discussion either, so maybe I'm the one who's missing something.

Tom

Which is why there are so very few black NFL players, I assume?

Honestly, what does the color of the owners have to do with this? I rather suspect that the only color they care about is green.

Tom

Meaning, they aren't in it for the money? What?

Or is this one of those vague racist assertions, "they're White so they have to be racist. All White people are racist. Everybody knows that!"

Tom

Was he actually offered a contract that he refused?

We discussed this way back. I responded on post #146.

Part of the problem is "What does offering a contract" mean. If all the teams agree that Kaep isn't worth more than $50K/year, and that will require some stringent on field restrictions he is unlikely to agree to, so nobody offers so much as a meeting,

Has Kaep been blacklisted, or just priced himself so far out of the market that nobody makes an offer?
Tom

Part of the problem is "What does offering a contract" mean. If all the teams agree that Kaep isn't worth more than $50K/year, and that will require some stringent on field restrictions he is unlikely to agree to, so nobody offers so much as a meeting,

Has Kaep been blacklisted, or just priced himself so far out of the market that nobody makes an offer?
Tom

Nobody has entered negotiations with him. Nobody will invite him to camp.

He has been blackballed.

Which is why there are so very few black NFL players, I assume?

Honestly, what does the color of the owners have to do with this? I rather suspect that the only color they care about is green.

What does the color of people have to do with how they feel about Kaepernick and his legitimate protest?

He is a hero in the black community.

Blackballed by old white men who run the show.

Tom

Nobody has entered negotiations with him. Nobody will invite him to camp.

He has been blackballed.

How do you know this?

You're making some strong, but implausible, assertions.
Tom

Tom

So basically he was never offered a contract and was never even allowed to sit down and negotiate. So basically everything you are saying about this is being pulled from your nether regions.

Tom

So basically he was never offered a contract and was never even allowed to sit down and negotiate. So basically everything you are saying about this is being pulled from your nether regions.

No. But I'm sure it makes you feel woke to say so.

The fundamental premise here is that the NFL owners are more motivated by irrational racism than profit. Does that make sense to you?
Tom

The fundamental premise here is that the NFL owners are more motivated by irrational racism than profit. Does that make sense to you?
Tom

No, it's not.

Tom

No, it's not.

Please explain why you think that Kaep never accepted an offer.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom