• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2022 Midterm Elections - Results and Post Mortem

In CO-03, with votes from Otero and Mesa, Boebert is in front now by about 400, BUT county clerks have also announced there are more votes to count in Pueblo and Pitkin, which could help Frisch. Gonna be close, likely a recount.

In CO-03, with votes from Otero and Mesa, Boebert is in front now by about 400, BUT county clerks have also announced there are more votes to count in Pueblo and Pitkin, which could help Frisch. Gonna be close, likely a recount.
I was in her district all day on Tuesday. I drove through quite a bit of it. I saw ONE sign for her. Quite amazing really its a very red area, many other signs for R candidates. The folks I was meeting with are stanch R's. they told me they were very tired of her "circus", and she has never once graced her presence in their area. They consider her a sideshow.

Adam Frisch on the other hand had been there numerous times talking to them....

I don't know who they voted for though.

Btw, how did you feel when the former First Lady of Arkansas was sitting in a seat reserved for a New Yorkan Senator?

"Reserved for"?

Hillary was a New York citizen who was elected by New Yorkers.

How do you feel about a Texan Senator, born in Canada, to a Cuban and a "whatever you call people from NJ"?

His name is Raphael "Ted" Cruz.
Tom

Well, Mr. Market seems happy with yesterday's election. The S&P 500 closed up over 5.5% today.

Well, Mr. Market seems happy with yesterday's election. The S&P 500 closed up over 5.5% today.
Mr Market likes a divided government. Doesn't matter if many are crazy fascists. But I think that today's rally had more to do with the October inflation numbers trending down so maybe Mr Fed won't be thinking about raising rates again.

The market will probably go down tomorrow.

I was in her district all day on Tuesday. I drove through quite a bit of it. I saw ONE sign for her. Quite amazing really its a very red area, many other signs for R candidates. The folks I was meeting with are stanch R's. they told me they were very tired of her "circus", and she has never once graced her presence in their area. They consider her a sideshow.

Adam Frisch on the other hand had been there numerous times talking to them....

I don't know who they voted for though.

Yeah, I heard that in the prior election she did go around to every area personally, but not this time, while he did.

The latest vote drops have improved her numbers, she does have the advantage at this point. It's about game over.

Last edited:
Btw, how did you feel when the former First Lady of Arkansas was sitting in a seat reserved for a New Yorkan Senator?

"Reserved for"?

Hillary was a New York citizen who was elected by New Yorkers.
According to Wikipedia:

"Once she decided to run, the Clintons purchased a home at 15 Old House Lane in Chappaqua, New York, north of New York City, in September 1999"

Which means she wasn't a New York citizen, she only became one in order to run for the Senate.

So, I do think it is fair to ask if those criticizing Oz for running Pennsylvania would also criticize Clinton for running in New York.

As for the "reserved for", it is also fair to say that if the state's laws allow for this then there isn't a "reservation" for a citizen of the state to run for Senator of that state. The US Constitution just says that you have to be a citizen of that state when elected. I don't know if the States themselves can put further requirements on the eligibility.

GOP house means we have two years of deadlock.

No, depends on the bill. Either side can pick off a few members from the other side to join them, depending.

If it's close to 218-217, then it means nobody can resign, can't get sick or die, have to show up for every close vote, might even get party defections, maybe sweet committee enticements, etc.
There hasn't been much picking off these days. I do agree things could get done if someone got sick.

There hasn't been much picking off these days. I do agree things could get done if someone got sick

It has to be close enough, like in the Senate. And, for example, some of those new NY Republicans will have to be pretty moderate to keep their seat. Or say, Henry Cuellar might be pulled over for an abortion ban bill.

Hasn't been called, but Boebert does appear to have too big a lead now, which makes the Dems' slim chances slimmer, but not done yet.

According to Wikipedia:

"Once she decided to run, the Clintons purchased a home at 15 Old House Lane in Chappaqua, New York, north of New York City, in September 1999"

Which means she wasn't a New York citizen, she only became one in order to run for the Senate.

So, I do think it is fair to ask if those criticizing Oz for running Pennsylvania would also criticize Clinton for running in New York.

I was critical of her move at the time, although I was not yet a member of this board.

Hobbs is holding at 4% advantage in Maricopa, I think that is a safe win Arizona number. As long as she maintains or improves it.

Nevada's lead is slipping. Cortez Masto is 9,000 votes down with a good deal of mail-ins left in Clark County. Laxalt's strong areas are about done, so it comes down to Clark. Hopefully know by Monday.
Over 1,000 now. Boebert will win. We'll see if this tempers her shitty Governance.

Hobbs is holding at 4% advantage in Maricopa, I think that is a safe win Arizona number. As long as she maintains or improves it.

Nevada's lead is slipping. Cortez Masto is 9,000 votes down with a good deal of mail-ins left in Clark County. Laxalt's strong areas are about done, so it comes down to Clark. Hopefully know by Monday.
Over 1,000 now. Boebert will win. We'll see if this tempers her shitty Governance.
I so so so want Kari Lake to lose to Hobbs!

Don’t know if Pitkin is in. But I know some people there (actually did my WFR cert in Pitkin) and they’re a mix of ex spec ops and old hippies. Reliably anti-Cheato.

In a perfect world, the media should be holding all these Republicunts to the fire and ask them where the voter fraud is.

The key contests Democrats might hope to flip​

There are 10 uncalled House contests where Republicans currently lead, so for a majority, Democrats would need to win four of those. And their hopes overwhelmingly hinge on whether slow tallies of mail-in ballots could shift outcomes in their favor.

• One possibility is Colorado’s Third District, the site of a potential shocking upset against Boebert. She is leading her Democratic challenger Adam Frisch by a little over a thousand votes, with more to tally — as well as potential “cures” for mail ballots that were initially rejected.
  • In Oregon’s Fifth District, progressive Jamie McLeod-Skinner (D), who defeated a moderate incumbent in the Democratic primary, is currently trailing Lori Chavez-DeRemer (R) by 2.4 percentage points, with about one-quarter of the vote still uncounted.
  • In New York’s 22nd District, an open seat contest to replace the retiring moderate Rep. John Katko (R), Republican Brandon Williams leads by 1.6 percentage points.
  • Mail could also be a factor in Arizona’s Sixth District (where the Republican leads by about 2 percentage points).
But their hopes will probably hinge on California, another heavily vote-by-mail state, where there are several uncalled races where Republicans currently lead, and only about half the vote has been counted.

• The California 13th District’s open seat contest looks promising for Democrats to flip since Republican John Duarte is leading by only a 0.35 percent margin over Democrat Adam Gray, and just 58 percent of the vote is counted.
  • Rep. David Valadao (R) represents California’s 22nd District, which Joe Biden won handily, and he has been through this before. In 2018, he led his Democratic challenger by 8 points on election night, but as the mail count slowly came in, that lead vanished, and he fell behind on November 26 and wouldn’t regain his lead. (He won the seat back in 2020.) Now, he is leading by 8 points again. Will history repeat itself?
  • California’s Third District and California’s 41st District both narrowly went for Trump in 2020, and Republican candidates Kevin Kiley (CA-03) and Rep. Ken Calvert (CA-41) have single-digit leads, with about half of the vote uncounted.
  • Finally, California’s 27th District and 45th District feature Republican incumbents — Mike Garcia (CA-27) and Michelle Steel (CA-45) — who represent districts Biden won but who currently lead. Their final margins are expected to get closer, though it’s not clear whether the untallied votes will be sufficient to change the outcome.
So those are Democrats’ hopes — to be saved by mail ballots and California’s slow counting process again. Still, it’s worth noting that though the conventional wisdom is that late-counted mail ballots benefit Democrats, that is not necessarily true in every state or district. (Washington and California have nonpartisan primaries, and in some of these, Republicans gained ground as mail ballots were counted this year.)

Back
Top Bottom